Hi-Metal R

joppewo

The scale for the Regults (and probably Glaugs too) has been fudged somewhat, I was told. They're a little smaller than they should be, but close enough. That said, I'm okay with not being able to fit pilots into them...

.. especially if Bandai gives us in-scale Zentran/Meltran figures. Breetai, Kamjin, Millia, some foot soldiers.

Please? :lol:

Looks really good, but no amount of anime sorcery will make a 1/100 Zentran figure fit into a 1/100 HMR Regult.....are you going to offer it as a Plastic Cretins product?

It's ironic that it is all the detail that is keeping a 3 3/4" (1/100?) figure from squeezing into the cockpit....I think it is actually big enough if it were mostly hollow....or much smaller internal details...

I may. Maybe at first as a statuette... then articulated figure... once I get around to actually articulating it. lol.

Those two levers are way too close to the back I wish they just omitted it. But I still think the opening is too tight for figures to be able to go in there much less get them to sit up in place.

The 2 rear cannons do come off though, if they ever decide to add the missle pods to future releases.

I just semi-pre-ordered the Monster (HMR, obviously) from a Canadian-based company: www.itcamefromjapan.com

He quoted me about $270 USD (not including shipping, which he'll know once he knows the box dimensions) – he says the price may change if Bandai's MSRP changes. I know this price is steep, but considering all this "pre-order" hunting these days – something that not a lot of people have time for – I don't mind paying some extra cash here and there, especially if it guarantees a proper delivery (especially from a retail store, and not an eBay dude). And I like the fact that it's in Canada, so that's local enough for me (I live in the U.S.).

Very nice guy, real personable. Takes him a couple of days to get back to me, but he always does WITH a SOLID, detailed answer. I've ordered from him before, nothing but a positive experience. Packs well, no dents in boxes.

I don't think he has the order page up yet, but definitely drop him an email if you're interested. He said he guarantees me one, since he's putting his order in early.

Edited by fifbeat

based on the Regult and Glaug, I don't think the monster will be hard to get. I'm waiting on HLJ to open preorders again, and if they don't I'll go AmiAmi.

Totally! I'm a frequent customer, so I do what I can to support who has given me great service. Just throwing it out there! :)

I just semi-pre-ordered the Monster (HMR, obviously) from a Canadian-based company: www.itcamefromjapan.com

He quoted me about $270 USD (not including shipping, which he'll know once he knows the box dimensions) he says the price may change if Bandai's MSRP changes. I know this price is steep, but considering all this "pre-order" hunting these days something that not a lot of people have time for I don't mind paying some extra cash here and there, especially if it guarantees a proper delivery (especially from a retail store, and not an eBay dude). And I like the fact that it's in Canada, so that's local enough for me (I live in the U.S.).

Very nice guy, real personable. Takes him a couple of days to get back to me, but he always does WITH a SOLID, detailed answer. I've ordered from him before, nothing but a positive experience. Packs well, no dents in boxes.

I don't think he has the order page up yet, but definitely drop him an email if you're interested. He said he guarantees me one, since he's putting his order in early.

Good to know I looked them up bit didn't know how reliable they were. Anyway I'd still prefer Japanese retailers due to the exchange rate and fast ems shipping. Id go with amiami or hlj.

I may. Maybe at first as a statuette... then articulated figure... once I get around to actually articulating it. lol.

Those two levers are way too close to the back I wish they just omitted it. But I still think the opening is too tight for figures to be able to go in there much less get them to sit up in place.

The 2 rear cannons do come off though, if they ever decide to add the missle pods to future releases.

You may have to open up the regult body to put a torso in there. If you are a modeler you could put it back together. If not you might break it.

I got 3 (CDJ) of the 6 regults I ordered a couple of days back. I opened one of them up and am thoroughly impressed, I have always wanted to have one in my collection with scaled valks. I passed up the HDP version even though I really wanted it twice. I think I am ok with these HMR versions, plus we get a Monster and a Glaug. Hopefully all of the Destroids and power armor get released as well. I don't have any official numbers but it seems this HMR toy line is doing well.

Other than for posing climbing in and climbing out I still don't understand why anything actually needs to reside inside the Regult. You can't see it.

Yeah... I was gonna say, it's not worth cracking that sucker open just to see the partial back of a pilot that I can't take out... but let's face it, you see a detailed cockpit like that, you're going to wish you can put a figure in there. Unless of course you belong to a forum where a bunch of other members have already tried.

I'm so happy with this toy though. I've set it down to display but I keep picking it up. It's so much fun to play with.

Right on...I guess I'm just used to SF customs. My 3 from AmiAmi were a day behind CDJapan and arrived here on Tuesday when they went through SF.

LA sucks, it's another reason why I only want to ship by Fed Ex. They completely bypass LA customs.

Check out this tutorial I made for painting small figures. This is for a 1/60 but it should work.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.925083977551880.1073741850.474949502565332&type=3

Hi Exo,

Regarding acrylic paints for figures, would you think that Winsor & Newton Artists Acrylic would work?

Thanx.

Hey Arbit. I'm not sure since I've only used those on canvas many years ago. But since you're using it on a small figure and it's acrylic, I say try it out. Acrylic is pretty easy to remove. The important thing is to get a good base/primer to have the paint stick to and will stick to the plastic first. I wouldn't use a medium made for canvas for that. You need something specific to plastic or resin or even metal. Depending on what you are painting.

Yeah since the hatch can be opened and the cockpit is detailed I want to see if I can put a figure in the Regult AND Glaug. I just looked up that the little figure I have is from a line called Starcom.

Edited by sh9000

Hey Arbit. I'm not sure since I've only used those on canvas many years ago. But since you're using it on a small figure and it's acrylic, I say try it out. Acrylic is pretty easy to remove. The important thing is to get a good base/primer to have the paint stick to and will stick to the plastic first. I wouldn't use a medium made for canvas for that. You need something specific to plastic or resin or even metal. Depending on what you are painting.

Thanks Exo,

I'm just trying to track down an affordable set of paints that will work for figures.

Any recommendations?

I don't think there's any way to fit an average 1/100 Zentradi pilot inside the HM-R Regult, even if you were to remove all the handles and internal details. When John Moscato began sculpting a Regult model kit in 1/72 scale, he discovered that the Regult's official dimensions left no room for an actual Zentradi pilot. And yes, he was was already aware that the Regult's cockpit is supposed be ridiculously cramped. But even so, the official dimensions still wouldn't allow for the most confined cockpit possible.

John Moscato's solution was to use a scale he called "Logical Scale." Logical Scale was based upon the size of the vehicle's pilot, not the vehicle's official dimensions. In other words, in order to fit an actual 1/72 Zentradi pilot, Moscato increased the size of the Regult beyond its official dimensions, in order to accomodate a pilot. In order to fit an average 1/72 pilot, he had to scale up his Regult to, approximately, an enormous 1/57 scale! Attached below are pictures of the finished result.

As you can see, even with the Regult scaled up to approximately 1/57 scale, the 1/72 pilot can barely fit inside. Though, this faithfully replicates Kawamori's original intent that piloting a Regult must've been an unenviable job.

I remember John Moscato commenting that he didn't really mind making the Regult larger than what the official numbers dictate. His rationale was that its larger size would make a Regult encounter more terrifying for a VF-1 opponent, which emphasizes the the point that the Zentradi are supposed to be a galactic menace.

Both photos are © cool8or

Zentradi Soldier and Regult assembled and painted by cool8or

Zentradi Soldier and Regult sculpted by John Moscato

post-221-0-77508200-1457189868_thumb.jpg

post-221-0-80257300-1457189878_thumb.jpg

The Zentrans and Meltrans were biologically engineered to do whatever job the Protoculture needed from them....thus the wide range of sizes, colors, and flavors... You don't modify the mecha to fit the soldier...you modify the soldier to fit the mecha....

With that said, we would just need a figure that fits the cockpit of the HMR Regult and it would have worked if Bandai had not built the details inside of it in a scale that doesn't match the rest of the Regult...

it's like the Regult is 1/100 but the cockpit details are 1/72....in a way it is Bandai's nod to anime magic! ^_^

Edited by jvmacross

Just curious, was there an official future release list for what they are doing in this line beyond what has been announced so far? I have been going through this thread to find that but that is a tall order given 130+ pages....

I assume a Spartan, M&M Valks and there was a pic of a Nousjadeul-Ger but not sure if that was official or no?

Edited by Petrov27