Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

Like everyone else, I'm curious to see how Bandai's 19 compares to Arcadia's. The YF-19 was the valk that led me into Macross; I knew of the VF-1, but more from Transformers Jetfire than from any Macross/Robotech association. Macross Plus still holds a place near and dear.

I have to echo Graham's sentiments concerning the VF-0D. It's a nice design, and I love the color scheme, but my excitement level is fairly low. A new SV-51 would grab my attention more, or a new improved YF-21 with better battroid proportions. Or one of the many valks never made into a wide release toy.

This release sounds exciting and I am happy with people who want more (or an alternative to arcadia's toy) but somehow I am not really feeling it. The robot mode looks pretty cool, but I never really could accept the idea that it would be a practical design to have giant booster thingies dangling off the hip kibble. It just doesn't seem right. It's a similar thing with the VF-30 where people complain about the missle rack hanging off the back making the robot seem weird. I get that feeling with the frontier tech used on the yf-19 design.

Also I still see the yf-19 as the special ops valk and that a 'clean' or naked design looks better than one with extra stuff on top of it.

For the VF-1 it is the opposite feeling: I much prefer a VF-1 with all the boosters especially in gerwalk mode and in robot mode the giant FAST pack looks like a backpack and doesn't really spoil the look of that mode.

As for VF-0D: it's one expensive valkyrie but I have already saved up my money so I am committed to buying it. I just wish arcadia would start adding more tampo printed stuff as I hate stickers/decals. In fact what I would like to see from arcadia is a premium release edition of everything they do:

features on preimium version

1. has more tampo printed details than the vanilla release.

2. packaged with mecha details (like a small artbook or tech specs sheet with lineart about that particular valk)

The vanilla release can be slightly cheaper with less tampo prints for those who want to customise the toy. You all got butt hurt that VF-17 was not show accurate because the cartoon had the UN SPACY markings. And you got pissed that the Koenig Monster had markings you might not have liked. By having two versions everyone can be happy,

I don't have the time to put on all the stickers but I would love to see all the prints on the toys.

Stickers are great, but in a limited capacity, i.e. different squadrons, tail numbers, and other specialized markings. The general markings like intake warnings, egress, no steps, etc should always be tampoed. I was disappointed that Arcadia didn't even tampo the intake warnings on the YF-19...those are requisite to just about every valk. In this regard, Bandai certainly has the upper hand.

Besides, in the clumsy hands of a novice such as myself, the application of stickers cheapens the look of one of these high grade toys. My hat's off to Master Cheng, and the other folks here who excel in this area. As for me, I'll take all the tampo you can give me.

Can't please everybody...I for one don't like "No Steps" so I'm glad they don't Tampo those. The only ones I want are Skull and squadron liveries, tail numbers, UN Spacy insignias, and what boat they're from (Prometheus, ARMD-01, etc).

I'm partial to 'no steps' and such, as they are legitimate markings on military aircraft. I know from firsthand experience, having worked on C-130s, B-1Bs, and KC-135s. To me, it adds that extra bit of realism, as long as the markings are sized correctly and not obtrusive.

But, to each his own. Still, intake markings, as an absolute minimum, should be tampoed on all these valks.

Edited by M'Kyuun

The "no step" bits would be better if Bandai tried to mimic how they actually go on aircraft, in terms of orientation, and location. They put all those nice markings on the leading edges of the YF-30's wings.. and completely forgot the main control surfaces.

They also love sticking them on backwards, upside down, or on the underside of things where no one would be walking to begin with.. I do suppose there's some benefit for zero-G environments, but that can only go so far. The RVF-171 has the "no steps" along the leading edges (top and bottom).. and more "171" logos all along the trailing control surfaces of both sides.

Edited by Chronocidal

The "no step" bits would be better if Bandai tried to mimic how they actually go on aircraft, in terms of orientation, and location. They put all those nice markings on the leading edges of the YF-30's wings.. and completely forgot the main control surfaces.

They also love sticking them on backwards, upside down, or on the underside of things where no one would be walking to begin with.. I do suppose there's some benefit for zero-G environments, but that can only go so far. The RVF-171 has the "no steps" along the leading edges (top and bottom).. and more "171" logos all along the trailing control surfaces of both sides.

To be fair, they were only copying the CG renders which had the same mistakes. I would blame the person/people that made the textures for the CG models and every person after who let that through all the way to production.

Can't please everybody...I for one don't like "No Steps" so I'm glad they don't Tampo those. The only ones I want are Skull and squadron liveries, tail numbers, UN Spacy insignias, and what boat they're from (Prometheus, ARMD-01, etc).

...and Arcadia doesn't even do that bare minimum!

I'm partial to 'no steps' and such, as they are legitimate markings on military aircraft. I know from firsthand experience, having worked on C-130s, B-1Bs, and KC-135s. To me, it adds that extra bit of realism, as long as the markings are sized correctly and not obtrusive.

But, to each his own. Still, intake markings, as an absolute minimum, should be tampoed on all these valks.

YES! So mad that the intake markings aren't even there on a $400 toy...

To be fair, they were only copying the CG renders which had the same mistakes. I would blame the person/people that made the textures for the CG models and every person after who let that through all the way to production.

QFT! Most likely the CAD monkeys in India/China didn't care or didn't have enough clout to say anything, or maybe didn't understand english - remember these guys that are shopped out to do VFX usually are not aircraft enthusiasts and are cheaply paid labour.

Comparing both the old Yamato Tampo for stuff like the red intake arrows to both decal versions and the tampo on the Bandai's reinforces why I dislike so much tampo. Small details are lost, or the tampo has to be a proportionate size larger than would fit the aircraft in order to show up. It wins up looking like an unsightly giant splotch where it doesn't need to be. I still don't like those gastly over-sized No Step tampo's on the 171 and 30.

Comparing both the old Yamato Tampo for stuff like the red intake arrows to both decal versions and the tampo on the Bandai's reinforces why I dislike so much tampo. Small details are lost, or the tampo has to be a proportionate size larger than would fit the aircraft in order to show up. It wins up looking like an unsightly giant splotch where it doesn't need to be. I still don't like those gastly over-sized No Step tampo's on the 171 and 30.

Tampo printing does not need to be oversized, in fact its amazing how small they can get - just look at the Gundam Fix Figuration toys, they are absolutely microscopic. The NO STEP are large because they actually are large in the artwork/CG textures - its not the fault of the tampo process (maybe the colour is a bit off, but that's chosen), its the fault of the designers of the mech.

Tampo printing does not need to be oversized, in fact its amazing how small they can get - just look at the Gundam Fix Figuration toys, they are absolutely microscopic. The NO STEP are large because they actually are large in the artwork/CG textures - its not the fault of the tampo process (maybe the colour is a bit off, but that's chosen), its the fault of the designers of the mech.

Does not explain the ugly, blotchy intake arrows on both the Bandai and Yamato Valks, however.

Well, its bad design of the artwork for the Yamato stuff (not the tampo process) and as far as Bandai goes, they just don't care about Macross as much as Gundam :p Because once you see the Bandai Gundam Fix Figuration stuff, you'd be amazed at what can be achieved with mechanical printing especially onto tiny irregularly curved surfaces - its just simply amazing. It's just too bad we don't get that kind of quality printing with our toys.

Well, its bad design of the artwork for the Yamato stuff (not the tampo process) and as far as Bandai goes, they just don't care about Macross as much as Gundam :p Because once you see the Bandai Gundam Fix Figuration stuff, you'd be amazed at what can be achieved with mechanical printing especially onto tiny irregularly curved surfaces - its just simply amazing. It's just too bad we don't get that kind of quality printing with our toys.

which is why Yamato before they whent bellyup should have gotten the license for Macross Frontier, with Yamato the leg joints would have been more accurate for the first release VF-25's, Bandai didn't care to get it right the first time as they wasted money tooling the molds for them.

Can't get a license that's not available. They would have had to sponsor a show. Speaking of which, it's very possible Bandai could lock out Arcadia of all things Macross depending on their sponsorship of the next show. They didn't last time but Arcadia doesn't have the sway with BW that Yamato did.

True, but Arcadia is Yamato's successor, and by virtue of that history, and maintaining a number of former Yamato people, have a proven track record for producing amazing Macross toys, QC and design quirks notwithstanding. That may be their saving grace, should Bandai try to crowd them out. Plus, I should think BW know that there is far more passion put into to Arcadia's projects, and that, too, may be meaningful.

Just because something is incorrect in the original CG doesnt give bandai a pas for copying it wrong :p:lol:

Really, I just get the impression that the people they hire to do this stuff have no personal interest or passion for what they do. They aren't hard things to fix, but it's like no one cares enough to speak up about them (or they're actively discouraged from such things, whichh culturally may be entirely true).

Thing is, it's like once Bandai does mess something up, they will cling to that error for literally decades, like it's some sort of trademark. :blink:

Just because something is incorrect in the original CG doesnt give bandai a pas for copying it wrong :p:lol:

Really, I just get the impression that the people they hire to do this stuff have no personal interest or passion for what they do. They aren't hard things to fix, but it's like no one cares enough to speak up about them (or they're actively discouraged from such things, whichh culturally may be entirely true).

You realize that what you're saying is highly illogical.

... I just get the impression that the people they hire to do this stuff have no personal interest or passion for what they do...

Isn't this true of most of the occupations out there? When was the last time you were at a gas station and the attendant was truely interested in gasoline? Its mostly about the paycheque. Very few lucky people are actually doing what they have a passion for in the world.

Edited by wm cheng

Indeed, I'm eagerly awaiting more details ^_^

And anyway, I guess dont take what I said too seriously. All I mean is that it's evident to me how much attention Yamato/Arcadia gives to the little details that aircraft enthusiasts appreciate. But in Bandai's case, it's like they're trying to cater to aircraft fans by imitating Arcadia, without realizing they should be looking directly at the actual source material: actual aircraft references.

They are getting better, but it just seems like they're not interested in being accurate, as long as it looks flashy and detailed. Slapping aircraft decals all over every panel and seam on a plane only goes so far before people who know something about aircraft will be going "you're doing it wrong." Bandai does that a lot.

Guest davidwhangchoi

That and/or a Fighter Mode pic would be divine (and yeah, there's an event on the 22nd, but c'mon Bandai).

-b.

yeah, fighter mode pics needed

We'll know more in 2 weeks.

Also BlueFin posted pictures of upcoming releases, and showcased the Monster.

I wonder if it's a sign of things changing. I've never seen bluefin post any Macross Tamashii

Goods until now. Perhaps BW is saying FU to HG finally.

BlueFin did? Where?

Do you have a link?

I'm quite excited by this, as the 19 (in all its variations) is my second favourite VF after the 17. Will definitely get at least one and if the fighter mode is good, two. A good fighter mode will be critical for me with this one!

Strangely, even though I like Macross Zero and like the VF-0 design, I'm not at all excited by Arcadia's upcoming VF-0D.

I have to say im on the complete opposite end of the "excitement" scale with the Bandai 19.. Sure I'll get one but seeing that I don't own any Zero's, the Zero-D release has my knickers in a right twist with anticipation! :p

Edited by spanner76

True, but Arcadia is Yamato's successor, and by virtue of that history, and maintaining a number of former Yamato people, have a proven track record for producing amazing Macross toys, QC and design quirks notwithstanding. That may be their saving grace, should Bandai try to crowd them out. Plus, I should think BW know that there is far more passion put into to Arcadia's projects, and that, too, may be meaningful.

Big West should just give bandai a timed exclusive.

This will mean if bandai do a crap job after Arcadia dies off one day and Bandai feels it is now 'safe' to make crap macross toys again like the v1 VF-25, then they (Big West) can hand the license to other toy companies as an insurance policy for when bandia decide to just not release any new toys because they are too involved with their own gundam stuff to care. Keep their options open I say..

I guess blow up nanase dolls are going to be arcadia next big project once they have done all the valks they have been allowed to do. Or giant YF-19 gunpod or something that nobody here is going to care for.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker