Hi-Metal R

joppewo

The regult scout prototype was quite interesting, apart from an old IMAI kit I don't remember any other kit/model/figure of it.

Would be nice if Bandai completed the Destroid lineup, including also the Destroid Cheyenne from Macross 0 and the Destrpid Cheienne II from Macross Frontier.

Any chance of a Hi-Metal R version of YF 19 adn VF19? the old ones were quite badly proportionated, considering Bandai was able to do excellent VF22S... one can hope

4 minutes ago, Stranger said:

How good of a seller has HM-R been for Bandai? Since it seems  each release sells out - it seems pretty popular, right?

There have been a few slow sellers along the way. The worst offenders were probably Nexx's VF-2SS and the Focker VF-4G and it doesn't help that those were two of the more recent HMR releases. Of the VF-1 toys, the Messer toy hit bargain bins, the two-seaters never made it quite to steep discounts but they were available below MSRP for quite a while. The rest of the destroids did 'meh' as well. 

If the line's a slow seller, the problem can be easily solved by making all remaining releases a Tamashii web exclusive. Let the fans complete the collection after so many years..

I've been casually collecting the SHFiguarts Street Fighter line, and there were quite some shelf warmers with rather steep discounts. Yet that didn't stop Bandai from continuing the releases under web exclusives, all with increasingly higher prices. The latest, Sagat, is already the 4th straight web exclusive for this line..

Hi, for those interested in an update or want to know how shipping is going:

I had ordered a Monster from From Japan for a real good price - $160. Based on the box's  dimensions and using their calculator, it seemed I could ship it Japan Post Surface for like $40. After I purchased it though, they said they planned on using a box  about twice the size (for the cushioning) - but now shipping would be $140 since it would not qualify for surface anymore.

Based on people's advice here, I asked them to use a smaller box and specifically said I honestly don't care if the Monster's box isnt super protected. It took a few emails back and forth, but they did so and were able to ship using Surface. Shipped out on 7/20 and arrived in Texas today, 9/18.

Really happy with the outcome!! They put it in a box just barely bigger than the Monster's Box - enough room for about 2 layers of bubble wrap. I can't see any damage whatsover.

I want to thank everyone here for the advice and also From Japan for working with me and having great customer service. I will def use them again. I might just wait for shipping to return to normal, ha!!!

(The Monster was my first Hi-Metal R purchase but he arrives to be with his friends Max, Miriya, the Glaug and Regult). 

3 hours ago, Stranger said:

Hi, for those interested in an update or want to know how shipping is going:

I had ordered a Monster from From Japan for a real good price - $160. Based on the box's  dimensions and using their calculator, it seemed I could ship it Japan Post Surface for like $40. After I purchased it though, they said they planned on using a box  about twice the size (for the cushioning) - but now shipping would be $140 since it would not qualify for surface anymore.

Based on people's advice here, I asked them to use a smaller box and specifically said I honestly don't care if the Monster's box isnt super protected. It took a few emails back and forth, but they did so and were able to ship using Surface. Shipped out on 7/20 and arrived in Texas today, 9/18.

Really happy with the outcome!! They put it in a box just barely bigger than the Monster's Box - enough room for about 2 layers of bubble wrap. I can't see any damage whatsover.

I want to thank everyone here for the advice and also From Japan for working with me and having great customer service. I will def use them again. I might just wait for shipping to return to normal, ha!!!

(The Monster was my first Hi-Metal R purchase but he arrives to be with his friends Max, Miriya, the Glaug and Regult). 

There is a maximum size for shipping surface? Do you know what it is?

How much did surface end up costing?

Riddle me this HMR men. I want to make a SDFM VF-1S Super Hikaru. Is there an option other than painting the figure? Where would I even get a SDFM Hikaru with a SDFM space helmet/suit? What's my best option here?

How about a TV Roy? I'm going to be using a HM Roy minus the SSP's. But he's wearing the SDFM space suit. Any ideas?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

@sqidd doesn't Hikaru's VF-1J come with a TV pilot?

yes it does, one of the ultra-small TV pilots that Bandai seems to think are scale or something...

Here is the trick, and I don't think this is possible. Is there a way to get a Hikaru in there with his space helmet/suit? It's got Fast Packs. He needs his space gear!;)

Second choice would be his atmospheric suit. Not a whole lot more preferable to leaving Roy in there though when you factor in effort/cost. Both aren't cannon.

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

@sqidd doesn't Hikaru's VF-1J come with a TV pilot?

It does. How do you get him out though? I thought I was going to break something and stopped.

7 hours ago, slide said:

yes it does, one of the ultra-small TV pilots that Bandai seems to think are scale or something...

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

Toynami released a series of their 1/100 VFs that came with a pilot and a standing figure

rick-hunters-vf-1j-robotech-micronian-pilot-vol1-toynami-D_NQ_NP_872336-MLC32005885495_082019-F.jpg.b2e1b373d5631f4bf69a047cba933dd1.jpg

Even if it's Toynami, you may still use the pilot, @sqidd

Strong out of the box thinking! The trick question is which one of the forty billion Toynami releases has the figures?

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Here is the trick, and I don't think this is possible. Is there a way to get a Hikaru in there with his space helmet/suit? It's got Fast Packs. He needs his space gear!;)

Second choice would be his atmospheric suit. Not a whole lot more preferable to leaving Roy in there though when you factor in effort/cost. Both aren't cannon.

It does. How do you get him out though? I thought I was going to break something and stopped.

Strong out of the box thinking! The trick question is which one of the forty billion Toynami releases has the figures?

Thanks guys!

Anymoon.com has compiled all 40 billion releases. You will see there is a TV VF-1S Super Valkyrie and Rick in a Takatoku style box. 

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4033

Toynami-WonderCon-Super-VF-1S-1.jpg

67334034-FC80-43A1-B0C6-E2D31B27EDD6.jpeg.135091aabbfbc147d5b62a932a55e7dc.jpeg

84A4B0F4-1DD3-4375-AF44-8722C23BD417.jpeg.4086c2b5880a25cc0391e706cd11d67e.jpeg

The HM DYRL Roy pilot figure can be carefully removed from the HM VF-1S seat as he’s glued on.  Put the HMR TV Hikaru pilot onto the seat.  Paint a spare TV pilot figure to make a TV Roy pilot figure.

Edited by sh9000

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

Thanks guys!

The Toynami "pilots" would be difficult to use on a HMR; you get the whole cockpit with the pilot, in one piece, and only from the waist up. Paint is poor, typically just the front of the visor and chest straps.  Toynami hasn't changed their Veritech's, just added a piece between the canopy and toy with the same canopy peg holding it altogether.  The standing "figures" are a little better, but not by much.  They scale closer to Bandai's 1/72 DYRL VF-1S transforming model with Minmay figure, not 1/100 figures from the Mecha Base; spread them out over a diorama and they work though.  Not cool when your Hikaru/Rick is taller than your Captain Gloval, standing side by side.   All present releases (takatoku) retro boxes come with the figures, as did the Angel Bird releases from the previous Wave, figures should be visible from the outside of the box.

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

67334034-FC80-43A1-B0C6-E2D31B27EDD6.jpeg.135091aabbfbc147d5b62a932a55e7dc.jpeg

84A4B0F4-1DD3-4375-AF44-8722C23BD417.jpeg.4086c2b5880a25cc0391e706cd11d67e.jpeg

The HM DYRL Roy pilot figure can be carefully removed from the HM VF-1S seat as he’s glued on.  Drill a small hole on the seat so that the HMR TV Hikaru pilot can peg onto the seat.  Paint a spare TV pilot figure to make a TV Roy pilot figure.

Excellent, thank you sir?:hi:

I figured you would know this off the top of your head. Beats puling my GBP apart. Does the HMR GBP have a Hikaru pilot buried in there? I can't remember. Seems like a good place to steal one from.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Excellent, thank you sir?:hi:

I figured you would know this off the top of your head. Beats puling my GBP apart. Does the HMR GBP have a Hikaru pilot buried in there? I can't remember. Seems like a good place to steal one from.

Thanks!

I edited the post a little as it’s been a while since I’ve opened the cockpit of a HMR.  The seat has a peg, not the pilot figure.

The HMR Armored Valkyrie has a DYRL style pilot.

What was the load out in Hikaru's VF-1S in space/with Fast Packs? I can't find a pic. Was it six Reaction Warheads (three per side)? double mount on the outer pilons single on the inner? Or the other way around? Red tipped correct?

Thanks!

Just now, sqidd said:

What was the load out in Hikaru's SDFM VF-1S in space/with Fast Packs? I can't find a pic. Was it six Reaction Warheads (three per side)? double mount on the outer pilons single on the inner? Or the other way around? Red tipped correct?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, sqidd said:
1 hour ago, sqidd said:

What was the load out in Hikaru's VF-1S in space/with Fast Packs? I can't find a pic. Was it six Reaction Warheads (three per side)? double mount on the outer pilons single on the inner? Or the other way around? Red tipped correct?

Thanks!

06BA6BDA-5A6D-4CB5-8A89-D305D42EB0FE.png

This is coming along. All of the DYRL VF-1's are HM's now so they match. I cheated on the VF-1S Hikaru. I still need to steal and S head for it. It seems weird having a Hikaru S and And the same "action" display. It would be weird not to do it too?:unknw:

More work to do on the SDFM side. The Roy S needs the pilot painted in SDFM colors. The Hikaru 1S needs a Hikaru pilot (I have one) and red tips on the reaction missiles. M&M needs the load out fixed and red tipped reaction missiles too? I need to dig the D's box out and get the Minmay figure out. Getting there though. The custom SDFM SDF-1 I commissioned (to replace that custom) is going to be done soon too!:yahoo:

IMG_7183.thumb.JPG.32c8ee679141c090fca4378e4e6b424e.JPG

IMG_7184.thumb.JPG.b2ccffbabbdd278a57d39c9e30885db6.JPG

IMG_7185.thumb.JPG.247842db7934190c726382f8ff725727.JPG

Edited by sqidd

2 hours ago, vf1 said:

Destroid Monster available from Mandarake (Unopened, package heavily damaged) for 17,000 yen

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1126967776&ref=list&layout=1&keyword=macross&lang=en

If shipping weren't so crazy right now, I'd be all over this.  I almost bought this when it came available this morning. Sooooooooo tempting.