Sign in to follow this  
jvmacross

More Macross DYRL promo relics....

Here are some more DYRL promo pieces....they are photos of what seem to be concepts for movie theater lobby cards...or perhaps they are mini lobby cards??.....or simply just propaganda sent to movie theater owners to drum up some excitement for the Macross DYRL film...

Some have the Toho logo and others do not....it is also interesting that they are all in black & white.....if anyone has any additional info....please feel free to share....

gallery_12176_640_132954.jpg

gallery_12176_640_127222.jpg

gallery_12176_640_33270.jpg

gallery_12176_640_166795.jpg

gallery_12176_640_95196.jpg

gallery_12176_640_41571.jpg

And here is a link to the actual full-sized DYRL lobby cards for comparison....http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37110

:)

The black-n-whites are probably like the black-n-white lobby cards you see in the US - just cheaper alternatives to color. The others are probably photos from presskits, provided for paste-up into print publications that would never be in color. Toho most certain used the studio marketing methods used by any other studio in the world at the time. So I expect those are analogous to marketing photography products used in the early 80s elsewhere in the world. I've got black & white lobby cards from various films that never had color versions of those same cards, and also unmarked black & white photography (or occasionally color transparancies) included in presskits for photoready publication use. They're not really made to be appealing to the viewer's eye in themselves. They're made for pasteup.

If they're physically smaller than typical examples, I would speculate that perhaps some were simply printed at half-size to save on materials & space expenses but still accomplish providing as many visual samples as possible for publication editors at a half-column size.

Look around for other samples from 1980s films, and just apply those terms.

Nice finds!

Edited by AcroRay

It almost looks like the setup for the program booklet. they appear to be samples that were used to piece the booklet together, and may have been printed in B&W for the sake of making inexpensive copies to those that were proofing. that's just my guess, but from what my wife does in graphics design would suggest that. this was also earlier 80s so I could be way off. If they are movie proofs for display, that's pretty cool as well. I can't read Japanese, so I'm just making a guess based on what I see.

The last two seem to be associated with some sort of screening for DYRL....and the rest are probably materials used in the promotion of the film and in the creation of the various promotional materials used for the film, as you have suggested.

gallery_12176_640_1724357.jpg

gallery_12176_640_521422.jpg

TOP:

MBS Television

Wednesday Cinema Night

Heisei 4 (1992), May 17th

BOTTOM:

MBS Television

Sunday Cinema Night

Heisei 6 (1994), September 25th

Bottom portion says that these can not be used for anything other than promoting the showing of the movie.

Edited by Jefuemon

TOP:

MBS Television

Wednesday Cinema Night

Heisei 4 (1992), May 17th

BOTTOM:

MBS Television

Sunday Cinema Night

Heisei 6 (1994), September 25th

Bottom portion says that these can not be used for anything other than promoting the showing of the movie.

Thanks for the translations!

And added a few more.....

gallery_12176_640_2749087.jpg

Headless Hikaru?

She's a man eater. Hahaha.

• Upvote 1