Hi-Metal R

joppewo

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I'll probably just finish the other shoulder for now.  I like that the effect part is now interchangeable.  The missiles are made from a cut up straw.

Classic movie.  :D

Makes you wonder if in the past, kawamori and gang finished drinking their red sodas, and tot to themselves...hey those look like missiles!

1 minute ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Cool! First I thought the sign next to it might be saying preorders start on Jan 27, then I realized it was for the Mirage figure to the left. (And ¥5400 would have been a really good price on this, I think.)

That got me too, but if I were to guess at the preorder window now I would say that it's been bumped from sometime up to soon. ^_^

I think Bandai will give us other valks eventually down the road, but decided to give the destroids some love. I think it's kinda fun seeing what they will release each month. I'm personally more focused on VF-1 models, but am getting awfully tempted to maybe get a Tomahawk and Defender (assuming it gets made) to supplement the collection.

Well they haven't done a new VF mold yet.

Question: Once they get out one of the two seaters, will they be able to use the same cockpit mold on the VF-1D, VT-1, and VE-1? Or will each have a totally different mold?

This would effect the roll out, I assume.

3 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

That video does have a definite pink cast. I took the preview image into Photoshop and balanced the color so the background is a neutral gray, and here's the result. Probably still not a totally accurate representation of the product, though.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.43.05 AM copy copy.jpg

What technique in Photoshop did you use to balance it? Did you just apply a filter or was it something more technical? I've been noticing that lots of pics on my website have slightly different hues and I was trying to determine a way to get them all to be uniform.

9 minutes ago, jenius said:

What technique in Photoshop did you use to balance it? Did you just apply a filter or was it something more technical? I've been noticing that lots of pics on my website have slightly different hues and I was trying to determine a way to get them all to be uniform.

Basically I point to an area of the image that should be "uncolored" (either white or light gray) and use the Info palette to see what the levels of CMYK or RGB are. If it's pure white or gray, they should be equal numbers. If it looks high in a particular channel (like the Blue numbers are too high, or like in this case the Magenta number was too high) I use the Curves to pull out just enough to bring the numbers in line. It's similar to what photographers do when they white balance an image.

So a bit more technical than just a filter, but there may be a simple filter to do this. It's actually easier than I'm probably making it sound, and can explain further if you like. I've got a professional background in graphic design as well as photo and video editing. ^_^

28 minutes ago, arbit said:

Well they haven't done a new VF mold yet.

Question: Once they get out one of the two seaters, will they be able to use the same cockpit mold on the VF-1D, VT-1, and VE-1? Or will each have a totally different mold?

This would effect the roll out, I assume.

SuperO and Elint would use the same cockpit design.....

Bandai would need a new design for the VF-1D cockpit.....but it could easily milk it with a Virgin Road....:rolleyes:

schematic-vt1.gif

schematic-vf1d.gif

Edited by jvmacross

8 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Or Bandai could just make them all share the same two seater cockpit.

Yeah,  Bandai doesn't seem to be the same stickler for details Yamato was. 

40 minutes ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Basically I point to an area of the image that should be "uncolored" (either white or light gray) and use the Info palette to see what the levels of CMYK or RGB are. If it's pure white or gray, they should be equal numbers. If it looks high in a particular channel (like the Blue numbers are too high, or like in this case the Magenta number was too high) I use the Curves to pull out just enough to bring the numbers in line. It's similar to what photographers do when they white balance an image.

So a bit more technical than just a filter, but there may be a simple filter to do this. It's actually easier than I'm probably making it sound, and can explain further if you like. I've got a professional background in graphic design as well as photo and video editing. ^_^

Cool, I'll tinker and pm if I have more questions. 

3 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I would love it if Bandai released TV arm armor.  I'll probably end up sculpting my own.

Either one of those I'd really like to see. I'm kinda doubtful Bandai would do it at this point, since they've already released most of the relevant TV models that would theoretically use them. If you could pull off the arm sculpting, that'd be impressive. How would you potentially do that?

I really want that tomahawk. I like the valks, but it does kinda feel like getting the same toy over again. I also want a nice enemy army to go with all these good guys, so hopefully we can get some more zentraidi enemy mecha along with these awesome destroids.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Or Bandai could just make them all share the same two seater cockpit.

I don't see them trying to get away with that with the VF-1D.....it would negate the R for Respect on what is arguably one of the most iconic VF's in SDFM....let alone the entire franchise.....they'll squeeze a VR out of it....probably as a websclusive....god knows you'll never see one from Arcadia!  :lol:

53 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I don't see them trying to get away with that with the VF-1D.....it would negate the R for Respect on what is arguably one of the most iconic VF's in SDFM....let alone the entire franchise.....they'll squeeze a VR out of it....probably as a websclusive....god knows you'll never see one from Arcadia!  :lol:

Yeah and a CF VF-1D.

3 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Either one of those I'd really like to see. I'm kinda doubtful Bandai would do it at this point, since they've already released most of the relevant TV models that would theoretically use them. If you could pull off the arm sculpting, that'd be impressive. How would you potentially do that?

Hot glue?  JK.  Probably work with some sculpting material.  My other option is to work off of existing TV arm armors of different models and toys.

Finally bought a Hi-Metal Super Parts set.  Now with the stickers I don't have to paint the Fast Pack skull area for my custom DYRL VF-1A Max and Kakizaki, only have to paint the heatshields.

IMG_2239.PNG

Edited by sh9000

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Hot glue?  JK.  Probably work with some sculpting material.  My other option is to work off of existing TV arm armors of different models and toys.

Finally bought a Hi-Metal Super Parts set.  Now with the stickers I don't have to paint the Fast Pack skull area for my custom DYRL VF-1A Max and Kakizaki, only have to paint the heatshields.

IMG_2239.PNG

Did you get the one that showed up on Mandarake today? Hope it comes with stickers unused. I got one from there last month and the Hikaru skull stickers were already applied. 

Speaking of skull areas, there are these white skull-only stickers available that might be helpful for customization:

http://www.tfkingdom.com/skullsqd