3P SD VF-1S

skullmilitia

Yeah. They'll use cheaper plastic and crumbling rubbery parts to keep the quality consistent. But don't worry prices will be the same or more. Hey that's why you agree to distribution right?

That's pretty much what I expect. It's like they saw a poor toy and thought, "Hey, that's almost as bad as our regular in-house stuff. With minimal effort and expense we should be able to bring it down to par."

Edited by eriku

After reading the dismal reviews and seeing the stagnant sales for these unlicensed SD VF.1's, I thought that we'd seen the last of these toys. Leave it to Toynami to try to turn junk into cash. What Cannon Films was to Robotech movies, Toynami is to Robotech toys. When Toynami saw these crappy toys, they probably said (in a thick accent) "Now dees is a Toynami toy!" :wub:

Maybe HG threatened to sue and then confiscated all of the i-robots/fanmaketoys stock on the grounds of IP infringement and will now get to sell these in the US without spending a dime in development and manufacturing costs...wonder if HG sued fanmaketoys, then they offloaded their stock to i-robots....and now i-robots gets screwed by either handing over their stock to HG or selling it all at a loss due to some legal action.....

The worst thing that could come about from this is we never see another HK 3P Macross product again.....what ever happened to the SD stuff that was teased by the 3P company that made the Makurosu??? Maybe they were able to sell all of their Makurosi before HG was able to get to them.

It's pretty difficult to enforce a lawsuit across country lines...unless you want to invest a lot of resources in lawyers. It'd probably cost more than HG would stand to gain. The simplest answer is that Toynami bought a bunch of the SD VF1s and shipped 'em over.

Yeah, the simplest explanation is usually the most likely. Toynami probably surmised that this Unlicensed Third Party was sitting on a mountain of unsold stock and offered them a pittance for it. Or, if Toynami was feeling respectable, worked out a distribution agreement so that they could collect a licensing fee and royalties off these toys.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Well, cease and desist letters shutdown all major importers of Macross goods in the US....I still remember the big BBTS Macross sell-off.....maybe similar letters were sent to these 3P companies and it was enough to spook them....such letters would not cost HG that much, but the benefits would be great if they got HG what they wanted (cheap sale of remaining stock or straight-up confiscation) ....

But really, who cares....the stuff's garbage and it'll just further tarnish the "Robotech" brand....assuming there is any shine left! :rolleyes:

The real concern is the effect on future 3P Macross products....hopefully, outfits like the one that released the Makurosu, don't see Fanmaketoys' failure as a sign that there is no market for 3P Macross items...

Edited by jvmacross

• 4 months later...

Its back in full force. :D suppose better QC and some new changes.

post-2743-0-86484500-1472969594_thumb.jpg

It's under KitzConcept and is for preorder at Robotech.com for $70

http://www.therobotechstore.com/products/super-deformed-vf-1s

more info on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/kitzconcept/

pic review up on Kuma style

http://kumastyledesigns.com/kitzconcept-vf1s-review/

post-2743-0-98303700-1472969962_thumb.jpg

video review also

https://youtu.be/SvkWGNm9ZBI

sorry to say that the fighter & gerwalk looks plain garbage...everything just doesnt look right on these 2 modes.

battroid is acceptable, but not that its the best.

overall there is potential if the mechanisms are maintained while the designs/looks are tweaked.

Its back in full force. :D suppose better QC and some new changes.

attachicon.gif14199759_10154064729798285_1916374310602624194_n.jpg

Loads of garbage.

It's under KitzConcept and is for preorder at Robotech.com for $70

http://www.therobotechstore.com/products/super-deformed-vf-1s

$70 garbage.

more info on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/kitzconcept/

Garbage on Facebook.

Pics of garbage.

video review also

Video of garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Harmony Gold sanctioned release is indeed improved. The joints are all tight on mine, it holds together better overall and it looks nice for the most part. The paint seems a bit amateurish and sloppy and even slightly tacky. The pegs holding the torso together are very tight and already have stress marks.

Overall it's better but still has a kind of unrefined slight garage kit funk to it that inspires a small amount of buyers remorse.

You left off the most important part.

I like it enough to keep it but not enough to recommend it.

I saved money by not buying this and used the money for a HMR VF-1J Milia.

Edited by sh9000

After spending a little more time with it I'm liking it more. The old one was such a let down that it's hard to shake the ghost of that old disappointment. It's also hard to look at something honestly when there is that long-standing resentment and distrust of Harmony Gold. But in the end I have a soft spot for SD Macros's toys which allows me to love things like the SDi VF25 even though that thing doesn't hold together well in battroid.

So yeah, I actually would recommend this to anyone who likes SD Macross toys. Make sure it's this newest version though because I definitely would not recommend the FansMakeToys release.

So yeah, I actually would recommend this to anyone who likes SD Macross toys. Make sure it's this newest version though because I definitely would not recommend the FansMakeToys release.

Thanks for the quick overview and insight on the figure, eriku!

There's certainly a lack of modern SD valkerie figures... especially those with features like LED lighting! It's just sad and unfortunate that this had to be a Robotech (and therefore HG) licensed.

Like a few others here, I may pick this up when it goes on sale/clearance later. Otherwise, I'm hoping Bandai considers doing a few SD figures again soon. I too really liked their SDi VF-25. ^_^

I mentioned the paint being tacky, I think it may have been from the wash they did for the panel lines or maybe something with the clear coat? (I'm not a paint guy). Anyway, I wiped the whole thing down with a warm damp towel and that tackiness is now gone.

One thing I really like about this is the size (bigger than a Joke Machine). Fingers crossed for a Legioss in the same size and style.

Thanks for the quick overview and insight on the figure, eriku!

There's certainly a lack of modern SD valkerie figures... especially those with features like LED lighting! I'm hoping Bandai considers doing a few SD figures again soon. I too really liked their SDi VF-25. ^_^

I love the SDi VF25. I'm really hoping Bandai does something similar for Delta.

I want to like this. I really really do. I happen to be a fan of SD stuffs. I own a VF-1A joke machine and 2 of the matchbox veritechs. I love all 3 of 'em. Just something about this design doesn't do it for me. They should have saved their money engineering and brought back the original joke machines. Or heck reach out to Rohby and make his design. Those were incredible

Edited by edstuff

watching the video review... IDK, I think it looks really slick for an SD figure and certainly better than the old floppy joke machine I have (that's missing an arm). I wouldn't spend $80 on it, but I'd drop $40 easily. Other than because of the price point I don't get why anyone would compare it to a non-SD figure though. Apples to Oranges. It of course won't be perfect. Is it better than any other available super deformed? At first glance I'd say yes.

One of the pics in this thread made me laugh though. That top down pic of it in the black packing tray reminded me of the Anvil Aerospace F7C Hornet with the backpack sticking out so far

t3mBJ1Y.jpg