Hi-Metal R

joppewo

3 hours ago, Pontus said:

Would someone be kind enough to post a pic of an HMR VF-1 in battroid, Glaug, and Regult together, preferably with the zentradi cockpits open?  Every time I look at those, the mech seems to be a proper scale, but there's no way a zentradi soldier could fit inside at that scale.  I know there's some animated artistic license at play here, but still.

True. Zentraedi mechas too small for its pilot. Unless they're squeezed in inside. ^_^

The other scale problem that I always have is, how really big Sazabi should be compared to Nu-Gundam? :rolleyes:

nugunsam_sazabi_01.jpg.2ec34b8e115b1a6568b0a4970787a49b.jpg

nugunsam_sazabi_02.jpg.1adf6f0aad6e81f01fdb92932e1c76b2.jpg

nugunsam_sazabi_03.jpg.6efddf5dc81e66f34aa1673f93669f8e.jpg

51 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Unless they're squeezed inside

In the Glaug's case that would have to be after all Kamjin's limbs have been lopped off, and two other Glaug's have  been jumping savagely up and down on the cockpit hatch to force it closed. Probably not even then.

Edited by Podtastic

7 hours ago, Pontus said:

Would someone be kind enough to post a pic of an HMR VF-1 in battroid, Glaug, and Regult together, preferably with the zentradi cockpits open?  Every time I look at those, the mech seems to be a proper scale, but there's no way a zentradi soldier could fit inside at that scale.  I know there's some animated artistic license at play here, but still.

That observation is as old as the regult design... It's never really worked.

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

True. Zentraedi mechas too small for its pilot. Unless they're squeezed in inside. ^_^

The other scale problem that I always have is, how really big Sazabi should be compared to Nu-Gundam? :rolleyes:

nugunsam_sazabi_03.jpg.6efddf5dc81e66f34aa1673f93669f8e.jpg

I wouldn't use the Robot Spirits or any non-scale toys for judging scales. Best to use their model kits.

Both Nu Gundam and Sazabi are monstrous mobile suits. IIRC the Sazabi stands about 23m and Nu Gundam about 21m. Noticeably larger than even the later era valkyries, much less the relatively puny VF-1. 

5 hours ago, Pontus said:

Thanks very much @sh9000:hail:  I think I will be reviewing some episodes of Macross this evening.  I feel like the overall scale is correct but the main bodies of the regult and especially the glaug look WAY too small by my eye.  I should have a 1/72 regult kit in my mailbox today that I hope is a more accurate scale to the 1/100 line (or at the very least, a bigger/better model than my Revoltech).

No problem.  They all still look good together.

5 hours ago, kkx said:

Nice comparison.

There is serious anime magic going on as expected.

Thanks.  Yep.  As long as I have the Zentradi sitting and standing pilots of different sizes then I’m good.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:22 PM, sh9000 said:

Thanks.  No problem.  I’m happy to help the nice people on MW.  I ordered 6 but they’ll be coming in sometime in May though.

You ordered 6???!!!

No wait, why am I surprised? I know you like multiples. I do too!

Sure thing, just let me know, and, again, Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, jenius said:

That observation is as old as the regult design... It's never really worked.

Indeed. 

Still the HMR  Glaug and Regult are quite nice. 

@jenius you’ve done reviews of those?

23 minutes ago, Penguin sushi said:

instead now just ordered a gluag bc 130 shipped isn't bad.

I don’t think you’ll regret it. 

The Regult is way too small to fit an average-sized Zentradi pilot, even if you squish the pilot inside.

These are photos of John Moscato's Regult and Zentradi pilot models; the Zentradi pilot is 1/72 scale and the Regult is 1/57 scale. Even though the Regult is much larger than it should be, the pilot barely fits inside.

As for the HMR line, as Lolicon said, it's a non-scale toy line, so don't try to do serious scale comparisons with it.

Model builder and photo credit: Cool8tor

Regult01.jpg

Regult02.jpg

:good:Just found it on @anymoon.com

The review covers some of the very questions recently brought up. Of course!

Thanks amigo!

BTW   I forgot just how butt ugly those matchbox Regults & Glaug were. Sheeesh! I never wanted those, even in the 80’s! :crazy:

Edited by Bolt

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I wouldn't use the Robot Spirits or any non-scale toys for judging scales. Best to use their model kits.

Both Nu Gundam and Sazabi are monstrous mobile suits. IIRC the Sazabi stands about 23m and Nu Gundam about 21m. Noticeably larger than even the later era valkyries, much less the relatively puny VF-1. 

Hey Lolicon. I just use the RD figure as a reference compared to the screenshots that I took earlier. I checked both Master Grade versions of both kits earlier including the ver.Ka’s. But using that screenshot I provided above as a basis, Sazabi’s head should be atleast double the size of Nu’s head. Esp if we’re going to compare Nu’s hand on Sazabi’s cockpit. Making Sazabi atleast 1 3/4 bigger than Nu.

Anyways, sorry for this OT post. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Yeah but the cockpit ball in the first image is much smaller than it really is on the model kit. In the model kit, that ball cockpit takes up most of the space in the head. So it's around 2x the size of what is shown in that image.

17 hours ago, Slave IV said:

That seems like a completely reasonable deal at this moment. Congrats!

17 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Congrats!!!! Like Slave said above, the Galug alone is worth $200 in my collection. You got two of the best HMR soon you'll enjoy them.

I should really get another Glaug, shame on me, I have no back up.

Thanks guys!  I was hesitant because the Yahoo Auction sat at the opening price of 20k yen for the full 3 days it was available, so either I was overpaying, or if there's something wrong with the set that I didn't spot in the pics.  Anyway, I decided to take a risk and went ahead anyway.  And this is not that long after I bought a (sealed, box damaged) Monster from Manda for another 18k before shipping... but at least I now have most of the HMRs that I wanted to get anyway.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Lolicon. I just use the RD figure as a reference compared to the screenshots that I took earlier. I checked both Master Grade versions of both kits earlier including the ver.Ka’s. But using that screenshot I provided above as a basis, Sazabi’s head should be atleast double the size of Nu’s head. Esp if we’re going to compare Nu’s hand on Sazabi’s cockpit. Making Sazabi atleast 1 3/4 bigger than Nu.

Anyways, sorry for this OT post. :rolleyes:

What are you trying to say? That they don't always get the scale perfectly correct in hand drawn animation?

644587763_regultsizescreencap.JPG.62168b99274e7c0dfd043fd7ce57f29e.JPG

10 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

You ordered 6???!!!

No wait, why am I surprised? I know you like multiples. I do too!

Sure thing, just let me know, and, again, Thanks so much!

Yeah I was planning on making some variants but if Bandai releases them first then it will save me time.

10 hours ago, seti88 said:

A week or so left before the 1D releases! So excited! 

Pls get the orange correct bandai!!

btw any pics of the 1D in bandai's exhibit as yet?

I can’t wait!

10 hours ago, easnoddy said:

These are not scaled correctly iMO.

5DB6396B-6175-48A6-B38E-063E8C935F8C.gif.7215aed47b8a53153b0a187c640b680f.gif

HM and HMR=close enough with everything and still looking good together.  The HM VF-1 and VF-19 labeled as 1/100 also look good with 1/100 lines.

9 hours ago, Penguin sushi said:

I wanted a regult, mainly bc of the vf-1d fight. Brings back memories.

I instead now just ordered a gluag bc 130 shipped isn't bad.

Well now to get a 1d, if anyone is getting any extra i would like to get one from you.

I’m not sure if I’ll have an extra but I will see.  I’m getting one for Fighter, one for Gerwalk, one for Battroid, one for battle damaged, and one for MISB.

Edited by sh9000

Yeah, those scaled drawings looks pretty much spot on with the HM-R line. In the show, i recall Breetai being one of the biggest Zentraedi. Plus in the second episode the 1D looks way bigger when it goes through the Regult's legs. The soldier looks massive as it comes through the tiny hatch, but then it looks massive as it is close to the 1D in gerwalk mode. 

Edited by vlenhoff

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

What are you trying to say? That they don't always get the scale perfectly correct in hand drawn animation?

Yeah, sorry for the diversion.  The scale is totally wack.  Zentradi soldiers sit comfortably inside regults, are generally only a little shorter than valks, and yet valks are somehow very similar in size to regults in most scenes making the cockpits way too small.  Ground scenes also show the glaug being much bigger than the regults.

1579113080_glaugregultcompare.JPG.9c409ded7054afdd1ab7f16960156112.JPG

Basically, I was just trying to convince myself I didn't need to spend the money on HMR enemy mechs because the scale was all wrong.  I guess it just depends on whether you want to go with the scale of the soldiers or the scale of the mech because they seem to be completely different.  Personally, I think I'll stick with 1/72 models for enemy mechs which are cheap... for the regults, not the glaug unfortunately.  Not sure what I'll do for a glaug.  Someday...

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Yeah, those scaled drawings looks pretty much spot on with the HM-R line. In the show, i recall Breetai being one of the biggest Zentraedi. Plus in the second episode the 1D looks way bigger when it goes through the Regult's legs. The soldier looks massive as it comes through the tiny hatch, but then it looks massive as it is close to the 1D in gerwalk mode. 

IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.3a4ddecb07248f9cd7186c2e61775390.JPG

Here's another one.

41 minutes ago, seti88 said:

1D!:wub: gerwalk boxart ftw!

56276136_648497082238294_552779219637638285_n.jpg.da12466768d17e9663a25e270b439306.jpg

Sweet.  I see Minmay in the VF-1D's hand of the artwork.  Can't wait to recreate this scene.

IMG_8760.jpg.9ba0fdf8faab02789265f6654e20d6a6.jpg

Still waiting for the DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger to recreate this scene with the VT-1.

IMG_0718.JPG.c554da66bcf202d4f5d578f0a9c28706.JPG

5 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Yeah but the cockpit ball in the first image is much smaller than it really is on the model kit. In the model kit, that ball cockpit takes up most of the space in the head. So it's around 2x the size of what is shown in that image.

Yeah. The cockpit on the Nu's hand seems the right size for it, that is if you'e going to compare it to Nu's stomach where the cockpit goes. So knowing that Char's sits comfortably in there, then it's not hard to imagine that Sazabi should be atleat 1 3/4 or twice the size of Nu-Gundam. Now, I need to find a pic of an HCM-Pro Nu-Gundam besides a 1/144 HG Sazabi or MG Sazabi just to confirm it. ;) 

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I have to agree. This is the 'right' size for it. Giant people needs giant mechs. Period. ^_^

7 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

On the VF-4, will shaving some off the peg that tabs into the nosecone help reduce/eliminate the gap between the nose and cockpit in fighter mode?

I reduced it on my copy by shaving the nubs on the nosepiece. There's a couple pretty bad ones on both my copies.