Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Looks at hi-metal VF-19's..... 

How about a VF-11 this year??   Super and Protection versions for re-using the mold (max/Milla. Might even be able reuse some of the mold for a Mylene MAX version....  Then release a 11b ver and they can pump out a YF-19...   Then BAM! YF/VF-22's for everyone! 

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, jenius said:

Not even a whiff.

It's inevitable. Would also like to see some of the Macross Zero stuff as well.

Off the top of anyone's head: What was the longest period that no HMR's were announced – then boom!! – all of the sudden, they surprised us with some new releases from the left field? 

On 1/16/2019 at 1:30 AM, atreyu2112 said:

Yes. We really do need to get the last 2 Destroids this year. Would also love to get the N-Ger and Q-Rau as well. Bandai really needs to get on the ball and get that original list completed & released already.

Indeed.  It's been waaaay too long since the last Zentradi mecha release.

3 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Indeed.  It's been waaaay too long since the last Zentradi mecha release.

Off-topic: The whole topic of why hero mechs and characters constantly get produced versus enemy mechs in Japan is interesting.  I know that it's due to sales, but otherwise I'm at a loss.

In the west, one's collection feels incomplete without someone to pew-pew against.  I can't imagine only ever having had a He-Man but not a Skeletor figure, a GIJoe but not Cobra figure, or an Optimus Prime without a Megatron.

Seems like with HM-R's Glaug and Regault's Bandai is recognizing this "need", but I'm still flumuxed as to why it's taking this long to get more enemy mechs.

< / rant >

33 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Off-topic: The whole topic of why hero mechs and characters constantly get produced versus enemy mechs in Japan is interesting.  I know that it's due to sales, but otherwise I'm at a loss.

In the west, one's collection feels incomplete without someone to pew-pew against.  I can't imagine only ever having had a He-Man but not a Skeletor figure, a GIJoe but not Cobra figure, or an Optimus Prime without a Megatron.

Seems like with HM-R's Glaug and Regault's Bandai is recognizing this "need", but I'm still flumuxed as to why it's taking this long to get more enemy mechs.

< / rant >

So how many have they not given us at least one version from either TV or DYRL.....there is not that many to begin with...

Q-Rau

N-Ger

We technically have had 3 different Regults and 1 Glaug.....but like I said..there are basically just 4 to choose from....Regult, Glaug, Q-Rau and N-Ger....so we are 50% complete....just like the Destroids....

And I think the DYRL N-Ger has a good shot of being released soon.....patience padawans! :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

33 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

< / rant >

If I had to guess, it is largely due to not many buyers in Japan not being "Macross collectors," as much as just toy or mecha collectors.  I'm sure there is a Japanese version of Macross world, but I'm also assuming there are tons of buyers that only buy hero mecha from a variety of lines.  They aren't really concerned with getting a complete Macross universe.  Being on these forums warps our perspective, so we assume most buyers have the same wants and goals that we do.  But the sales (and releases) suggest otherwise.

But I agree.  Bandai, please throw us bone. Give us at least ONE destroid or enemy mecha this year.  Lower the production run and raise the price a bit, if necessary.  We have plenty of valks.

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

You can't really compare action figures like GI Joes and Transformers to HMR releases.  Kids aren't buying these to have battles on their bedroom floors with.  If they cost $5-$10 a pop?  Sure, kids would eat them up.  But that's not what these are.

On another note though.. keep in mind that the vast majority of popular Macross mechs transform.  Selling the non-transforming mechs and vehicles from the franchise is like trying to market all of the standard civilian vehicles seen in Transformers cartoons.  "Oh look, it's that jeep that the one army guy followed Optimus Prime in... yay?"  They just aren't nearly as interesting as toys.

2 hours ago, Lonely Soldier Boy said:

I also wouldn't mind a little squad of these guys. Quite a long shot, I know.337492710_Capturadepantalla2019-02-04alas11_58_46a.m..png.59065589d4e72e4e11c64a4dcdecaf93.png

The only "alien" mech toy ever made outside of SDFM or DYRL is the SV-262.....this would be an awesome release if Bandai continues on their Macross Plus run...DX or HMR would be ok with me...

gallery_12176_600_21657.jpg

14 hours ago, protostar8 said:

So any word on Macross Plus getting some Hi-Metal love?  I can't believe they haven't made a YF-19 or YF-21 yet???

I think that Bandai setup the HMR line as a testbed of sorts for neglected Macross toys. Notwithstanding the VF-1 (which was grandfathered in from the old HM line), that would explain why we've never seen blue-chip Macross toys in the HMR, such the VF-25's, VF-31's, and YF/VF-19's. For example, if a HMR toy sells exceptionally well, then that would put it on the short list for the DX treatment (eg: the DX 1/48 VF-1). And if a line consistently underperforms (eg: the Destroids), then Bandai would know not to throw more good money after the bad. Going back to your question, Bandai already knows that the YF/VF-19's sell well, so they're not a priority for the HMR. As for the YF-21, Bandai couldn't release that without committing itself to the YF-19.

I realize that's an unusual business model, but it's the only one that I can think of that would explain why Bandai has released certain mecha in the HMR and not others.

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

You can't really compare action figures like GI Joes and Transformers to HMR releases.  Kids aren't buying these to have battles on their bedroom floors with.  If they cost $5-$10 a pop?  Sure, kids would eat them up.  But that's not what these are.

On another note though.. keep in mind that the vast majority of popular Macross mechs transform.  Selling the non-transforming mechs and vehicles from the franchise is like trying to market all of the standard civilian vehicles seen in Transformers cartoons.  "Oh look, it's that jeep that the one army guy followed Optimus Prime in... yay?"  They just aren't nearly as interesting as toys.

I don't know, while transforming the DX Chogokin VF1J the thought that was going through my mind was "this transformation gimmick is a bit of a schlep".

I wonder how many times people actually transform their Valkyrie between one mode and another.

Give me the non-transforming Zentradi mecha any day.

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I don't know, while transforming the DX Chogokin VF1J the thought that was going through my mind was "this transformation gimmick is a bit of a schlep".

I wonder how many times people actually transform their Valkyrie between one mode and another.

When it comes to the HMR line, I don't even transform mine (maybe once out of the box, just to get it into the mode I want as its final "display piece") – but for some reason, knowing it can transform makes 'em that much better. It's kind of like knowing what's under the hood of a sports car even though you may only take it to its fullest speed a few times. 

Thankfully, there are enough variants in the HMR line to where you can leave them static and still have an assortment of modes to look at. 

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Granted, we're not talking about marketing these to kids, but I wouldn't be surprised if that type of thinking is basically what led to the 5 POA Star Wars figures both returning, and then bombing utterly.  Functionality, either in points of articulation, transformation, or just general playability is a huge factor in convincing people to buy things, and plays a huge part in perceived value, even if it's something you don't make use of a lot.  Just knowing a product is capable of something adds to the desirability and potential profit margin for the company producing the product.

There have been fairly successful toylines of pure mechs like the old Battletech toys that didn't transform or do anything particularly fancy, but the only way to get kids to buy those was to dress them up with spring-loaded missile launchers, pop-off battle damage, and other "action" features.  Even then, I don't think those toys lasted very long, and I remember them seeming incredibly overpriced for a robot that could swing it's arms and legs, shoot a few missiles, and pop the cockpit off like an ejection pod.

Those are "toy" things though, and these are basically pre-built models, with a more collector-centric focus.

The most telling thing about the lack of more destroid releases to me is that Bandai clearly has plenty of time to make other designs, and they aren't making more destroids.  You know that if there was a huge demand for them, Bandai would be cranking them out instead of the never-ending parade of VF-1s.  But they aren't.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, fifbeat said:

When it comes to the HMR line, I don't even transform mine (maybe once out of the box, just to get it into the mode I want as its final "display piece") – but for some reason, knowing it can transform makes 'em that much better. It's kind of like knowing what's under the hood of a sports car even though you may only take it to its fullest speed a few times. 

Thankfully, there are enough variants in the HMR line to where you can leave them static and still have an assortment of modes to look at. 

Agreed. I’ll set one up the way I want and leave it on display for long periods of time, along with others in alternate modes. Then you can transform and change up the display after a while. 

That plus I’ve had this happen to me twice: I show someone my small Macross collection, I mention they transform, and I’m asked “Really? How?” Then I show them right quick. There is usually a display of delight or amazement afterwards.

If I had to say they transform, but these models can’t, there’d be a far less enthusiastic reaction, and that’s what adds to the value of these toys, for me. 

19 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I think that Bandai setup the HMR line as a testbed of sorts for neglected Macross toys. Notwithstanding the VF-1 (which was grandfathered in from the old HM line), that would explain why we've never seen blue-chip Macross toys in the HMR, such the VF-25's, VF-31's, and YF/VF-19's. For example, if a HMR toy sells exceptionally well, then that would put it on the short list for the DX treatment (eg: the DX 1/48 VF-1). And if a line consistently underperforms (eg: the Destroids), then Bandai would know not to throw more good money after the bad. Going back to your question, Bandai already knows that the YF/VF-19's sell well, so they're not a priority for the HMR. As for the YF-21, Bandai couldn't release that without committing itself to the YF-19.

I realize that's an unusual business model, but it's the only one that I can think of that would explain why Bandai has released certain mecha in the HMR and not others.

Wasn't the first (new) Hi Metal line release the VF19Kai?  Followed by the VF-1 and the improved VF19s?  It's just an remold away for the YF19...

25 minutes ago, SailCat said:

Wasn't the first (new) Hi Metal line release the VF19Kai?  Followed by the VF-1 and the improved VF19s?  It's just an remold away for the YF19...

The VF-19Kai and 19S were made in 2010 as part of the Hi-Metal line.

The new line is Hi-Metal R, and started in 2016 IIRC.

20 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I think that Bandai setup the HMR line as a testbed of sorts for neglected Macross toys.

Until they sadly introduced other anime lines into it....then it became the 80's-ish anime toyline :(

If that never happened, maybe we would have been talking about the VF-1A Alaska Base, Q-Rau and VEFR-1 by now.....8)

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Until they sadly introduced other anime lines into it....then it became the 80's-ish anime toyline :(

If that never happened, maybe we would have been talking about the VF-1A Alaska Base, Q-Rau and VEFR-1 by now.....8)

Even better yet, static recon, ghost, and lancer toys!  Those others would be done already ;)

1 hour ago, SailCat said:

Those were old Hi-Metal line.  And God Forbid they reuse those horrible 19 molds of theirs.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Unlikely. They'd have probably just not made anything during those times. There's been plenty of months over the last year they could have done a Macross HMR release and there was nothing at all instead. Realistically, Macross is a niche product same as the other HMR releases are. The fact they've been teasing the Tomahawk for like 4 months and there's no pre-order to speak of kind of says it all.

25 minutes ago, Atheonyirh said:

Unlikely. They'd have probably just not made anything during those times. There's been plenty of months over the last year they could have done a Macross HMR release and there was nothing at all instead. Realistically, Macross is a niche product same as the other HMR releases are. The fact they've been teasing the Tomahawk for like 4 months and there's no pre-order to speak of kind of says it all.

Laughable....the non-Macross HMR releases would have just simply been Macross releases