Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Man, I must say I'm disappointed in this VF-1D release.  In addition to aforementioned lack of a seated Minmei, and orange back panel, One of my two came with the following:

448369700_IMG_3355(2).thumb.JPG.6dd614bf3a4222a4a6acf12d88790abb.JPG

Here we have a twisted wheel on the starboard maingear, and a half-painted raised seat accessory.  Luckily for me, I bought 2, (which i almost never buy duplicates but wanted to stock up for future customizing) so the second one had intact parts for these two issues.

Finally, the HMR VF-1D does not come with hardpoint wings.  Only smooth and the chibi battroid one wing piece.  Now I realize for some this might not matter, but it was a shock to me.  I don't blame bandai for not including missiles, because we all probably have piles of those.  But to not include hardpoint wings in the VF-1D's colorscheme... why?  I mean, I can take some from one of my brownies to make my custom combat 1D, but it just kinda sucks.  First world problem, i know....

8 minutes ago, DWN013 said:

Finally, the HMR VF-1D does not come with hardpoint wings.  Only smooth and the chibi battroid one wing piece.  Now I realize for some this might not matter, but it was a shock to me.  I don't blame bandai for not including missiles, because we all probably have piles of those.  But to not include hardpoint wings in the VF-1D's colorscheme... why?  I mean, I can take some from one of my brownies to make my custom combat 1D, but it just kinda sucks.  First world problem, i know....

The VF-1D is a training unit, so I'm not sure it's supposed to be able to carry missiles... :unsure:

33 minutes ago, DWN013 said:

Man, I must say I'm disappointed in this VF-1D release.  In addition to aforementioned lack of a seated Minmei, and orange back panel, One of my two came with the following:

Here we have a twisted wheel on the starboard maingear, and a half-painted raised seat accessory.  Luckily for me, I bought 2, (which i almost never buy duplicates but wanted to stock up for future customizing) so the second one had intact parts for these two issues.

"I want Bandai to be the exclusive producer of Macross toys." 

6 hours ago, rdrunner said:

You know, I wasn’t a believer in the HMR series but bought my first one because I am a sucker for the GBP armour. Then over time it had grown on me, because I can really play with these unlike the 1/60’s or even the 1/48’s that I felt I had to transform with utmost care, for fear that I break an out-of-production figure. It’s like handling the 1/55 chunky monkey again - you can just mess with it and have some real fun. 

Another draw to the line is the promise of enemy mecha and non-valk variants like the Destroids and the Monster. These really make the collection much more interesting and due to their size, it’s unlikely that we will see them in other larger scales anytime soon. 

But anyway I understand and respect your decision, hopefully you’ll have luck getting more of the old 1/60’s or the new DX VF-1 line. 

I originally bought the HMR “just because”  because why would i need these little things when I have 1/60’s.  But they really have grown on me.  cool little line. 

1 hour ago, Tober said:

The VF-1D is a training unit, so I'm not sure it's supposed to be able to carry missiles... :unsure:

It was often used for training, but I don’t think that was its exclusive purpose. Per the mecha manual:

“...but nonetheless was an active-service variable fighter. A number of VF-1D units were also deployed as advanced training variable fighters, for live weapons and full combat functionality instruction.”

I would have liked to see a hardpoint option for the wings, but then Bandai would essentially have had to include missiles with it.

13 hours ago, tekering said:

1610711237_DYRLMinmayintheback.jpg.8ebccc636e017a99fdcf19389be7b1a4.jpg

She scales a little large, but she fits in the seat...

Hikkies.jpg.e087df5d19bdbc800eb086bc523df7c5.jpg

I must say, Bandai did a much better job with the helmet this time around.

And, since you suggested using Plastic Cretins Minmay as well:

1388506498_cretinintheback.jpg.6236e999b476439ef869be86ad7ae5f7.jpg

There's not enough leg room in the back, unless you cut off her feet...

1583689976_cretinupfront.jpg.fc937b072d9c8b6e2a828ea35797d647.jpg

...but you could always let her sit up front.  :p

Thanks for the pics.  This gives me some ideas.

7 hours ago, seti88 said:

The appeal of HMR is apparent when you have a whole shelf lined-up....https://twitter.com/REV_PINK/status/1119444180600676352

D4kQiXHVUAIZ2Bp.jpg.625daa428ba40f7c1e5bf3037a21436e.jpg

am sure sh9000 has more, but dont forget what 1/100 lacks in detail/color accuracy or what not, it makes up in numbers.

I find though, there isn't one scale is better than the other. 
It just depends what you make out of your collection, how much you like it and how much it enhances your shelf/den/room/etc....

besides having a shelf of 1/60 valks is incredible!

From rdrunner's pics...57A3DEC7-D89B-419E-8E80-EB8F55F8311F.thumb.jpeg.9d0b55110ab54edd84be1a1689fc231d.thumb.jpeg.6394ac07b11d8a8b53edfa13b1380cb5.jpeg

The guy is missing a few but that HM and HMR pic is cool.  And yes I have a lot more.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Well, not much money...

...but there isn't a Hi-Metal R alternative for the VF-25, and they display well with HMRs.  :good:

Agreed.

5 hours ago, DWN013 said:

Does it come with the correct display stand piece to display in fighter mode? Or is it the same ol incorrect one to use with super parts in fighter mode?

Edited by ralliart209

17 hours ago, PteranodonMom said:

Not the best photo but the thinner piece of it is where it snapped. I really have no idea what to do given the VF-4 is going for $150-160 on the secondary market now... I could just keep it but after this happening I'd probably never want to touch it or really look at it.

1555890917925327292425.jpg

Sorry to hear this happened to you. So unfortunate :(

5 hours ago, PteranodonMom said:

Yup I've got the DX Max on pre-order and I'm watching several VF-1s on eBay as of now. I respect your decision to stay with the HMR line. At the end of the day, you should collect whichever line suits your tastes and makes you happy. For some, it's the 1/48 scale valks, others the 1/60s, the HMRs, or even all three.

That second pic is the kind of collection I'm trying to build. I'd love to fill several glass display case shelves with them!

Thanks @PteranodonMom, I have an array of Detolfs for these right now but still haven't installed any lighting in them yet.  But yes I had wished to own a collection like this for a long time, and finally decided to do it.  I'm sure you'll build your own perfect collection over time.  Show us yours when you get them! :D

6 hours ago, Tober said:

The VT-1 is a dedicated trainer, like a T-38.  The VF-1D is more akin to a two-seat combat-ready version, like an F-5F.  And either way, just because an aircraft is a dedicated trainer variant, it should still be completely weapons capable.  How else are pilots going to learn weapons employment? :p 

Either way, it's a stupid way for Bandai to cheapen out.  I love how they consistently fall back on "screen accuracy" as a way to excuse skimping on what other manufacturers would call a standard feature.

Looks like I'm going to have to make some spare wings. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, ralliart209 said:

Does it come with the correct display stand piece to display in fighter mode? Or is it the same ol incorrect one to use with super parts in fighter mode?

Thankfully, at least the 1D does come with the non-super fighter mode stand adaptor, yes.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The VT-1 is a dedicated trainer, like a T-38.  The VF-1D is more akin to a two-seat combat-ready version, like an F-5F.  And either way, just because an aircraft is a dedicated trainer variant, it should still be completely weapons capable.  How else are pilots going to learn weapons employment? :p 

Either way, it's a stupid way for Bandai to cheapen out.  I love how they consistently fall back on "screen accuracy" as a way to excuse skimping on what other manufacturers would call a standard feature.

Looks like I'm going to have to make some spare wings. <_< 

This.  Just because the south ataria maintainers didn't have time to give hikaru anything but a gunpod, doesn't mean the VF-1D couldn't carry missiles.

Edited by DWN013

If Bandai wanted to only include one set of wings, they should've given us the set with hardpoints. In any case, it's bad form to give us both sets of wings in previous releases and then cheap out and take them away. 

Both of mine arrived from Amazon. I'll check them out and see how else we could get Bandai'ed. 

So many complaint about the color, etc. I would mainly be worried about QC on this coming out of China.  As in the past they have had QC issues before with this line of valks.  I may have to open all of mine and check for QC issues before I store them away in my closet.  But thanks for the heads up.  Good thread.

Hoping for more valks to come and keeping an eye peeled for someone selling that CF, as I don't have one. I'm actually missing a few valks but gotta love that CF.

Isn't a new armored valk suppose to be coming out?  If so, I'll be in for one of those, at least.  That would be cool.

7 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

So many complaint about the color, etc. I would mainly be worried about QC on this coming out of China.  As in the past they have had QC issues before with this line of valks.  I may have to open all of mine and check for QC issues before I store them away in my closet.  But thanks for the heads up.  Good thread.

Hoping for more valks to come and keeping an eye peeled for someone selling that CF, as I don't have one. I'm actually missing a few valks but gotta love that CF.

Isn't a new armored valk suppose to be coming out?  If so, I'll be in for one of those, at least.  That would be cool.

At this point I open everything to check for manufacturing defects, and for HMRs I transform them as well. Bandai's QC seems to be slipping.

Seems like if they were coming out of Japan we would have less issues but I feel we are fortunate that it is a Japan owned company with Japan like quality control.  I've been happy over all with both 1/55 reissue products as well as this line of toys.

Also Saburo, good to see you got yours in.  Really nice.

Checked both of my copies. No major defects reported. But still the most disappointing HMR release in awhile. Only thing I really like about it is being able to have basketball player Minmay in hand.

But it's outweighed by the lack of hardpoints and ordnance. incorrect back cover, and no sitting Minmay. The incorrectly colored back cover alone means that one is staying in gerwalk with Minmay in hand, one is staying in battroid, and I'll keep using my Yamato for fighter whooshing. :p

The orange doesn't match either, just like the VT-1. But it's less obvious since you don't have painted and colored plastic sections right up against each other.

Addendum: Should also have mentioned that I like that Bandai gave us a nice longer canopy over the extra large two seater cockpit. Which makes it a damn shame that having it in fighter mode means looking at that eyesore of a back cover.

Edited by Lolicon

1 hour ago, rocketblast said:

Regardless of where the items are manufactured, it is largely the responsibility of Bandai to make sure QC meets their requirements.  Bandai may just need to either sample more items off the line or send more staff for QC.  Now days, all the best consumer products are made in China:  Hydro Flask, Apple products, Samsung products, etc.  It's doubtful that Bandai would be able to move production back to Japan.  They are experiencing a major labor shortage now days.  Your collectables would still likely be produced with non-Japanese labor.  QC might improve, it may not.

Japanese pride and ethics may not be what it use to be.  Look into Mazda, Nissan, Suzuki and Yamaha's emissions control scandal.

Edited by DewPoint
after thought...

52 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Checked both of my copies. No major defects reported. But still the most disappointing HMR release in awhile. Only thing I really like about it is being able to have basketball player Minmay in hand.

But it's outweighed by the lack of hardpoints and ordnance. incorrect back cover, and no sitting Minmay. The incorrectly colored back cover alone means that one is staying in gerwalk with Minmay in hand, one is staying in battroid, and I'll keep using my Yamato for fighter whooshing. :p

The orange doesn't match either, just like the VT-1. But it's less obvious since you don't have painted and colored plastic sections right up against each other.

Addendum: Should also have mentioned that I like that Bandai gave us a nice longer canopy over the extra large two seater cockpit. Which makes it a damn shame that having it in fighter mode means looking at that eyesore of a back cover.

Thanks @Lolicon - I kept nodding as I read your post especially the last bit, lol.  Their two-seater canopy looks so good in fighter mode as well - I don't think I have seen a transformable 1D figure that got the proportions right.  So now the question for me is, do I swap it out with the Super O's back cover (which has the correct colour, but only one antenna/fin) or just leave it as is.  There is no painting option for me sadly. 

@Saburo, thanks for the stunning pic as usual (and as expected, aren't we spoilt here lol).

My amazon order has shipped via DHL and it's scheduled to get to me by tomorrow.  Did you order yours via amazon or another company with DHL shipping?  Coz that was fast!

On 4/22/2019 at 7:56 AM, PteranodonMom said:

Not the best photo but the thinner piece of it is where it snapped. I really have no idea what to do given the VF-4 is going for $150-160 on the secondary market now... I could just keep it but after this happening I'd probably never want to touch it or really look at it.

1555890917925327292425.jpg

Looks like I won't be transforming my VF-4 then. I like it most in the fighter mode anyway.

And I got my VF-1D shipping notice from Amazon. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow as scheduled.

As far as I know, this is the only instance of this happening with the VF-4 Lightning.

Most of what I’ve seen and heard are paint and glue blemishes, with the occasional missing or same side parts snafu.. 

The VF-4 in particular can be fun to transform . Be sure to check out the transformation vid on any moon.com if you want a good run down. 

Edited by Bolt

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Thanks @Lolicon - I kept nodding as I read your post especially the last bit, lol.  Their two-seater canopy looks so good in fighter mode as well - I don't think I have seen a transformable 1D figure that got the proportions right.  So now the question for me is, do I swap it out with the Super O's back cover (which has the correct colour, but only one antenna/fin) or just leave it as is.  There is no painting option for me sadly. 

Oh, and I also don't like the way it looks with the back seat being empty. Thanks for not giving us a sitting Minmay, Bandai!

TWE Hi-Metal R VF-1D Option Set

Release date: Novermber 2019

Price: 8990 yen

Contents

- sitting Minmay figure x 1

- optional wing set with hardpoints x 1

- TV missiles x 4

- damaged left arm x 1

- damaged chest plate x 1

- partially drunk Orange Julius x 1

37 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

TWE Hi-Metal R VF-1D Option Set