Hi-Metal R

joppewo

On 12/27/2018 at 9:12 AM, vlenhoff said:

On Topic, I have a sickness for the HiMetal- R VT-1, and there's only one remedy...

5EBC2319-D912-4A7B-BB03-B2BEFAB78385.jpeg.dedc193b052f4d000aea933214215faa.jpeg

Since they all go well with each other, I personally recommend to anyone starting off or filling in their collection to get at least 1 VF-1, Regult, Glaug, Monster, Spartan, Defender, VF-2SS, and VF-4.

2 hours ago, Tober said:

Is there any way to request Bandai to release the Phalanx and Tomahawk as exclusives? It does really look like they won't get released. :(

I think Bandai is just intentionally holding out, knowing that those destroids are in demand, to keep interest in the line. As popular as the Tomahawk is, I don’t see any way they’d refuse to make it.

Edit: All this talk of the Monster is making me want to track one down now...

Edited by ScrambledValkyrie

1 hour ago, Tober said:

It does really look like they won't get released. :(

Bandai has already demonstrated that they intend to release every reasonable Macross item they have teased in their Macross line....items like the Monster, VF-2SS, SuperO and Elint....heck, even the VF-4....we'll get them eventually...maybe in 2019....unless they get bumped again for something crazy like a TV Q-Rau or N-Ger!  :unknw:

Listen to the Goose! :good:

8 hours ago, treatment said:

It's a big box.

Iirc, the separate cannons are very light plastic tubes, but the body is rather not as light as the cannons due to some diecast (inner frame of the feet?) mixed in.

edit:

ya know what?

if you haven't, yet, then just check out jenius' review of it to get a sense of the heft and sizing and stuff:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=8442

Wow... and lol! I haven’t seen this video before and I am more used to Jenius’ more serious reviews, so this one is very, erm... refreshing.

Please consider asking Mrs Jenius to do the upcoming VF-1 DX review, it’s the biggest Valk issued to date after all (but it doesn’t come in black yet). :D

8 hours ago, jenius said:

That's Mrs. Jenius' review! She was just saying she wants to get back in front of the camera.

HLJ actually gives you all the info you need in their item description:

Item Size/Weight:
30.2cm x 30.0cm x 27.1cm / 2290g

If I were you, I would buy it online and ship it. Even if you could fit it in the suitcase, lugging that thing around would be a chore since it's like a perfect cube.

Right I see, thanks for the dimensions info. Maybe the shipping cost is justified for the monster after all... 

4 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I think Bandai is just intentionally holding out, knowing that those destroids are in demand, to keep interest in the line. As popular as the Tomahawk is, I don’t see any way they’d refuse to make it.

What spooks me is that we have seen all of those mecha in that original diorama released except the Phalanx, Tomahawk and Nousjadeul-Ger. And half the tooling for the Phalanx and Tomahawk is done in the Defender.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Bandai has already demonstrated that they intend to release every reasonable Macross item they have teased in their Macross line....items like the Monster, VF-2SS, SuperO and Elint....heck, even the VF-4....we'll get them eventually...maybe in 2019....unless they get bumped again for something crazy like a TV Q-Rau or N-Ger!  :unknw:

Listen to the Goose! :good:

I am reassured by The Goose. :)

Yes....that's certainly one way to do it..HOWEVER...as an experienced modeler and toy panel lining guy, (I've done over 30  1:60 Ver2 Yamato's and Bandai DX's/HM-R's)--

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Tamiya Panel line wash.

It WILL attack certain kinds of plastics that Bandai themselves use and turn it into a crumbly mess. I have SEVERAL Star Wars Bandai model kits that have fallen prey to this just this year.  This stuff has it's uses, but IT IS vicious on some plastics especially where joints are concerned!  My recommendation is using Flory's Clay based Dark Dirt wash for the Valks.  It's clay based, which means it's water soluble. The Tamiya panel line wash IS NOT, it takes paint thinner to take it off and that will also effect paint finish and the tampo printing is overly applied.  It's SO muuuuch easier to clean up and make your lines perfect with the Flory's.  I actually did two white neck filler parts as a side by side test, one with the Tamiya and one with the Flory's, to the naked eye, there is no difference. 

Just my .02! 

Edited by derex3592

Thanks for the advice, flory sounds safer! Though its hard to get it off-site UK/US?

Are there any US based shops selling flory's? I recall there was a link before(other than florymodels.org) when flory's was discusssed but cant find it..
Might have an opening coming up to get it down to this part of the world...

otherwise maybe some vallejo washes will do the trick...damm....now am all excited...

Edited by seti88

48 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Yes....that's certainly one way to do it..HOWEVER...as an experienced modeler and toy panel lining guy, (I've done over 30  1:60 Ver2 Yamato's and Bandai DX's/HM-R's)--

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Tamiya Panel line wash.

It WILL attack certain kinds of plastics that Bandai themselves use and turn it into a crumbly mess. I have SEVERAL Star Wars Bandai model kits that have fallen prey to this just this year.  This stuff has it's uses, but IT IS vicious on some plastics especially where joints are concerned!  My recommendation is using Flory's Clay based Dark Dirt wash for the Valks.  It's clay based, which means it's water soluble. The Tamiya panel line wash IS NOT, it takes paint thinner to take it off and that will also effect paint finish and the tampo printing is overly applied.  It's SO muuuuch easier to clean up and make your lines perfect with the Flory's.  I actually did two white neck filler parts as a side by side test, one with the Tamiya and one with the Flory's, to the naked eye, there is no difference. 

Just my .02! 

I’m on board with this. I use two methods. One is to use the old graphite or lead shavings with soap and the other is acrylic spray with a fine airbrush. A cotton swab will remove any over application without affecting the plastics.

Adding my two cents to make it four!

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Carbon + soap? Do they even mix well?

They do. It’s an old technique used by modelers. The nice thing about it is you can remove the effects years later without affecting the finish as long as you topcoat first and then apply the mixture.  I have used it on several projects and the great thing is it still looks great! 

23 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Ok... how about Gundam Panel line markers?

Get the pour type, and it’ll do a decent job. You can clean up with a Pentax eraser, or just rubbing it with your finger if it hasn’t dried all the way. Isopropyl will remove it entirely.

The pour types work via capillary action, just touch it to the panel line in one spot and it’ll work it’s way along.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:00 AM, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I highly recommend that you get one.

12 hours ago, Sildani said:

Ok... how about Gundam Panel line markers?

If you're using Gundam panel-line marker, I would recommend using the one marked GM21 - a felt-tipped water based paint panel-line marker.

An alternative to Flory wash is Vallejo wash which is also water-based.  Vallejo might be easier to acquire as it's available on Amazon.

Was always a fan of the white on the VF-1A HMR (grayish white).

I know they're Anime-accurate, but the bright whites always made the toys look cheap. 

It's really annoying for the VF-1J HMR in particular, (since, out of the entire HMR line, it sticks out like soar thumb because of the bright white). As of now, it's the only HMR I don't own (for that reason), but I might just pick it up for "completion" purposes. 

Aren't the bright whites more prone to yellowing as well? 

Thanks for reposting the photo Jenius.

Edited by fifbeat

3 hours ago, jenius said:

Someone asked in my HMR VF-2SS review about the shade of white so I put this photo together, posting it here because they're probably more likely to see it here first :)

Bandai-HMR-VF-2SS-23.jpg

Thanks Jenius that’s a great comparison picture clearly showing the different “whites”. I wonder what the Arcadia (2015 reissue) VF-1J in the GBP set might look in the pic. I am guessing it will have a white that’s closer to the VF-2SS?

17 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I am guessing it will have a white that’s closer to the VF-2SS?

Can I answer this one? ;) For me, yes. I have both Yamato and Arcadia VF-1J. Arcadia's bright white is using some pink tint to it.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:03 AM, jvmacross said:

.unless they get bumped again for something crazy like a TV Q-Rau or N-Ger!  

Whoa there, them’s fighting words!

With regards to Bandai’s release schedule, I gotta say I do think everything we’ve seen will get released. If you look at their unreleased SHMonster Arts Godzilla like, they have like 30 more to go and I think they will also release all of them.