Hi-Metal R

joppewo

6 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

What is that gun the vf-1 is holding?  Is that from Macross the First?

It's an early Prototype Gunpod (GU-12?) design by Kawamori that was featured in one of the old Macross Design book. I forgot which specific it is.

Edited by no3Ljm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've seen many promo pictures. However, it's just the same promo pictures from....June? July?

I'm pretty sure those were actual physical prototypes, not CG renders. However, they seemed to be hand-painted prototypes that were HEAVILY Photoshopped. For example, some photos show some rather distracting black metal hip joints, while other photos seem to have Photoshopped these joints out and replaced them with shadow. The Photoshop is so strong, it surely looks like CGI renders.

i suppose the base is also included and not just the joint arms?

Its not entirely clear translated from the TN page;

■ Set contents
· Main body
· A set of landing gears
· Gunpod
· Replacement wrist right and left three each
· Small main wing parts for replacement
· A complete set of SAP units
· Squier drone for SAP × 4
· Complete joint parts for soul STAGE
· Replacement Ante

Also the shoulder for the arm not holding the gunpod looks off (wrong way installed) in the display. Wonder how they could have made that mistake, since a shoulder is not something you remove and install. Put it down to a pre-prod model i guess.

2 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Also the shoulder for the arm not holding the gunpod looks off (wrong way installed) in the display. Wonder how they could have made that mistake, since a shoulder is not something you remove and install. Put it down to a pre-prod model i guess.

That's ok, Seti. How many times we have seen mistransformed, misaligned, gaps and whatnot on their displays? ;) 

So, judging by the molding on the left shoulder, it actually looks like they just have it mounted backwards.  It's the same shape as the right side, but without the molded slot on the bottom edge.  Given the acrobatics the VF-2SS's structure goes through to relocate joints during transformation, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's possible to not completely rotate the arm around, and have it wind up looking like that.

Could also be that the shoulder covers can pop off, and it was just reattached the wrong way.  Looks like there's a trap door in the shoulder covers that folds out for something as well, so it might be easy to remove the whole thing to prevent breakage.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Could also be that the shoulder covers can pop off, and it was just reattached the wrong way.  Looks like there's a trap door in the shoulder covers that folds out for something as well, so it might be easy to remove the whole thing to prevent breakage.

That's my guess, personally. It probably just clips onto the shoulder joint or something and popped off while they were messing with it, so they put it back on in a way that looked right even if it was technically wrong. That trap door seems to be some kind of panel that pops out to allow more arm movement to the side.

9 hours ago, arbit said:

I hope those metal joints are black die-cast, not painted black, the paint will chip. 

True.

It's disappointing if Bandai used a painted diecast joints knowing that we all know that they're capable on producing dark colored diecast parts that they used on their DX Chogokin figures.

15 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Gah, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a preorder in for the VF2-SS.

I didn't even know it exist until it was too late, now I'm hopping that will be more available after the release. Why are the feet so tiny on this figure, seems like small feet are a trend nowadays.

4 hours ago, Valkyrie2008 said:

I didn't even know it exist until it was too late, now I'm hopping that will be more available after the release. Why are the feet so tiny on this figure, seems like small feet are a trend nowadays.

The design is, what, 20 years old now? Not sure you can blame a recent trend for it.

21 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Gah, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a preorder in for the VF2-SS.

6 hours ago, Valkyrie2008 said:

I just put in a cancellation request for it at NY. If it goes through perhaps it'll be available for pick up on release.

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Hopefully I'll be able to score one on release since I missed the 2 minute pre-order window.

More like 2 days. It was available at most retailers for a while. 

You should be able to get one at release.

3 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Hopefully I'll be able to score one on release since I missed the 2 minute pre-order window.

Don't you mean 2 seconds only? 2 minutes preorder window is already a lot for a Macross toy. ;)

But kidding aside, I think this preorder lasted beyond 48 hours. So there's a big chance that you'll score one upon release. ^_^

Does anyone know where the gunpod goes in non-SAP fighter mode?  I'm personallly just wondering how much parts-swapping this will have.

I really love the HMR vf-1 except for how many pieces need to get switched out for battroid!