Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Thumbing through some old SDFM era anime mags and found these pics.....after all these years there's still no better way to market your products than via a huge diorama!!!

awesome pics, thanks! a showcase display really catches attention and illustrates what a potential buyer could achieve! maybe i'm old-fashioned but, seeing something in 3d, maybe even inspecting it in person is much more appealing to me than looking at product photos, even ones that are at par with saburo's pics.

Same display, different tradeshow....yawn. How about a date already? :/

yeah, and prices! even a rough estimate of the range would be nice to know at this point. i'm not even sure if i want to throw money at another set of toys in a different scale...

Still the old fighters, I guess. That profile shot still looks like the originals. I'd like to know more about the Regults and Monster.

i'm not sure but i'm guessing that they're the old arii 1/100 model kits?

Good to know that the line is not dead. Fingers crossed for a Micheal VF-25 reissue before they change over to HI-Metal R.

I am preferring this Armored Valkyrie over Arcadia's one.

Do you guys actually think the Monster is to scale at 1/100 in the display or is it a little bit smaller?

Yeah, they should ditch the stupid name entirely since it is misleading. People tend to think "Hi" means "a lot" and this line has very little metal. It's not like the "hi-metal" line was a huge hit and they need the association so I question the logic of dragging the name back out.

I still don't understand the obsession with metal. Is it an american thing or an older toy collecter thing or what? I mean yeah, the name is kind of misleading but it's an english name from a japanese company so...that's the mystery solved right there as far as I'm concerned. And I don't think that many people will care about the name, especially the only market Bandai cares about (which certainly isn't us).

I *super* want the M&M valks and a generic 1A. I can take or leave the Spartan and Monster, but I'm all over a Phalanx if they put one out. If they were at an event this recently then it's good that Bandai hasn't forgotten them but it's more than a little annoying we still have no details about them.

I absolutely think the "hi-metal" name was meant as an association with the glory days of chunky monkeys and a way to get away from the poisonous "vf100" name. I don't know how the Japanese audience feels about it but I can't imagine they feel that differently, it's not like "Hi-metal" is coincidentally Japanese for something other than "Hi-metal". At the end of the day, it's not a big deal, I just think it's a silly choice to make it "Hi Metal R" instead of calling it something like "R Series" or even "HMR Series". I agree that not having metal isn't really a bad thing so I don't think they'd be punished for dropping it from the name.

After all the bad experiences I've had with the assorted Bandai valks having paint flake off their die-cast content, I really prefer if they just drop metal entirely, except for if it's the unpainted portions of joints that we never need to look at anyway.

Well at least the good news is that that is exactly what the Hi-Metal line is. I think the only metal on the VF-1 was all unpainted, including the feet.

Those VF-1 leg-to-body joints still look a little wonky. Anyone have the older hi-metal and can speak to whether they are durable and look okay in real life?

These look good due to the availability of some enemies and some non-standard stuff.

I absolutely think the "hi-metal" name was meant as an association with the glory days of chunky monkeys and a way to get away from the poisonous "vf100" name. I don't know how the Japanese audience feels about it but I can't imagine they feel that differently, it's not like "Hi-metal" is coincidentally Japanese for something other than "Hi-metal". At the end of the day, it's not a big deal, I just think it's a silly choice to make it "Hi Metal R" instead of calling it something like "R Series" or even "HMR Series". I agree that not having metal isn't really a bad thing so I don't think they'd be punished for dropping it from the name.

Why aren't they just calling it Robot Spirits? Isn't that what these are?

Why aren't they just calling it Robot Spirits? Isn't that what these are?

Yeah, it would make more sense to put it under the established Robot Spirits line.

Just to note - right after "Hi-Metal R" , there's also the word <ä»®> (which means temporary or provisional) next to it. I don't think they'll change it but I suppose it could.

Those VF-1 leg-to-body joints still look a little wonky. Anyone have the older hi-metal and can speak to whether they are durable and look okay in real life?

These look good due to the availability of some enemies and some non-standard stuff.

If you're referring to the hip joints -- they are set apart a little wider than the hips of the Yamato v2, but they also have a greater range of motion. I've had no problems with the hips in the three Hi-Metals I own. Although they are ball joints, the hips have stayed nice and tight.

Kind of reminds me how Matchbox SkyBusters (the planes) of today are advertised as "Diecast Metal" even though the only metal no are the two screws that keep the plastic together. I remember when those were all metal and the only plastic was the wheels. I thought the M7 Hi-metals had more metal. I never bought those as I am not a huge fan of M7.

Negative, the M7 Hi-Metals were similarly lacking. There's a hinge or two but nothing of any external significance that's metal. I'd say, by virtue of the metal feet, the VF-1 has more metal.

Edit, just looked at mine, there's a fair amount of metal in the foot of the M7 toy connected to the ball joint and extension mechanism and a metal hinge related to how the torso flips up and around, anything beyond that must be very minor.

Edited by jenius

For those of you who are wanting to know more about the original Hi-Metal VF-19 toys, I just updated my post with an HD transformation guide and an HD video review along with lots of content about the Blazer Valk (I broke down and bought one on mega clearance).

Bandai-Hi-Metal-VF-19S-3.jpg

Edited by jenius

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! I am such a HUGE fan of any armored VFs.

10500 yen, that is still cheaper than a regular DX Chogokin.

But seriously, proportion wise this beats the Yamato's one any day.

So this means after the August VF-27, Bandai will be transitioning to VF-Hi Metal as their Macross line. I am still hoping for a Michael VF-25 reissue though. I am not sure whether a reissue eats up the entire slot for the monthly Macross placeholder, given that Macross toys only come one at a time, unlike Robot Damashii.

I also need to get SOC Gunbuster.

Bandai is getting my money every month.

There is also a reissue of SRC Shin Getter 1 due for Sept but I already got one from anime export for 20% few weeks ago.

Edited by calubin_175