Hi-Metal R

joppewo

5 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Right, the strike (and now super) pack from Bandai seems to be a step back without the full interior details, especially because I thought that’s what the DX “roadmap” showed with the grey samples back in 2018. 

I doubt that the Bandai DX GBP will have any more advanced features than the Yamato designs (from both 1/48 and 1/60) as well. I just don’t think Bandai will have individual missiles like the Yamato 1/48 did. Maybe a TWE “missile effect parts” or something....:rolleyes:

Missiles sold separately!:D

Does anyone have the Hi-Metal R Monster box and can measure its dimensions for me? As mentioned, I purchased one from FromJapan over the weekend.

I used their shipping estimator and put in Monster's dimensions I found on Amazon and HLJ here: https://www.hlj.com/hi-metal-r-hwr-00-mkii-destroid-monster-bann05211 as 30.2cm x 30.0cm x 27.1cm / 2.290 kg

Using those dimensions, their estimate was 2900 yen.

But now that the item has arrived to them, they are saying the final packing is 

Weight: 3.47 kg     Dimensions: 61×42×34 cm

That difference now makes the cheapest packing option 13,453 yen - which is a $100 difference!!!!

Can someone let me know the actual dimensions of the box please? Thank you

12 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Does anyone have the Hi-Metal R Monster box and can measure its dimensions for me? As mentioned, I purchased one from FromJapan over the weekend.

I used their shipping estimator and put in Monster's dimensions I found on Amazon and HLJ here: https://www.hlj.com/hi-metal-r-hwr-00-mkii-destroid-monster-bann05211 as 30.2cm x 30.0cm x 27.1cm / 2.290 kg

That difference now makes the cheapest packing option 13,453 yen - which is a $100 difference!!!!

Give me a couple minutes and I'll let you know, but HLJ is right. The box is a cube, 61 and 42 centimeters are wrong.

It is heavy though.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

31 minutes ago, Stranger said:

You're not getting the Monster box shipped, you're getting the Monster box packed in a bigger box and shipped.  They have great customer service, but I've had more than one shipping heart attack with them.  The really bad part is you can't tell them to change it, it's up the to packing manager of the day.

27 minutes ago, Stranger said:

FJ need to fix the item box into a shipping box. They have limited choices of shipping box sizes, so to fix your item in, they might need to use a box with much larger than necessary dimension (61cm instead of 34, because they do not have a box with 34x42x34).

From experience with FJ, they use boxes that have a fixed x and y size, with "adjustable height". Ie the shipping box can be reduce in height by folding down the box along pre-scored (from box factory) line along the box.

My strategy is to keep the item in storage and order more items before the storage deadline so that I can combine shipping to use up the extra space in the shipping box.

Just now, Stranger said:

At this point, I'd rather they just wrap it in shipping paper and let the styrofoam protect the toy so I am not paying $100 for a box! I am going to message them that as a compromise. 

They won't do it, as I said, it says in their fine print when you ready for shipping, that it's up to the shipping manager of the day.  Welcome to try though.  At the best of times shipping from Japan is an arm and a leg.  This is not the best of times. 

1 minute ago, levzloi said:

You're not getting the Monster box shipped, you're getting the Monster box packed in a bigger box and shipped.  They have great customer service, but I've had more than one shipping heart attack with them.  The really bad part is you can't tell them to change it, it's up the to packing manager of the day.

True.

From my experience, I have found that they do choose the shipping box and organize the items in them to reduce shipping cost.

These packaging worker is doing this all day long and they do seems to have a good sense on how to do it "right".

The only thing that I have not seen them do is to "customize" a shipping box entirely (ie cut down x y ans z to fix). They work with the limited box sizes they have (with adjustable height).

I can totally understand that, I have tried to customize shipping box for my buyer when I am selling. It take a lot of effort.

They also need to be responsible on making sure the packaging is secure enough to provide protection during shipping.

1 minute ago, Stranger said:

At this point, I'd rather they just wrap it in shipping paper and let the styrofoam protect the toy so I am not paying $100 for a box! I am going to message them that as a compromise. 

There is a 0% chance they do that.  You might be able to come to some compromise on a smaller box, but I doubt it.

The shipping is always the problem with the Monster.  You can usually find it at a decent mark-down, but getting it out of Japan is costly.  If  you're patient, your best bet is to try to find someone here that is selling one, as they generally "eat" most of the shipping cost for you.  I got mine for $175 shipped from a member on here a few years ago, and I've seen others sell in the sub $200 range (shipped) on this site.

It sounds like you already purchased, though.  So maybe just a word of advice for anyone else that might read this that is interested in the Monster.

The crap thing is that they're not giving you the option to ship by Ferry. Even if they needed to put it in a huge box, they should still be able to ship it ferry. For whatever reason, once the box gets too big, they don't let you go by ferry which makes ZERO sense. My only guess is that their plain brown boxes only get so big and after that they use specialty boxes provided by FedEx or UPS and thus have to use that service.

Whats frustrating is that I was going to originally buy from a different site from Asia that had a brand new copy (FromJapans one was used) that would have been $200 plus $50 shipping. So this used copy will end up costing $40 more if they don't go down on the shipping. I am gonna try letting them know that the toy box being protected during shipping isnt a concern for me, so hopefully they can ship in smaller box or wrap it as a compromise. (I would rather trust the styrofoam to protect the toy itself).

14 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Whats frustrating is that I was going to originally buy from a different site from Asia that had a brand new copy (FromJapans one was used) that would have been $200 plus $50 shipping. So this used copy will end up costing $40 more if they don't go down on the shipping. I am gonna try letting them know that the toy box being protected during shipping isnt a concern for me, so hopefully they can ship in smaller box or wrap it as a compromise. (I would rather trust the styrofoam to protect the toy itself).

I seems to remember that at the shipping instruction page at FJ, when you are ask to choose the shipping method, the "invalid" options are greyed out.

And I have the impression that for each greyed out option, there is a note about what limitation (size, weight etc) the is cause the option be to greyed out.

That might give you more info about why surface (should cost about 4000 yen) is not available.

15 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Generally shipping isn't quite that bad, but this is a very large/heavy toy, the other line to be ware of shipping on is the Yamato 1/48's, especially the supers and even more so the stealth strike, nearly cried myself to sleep that night after seeing the shipping costs.

21 minutes ago, vladykins said:

These are sitting at The Jungle right now, but they aren't shipping anything out with Japan Post down, so you can buy them but will have to wait to get them:

image.png.c8f59c3b67efc31d44acbe2063d3745e.png

Yeah I'e been eyeing the set but I already have 5 orders in with them and the not shipping thing is making me nervous even though they're reputable.

6 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

HMR would be the very last thing I would ever let go.

The DX VF-1’s, I have two of each and love them, they are incredible.

But something is different about the HMR, they are just fun I guess.  Fun as hell.

I agree. I had to sell the 2 DXs I had, but I'm keeping the HMRs

6 hours ago, Stranger said:

What you put in for estimate is just the item.   You will really need to put in the total weight and shipping box size. which is the shipping box that your item will be in along with the added weight of the packaging supply and shipping box.  The shipping box alone can weight 800g and above.   So 2900 yen was never gonna happen in the first place.  If only you would have brought it up earlier in the post , many members would be able to tell you that shipping will be much higher than that.   I think 1 member reply to you that shipping would be at least $50 and that was before the Covid-19 and Japanpost Suspension .  So right now shipping is much more expensive because Fedex and DHL goes by DIM Weight which the total weight will also depending on the size of the box.  

Since FromJapan can hold your item for up to 45 days.  you can try to just hold it in their warehouse and see if EMS would resume or if FedEx Economy would resume for the USA within that time frame.   Of course you can and should email and ask if they can ship it by surface mail (ferry) too.   There is no harm in asking.   Surface mail/Ferry takes about 2 months. 

5 minutes ago, F360 said:

Since FromJapan can hold your item for up to 45 days.  you can try to just hold it in their warehouse and see if EMS would resume or if FedEx Economy would resume for the USA within that time frame.   Of course you can and should email and ask if they can ship it by surface mail (ferry) too.   There is no harm in asking.   Surface mail/Ferry takes about 2 months. 

Does anyone know the exact limit for Japan Post Surface? Surface is still shipping to the US (and FromJapan is using them for orders), but FromJapan says the package is over the size/wight limit. However, the JapanPost website here: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html#:~:text=Features of International Parcel Post,weight limit is 30 kg.

seems to suggest that weight limit is 30kg (my package is under 4 kg) and length needs to be under 1.5 meters (and they're giving a length of 61cm x 42 x 34 for my package). 

So I am hoping that maybe that they actually can use Surface? 

9 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Got a good deal on the 2 Regults and the Regult Missile Type Set for $260 shipped.

Wow, that's a damn good deal. MSRP (for all of those together) would have been around $300 before shipping.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

17 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Does anyone know the exact limit for Japan Post Surface? Surface is still shipping to the US (and FromJapan is using them for orders), but FromJapan says the package is over the size/wight limit. However, the JapanPost website here: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html#:~:text=Features of International Parcel Post,weight limit is 30 kg.

seems to suggest that weight limit is 30kg (my package is under 4 kg) and length needs to be under 1.5 meters (and they're giving a length of 61cm x 42 x 34 for my package). 

So I am hoping that maybe that they actually can use Surface? 

Surface mail also have lower insurance so that could also be a reason why it's grey out.   But ask them first, with covid-19 maybe they can work something out.   

I've never heard of a weight limit for Surface/Ferry shipping. In my experience, the larger and heavier the package, the more comparatively economical it is to use. Because of this, I try to bundle as many items together as possible and I've had pretty bix boxes full of stuff shipped on many occasions. Unfortunately, I don't remember the actual weights but I know for sure that a lot of them were much bigger and heavier than a single HMR Monster.