Hi-Metal R

joppewo

1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

I've always thought that the "Orguss" VF-1 should be a GBP style armor for a brownie VF-1A.  I think it should largely work.

That would be cool. But seems like "Orguss" is stuck in the high-priced MegaHouse label for now.  I swear... those damn palm figures (and the recent 8" toys) are the most over-priced things ever. Like, is there cocaine stashed in those things or something? 

5 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

4 months? I think it’s been more like 4 years.

They initially showed the prototype with the others in that nice big reveal, but IIRC there was another showing of the prototype and it finally showing up in magazines in the fall last year, like September-October? Seemed like it was going to go up for pre-order October or November but nothing ever came.

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Laughable....the non-Macross HMR releases would have just simply been Macross releases

Then how come we still have so many months with no HMR releases at all if they have plenty of Macross releases lined up but supposedly no room due to other shows getting HMR releases too? There's plenty of low-effort repaints they could have done if they just wanted to milk the VF-1 mold more. 

Not counting the blu-ray release of Technopolis, which included a reissue of HMR Techno Blader, I think the non-Macross HMR releases now account for seven HMR slots after the recent Dougram news. Macross has had 21 HMR slots, a ratio of 3-to-1, with Roy’s 1S having a reissue. Given those numbers, I’m okay with sharing. There may be a reason why Bandai isn’t opening the Macross floodgates and milking different paint schemes every chance they can get. But they could—most definitely. 

We could see the mass production 1J, any number of 1A schemes, Max’s 1S, the remaining destroids, other Valkyrie moulds, other enemy mecha...who knows? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don’t mind them mixing things up and keeping it interesting. ^_^

Edited by technoblue
one is the loneliest number

7 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

Then how come we still have so many months with no HMR releases at all if they have plenty of Macross releases lined up but supposedly no room due to other shows getting HMR releases too? There's plenty of low-effort repaints they could have done if they just wanted to milk the VF-1 mold more. 

Huh?  No ever said there would be non-stop HMR Macross releases every month....never was that way even when the line was just pumping out Macross series toys....all I said was that in the absence of all the non-Macross toys....Macross toys would have taken those release dates....as @technoblue stated....we could have had 7 additional Macross HMR toys by now.....so we definitely would have had the 3 already teased...tomahawk, phalanx, and N-Ger....and who knows what other 4....most likely the remainder of vermillion, skull, or the q-rau....

We could have but possibly still wouldn’t have. Doesn’t seem like something worth worrying over.

Personally, I’m glad we got those other releases. Some of the best toys for the HMR or any toy line to come out. And it’s safe to say that if Bandai didn’t do those, we wouldn’t have toys of those mecha for a very long time to come. 

On 4/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, RDX17 said:

Remaining Destroids (Tomahawk and Phalanx) are the priority. A few other DYRL items being worked on for this year, but no specifics yet.

Almost 2 years ago......no complaints from me though....we got a VF-4 and VF-1D coming....plus we got the VF-2SS, SuperO and Elint....I can wait some more I suppose, they'll all get released eventually...would have been quicker without the non-Macross HMRs though!

On 4/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, jvmacross said:

He didn't say NO to the 1/1800 SDF-1 or 1/35 VF-1......guessing they may shrink a bit before they see production....

One shrunk to 1/48...;)  I wouldn't mind a 1/3000 TV SDF-1 though....but I'll take a 1/3000 DYRL TV from Bandai because I know it will put the Arcadia version to shame...both in detail, gimmicks, and price

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

One shrunk to 1/48...;)  I wouldn't mind a 1/3000 TV SDF-1 though....but I'll take a 1/3000 DYRL TV from Bandai because I know it will put the Arcadia version to shame...both in detail, gimmicks, and price  

Well, there's the 1/6000 DYRL SDF-1 that was teased, non-transforming but based on the line ought to have plenty of gimmicks.

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Almost 2 years ago......no complaints from me though....we got a VF-4 and VF-1D coming....plus we got the VF-2SS, SuperO and Elint....I can wait some more I suppose, they'll all get released eventually...would have been quicker without the non-Macross HMRs though!

Same here sir. No complaints either. Though I really wish I could have most from my wishlist before I turn 50. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

And if they didn't release any Gundam Robot Damashiis, Metal Builds, or Star Wars and Marvel SH Figuarts etc etc... :p

HMR is just one of numerous lines under the whole Tamashii Nations brand - which includes SoC, DX Chogokins, Robot Damashii, SH Figuarts, GFFMC, etc.  HMR is not a separate division inside Bandai. Thus, just because a non-Macross HMR is released doesn't mean it actually took away spots that would've gone to a Macross HMR. For all we know, those spots could've been taken by any number of other toys under the Tamashii Nations umbrella. But I think Bandai is simply spacing out the Macross releases so that a glut doesn't happen.

Edited by Vifam7

On 2/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, TheLoneWolf said:

I think that Bandai setup the HMR line as a testbed of sorts for neglected Macross toys. Notwithstanding the VF-1 (which was grandfathered in from the old HM line), that would explain why we've never seen blue-chip Macross toys in the HMR, such the VF-25's, VF-31's, and YF/VF-19's. For example, if a HMR toy sells exceptionally well, then that would put it on the short list for the DX treatment (eg: the DX 1/48 VF-1). And if a line consistently underperforms (eg: the Destroids), then Bandai would know not to throw more good money after the bad. Going back to your question, Bandai already knows that the YF/VF-19's sell well, so they're not a priority for the HMR. As for the YF-21, Bandai couldn't release that without committing itself to the YF-19.

I realize that's an unusual business model, but it's the only one that I can think of that would explain why Bandai has released certain mecha in the HMR and not others.

Have we seen anything that isn't from SFDM, DYRL?, or Macross II? And the non-Macross HMRs are from a shows that are also late 70s to early 90s, right? Maybe the people who choose the lineup just don't like shows filmed after 1992.

11 minutes ago, Vagabond Elf said:

Have we seen anything that isn't from SFDM, DYRL?, or Macross II? And the non-Macross HMRs are from a shows that are also late 70s to early 90s, right? Maybe the people who choose the lineup just don't like shows filmed after 1992.

We're getting there with the VF-4, and technically they did release that Messer VF-1S, but that's in kind of a gray area.

3 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

And if they didn't release any Gundam Robot Damashiis, Metal Builds, or Star Wars and Marvel SH Figuarts etc etc... :p

HMR is just one of numerous lines under the whole Tamashii Nations brand - which includes SoC, DX Chogokins, Robot Damashii, SH Figuarts, GFFMC, etc.  HMR is not a separate division inside Bandai. Thus, just because a non-Macross HMR is released doesn't mean it actually took away spots that would've gone to a Macross HMR. For all we know, those spots could've been taken by any number of other toys under the Tamashii Nations umbrella. But I think Bandai is simply spacing out the Macross releases so that a glut doesn't happen.

It seems HMR and the DX line are the only ones getting Macross PT toys released within these lines.

So any release of a non-Macross toy within these lines is simply one less Macross release within that scheduled slot.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand for some? :unknw:

5 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It seems HMR and the DX line are the only ones getting Macross PT toys released within these lines.

So any release of a non-Macross toy within these lines is simply one less Macross release within that scheduled slot.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand for some? :unknw:

This would imply you know the inner workings of Bandai's development teams, and their internal release schedule plan.  Just because you see a "slot" in the schedule doesn't mean Bandai sees it the same way.

It's entirely possible that they just don't have Macross releases ready to fill those slots, and the non-Macross releases are literally to fill a production gap, and keep the factory running so they can avoid start-up costs for the next release.

You can't make the assumption that producing something non-Macross is taking away time from Macross releases.  Remember, this is Bandai.  They're huge.  They have multiple teams working on multiple products all the time.  Unless you have insider information about one product taking development time away from another, it's just as likely that the non-Macross releases are being thrown in because they need something to keep the factories running between Macross releases.

Edited by Chronocidal

13 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

This would imply you know the inner workings of Bandai's development teams, and their internal release schedule plan.  Just because you see a "slot" in the schedule doesn't mean Bandai sees it the same way.

It's entirely possible that they just don't have Macross releases ready to fill those slots, and the non-Macross releases are literally to fill a production gap, and keep the factory running so they can avoid start-up costs for the next release.

You can't make the assumption that producing something non-Macross is taking away time from Macross releases.  Remember, this is Bandai.  They're huge.  They have multiple teams working on multiple products all the time.  Unless you have insider information about one product taking development time away from another, it's just as likely that the non-Macross releases are being thrown in because they need something to keep the factories running between Macross releases.

LOL....

Just use common sense....no need to be an "insider".....manufacture one thing.....and you can't manufacture another for the same time slot....Bandai is big but they can't release everything simultaneously within these lines allocated to the release of Macross toys...you either get a Dougram one month and not a Macross....or vice versa....

Relax....this is all hypothetical as you can't go back in time and change it...LOL

...You seem to be under the misapprehension that if they didn't make one HMR toy, they'd make another instead.

More likely they'd just make a Robot Damashii or other line using those production resources entirely. It's not like Bandai's manufacturing has a subset designated only to make HMR stuff.

It's all injection molding, painting/tampo, metal castings, and assembly regardless of if it's RD, HMR, DX Chogokin, Metal Build, or several other Bandai toy lines.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

10 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL....

Just use common sense....no need to be an "insider".....manufacture one thing.....and you can't manufacture another for the same time slot....Bandai is big but they can't release everything simultaneously within these lines allocated to the release of Macross toys...you either get a Dougram one month and not a Macross....or vice versa....

Relax....this is all hypothetical as you can't go back in time and change it...LOL

I know it's hypothetical, but like I was saying, you can't assume to know how Bandai has their stuff timelined, or whether one product is conflicting with another.

It's similar to the old saying, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."  You cannot assume that just because something else is released they had to take a slot from a Macross product.  There may have been nothing in that release slot to begin with.  Without inner knowledge of Bandai's production schedule, you really can't make anything but WAGs about that.

But if you had a side product that you could run through that manufacturing facility to keep it producing something, why wouldn't you?  That's just good use of facility resources.

9 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

...You seem to be under the misapprehension that if they didn't make one HMR toy, they'd make another instead.

More likely they'd just make a Robot Damashii or other line using those production resources entirely. It's not like Bandai's manufacturing has a subset designated only to make HMR stuff.

It's all injection molding, painting/tampo, metal castings, and assembly regardless of if it's RD, HMR, DX Chogokin, Metal Build, or several other Bandai toy lines.

No....I am only referring to allocated time slots within the HMR line or DX....but it is mostly HMR for the sake of this discussion....again....all hypothetical since you cannot go back in time to see what would actually happen....but I believe it makes sense that if they had removed say one of the Dougrams....that a Macross would have taken the place of that HMR time slot....that is all....no more no less

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I know it's hypothetical, but like I was saying, you can't assume to know how Bandai has their stuff timelined, or whether one product is conflicting with another.

It's similar to the old saying, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."  You cannot assume that just because something else is released they had to take a slot from a Macross product.  There may have been nothing in that release slot to begin with.  Without inner knowledge of Bandai's production schedule, you really can't make anything but WAGs about that.

But if you had a side product that you could run through that manufacturing facility to keep it producing something, why wouldn't you?  That's just good use of facility resources.

WAG.....This must bother you for some reason? Why?

6 hours ago, Vagabond Elf said:

Hmm. Current non-Macross HMRs are strictly from the early 80's shows.

15 hours ago, technoblue said:

Not counting the blu-ray release of Technopolis, which included a reissue of HMR Techno Blader, I think the non-Macross HMR releases now account for seven HMR slots after the recent Dougram news. Macross has had 21 HMR slots, a ratio of 3-to-1, with Roy’s 1S having a reissue. Given those numbers, I’m okay with sharing. There may be a reason why Bandai isn’t opening the Macross floodgates and milking different paint schemes every chance they can get. But they could—most definitely. 

We could see the mass production 1J, any number of 1A schemes, Max’s 1S, the remaining destroids, other Valkyrie moulds, other enemy mecha...who knows? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don’t mind them mixing things up and keeping it interesting. ^_^

fwiw, here's the HMR release-schedules table as gleaned from https://tamashii.jp/item_brand/hi-metal_r/

image.png.b437e253c387aed815889c8a0cc07a95.png

Edited by treatment
updated quotes and table

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

No....I am only referring to allocated time slots within the HMR line or DX....but it is mostly HMR for the sake of this discussion....again....all hypothetical since you cannot go back in time to see what would actually happen....but I believe it makes sense that if they had removed say one of the Dougrams....that a Macross would have taken the place of that HMR time slot....that is all....no more no less

All I'm saying is that you have no idea whether these "allocated time slots" even exist.  They're purely a construct of your perception, and have absolutely nothing to do with any plan, past, present, or future, that Bandai has in place for production.

Just because you don't make one thing doesn't mean you have to make something else.  It's entirely possible that removing the Dougrams would have just resulted in nothing being released.

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

WAG.....This must bother you for some reason? Why?

You're welcome to shoot the breeze with baseless assumptions all you like, my brain just mentally objects to all these leaps of logic that Evel Knievel couldn't hope to land. :lol: 

Really nothing to worry about though, I just think it's amusing.  As a fanbase, we love to armchair quarterback Bandai, Yamato, Arcadia, and anyone else who is producing stuff we want to buy.  Trying to read the tea leaves that these companies use to pick and choose their release schedule is deep magic. ^_^ 

Edited by Chronocidal

52 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

All I'm saying is that you have no idea whether these "allocated time slots" even exist. 

It's entirely possible that removing the Dougrams would have just resulted in nothing being 

But they did...and some were taken up by non-Macross....is it that bothersome to you to accept that they could have been taken up by Macross releases? Again, not sure why this possibility gets you so butt-hurt?

Again, not sure why you even suggest that nothing would have been released....isn't that also the same kind of speculation which seems to get your panties up in a bind?

If you don't agree or like what I am saying or suggesting....then just ignore and move on....there is nothing on Macross world that does not allow for speculation or come up with possible ideas or suggestions....or general what-if scenarios.....

Again, if this type of discussion is not to your liking....simply move on

Edited by jvmacross

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

All I'm saying is that you have no idea whether these "allocated time slots" even exist.  They're purely a construct of your perception, and have absolutely nothing to do with any plan, past, present, or future, that Bandai has in place for production.

Just because you don't make one thing doesn't mean you have to make something else.  It's entirely possible that removing the Dougrams would have just resulted in nothing being released.

I've had virtually this same argument with JVMacross.  Let me just tell you... you're wasting your time. 

He thinks the HMR line should be Macross only, and any non-Macross release is a Macross release that we didn't get (or was delayed).  I have absolutely no clue why he believes this, as it has no basis whatsoever in fact, and has no evidence to support it.

But he believes it, through and through, and will defend it with many periods! 

EDITED HERE: DA

But all that is to say, yes, I agree with you (and the poster above).  I don't think Bandai runs its operation like this; don't fall for the branding.  It is all, at the most, Tamashii Nations releases, and they make what ever they think will sell best, and put it in the line that best fits the product.  There is no schedule that says DX Chogokin gets X number of releases per year, HMR gets Y number of releases, SH Figuarts gets Z.  I think if you look back through the product release history, you might see some patterns, but that is largely due to it being a toy manufacturer that of course follows some kind of production schedule; but that schedule isn't based on individual product lines, per se. 

EDIT:

Decided to actually count the HMR releases (by year) based on this page:

2015: 2 (but it started late in the year, so we'll give it a pass)

2016: 7 (8 if you count the Fokker VF-1S release as 2)

2017: 11 (10 if you don't want to count the missile effects set)

2018: 7 (8 if you count the Technoid Blader regular and special release as different, I probably wouldn't)

2019: Currently 0, 4 announced

Do you see a pattern or schedule here?  Because I don't.  2016 and 2018 both have 7 or 8, depending on interpretation.  Beyond that, unless you want to do some funny math, I don't know how you can get the sense that HMR follows a set release schedule.

I'm not worried, we're all free to speculate how we like. ^_^  Nothing to get butthurt about, I'm just fascinated by all the theories we tend to generate.  Gives us something to yammer about during the empty months in the release schedule, after all.

I do have to wonder what Bandai is going to pull out of its hat next though, because we're long long overdue for a TV Skull 1, and as much as I'm tired of VF-1s, that's the one I'd actually still like to get a couple of, especially if they include some TV-style fast packs.  And please please please release the fast packs again?  I need about ten sets. :p 

After that.. I'm going to guess Bandai intends to do something with Macross Zero?  I think that was the final recognizable poster in that big teaser display.  I would love to see a redone HMR VF-19, but I'm thinking that's more likely to be a 1/60 DX release somewhere down the road.  No reason they couldn't do both, but as long as they have the YF-19 going, it's a logical progression.

Edited by Chronocidal
- Apologies, I realized how ridiculously condescending that sounded at first, and that wasn't my intent.

Nice good discussion going on here.  Great.  Just don't veer into:

Personal Attacks/Flaming.
Having an argument with another member is allowed. Substantively criticizing or analyzing the opinions, views, or statements of another member is acceptable. However, criticizing another member as a person for whatever views they may hold is not acceptable. Please discuss arguments, not each other.

2 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Baseless accusations allowed? ;)

Personal Attacks/Flaming.
Having an argument with another member is allowed. Substantively criticizing or analyzing the opinions, views, or statements of another member is acceptable. However, criticizing another member as a person for whatever views they may hold is not acceptable. Please discuss arguments, not each other.

22 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

EDITED: DA

The periods are... your thing I guess.  You do you.

What does bother me is this argument that you keep espousing that HMR should be Macross-only, and it is a worse/less-popular/less-successful line because of the non-Macross inclusions.  It smacks of the juvenile Macross elitism that pervades these forums sometimes, and makes community seem petty and childish, in my opinion.  Obviously this forum is going to be biased to Macross; that's why it exists.  But we don't have to fall into the trap of crapping on other things because they aren't Macross.  Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and obviously you don't like that HMR has non-Macross releases.  But to take that opinion and try to make factual claims about the line is going to get you called out (and rightfully so, imo).

But to bring it back on topic, I am interested to see how many HMR releases we get this year, Macross or otherwise.  I'm also interested in seeing how far forward (in real-time) they are willing to go with it, as it seems fairly rooted in the "nostalgia" era of the 80s and early 90s.  I think anything from Macross Zero would be an interesting break away from that.

Edited by Dangard Ace
Taking out the downvote stuff

24 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I do have to wonder what Bandai is going to pull out of its hat next though, because we're long long overdue for a TV Skull 1, and as much as I'm tired of VF-1s, that's the one I'd actually still like to get a couple of, especially if they include some TV-style fast packs.  And please please please release the fast packs again?  I need about ten sets. :p 

Finishing the HMR 1S Valkyries should be easy. All we need is two:

• Roy's TV 1S (which should include both Roy and Hikaru TV pilots, and the TV fast packs)
  • Max's 1S (which should round out the DYRL leaders)

Please, Bandai/Arcadia/Somebody, don't forget Max. :help:

Edited by technoblue