VF-1 Atmospheric-Escape Booster

Pazu

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted here. Actually been a while since I did much modeling. Anyway, I'm sure this is a subject familiar to most here. The VF-1 Atmospheric-Escape Booster.

We of course had the John Moscato version and that was the only game in town. I think that was a great kit but I wanted to try recreate it. This is where I am at so far.

What do you think? Would you be interested in this kit? Thanks!

booster1.jpg
booster2.jpg
booster3.jpg
booster4.jpg
booster5.jpg
Edited by Pazu

@Valkyrie, 1/60? How about 1/48? B))

20140528_085833.jpg

@PetarB, Oh I have seen your completed model of the Booster. In fact, I pretty much dig thru all photos that I can find thru Google and yours was amongst those I saved on my PC for reference. Actually, with only 2 lineart in existence, who is to which model is more correct? I recently found Moscato's original build log (after I finished mine!!) and he himself said that the linearts themselves contradict each other.

I certainly think that his looks a lot bigger than mine but mine have a more correct shape? Who knows really. :huh:

I think it really depends on what Pazu is up to:

1) if only building the kit, 1/72 or 1/48: I think both could be feasible with 1/72 being more salable

2) if Pazu can build and paint the kits, then doing a 1/60 version for Yamatos/Arcadias would be highly salable because most of us buy the 1/60 already painted VF1s. And if most of us are like me, we have no skills to paint the kit.

EDIT:

If I was asked, I would vote for a 1/60 painted & assembled Atmospheric Booster + arm acting like a display stand. And if ever this kit is successfull enough why not doing the Vehicule as an Addon to this kit !

(3D printing is such an incredible tool!)

I would be in for such a kit depending of the price of course.

Edited by Xigfrid

I think it really depends on what Pazu is up to:

1) if only building the kit, 1/72 or 1/48: I think both could be feasible with 1/72 being more salable

2) if Pazu can build and paint the kits, then doing a 1/60 version for Yamatos/Arcadias would be highly salable because most of us buy the 1/60 already painted VF1s. And if most of us are like me, we have no skills to paint the kit.

EDIT:

If I was asked, I would vote for a 1/60 painted & assembled Atmospheric Booster + arm acting like a display stand. And if ever this kit is successfull enough why not doing the Vehicule as an Addon to this kit !

(3D printing is such an incredible tool!)

I would be in for such a kit depending of the price of course.

That's certainly very interesting. I'm not too familiar with the Yamato scene but I can't imagine there would be more of those around than 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1? And they don't seem to be available anymore? Everywhere I looked, they are sold out. And ebay has some really killer price. LOL.

If I were to make and paint the 1/60 pieces, the price would surely be upwards of USD250.

Edited by Pazu

I think that there are much more 1/60 VF1s than 1/72. Just because 1/60 is highly collectible and ... transforms ! At least this is my feeling when I look back at the dozens of dozens airplane models I assembled and threw away but still having my first 1/60 transforming macross toys ;)

If you don't own one of these VF1, Arcadia is still editing these VF1, using the exact same molds that Yamato used. There are already a bunch of VF1 under Arcadia license: the 30th anniversary rainbow VF1J, Roy's and Ikaru's VF-1S, and next year there is the Ikaru VF-1J with the reactive armor coming. These VF1 are selling at 150-200 USD tag price, so an Atmostpheric launcher at 200+ is not shocking at all!

There are still great deals on VF1, your best bet to get one cheap (and don't mind the color) is to look for an "Arcadia VF-1J 30th edition" or one of the Yamato Unpaint VF-1A kit still out there (but Unpaint kits need assembly).