Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Last night my dog bashed into one of my display shelves and sent Max flying down to the hardwood floor from about 5 feet off the ground.

Head, arm, super parts and a few other miscellaneous bits exploded off on impact but nothing broke!

Popped all of Max’s bits’n’pieces back on and he was as good as new :) 

55 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Last night my dog bashed into one of my display shelves and sent Max flying down to the hardwood floor from about 5 feet off the ground.

Head, arm, super parts and a few other miscellaneous bits exploded off on impact but nothing broke!

Yeah the valks are pretty durable.  My Max fell off of the display stand from about 5 1/2 feet off the ground.  It landed on carpet, but stuff still came off.  Nothing was broken or bent, though, just missiles and super parts came off.

The only fragile part prone to breaking easily that I’ve noticed among all of the HMR releases so far are the back cannons to the Regult.  I wonder if the back cannons for the Missile Type Set are made of softer plastic.

Finally got my VF-2SS (had to wait for replacement parts for something else before I could ship) and man, whoever was in charge of QC must have been asleep at the wheel. On mine paint is a mess (fortunately, some Microsol and a melamine sponge made quick work of most of it), I'm almost certain the screws on the chest near the arms for folding it down are wrong or the dimensions for the countersink are (they're not flush and are preventing the bars from sliding up), and I've got the tight left shoulder outward swing joint. She's certainly a pretty bird from most angles but fidgety as all hell. Really hate how the chest does not want to stay secure in Battroid. Still, I do like it and would definitely play Preorder Madness to buy a DX.

Also, I did the cockpit mod from 2ch posted earlier, if anyone's curious about it.

For those that have hands-on experience with their HMR VF-2SS how do you like Fighter mode?

I've only got (1) and it's listed for sale but if it doesn't find a good home and I end up keeping it, it'll probably end up in Fighter mode so I'm curious what other's think of this Valkyrie.

For the record, I'd rather have a DX Chogokin or Arcadia effort which is why I'm perfectly fine letting the HMR go.

-b.

15 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

For those that have hands-on experience with their HMR VF-2SS how do you like Fighter mode?

I've only got (1) and it's listed for sale but if it doesn't find a good home and I end up keeping it, it'll probably end up in Fighter mode so I'm curious what other's think of this Valkyrie.

For the record, I'd rather have a DX Chogokin or Arcadia effort which is why I'm perfectly fine letting the HMR go.

-b.

I'd say keep it for now, while I'd love to see a DX or a 1/60 Arcadia attempt (this might be it for a while). For its size this VF-2SS is awesome, joints are super tight on both of mine and holds wonderfully in Fighter Mode, with or without the SAP on. Unlike the ET version which I have, you can actually Swoosh this one around! B))

32 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

-b.

Hey B! TBH, I love this in fighter mode. So sleek looking. So sleek it felt like the lineart came to life. :wub: And it's better than the ET counterpart.

Overall for me, this small guy might be wobbly sometimes when handling but it really beats all modes and wobbliness of the ET figure.

I say, keep it for now. And if ever Bandai decides to make a DX figure in the future then sell it if you want to. If not, then you'll have a good and decent desktop figure. ^_^

41 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I'd say keep it for now, while I'd love to see a DX or a 1/60 Arcadia attempt (this might be it for a while). For its size this VF-2SS is awesome, joints are super tight on both of mine and holds wonderfully in Fighter Mode, with or without the SAP on. Unlike the ET version which I have, you can actually Swoosh this one around! B))

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey B! TBH, I love this in fighter mode. So sleek looking. So sleek it felt like the lineart came to life. :wub: And it's better than the ET counterpart.

Overall for me, this small guy might be wobbly sometimes when handling but it really beats all modes and wobbliness of the ET figure.

I say, keep it for now. And if ever Bandai decides to make a DX figure in the future then sell it if you want to. If not, then you'll have a good and decent desktop figure. ^_^

Thank you very much guys!

It sounds like the yeas have it.

-b.

7 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

That's good.   I don't think  yammies could. 

My revoltech macross stuff seems pretty tough too. 

11 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Thank you very much guys!

It sounds like the yeas have it.

-b.

Definitely. It's a beautiful little toy. But you have to accept that it's HMR 1/100 quality, not DX or Yamato quality. You just cant get that level of perfection in 1/100.

We wont have a good 1/60 from Bandai or Arcadia for at least a few years, so it's the best we got till then. 

Plus the fact that Bandai re-engineered an entirely new joint system using modern materials makes it even more exciting.

Edited by arbit

So the Regults are not in the same scale as the VF-1’s right? They are supposed to be large enough to fit a grown Zentadi trooper inside and the VF-1 is the same size as an average Zentradi right?

Chris

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

So the Regults are not in the same scale as the VF-1’s right? They are supposed to be large enough to fit a grown Zentadi trooper inside and the VF-1 is the same size as an average Zentradi right?

Chris

Oh, they're in-scale. Zentradi themselves, however have wildly varying sizes. Note that they're the same size as a VF-1, but also the same size as a VF-25, and also fit in a regult.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:52 PM, ChandlerYohn said:

Hi Hachi, great to see the packaging on these. It's a very cool set and nice to see that you can even configure them with lasers in lieu of the missiles. 

Take care and thanks so much for sharing. 

Yeah np, they're cool toys! Anyway, Happy New Year everyone!

So I took them out of the box for the first look. They have different markings than the plain regult, on the front and sides. The side of the plain regult doesn't have markings. One thing I was alarmed about was the hatch didn't open easily, unlike on the plain regult. Though not really a problem if you don't open it anyway when playing with it...

large.HMR_TRIO_2.JPG.9b43ebbeb0e03106608a11897ccf1f38.JPGlarge.HMR_TRIO_1.JPG.f8b216de4cacb43cc1d332aad750bf0d.JPGlarge.HMR_REGULTS.JPG.b94ca80ecacdc528cebee17f0e60b812.JPG

Now the bad news...I seem to be missing an adaptor from the plain regult. I have no idea when I lost it. And one of the little cannons of the missile type flew off somewhere while I tried opening the cockpit hatch. I seem to be very clumsy with the little things...

11 hours ago, jvmacross said:

One size does not fit all.....

sizechart-zentradimeltrandi-mecha.jpg

I take this size chart with a pinch of salt. For one thing you don't see Breetai towering over a Zentraedi warrior to this degree anywhere in the original series.  Neither does Kamjin( Exedol is also taller than an armoured warrior here. Also the uniform is miles bigger than an entire armoured warrior which is insane.)

The VF is definitely too big next to the Regult.  If you go by Delta a standing Zentraedi warrior should come up to just below the Regults knee joint and (based on the original series)  nearly eye-eye with a VF (Based on the both on the scene where Hikaru encounters a warrior just before the Zentraedi vessel is destroyed by the Daedalus, and when a Zentraedi soldier grapples briefly with a Battroid aboard Breetai's flagship.)

13 hours ago, Dobber said:

Chris

12 hours ago, jvmacross said:

One size does not fit all.....

*snip*

An interesting section from the Macross Mecha Manual about the height:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrosstechman/tech-zentradiheight.html

Anybody know what those markings mean on the regults? Is it a unit marking or ship? Translating it doesn't help.

I think we discussed the Regult markings back around PO time but I can't remember any conclusions. 

Thinking it was about that time of the month for another HMR PO, I noticed that Bandai is releasing a Blader from Technopolis 21C for May, so I'm guessing no new Macross HMR until next month, likely for a June release.

5 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Anybody know what those markings mean on the regults? Is it a unit marking or ship? Translating it doesn't help.

4 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I think we discussed the Regult markings back around PO time but I can't remember any conclusions. 

This.  I asked that same question when the pictures were first released.  We went through the Zentraedi "alphabet" and it didn't mean anything.  I think we just concluded that "it looked cool."  Bandai is also heavily influenced by this line art:

reguld-light_small.gifreguld-heavy_small.gif

Which has those markings so... they put them on the toy.  Like others said earlier in the discussion, you rarely see that level of detail in the actual animation, so what they mean/where they come from is anyone's guess really. 

Looking at them again, I just noticed they have different markings on the leg around the "knee."  I wonder if that is intentional.  Too bad those didn't make it on to the toy.