Hi-Metal R

joppewo

The connector piece for the backpack is hinged at both ends. My Armored VF-1J has no problems with the backpack and there shouldn't be any if it's transformed correctly.

jenius is right from his earlier review and the gimmick is the same on the HMR line.

Jenius said it is a "gimmick" that "locks" it in place. Are you sure the "gimmick" is just a double-hinge? That doesn't sound like a gimmick, it sounds like every other valk toy except maybe the 1/55.

I have the old Focker Strike 1S, the old Hikaru 1J and the new GBP. Yes, they have double hinges, but none of them "lock". They stay in place due to friction alone, and some more than others. The GBP is the worst.

Just got my VF-1S in today. It's my first Hi-Metal toy and I have to say I'm not impressed with it. I am actually really disappointed because this is a figure that I have been looking forward to for the longest time especially after seeing it on display in Tokyo. In the end, I'm just like 'meh'.

Maybe we have all been spoiled by Yamato/Arcadia...

Pros:
Sculpt - Whether it's accurate to the line art or not is debatable but I really love the sculpt. Personally I think it's the best out there.

Poseability and Playability - Wow! First time I am seeing extendable hip joints so you can spread the leg more! Also really dig the size.

Cons:
Box: Maybe it's not entirely a con but I was expecting a box like the first releases with opening flaps and magnets. But nope, nothing like that here...

Swappable Parts: This is by far the biggest problem for me. No built in landing gears (which is just silly) and you have to swap out the canopy with the heatshield to transform into robot mode. That really affects the playability.

Hi-Metal -??? Why is it called Hi-Metal? Isn't that false advertising? Lo-Metal would be a more appropriate name wouldn't it?

In conclusion, I feel Bandai is trying too hard on this valk. I mean, what's up with all the swappable wings? Is it really necessary? And with all the swappable parts it just feels like a half-arsed effort by Bandai.

Now, what am I going to do with the extra piece I have on order...?

What a piece of crap.

Edited by QEssential

Snaps [HI-METAL R]【 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie】(一条輝機) feat 1:100

For Gundam, I prefer 1:144 smaller stuff... & so does Macross! Look forward to this promising line from Bandai!

2015-11-30-22.13.jpg

vs 1:100 Gundam stuff

2015-11-30-22.jpg

2015-11-30-22.22.jpg

I wonder if the Moster is really 1:100? so small...

2015-11-30-22.44.jpg[/color][/align]

I think I'm going to display my VF-1J in Gerwalk mode as well. For some reason I don't display anything in Gerwalk. Not sure why I don't. I like all 3 modes just fine. But seeing pics of it with armor looks really good to me.

Edited by sharky

Swappable Parts: This is by far the biggest problem for me. No built in landing gears (which is just silly) and you have to swap out the canopy with the heatshield to transform into robot mode. That really affects the playability.

And you didn't know this before you bought it? This is a well-known aspect of the toy.

Let's think about this for a second. It's a 1/100 scale toy that retails for less than $100. I think it's pretty reasonable that the landing gears and heat shield are not integrated parts. If those parts were also integrated, it would either

1) require a larger scale to implement successfully

2) be a durability nightmare with the number of small moving parts involved

3) be a lot more expensive in order to pay for the additional complexity of manufacturing.

Given the scale and price, I think these were reasonable compromises.

And you didn't know this before you bought it? This is a well-known aspect of the toy.

Let's think about this for a second. It's a 1/100 scale toy that retails for less than $100. I think it's pretty reasonable that the landing gears and heat shield are not integrated parts. If those parts were also integrated, it would either

1) require a larger scale to implement successfully

2) be a durability nightmare with the number of small moving parts involved

3) be a lot more expensive in order to pay for the additional complexity of manufacturing.

Given the scale and price, I think these were reasonable compromises.

Yes, I did know they were swappable parts but I didn't expect it to bother me so much.

Let me explain. Given the size of the toy I figured it would make a perfect 'take out' toy like one you can bring to the office and such. But because of the swappable parts that means having to take a bag of accessories with you too. Not cool.

I just wished they had given us an option of transforming the toy in to robot mode without the removal of the canopy e.g. using the canopy as a quasi heatshield like in the banprestos or the revoltechs.

Yes, I see your point with a compromise between cost and practicalities of transformation but I just feel there can still be better room for a compromise.

Regarding cost: I had to pay a premium for this toy because apparently Bandai have been erratic is delivering their orders. Local toy store owners have said they have been undersupplied. One shop ordered 20 but Bandai only delivered 3.

Yes, I did know they were swappable parts but I didn't expect it to bother me so much.

Let me explain. Given the size of the toy I figured it would make a perfect 'take out' toy like one you can bring to the office and such. But because of the swappable parts that means having to take a bag of accessories with you too. Not cool.

I just wished they had given us an option of transforming the toy in to robot mode without the removal of the canopy e.g. using the canopy as a quasi heatshield like in the banprestos or the revoltechs.

Yes, I see your point with a compromise between cost and practicalities of transformation but I just feel there can still be better room for a compromise.

Regarding cost: I had to pay a premium for this toy because apparently Bandai have been erratic is delivering their orders. Local toy store owners have said they have been undersupplied. One shop ordered 20 but Bandai only delivered 3.

With respect to the heat shield -- I think you can still transform it without swapping out the standard canopy. The chest piece just doesn't lock into place as firmly as it would with the heat shield. I remember seeing some pictures here on the forum where someone did that with the first Hi-Metal release. I'm assuming it would work just as well with the HMR.

As for landing gears, I just don't see how they could have reasonably included them as integrated parts on this small of a scale. Could it be pulled off, sure. But it would require small parts that would easily be broken. Then people would complain about the lousy build quality. Never mind trying to use your fingers to pry open the landing gear doors or pull them out.

The original Bandai 1/100's from the late 80's had integrated landing gear. granted they were a bit crude but they got the job done and you didn't have to carry heat shield and landing gear around... the gun pod didn't mount in fighter mode though. :/

For the record, I would prefer crude landing gear and a simple rotating 2 sided canopy like the original joke machines from the 80's Those two things would make the HMR's perfect IMO

I don't think you can do a front landing gear and a rotating canopy. Also, not sure how easy rear landing gears would be if accommodating the gun in fighter.

To the post with the pictures above, Bandai's monster is not 1/100, it's a robot spirits release so like 1/125, I can't recall.

Edited by jenius

I honestly think the heat shield swap is a small sacrifice for such a good looking battroid, but some landing gear would be nice. Gonna get a stand for fighter mode and maybe mod an attachment box for hands and canopy/heat shield or stand attachments. That way the parts won't be away from the figure itself.

The heat shield is the one thing that does bother me but I really don't see how they can do it without sacrificing the integrity of the other parts. But that's the only part that I have to switch when I transform. Honestly, I don't take the rest of that stuff out. I have the larger toys for landing gears and missiles and I just use a stand when I want to display in fighter. I even keep the same hands on there indefinitely. But I do see why people complain... we have been spoiled. I'm sure my gripes about other valks are due to being spoiled. I don't even post in the VF-2SS thread anymore, don't get me started! :lol:

I honestly think the heat shield swap is a small sacrifice for such a good looking battroid, but some landing gear would be nice. Gonna get a stand for fighter mode and maybe mod an attachment box for hands and canopy/heat shield or stand attachments. That way the parts won't be away from the figure itself.

Oh man, that's going to totally be a Tamashii exclusive now. .. HMR Box for all these little parts we keep giving you!

@Gundam@EFSF Great shots!

I just paid for mine, but now I am having second thoughts about it.

Not sure what it is about it, maybe that will change once I have it in hand.

Honestly I've felt like that since jump and have been willing to give this line a chance, mostly because I like toys and I like Macross.

I did order the GBP and two of the Hikaru Strike VF-1S's. I will open one and depending on my mileage I will either keep them all, or promptly update my For Sale Thread with three new items.

-b.

I like the HMR toys for what they are, small, detailed, well designed, little toys.

But I don't like the price. Or the stupid availability. Or lack thereof, I should say. I wanted a Roy version and totally missed it.

As for price, they cost close to $150 Aussie dollars. That just seems too steep, given the size and build quality.

I suppose a fully dressed Arcadia would be double that, though...

Edited by mickyg

The original Bandai 1/100's from the late 80's had integrated landing gear. granted they were a bit crude but they got the job done and you didn't have to carry heat shield and landing gear around... the gun pod didn't mount in fighter mode though. :/

For the record, I would prefer crude landing gear and a simple rotating 2 sided canopy like the original joke machines from the 80's Those two things would make the HMR's perfect IMO

Integrated landing gear are not beyond the realm of possibilities on a 1/100 scale toy. The issue is whether they can be incorporated in a manner that doesn't make them more trouble than they are worth. The 1/100 Bandai toys didn't mount a gunpod, so they could afford to have small, stubby landing gears. With a mounting gunpod, you need longer landing gears to provide adequate clearance. Also, while the HMR toys are small, they are fairly detailed and realistic for their size. It would difficult to include integrated landing gears that match the level of detail of the rest of the toy without making the toy needlessly more complicated or expensive. Are you willing to settle for something like this?

$_35.JPG

Honestly I've felt like that since jump and have been willing to give this line a chance, mostly because I like toys and I like Macross.

I did order the GBP and two of the Hikaru Strike VF-1S's. I will open one and depending on my mileage I will either keep them all, or promptly update my For Sale Thread with three new items.

-b.

Like you I gave it a chance because its Macross, I knew its not going to match up to the 1/60s from Yamato/Arcadia, but they are superior to the Revoltech offerings IMHO. My main plan for this was a desk piece, so I only ordered 1. I haven't gotten the HMR VF-1J +GBP though. Once I have it in hand, I am pretty sure I will keep it. ;) I'll need something that is the same scale to the Regult, and Glaug. :p

I like the HMR toys for what they are, small, detailed, well designed, little toys.

But I don't like the price. Or the stupid availability. Or lack thereof, I should say. I wanted a Roy version and totally missed it.

As for price, they are costing me close to $150 Aussie dollars and that just seems too steap, given the size and build quality.

I suppose a fully dressed Arkadia would be double that, though...

Good to know mickyg.

Wow, that is a pretty steep price. :blink:

Aussie dollar has slipped below 75 cents to the US dollar. It's bad, bad, bad. Hasn't been this low since I moved here in 2003.

It just means I have to be very selective about what I spend my money on. Luckily the Yen is remaining pretty close to the AUD right now so it's not all bad. I think it's 88 at the moment.

So for NY's 10,120 yen, that makes it about 114 AUD. Plus shipping...

I just have to keep reminding myself it's got all the parts with it. Gone are the days of getting a Yamato bundle for less than 100. It is, what it is.

Edited by mickyg

Well damn, nobody has put the Hikaru 1S back up and I REALLY don't feel like paying NY's mark up price. If anyone's not happy with theirs, or if you've got an extra you're looking to move, PM me. I'm baffled by how many people got multiples, I thought everyone had their pre-order limits set to one? Geez, as if it's not already difficult enough to lock down even one of these Hi-Metal releases.

Thanks for the link, Old Man. I didn't realise it was due for release in April. Maybe there will be others listed up at release time from places like HLJ. Will have to keep that in mind.

Guest davidwhangchoi

hy would it matter to you since you never open anything anyways ? ;D it has purty box art

haha very true... just an inside joke since i give my pre-order to EXO

i got a roy on order and will prob open him when the regults come.

Well damn, nobody has put the Hikaru 1S back up and I REALLY don't feel like paying NY's mark up price. If anyone's not happy with theirs, or if you've got an extra you're looking to move, PM me. I'm baffled by how many people got multiples, I thought everyone had their pre-order limits set to one? Geez, as if it's not already difficult enough to lock down even one of these Hi-Metal releases.

Hlj limited to 1 per customer so you just order 1 . But other websites had it on preorder too , so you can preorder from them too .

The demand for these probably increased after the announcement of their future releases. Army building , lol.

They were officially released on the 28th . People the preorder them should gotten the payment request , some website give you 3 days to pay and some give you 7 days . If anyone of them ended up no paying on time , then you should see it get relisted on their website . But they might go quick . The armored Vf-j seems to have gotten a extra batch from bandai since many stores relisted them. Some lasted for days . So maybe they will have the extra batch for this Vf-1s too .

Hlj limited to 1 per customer so you just order 1 . But other websites had it on preorder too , so you can preorder from them too .

The demand for these probably increased after the announcement of their future releases. Army building , lol.

They were officially released on the 28th . People the preorder them should gotten the payment request , some website give you 3 days to pay and some give you 7 days . If anyone of them ended up no paying on time , then you should see it get relisted on their website . But they might go quick . The armored Vf-j seems to have gotten a extra batch from bandai since many stores relisted them. Some lasted for days . So maybe they will have the extra batch for this Vf-1s too .

I'm hoping so, I really want one despite it not matching up with my Regults when I get them. For how much people hate on and complain about the Hi-Metal valks, they sure do seem to sell pretty well :). Totally spaced on AmiAmi and other sites allowing you to buy multiples, despite me having 3 Regults on lock at AmiAmi itself...

Edited by Tking22

Seems like a lot of peeps expect early 2000's yamato pricing for mad playability which is just not feasible (like, no wonder they went out if business haha?)

It's a tiny toy that sacrifices some accuracy for simplicity by using swappable parts. When battroid mode is like 10cm tall what do people expect?

These things have been out since 2010 and the only real change is the nosecone tip popping off, new vf-1s head and some parts now being metal (shoulder parts)

Honestly dont get why peeps so upset about stuff that's been known for like 5 years.

With respect to the heat shield -- I think you can still transform it without swapping out the standard canopy. The chest piece just doesn't lock into place as firmly as it would with the heat shield. I remember seeing some pictures here on the forum where someone did that with the first Hi-Metal release. I'm assuming it would work just as well with the HMR.

As for landing gears, I just don't see how they could have reasonably included them as integrated parts on this small of a scale. Could it be pulled off, sure. But it would require small parts that would easily be broken. Then people would complain about the lousy build quality. Never mind trying to use your fingers to pry open the landing gear doors or pull them out.

Yes you can transform them without swapping out the standard canopy but it looks hell weird with the transparent plastic. If they had made another all black or translucent canopy like the Banprestos or Revoltechs, I would be happy with that. :)

As it stands >>> no way!

Aussie dollar has slipped below 75 cents to the US dollar. It's bad, bad, bad. Hasn't been this low since I moved here in 2003.

It just means I have to be very selective about what I spend my money on. Luckily the Yen is remaining pretty close to the AUD right now so it's not all bad. I think it's 88 at the moment.

So for NY's 10,120 yen, that makes it about 114 AUD. Plus shipping...

I just have to keep reminding myself it's got all the parts with it. Gone are the days of getting a Yamato bundle for less than 100. It is, what it is.

I feel ya mate!

I might sell mine soon. Also try looking at JP Auctions. Defo cheaper than what other web stores want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we certainly have been spoiled by Yamato. God bless them! Hope they have not lost the Macross license!!! With this I have come to appreciate Yamato/Arcadia in new light.

Also you have to ask yourself: Is this VF-1S Hi-Metal a toy or a collectors display piece? As it stands for me right now, its more of a display piece than a toy because toys are meant to be played with and with this many swap out parts it just ruins the play experience for me. As such I would rather have a crude canopy and landing gear system than none at all.

Heck, this piece really reminds me of a mildly upgraded Toynami 1/100.