Hi-Metal R

joppewo

So.. "funny" discovery about the fit issues mentioned earlier.

Managed to pop off the thruster cover flap on my Max.. surprise surprise, everything meshes much better in fighter mode without that flap there. I checked with one leg dropped on a CF, and yep, that flap is what's pushing the arms down, screwing up the alignment across the board. It's still not perfect though, I think the tabs on the legs are just slightly too high, and they're mashing the arms upwards against the backpack.

Bandai either made that flap too thick, or they forgot to account for where it would fit in fighter mode, because the whole thing just works much better without it. <_<

Why all Japanese toy producers tend not to pay for Harmony Gold for the US market?

There's a separate thread for the dispute but the short answer is that HG hasn't contributed in any meaningful ways to the creators of Macross, HG's legal claims are questionable, and the perception is that HG hasn't been honest or acted in good faith when dealing with the Japanese companies.

How'd you get the cover off? I've got flash here and there between the cover and body of the backpack and would love to take care of it.

I actually just kind of tugged on it, the pegs aren't that long, and it just popped off after pulling a bit at an angle. Be careful with it though, I know I've heard of some people having that piece missing, and I don't recall whether it just popped loose in the box, or if the loops that hold it in may have broken.

Edited by Chronocidal

There's a separate thread for the dispute but the short answer is that HG hasn't contributed in any meaningful ways to the creators of Macross, HG's legal claims are questionable, and the perception is that HG hasn't been honest or acted in good faith when dealing with the Japanese companies.

The (former?) head of HG (Agrama) was Berlusconi's occult partner in USA, so it is not unlikely that the behaviour of HG is a bit shady.

Edited by nexxstrait

I've been impressed with the Glaug and the Hikaru VF-1J, so I decided to get max and the triple display stand. The quality on these is really high, I just wish they were a little bit ..

Well in terms of the VF-1, that's what the 1/60 V2 are for!

I only whish that the balst shield, landing gears, gunpod handle are retractable....

Knowing that the HM-R price tags now are already in the $80-90's +/-, adding those would make the price go up more. And if that happens, it's better to get a 1/60 VF-1. ;)

My only exposure to Toynami was the horrid VF1S Masterpiece. I got rid of it almost immediately. Anyway, without killing a dea horse, how's the quality of their 1/100 Valks? Aside from the VF1S limited HMR, I have all the latest HMR releases (Regault, Glaug, VF1J armored,VF1J,VF1J Max, VF1S Hikaru) is it even fair to compare them to that of Toynami's 1/100?

I'm asking is because I've seen the Armored ones at BBTS being offered for like US$ 150 ish

Toynami had a chance to step up their game to Bandai but for some reason that fell out. They were planning on releasing some 1/55, including the first ever VF-1D 1/55 Bandai. It's too bad it never materialized. It's good to get info from these threads before buying. I still kinda prefer the 1/60 Yamato over these but not at the prices they command now. Luckily I got some good deals. One time I paid $25 shipped for a VF-1A 1/60. I felt that was a pretty good price. I collect V1's because that is what I started out with.

Still, here's to hoping Bandai continues this series.

Edited by amptor

Toynami is not in the same league. If you have an HMR you will be unhappy with the 1/100s. The standalone toys are cheap and disposable so that is cool for some uses. The GBP release was pretty pricey for a Toynami in my opinion.

Thanks for the input.

Forgot to mention, the Toynami armored 1/100 are three figures for the 150 ish at BBTS. They must be wanting to get rid of them like pronto!

Edited by fenrir72