Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

Just now, spanner said:

I'd need to buy another dozen tv brownies to even get close to that idea!! :o

giphy.gif

lol, jk bud

Edited by slide

• 4 weeks later...

Yes!!!  Beautiful Saburo.  It's definitely my favourite VF-19 - you know how satisfied I am with it when I haven't had to carve time out of my too busy schedule to have to detail it up for it to be acceptable in my collection (unlike the 2 weeks I will never get back to get that turd of a Arcadia version to be even acceptable in my eyes).

4 hours ago, Scream Man said:

I grabbed a second one, and as before the left wing booster wont lock into place. Did anyone ever come up with a solution for that? 

TBH, I think there's no way to really lock it in place. It's a bad locking mechanism from Bandai. :unsure: Even I placed the booster in its 'locked' position, once I shake or bump the Valk, it always get loose. Not sure if adding a small 'dot' of Krazy Glue to the potruding circle thing on the booster will help to lock it more. :unknw:

3 hours ago, Saburo said:

The VF-19ADV is still one my favorites of valk photos I have taken.

19055762210_549e4df05c_h.jpg

3 hours ago, Saburo said:

Loving it too. I know a lot has complained how much this Valk have tampo prints. But everytime I looked at it, I want all my Valks to look like that. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Yes!!!  Beautiful Saburo.  It's definitely my favourite VF-19 - you know how satisfied I am with it when I haven't had to carve time out of my too busy schedule to have to detail it up for it to be acceptable in my collection (unlike the 2 weeks I will never get back to get that turd of a Arcadia version to be even acceptable in my eyes).

I'm going to experience soon what you've been experiencing, Mr. Cheng. Looking forward on applying decals on my VF-1's. ;)

29 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA. People actually DON'T like Tampo printing? Now that I own a VF-19 Advance, this is the GOLD STANDARD for what I expect on my expensive action figures. And, based on the lavish Tampo on the SV-262 and VF-31 figures, Bandai continues to impress with the Tampo.

I like tampo prints when they enhance the look of the valk, and are accurate, but Bandai did go overboard with this one. 

It's a combination of two things really.  First, the markings themselves are huge, much larger than even the 1/48 scale Hasegawa YF-19 decals, so they stand out far more than they should.  The second thing is a side-effect of the first: they're all entirely readable.  That wouldn't be bad if the markings actually made sense, but I'm thinking Bandai didn't really care what text was printed where as long as it looks good on a shelf.

It doesn't look bad, and I love the thing, so don't get me wrong.  I just wish Bandai would stop half-assing their detail work, and just copy actual aircraft instead of thinking they know what they're doing. :p

Anyway, as far as getting the booster to lock into place, I actually had to cut down the tabs.  Mine looked like they'd be melted, and the smushy blobs that used to be locking tabs weren't sharp enough to lock into the recesses on the wing glove.  Once I shaved down the molten plastic to make a sharp-cornered block, they stayed on much better.  I still have one more of these I haven't opened, so I might photograph the process if I do it again.

Edited by Chronocidal

besides the tampo printing, the vf-19 advance also have tons of small details and line all over the place.  for me, even when you compare it to the vf-31 or the SV-262 the details on the vf-19 still stands above theirs.  and that LARGE clear canopy, love it.  :wub: 

I actually think that one was unique to the VF-171s. :lol:  The VF-19 got "NO LIFT" ones, which makes more sense.  I'm more thinking about how they slapped "ACCESS PANEL INSIDE" in like a dozen places that aren't even panels, random "DO NOT TOUCH" labels in random spots on the fuselage, and more jack stand locators than you need to lift a B-52. 

It's just the same way Bandai always seems to treat aircraft.  There are billions of easily accessible online references for every facet of any type of aircraft they could possibly want, and they tend to ignore all of them, and go with whatever they feel like at the time.  It's just baffling.

Edited by Chronocidal

34 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Why do some people call this the VF-19 Advanced when it is called the VF-19 Advance?

Not sure if you're trolling, but in the real world we have had the YF-22 and YF-23 Advanced Tactical Fighters. For those members who are familiar with the real world jets, I think it's easy to equivocate or conflate Advance with Advanced, especially since this toy is a modified version of Isamu's YF-19. At least, I know I make that common mistake myself.

Anyway, now that I've completely bored everyone with an explanation, I'll go back to enjoying the VF-19 Advance(d). :p

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Has anybody else's mid-strut hinge on the front landing gear become so loose that it folds at even the slightest movement.

I had that issue. fixed it by using thinned-down future and coating the joint.

Edited by Duymon

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I like tampo prints when they enhance the look of the valk, and are accurate, but Bandai did go overboard with this one. 

It's a combination of two things really.  First, the markings themselves are huge, much larger than even the 1/48 scale Hasegawa YF-19 decals, so they stand out far more than they should.  The second thing is a side-effect of the first: they're all entirely readable.  That wouldn't be bad if the markings actually made sense, but I'm thinking Bandai didn't really care what text was printed where as long as it looks good on a shelf.

This and the huge gaps everywhere and visible tabs were what made the VF-19 ADVANCE one of the biggest dissapointments in my collection. 

7 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Why do some people call this the VF-19 Advanced when it is called the VF-19 Advance?

Probably the same reasons for why some call call the Sv-262 "Drakken" or "Draaken", or why the Lilldraken is called Lil'Draken. Ignorance, laziness or in some cases dyslexia, I would say.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:14 AM, wm cheng said:

Thanks @wm cheng, can't wait to see your detailed up version. Your valks are always amazing, wish I could photograph them. :D

6 hours ago, Saburo said:

Thanks @wm cheng, can't wait to see your detailed up version. Your valks are always amazing, wish I could photograph them. :D

Well, I love your photos!!!  If you're ever in Toronto, just let me know and I'll even dust them for ya :p

• 2 weeks later...