Hi-Metal R

joppewo

9 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

FYI, the Ikea website says the Detolf has a max load per shelf of about 8 pounds.  They are probably being safe on that estimate, by a pound or so, but you might be approached that weight on some of those shelves.

If you've had them like that for a while, I'd assume it is probably fine.  Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, my Macross Detolfs are the least overcrowded of all my cabinets. It's my other Detolfs that are making worrying metallic creaking sounds most days (touch wood as they've been loaded like that forever...) Here's an example of a few of my non-Macross Gokins. Some weigh a lot. Wish I could find a more room to display my collections, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Been thinking of selling some stuff as I just can't stand toys that just sit in boxes. Utterly pointless imo unless you only collect to invest (and scalpers). Problem is some pieces, especially vintage stuff I've had for decades and there's no way I could ever afford today's insane prices if I ever wanted to get them back. Like....never....

IMG_6954.JPG

Might try replacing the glass shelves with plexiglass or other higher-strength transparent plastic?

I totally feel you about having things on display, though I'm dreading the hours it's going to take me to pull out, transform, pose, and armor up all my figures that went back in their boxes for the move.

14 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Just rotate what you have. Keeps the display looking fresh and puts all your toys into use at some point.

I concur. ^_^

( I always forget who introduces me to this clip in the Gundam thread. Hahaha! :lol:  )

36 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Might try replacing the glass shelves with plexiglass or other higher-strength transparent plastic?

I totally feel you about having things on display, though I'm dreading the hours it's going to take me to pull out, transform, pose, and armor up all my figures that went back in their boxes for the move.

Lol. I've done exactly that...not to replace the glass shelving though but to add additional shelves to some of my Detolfs :D. Essentially splitting one Detolfs shelf into 2....Granted on the plexiglass shelves I only display light-ish Popy and co spaceships and smaller bots. so no issues here....But I truly need to lighten the weigh....I've seen pics of crashed Detolfs....Gives you shivers down your spine..... I've even built my own Detolf as I needed one with one less 'square/shelf'. It has glass shelves but no glass partitions on the sides nor back....It's a 'Ghettolf'.:lol:

26 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Just rotate what you have. Keeps the display looking fresh and puts all your toys into use at some point.

Rotating what's on display at any given time would be ideal....But with half of the boxes in storage, the others in the attic, some in a garage. I mostly only have easy access to the boxes from the most recent purchases :unsure:.  Did I mention my extensive collection of Japanese retro consoles and games....From the 80's until today....A lot of my VF's (those in Fighter mode from Macross, Macross Plus,7, Zero to Macross Frontier are actually displayed on top of those Ikea's old wooden CD shelves that I've turned horizontally in order to be able to use them as additional display space. That and I live in a flat.....Anyway.....I think the answer would be to stop hoarding stuff and getting rid of some pieces now and again.:ph34r:

22 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I concur. ^_^

Don't you jinx my Detolfs ...The sound of breaking glass in that scene...Gonna have cold sweats for a month every time I'll hear some creaking coming from my shelves.  :shok:

Anyway, sorry I rambled so much....That's why I mostly tend to lurk. But thanks for the advice (and not telling me off for putting some 'non HMR related' blablas in the thread...It all started when I looked at my Hi Metal housing crisis...just got slightly sidetracked) 

7 minutes ago, Kinzoku VF said:

Don't you jinx my Detolfs ...The sound of breaking glass in that scene...Gonna have cold sweats for a month every time I'll hear some creaking coming from my shelves.  :shok:

Anyway, sorry I rambled so much....That's why I mostly tend to lurk. But thanks for the advice (and not telling me off for putting some 'non HMR related' blablas in the thread...It all started when I looked at my Hi Metal housing crisis...just got slightly sidetracked) 

Just be careful though. And have it always on the lookout on those shelf. Always be prepared, sir. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Kinzoku VF said:

Lol. I've done exactly that...not to replace the glass shelving though but to add additional shelves to some of my Detolfs :D. Essentially splitting one Detolfs shelf into 2....Granted on the plexiglass shelves I only display light-ish Popy and co spaceships and smaller bots. so no issues here....But I truly need to lighten the weigh....I've seen pics of crashed Detolfs....Gives you shivers down your spine..... I've even built my own Detolf as I needed one with one less 'square/shelf'. It has glass shelves but no glass partitions on the sides nor back....It's a 'Ghettolf'.:lol:

Rotating what's on display at any given time would be ideal....But with half of the boxes in storage, the others in the attic, some in a garage. I mostly only have easy access to the boxes from the most recent purchases :unsure:.  Did I mention my extensive collection of Japanese retro consoles and games....From the 80's until today....A lot of my VF's (those in Fighter mode from Macross, Macross Plus,7, Zero to Macross Frontier are actually displayed on top of those Ikea's old wooden CD shelves that I've turned horizontally in order to be able to use them as additional display space. That and I live in a flat.....Anyway.....I think the answer would be to stop hoarding stuff and getting rid of some pieces now and again.:ph34r:

Haha, yeah you have to find a way and make display space out of whatever you can. I do the same. I have about three rooms worth of boxes stacked from floor to ceiling so I know all to well the issues of having too much of a good thing, lol. 

16 hours ago, Slave IV said:

That's what I do.  I couldn't possibly display everything.  I'd say about once a year or so I clear a shelf and put everything away.  Then I put something out that I got recently or simply want to see again.  My dream is to some day build little diorama scenes custom to the Detolf shelf size.  Just never seem to find the time.  For sure, that's what I'll be doing in retirement.  LOL! :lol:

I need to pull the trigger on that kit sooner rather than later.  I keep looking at it  and I keep saying to myself I'll get it later.  I know it will probably go OOP at some point, and then I will be filled with regret.

1 hour ago, Keq said:

Could someone help out looking for the 1/100 Armoured hanger in oz as the shipping from Japan to Australia is about the same as the kit, cheers

10188548a.jpg

Edited by sharky

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Curse you all and your 1/100 aircraft obsessions... I caved and ordered the F-14D and Jolly Roger F-4.. CD Japan warned me my points were expiring, and I had enough to basically cover shipping, so figured I'd better make use of that. :p 

Pretty much what I did too. Welcome to the club! The good thing is I don't think you will be disappointed when you get them. Very nice models. 

I think my only disappointment is that I can't get the VF-84 F-14A instead.  I've already got several 1/72 die-cast F-14s though, and an entire fleet of plastic models I need to build.

I've noticed a trend in my collecting actually... I think if you took stock of my entire stash of aircraft and vehicle representations across all media, probably a full 50% is made up entirely of F-14s, VF-1s, VF-19s, and X-wings. :lol: 

47 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think my only disappointment is that I can't get the VF-84 F-14A instead.  I've already got several 1/72 die-cast F-14s though, and an entire fleet of plastic models I need to build.

I've noticed a trend in my collecting actually... I think if you took stock of my entire stash of aircraft and vehicle representations across all media, probably a full 50% is made up entirely of F-14s, VF-1s, VF-19s, and X-wings. :lol: 

Haha yeah. That was my exact reasoning for not getting into this line too. I wanted the Jolly Rogers deco and wasn't going to pay the premium for it. Been a huge F-14 fan since I can remember, definitely way before Top Gun but that was a plus to me.  

Eh, I think I'll be good with the one.  I've already got five die-cast F-14s in 1/72 (four Calibre Wings, and one Century), and while they make nice displays, at the end of the day, I'm always noticing the little nit-picky things like giant seams between metal parts, and all the little inaccuracies that are easy to correct on plastic kits, so I just go back to making my own. :p 

I'm glad I had CDJ points to burn, but these'll likely go on my desk at work.  I've been meaning to display a few kits I have, but none of them are far enough along to really display yet.

The Valk is tiny compared to the f14.

the f14 is way cheaper also has more detail might have to get some more soon

Also have been messing around with the filter app you guys have been using would be a good way to Learn how to cell shade paint on models :)

1 hour ago, fifbeat said:

Great photos guys.

Curious: Does anyone have a good photo of ALL their Macross HMR lines together? (including all enemy mecha). I'd like to see 'em as a complete group. 

Some photos courtesy of @jenius Anymoon site:

Bandai-HMR-Missile-Regult-13.jpg

HMR-Defender-12.jpg

HMR-Defender-13.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm