post-151-0-97922400-1415470537_thumb.jpg

Looks like Howard Stark will be battling ogres

post-151-0-67267100-1415470538_thumb.jpg

And Clancy Brown as the Destroyer? Do we have the return of the Kurgen???

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/07/warcraft-movie-panel-major-casting-announcements-first-look-art-/

THE ALLIANCE

Anduin Lothar (Travis Fimmel)

The lead protagonist for the Alliance, Lothar is a war hero who has sacrificed everything to keep the people of Azeroth safe.

King Llane Wrynn (Dominic Cooper)

King Llane is the leader of the Alliance city of Stormwind and a beacon of hope to its people in a time of darkness.

Medivh (Ben Foster)

Known as the Guardian, Medivh is a mysterious and reclusive protector who wields formidable power.

Khadgar (Ben Schnetzer)

Khadgar is a gifted young mage, embarking on a daring search for the truth.

Lady Taria (Ruth Negga)

Taria is the royal Queen of Stormwind, King Llanes great love and most trusted counsel.

Garona (Paula Patton)

Caught between the Alliance and the Horde, Garona is a strong-willed survivor who must decide where her true loyalty lies.

THE HORDE

Durotan (Toby Kebbel)

The lead protagonist for the Horde, Durotan is the noble Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan, battling to save his people and his family from extinction.

Orgrim (Rob Kazinsky)

Orgrim is Durotans right hand and a brave warrior destined to wield the Doomhammer: a weapon of orc legend.

Blackhand (Clancy Brown)

Known as The Destroyer, Blackhand is one of orc-kinds most fearsome and titanic warchiefs.

GulDan (Daniel Wu)

Guldan is a supreme orc ruler, fueled by a dark magic that even he cannot control.

• 1 month later...

This could reallly work well if it gets handled like the flashback battles from LoTR. When I saw the line up of soldiers it put me in mind of the second 300 movie, which was not something I want to see again.

Besides Ben Foster and Clancy I am not familiar with anyone. For that reason theres hope this won't be a prince of persia at blackrock spire.

Now if only games workshop would authorize a whfb movie. :)

Edited by modelglue

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice trailer. Look very LOTRish though.

Honestly though, Warcraft's story is so long and full of lore that I think only a TV series will do it justice, but I'm still hype for this one.

Are they making a trilogy? I'm out of touch with Warcraft related news. :ph34r:

one day there will be a trailer for the trailer b4 the actual trailer. :D

So, are we getting a movie within a movie as well? B))

Edited by Reaction Warhead

Nice trailer. Look very LOTRish though.

Honestly though, Warcraft's story is so long and full of lore that I think only a TV series will do it justice, but I'm still hype for this one.

Are they making a trilogy? I'm out of touch with Warcraft related news. :ph34r:

So, are we getting a movie within a movie as well? B))

depends if you take the red pill or the blue pill..

i dont think its a trilogy yet, hopefully they dont overdo and put everything into the first movie..warcraft has so much lore built up that its easily expandable with more movies.

The eye candy graphics look good to go, i think there is a high expectation there as blizzard fans have grown used to high quality in-game cutscenes..

I hope they do the overarching storyline well...time to read up on the lore again, i quit wow way back as i didnt have the time to do quests/raids! Even had to ask my WOW bud whats the name of the castle of the alliance....its STORMWIND!

depends if you take the red pill or the blue pill..

i dont think its a trilogy yet, hopefully they dont overdo and put everything into the first movie..warcraft has so much lore built up that its easily expandable with more movies.

The eye candy graphics look good to go, i think there is a high expectation there as blizzard fans have grown used to high quality in-game cutscenes..

I hope they do the overarching storyline well...time to read up on the lore again, i quit wow way back as i didnt have the time to do quests/raids! Even had to ask my WOW bud whats the name of the castle of the alliance....its STORMWIND!

I'm not getting the pill reference, so you'll have to fill me in on this one. :huh:

Not a trilogy? how are they going to end it? Unless they're going full AU or something. I guess they want to see if this one will make money first, before thinking making more.

Yeah, the CGI looks good (probably hire the same people who made LOTR :lol:)

And I expected high quality products with Blizzard, but not ActiveVision Blizzard. We shall see I guess. :unsure:

Yeah, I used to raid pretty hardcore back in Vanilla wow (MC/BWL/AQ/Naxx). My guild was like top2 server wise, but it just got to the point that it felt like a second job to me with the prep and raid time. So I become a casual raider then ultimately quit before World of Panda hit. :lol:

I'm not getting the pill reference, so you'll have to fill me in on this one. :huh:

Not a trilogy? how are they going to end it? Unless they're going full AU or something. I guess they want to see if this one will make money first, before thinking making more.

Yeah, the CGI looks good (probably hire the same people who made LOTR :lol:)

And I expected high quality products with Blizzard, but not ActiveVision Blizzard. We shall see I guess. :unsure:

Yeah, I used to raid pretty hardcore back in Vanilla wow (MC/BWL/AQ/Naxx). My guild was like top2 server wise, but it just got to the point that it felt like a second job to me with the prep and raid time. So I become a casual raider then ultimately quit before World of Panda hit. :lol:

post-15116-0-97520000-1446641251_thumb.jpg

In the matrix anything can happen, even movies within movies...wait that was inception too right? :p

Blizzard activision ahh.....i quit starcraft2 too cos they split the whole game experience into 3 releases, removed LAN, added region lock (not sure if it still is). Blizzard was never the same after activision came in.

Tried Heroes of the storm a lil but didnt quite HOLD my interest.

Hopefully the WARCRAFT movie would be up to expectations. I dont thk wingnut who did LOTR was involved in this one.

In fact it had quite a few issues in the early stages, and was scheduled to be released dec this year instead of 2016. Well, i guess they needed time off to watch TFA too! :D

Was never that into Warcraft...now if they made a Starcraft movie..NOW we're talking.

You going to have to wait after Starcraft 2 and World of Starcraft finishes before thinking about Starcraft movies.

attachicon.gifeb9acc3422a515aef8f8b1196bd0ee0b.jpg

In the matrix anything can happen, even movies within movies...wait that was inception too right? :p

Blizzard activision ahh.....i quit starcraft2 too cos they split the whole game experience into 3 releases, removed LAN, added region lock (not sure if it still is). Blizzard was never the same after activision came in.

Tried Heroes of the storm a lil but didnt quite HOLD my interest.

Hopefully the WARCRAFT movie would be up to expectations. I dont thk wingnut who did LOTR was involved in this one.

In fact it had quite a few issues in the early stages, and was scheduled to be released dec this year instead of 2016. Well, i guess they needed time off to watch TFA too! :D

Haha, no wonder the pill thing sounded familiar.

Yeah, I loved Starcraft, but I couldn't get into Starcraft 2. The whole story line in SC2 pretty disregarded a lot things that happened in SC. Raynor went from swearing he was going to kill Kerrigan for screwing over everybody and killed his best friend in SC, to I can't do it man I still love her in SC2. :rolleyes:

But yeah they removed a lot of online function where you can have fun with your friend, now you have to do it through Bnet for everything.

Tried Heroes of the Storm too. Got bored with it pretty quickly, not a lot of depth to the game play imo. It's all about late game fights, and if you lose one or two late game engagement that's usually game. Not sure if they did anything about that though.

There is a new Heroes of the Storm action figure line by Neca. They're looking pretty good so far. You might want to look into that if you like the characters. Arthas coming out this month whooo.

It's smart of them to push the movie back, no way they can compete with Star Wars...unless they got a death wish.

The CGI looks faithful to the RTS and MMO CGI which seemed to be their goal in the first place. I bet this will look even moar amazing in 3D but ultimately story is important too.

Well, the story is there already (The 1st War). What they need to figure out is how to execute it.

Edited by Reaction Warhead

I'm very curious how this goes, especially given that it's Duncan Jones directing. His 2009 film "Moon" was an excellent small budget sci-fi thriller. If they can make Warcraft work on the big screen, I'll be all for it. The world building in Warcraft was always one of the more fun aspects of the original RTS games and the MMO that later used the same Azeroth setting. Plus the design aesthetic for the art and environments from the video games is striking and unique, which I must say they did a very good job reproducing and maintianing for this movie, based on what we've been shown so far. It feels like Chris Metzen had at least some influence into the production design, or at the very least they did a great job of mimicing his design sensibilities. A few days ago they released some great character stills that show they are least have the visual look of the movie locked on a good direction for the source material.

I know odds are lousy that this film will be any good, but if it does turn out to be quality, that would be a real treat for an old fan like me. I hope it succeeds.

They did a fine job with the Orcs, but the CG-look on everything else just looks so fake. Even the real sets have a phony look about them. I don't see how people can get immersed in this stuff. I don't buy any of it. And I'm saying this as a fan of the franchise.

Edited by Duke Togo

Wow, there isn't a single scene from that entire trailer that didn't look unnatural or out of place. Either live action humans are in front of obvious rendered green screens or rendered characters are put on top of live backdrops and it all looks terrible. Entirely CG would have been the way to go.

Wow, there isn't a single scene from that entire trailer that didn't look unnatural or out of place. Either live action humans are in front of obvious rendered green screens or rendered characters are put on top of live backdrops and it all looks terrible. Entirely CG would have been the way to go.

agreed

It feels like something is "off" about the look of the movie. Compositing real actors into what appear to be full CGI scenes just isn't looking right. They did a great job on the goblins and orcs in the LOTR movies and those were mostly make-up effects. I can understand that a lot of computer graphics is needed to give the non-human characters human-like emotions, though. Also, the shot locations don't look real enough. Again, LOTR got it right by filming in exotic locations in NZ.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they updated the title to Warcraft: The Beginning. This movie could really good, the trailers makes it feel like it has heart which is typically lacking in Summer blockbuster films. The scenes of Durotan and his young son, Thrall, connects for me as as I'm a father with a young one too. That look he has of doing everything you can to ensure the future of your offspring... :wub:

Looks like they updated the title to Warcraft: The Beginning. This movie could really good, the trailers makes it feel like it has heart which is typically lacking in Summer blockbuster films. The scenes of Durotan and his young son, Thrall, connects for me as as I'm a father with a young one too. That look he has of doing everything you can to ensure the future of your offspring... :wub:

Planning sequels before it's even out...

• 2 weeks later...