Hi-Metal R

joppewo

You know, while I am glad they did make a VF-4 lighting as I really love the fighter design, I am honestly baffled by the fact that Bandai has never released more iconic valks like the YF-19 or YF-21 in the Hi Metal R Line. Didn't they tease as YF-21 Hi Metal R way back in 2010? Whatever happened to that?

4 minutes ago, GobotFool said:

You know, while I am glad they did make a VF-4 lighting as I really love the fighter design, I am honestly baffled by the fact that Bandai has never released more iconic valks like the YF-19 or YF-21 in the Hi Metal R Line. Didn't they tease as YF-21 Hi Metal R way back in 2010? Whatever happened to that?

Hi-Metal R is not the same thing as the old Hi-Metal line even if the molds for the VF-1 are 99% the same.  They appear to be going in roughly order of appearance.  Maybe the 21 will show up again at some point, we don't know.  The 19 hasn't appeared again after the Firevalk and S were released in the old line (with good reason, because they were utter garbage.)  The 21 is likely also not nearly as well developed as it could be today.

Edited by Mommar

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

Hi-Metal R is not the same thing as the old Hi-Metal line even if the molds for the VF-1 are 99% the same.  They appear to be going in roughly order of appearance.  Maybe the 21 will show up again at some point, we don't know.  The 19 hasn't appeared again after the Firevalk and S were released (with good reason, because they were utter garbage.)  The 21 is likely also not nearly as well developed as it could be today.

Yeah, I agree that Firevalk mold was pretty awful. The arms always fell off on mine. I all I can do is hope they don't try to salvage that mold to make a YF-19 and they just go for a completely new mold eventually.

13 minutes ago, GobotFool said:

Yeah, I agree that Firevalk mold was pretty awful. The arms always fell off on mine. I all I can do is hope they don't try to salvage that mold to make a YF-19 and they just go for a completely new mold eventually.

They were working on a brand new YF-19 and YF-21 when the line went under many years ago.

I actually never minded the old HM VF-19 mold, in fact I even slightly preferred the proportions to the Yamato VF-19 mold, since I always thought the Yamato's nose felt too short, or the leading edge extension too long.  The design is actually very similar between the two as well, especially the hip mechanism.

It was just everything else that was lousy about the design, from the fiddly bits like the plug-in hand covers, to the complete lack of landing gear or gunpod mount.

I think with a little work, they could easily upgrade that mold to be something more enjoyable.  They just need to bring it up to the standards of the other HMR releases, and I could see myself grabbing a few easily.

I'll be disappointed if there's no further Zentran releases.  I did just order a 3D printer so if we get nothing else I'll just have to print out some STLs or, god forbid, learn how to CAD up my own.

8 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

https://tamashii.jp/special/tamashii_nation/exhibition.php

Doesn't look like there'll be any HMR announcements...

It does say "and more" and we know they made a giant VF-1S for a display so Macross will be there. If it will be more than just a DX VF-1S... we shall see

1 hour ago, sharky said:

Honestly, I'll be happy to see anything as long as it's not a Valkyrie.

I could think of lots of VF-1 toys missing from my HMR universe and I would love to see HMR become the most complete Macross universe over time.

8 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

https://tamashii.jp/special/tamashii_nation/exhibition.php

Doesn't look like there'll be any HMR announcements...

It lists Hi Metal R on that page if you click on the "Robot Center" tab...

It could just be the Focker VF-4 we've already seen, but I'm holding out hope for at least one more announcement.

Edited by HardlyNever

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I could think of lots of VF-1 toys missing from my HMR universe and I would love to see HMR become the most complete Macross universe over time.

This.

2 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

It lists Hi Metal R on that page if you click on the "Robot Center" tab...

It could just be the Focker VF-4 we've already seen, but I'm holding out hope for at least one more announcement.

And this.

1 hour ago, RDX17 said:

Looking over the past releases, I just realized there were only two HMR Macross in 2019: the VF-4 in March followed by the VF-1D in April.

Here's hoping we see a few more in addition to the VF-4G in 2020.

Picked up both releases!

I want more zentraedi mecha and Destroids!!!

My top ten non-Valkyrie wants for HMR (no particular order):

1. Tomahawk

2. Phalanx

3. Queadluun-Rau TV

4. Nousjadeul-Ger DYRL

5. Nousjadeul-Ger TV

6. Queadluun-Rau DYRL

7. Regult Scout

8. Gnerl

9. X-9 Ghost

10. Destroid Cheyenne

My top ten Valkyrie wants for HMR (no particular order):