Hi-Metal R

joppewo

1 hour ago, Bing0 said:

That’s what I thought to, cause there’s a gap there but it won’t budge when I push on it

I had the same issue with my VE-1.

I don't recommend pushing too hard on the fuselage because the piece of plastic that attaches it to the body is actually incredibly thin.

I decided to remove the fuselage, however it was a frustrating and nerve wracking task.

I recall using an x-acto knife to slice through as much of the adhesive attaching the fuselage to the body, however due to the tight fit I couldn't separate the pieces entirely.

So, I ended up removing the nose cone and splitting the fuselage down the middle in order to loosen the remaining adhesive. Splitting the fuselage will most likely break the few pegs that actually hold it together (as more adhesive was used on those).

Once I was able to remove the fuselage, I trimmed the plastic spurs that ultimately led to that annoying gap.

As difficult as it was dismantling, putting the fuselage back together proved even more problematic due to the section between the nose cone and the cockpit. That is actually two separate pieces with a closed hook inside that is used to attach it to the cockpit section. If/when you separate the fuselage, that loop/hook inside is going to be broken. Hooking that back on to the fuselage took the most effort due to the small space inside. I could have just glued it back on, but on the off chance that I ever decided to dismantle it again I decided  to avoid using adhesive there.

I'm glad I was able to remove my gap, but in retrospect I probably should have just learned to live with it...because there were a few places where dismantling it could have resulted in a complete loss.

Happy to provide any additional information to help.

*You can see my original post with gap pictures from May 13, 2019 in my history.

Edited by RDX17
Additional text.

4 minutes ago, Bing0 said:

Thanks for all the help and info everyone! I’m a new at this hobby and don’t want to break anything trying to fix the gap so I’m just going to have to live with it. 

Yeah, I think that's the best option.

For what it's worth, I think the VE-1 is the only release that I've personally had an issue with.

I know there have been other issues with folks getting two right or left leg armors, some grumbling about matching orange paint/plastic (including from me), but for the most part I think the HMR line has been fairly solid in terms of quality control.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, sh9000 said:

1B5327CB-04D6-497E-810A-9840FF7F8445.thumb.jpeg.2fd87ac4bc6a74567c5f31367d908490.jpeg

Nice view.

DUUDE, SWEEET!

I can call this the "All Macross" display.

> Armored configuration 

> Clean configuration

> Monster & squad. 

You sir have a beautifully displayed, and vastly varied collection!

Not to take away from all the other members, and their collections, but i am loving this.

9 hours ago, Bing0 said:

That’s what I thought to, cause there’s a gap there but it won’t budge when I push on it

If you’re still interested in trying and if the fuselage is removable, then this method might work.  To check if it is, remove the head, fold up the neck connector, and slide the fuselage out.

9DC52011-D520-43FB-B485-095FDA3EB261.thumb.jpeg.8f08daec1f065fd7028fdfbff5e231af.jpeg

9867338F-B562-4F23-A568-9D2C72520527.thumb.jpeg.4c6a2f1514cc9b8620eac82902f28910.jpeg

Shave off any excess glue in the slit and on the tab.  After this the fuselage should slide completely back in and lined up.

If the fuselage is glued in place to the tab incorrectly and creates the gap, then the fuselage is not removable to begin with.  The way to make it removable is to remove the chest piece, stick a knife in the slit parallel with the tab (be careful not to injure your fingers or damage the plastic), and shave off the glue holding the fuselage and tab together.  Then do the other steps mentioned.  I made the fuselage on one of my VF-1Ds removable when it didn’t come that way from the factory.

4 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

DUUDE, SWEEET!

I can call this the "All Macross" display.

> Armored configuration 

> Clean configuration

> Monster & squad. 

You sir have a beautifully displayed, and vastly varied collection!

Not to take away from all the other members, and their collections, but i am loving this.

Thanks @vlenhoff.  I had a lot of fun putting it together.  The detolf is in my hallway so I love looking at it everyday.

Edited by sh9000

9000, thanks for the help! But the fuselage is stuck to the tabs like a rock, knowing my luck if I slit a knife in the tabs they will break lol but I’ll definitely give that method a try when I acquire more valks, don’t want to break it since I only have 2 valks as of now :(

9 hours ago, Bing0 said:

9000, thanks for the help! But the fuselage is stuck to the tabs like a rock, knowing my luck if I slit a knife in the tabs they will break lol but I’ll definitely give that method a try when I acquire more valks, don’t want to break it since I only have 2 valks as of now :(

No problem.  I think I’ll make the fuselage removable on my spare VE-1.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:06 AM, Bing0 said:

Thanks for all the help and info everyone! I’m new at this hobby and don’t want to break anything trying to fix the gap so I’m just going to have to live with it. 

A5C0D2F4-D957-45BC-8F84-221C203B59DA.jpeg

Funny, I have never noticed this gap in any of my HMR 1422357071_browniefleet.thumb.jpg.009a6ae6b33158d7ef5385aef5201c74.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm going to be kitbashing this version with the FB2012 one for the wing stripes, head, and possibly other parts and give Hikaru an upgrade, I think. :) 

That's a great idea. I understand having FB2012 anime accuracy, but wing stripes definitely should have been there in the original design along with the vent stripes.

Edited by Aaadriiann

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm going to be kitbashing this version with the FB2012 one for the wing stripes, head, and possibly other parts and give Hikaru an upgrade, I think. :) 

Will you be painting the wings and head if they release the VF-4G in grey?

Probably not going to that effort, I thought it was in the same white as the FB2012 one based on the promo photos.  All I'm really interested in is color swapping for variety without having to paint anything myself. 

If it is gray, I'll probably do a reverse swap, and put the tan nosecone and different fins/tails from the 2012 one on this one, then strip off the giant honking blocks of black on the inner wings.

Edited by Chronocidal