1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

honestly, no one has an idea what role she will play... so it's premature to complain about her role.  You do have to admit though, the setup they had for this storyline is great.  Even though some of the stand alones could've been much better.  But its well developed.  Since Marvel didn't bother to outline anything after Infinity Wars, who knows.

I do hope Thanos survives this whole thing.  I didn't mind that they killed most of the other villians in the show, but hopefully not Thanos.  I am very curious how they will top this at the end of the second movie.

6 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Keep Thanos alive then fold in the Fantastic Four, introduce Annihilus and do the Annihilation Wave.

Agreed with keeping Thanos alive, I very much enjoyed Loki as the only multi-dimensional villain in the MCU, but Thanos is just too damn compelling to kill. IMHO

-b.

21 hours ago, Focslain said:

-- snip ---

My biggest complaint on this and what brought me the most groans though:

Hide contents

If one of three different heroes were willing to make the sacrifice that the villian was willing to then they would have won. They had three chances and blew everyone. While Scarlet Witch did make the sacrifice in the end, it was too little too late, had she acted earlier there was a good chance they could have won.

I will state that if the marvel movies are your primary means of stories and action then Infinity War will be great.

As someone who has seen better, and knows that the studio can do better, it was lack luster. 

Just got back from my 2nd watch of the movie. Those missed chances, if you weren't aware of the comics, would be real heartbreakers. I thought it was good writing. I don't know if I have the will to watch a 3rd time, but damn, I really loved the action in this movie.

5 hours ago, hachi said:

Just got back from my 2nd watch of the movie. Those missed chances, if you weren't aware of the comics, would be real heartbreakers. I thought it was good writing. I don't know if I have the will to watch a 3rd time, but damn, I really loved the action in this movie.

Did you watched it at MoA or MegaMall? How's the theater there nowadays?

Anyways.../ ^_^

Spoiler

As for heartbreakers, I wonder who still stay 'dead' from the ones they killed in this movie. ;) 

I bet most, if not all will not remain that way.  This is the MMU after all, and their style of mass destruction with no real consequences or casualties hasn't changed over the years...

Just got back from seeing it with the nephews.

They loved the movie, hated the ending (but in a good way). Being passingly familiar with the Infinity War storyline in the comics, I wasn't as taken back as they were, though I am still satisfied that Marvel didn't shy away from ending the movie the way they did. I'm pleased with the nephews' reactions as well. That shocked, almost pissed-off feeling. It's their first major experience with the "heroes lose" phenomenon, and I think it hit so hard because it was very well-done. A lesser franchise, a lesser story, and they impact wouldn't have been nearly as strong or (I predict) long-lasting.

Now I think about it, the MCU feels a lot like my favorite video game of all time, Final Fantasy VI (that's 6, not 7). All the characters are introduced, well-realized, the story is well-told and they have a climactic battle against the bad guy... and lose. The world gets destroyed; the villain wins. And then... the story continues. The characters, the world, the audience, has to come to terms with what happened and move on.

We're at that point now in the MCU, and I feel like the nephews are experiencing that same feeling from this franchise as I felt playing Final Fantasy VI.

Whatever issues there are with the MCU, and there are plenty, they aren't enough to take away from this accomplishment. This is epic storytelling, in the purest traditional sense of the phrase, not the "front of the box buzz words" sense. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

58 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I can’t wait to see the HISHE and Honest Trailer videos for this movie.

EDIT:

Whoops, realize now you meant an actual HISHE.

EDIT EDIT:

Also I know that a lot of people aren't all that big on Thor, but I absolutely love him and I love his standalone movies and I love that Marvel has pretty consistently been able to portray him as the... well, deity that he is. All the characters get their moments in this film, but his moments absolutely dwarf them all; he might pal around with everyone else, but when push comes to shove, he really is the crap-kicking God of Thunder.

A review I saw of his first film noted that it's basically the ideal Superman film and he's the ideal Superman, that put to shame the actual Superman film and the actual Superman. I concur, heavily.

Edited by kajnrig

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Did you watched it at MoA or MegaMall? How's the theater there nowadays?

Anyways.../ ^_^

Hide contents

As for heartbreakers, I wonder who still stay 'dead' from the ones they killed in this movie. ;) 

Can't say exactly which mall for privacy purposes, but I watched at IMAX at an SM mall, then a 'regular' screen at an Ayala mall. (Have never watched at MoA or MegaMall though.) Ticket prices have shot up, so now I don't watch movies as much because of the price. But if a movie impresses me so much I'd go for a 2nd viewing.

7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Just got back from seeing it with the nephews.

Hide contents

They loved the movie, hated the ending (but in a good way). Being passingly familiar with the Infinity War storyline in the comics, I wasn't as taken back as they were, though I am still satisfied that Marvel didn't shy away from ending the movie the way they did. I'm pleased with the nephews' reactions as well. That shocked, almost pissed-off feeling. It's their first major experience with the "heroes lose" phenomenon, and I think it hit so hard because it was very well-done. A lesser franchise, a lesser story, and they impact wouldn't have been nearly as strong or (I predict) long-lasting.

Now I think about it, the MCU feels a lot like my favorite video game of all time, Final Fantasy VI (that's 6, not 7). All the characters are introduced, well-realized, the story is well-told and they have a climactic battle against the bad guy... and lose. The world gets destroyed; the villain wins. And then... the story continues. The characters, the world, the audience, has to come to terms with what happened and move on.

We're at that point now in the MCU, and I feel like the nephews are experiencing that same feeling from this franchise as I felt playing Final Fantasy VI.

Whatever issues there are with the MCU, and there are plenty, they aren't enough to take away from this accomplishment. This is epic storytelling, in the purest traditional sense of the phrase, not the "front of the box buzz words" sense. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

I'm gonna be having 2nd thoughts if my nephew requests to see this movie. He's less than 10 years old, will he be thoroughly disappointed? But I what I'm most worried about is him asking questions in the middle of the movie..who's that purple guy? why is collecting those stones?? :lol: He's a Spider-Man fan but I don't know if he knows about the Guardians of the Galaxy...

4 hours ago, hachi said:

I'm gonna be having 2nd thoughts if my nephew requests to see this movie. He's less than 10 years old, will he be thoroughly disappointed? But I what I'm most worried about is him asking questions in the middle of the movie..who's that purple guy? why is collecting those stones?? :lol: He's a Spider-Man fan but I don't know if he knows about the Guardians of the Galaxy...

I would not bring a 10yr old to this movie especially if he's heavily invested in Marvel Characters.  This would be almost as bad as the 1984 Transformers movie where Optimus Prime dies.  

4 hours ago, hachi said:

Does he have any familiarity with Marvel superheroes? If so, I think he'll like it. If he doesn't know much about the movies, he might ask some more questions than usual, but you can head this off at the pass by taking him out of school for a day and planting him in front of the TV for all ~20 movies. That's neither feasible nor healthy, you say? Well then, I don't know what else to tell you, get him with the program. :D

Seriously, though, as long as he knows generally what leads into this movie - mainly he can recognize the main Avengers and Thanos - then I think he'll be fine. It's ultimately up to your discretion, though, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Dangard Ace said:

I would not bring a 10yr old to this movie especially if he's heavily invested in Marvel Characters.  This would be almost as bad as the 1984 Transformers movie where Optimus Prime dies.  

Oh, bah humbug. Every generation needs their Transformers The Movie. :D

44 minutes ago, Dangard Ace said:

I completely disagree.  Face it.  We all fail.  It’s a great lesson.  Besides, I survived Empire Strikes Back at seven.  A 10 year old will be fine.

7 hours ago, hachi said:

Can't say exactly which mall for privacy purposes, but I watched at IMAX at an SM mall, then a 'regular' screen at an Ayala mall. (Have never watched at MoA or MegaMall though.) Ticket prices have shot up, so now I don't watch movies as much because of the price. But if a movie impresses me so much I'd go for a 2nd viewing.

Thanks Hachi. And that's my main reason actually why I don't bring my family anymore to movies. It really cost a lot. Not just the movie tickets, but the drinks and snacks too. Like in my head, I rather wait for iTunes since I'm sure it's much cheaper and I can rewatch it anytime. But hey, if it's something big like this, then screw the iTunes preorder. I'm not regretting spending $60 Avengers movie night with my wife and son. And so you know, I still going to preorder this movie on iTunes. Hahaha! :lol: 

6 hours ago, hachi said:

2 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

I agree with Mommar. And my son is just 9 years old. He knows more Marvel characters than me. Just sayin'. ;) Whenever he have questions during the screening I always tell him in a nice way that to listen all the time to what they're saying so he will understand. And if he still has questions, he can ask anything after the movie and not during since we're not the only ones watching in the theaters. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

I completely disagree.  Face it.  We all fail.  It’s a great lesson.  Besides, I survived Empire Strikes Back at seven.  A 10 year old will be fine.

+1  :good:

I survived Nightmare on Elm Street at 7. And I don't want to watch it again. :lol: 

For certain movies that are worthy enough to watch in theaters like Avengers Infinity War, I usually watch it first on my own on the Thursday night before the Friday opening. Then I preorder the blu-ray and watch the movie again with my wife in the comfort of our home.

Already have the blu-ray preordered.

3 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

I think I had the same reaction watching the ending of Infinity War as I did when I saw Prowl bite the dust in Transformers the movie.  

tm023.jpeg.cebf90a06784f5e90a761c764dc9bf8e.jpeg

19 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I have a confession to make:

I don't have and have never had any strong connection to G1 Transformers or the movie. My childhood trauma was the Zentraedi glassing Earth, not Prime giving the... All-Spark?... away.

It was the Matrix of Leadership, but fair enough on the trauma choice.

35 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

If I know watching a movie would result in my nephew or niece or any relative/friend getting emotionally devastated... I’d gladly bring them to watch it! :)

:lol:

-b.

With regards to the whole

"X character's death means nothing because we know they have sequel movies in the works" argument, I agree with this statement given by the directors to (of all places) Buzzfeed:

“We can’t make movies assuming you know how movies get made,” said McFeely. “We can just tell the best version of the story we can, and hopefully you are investing in that story while you’re in it, and you feel appropriate sadness or joy while you’re in it. We can’t account for having one step outside the movie theater while you’re watching it. We would be terrible storytellers if we did that.”

It doesn't matter so much that so-and-so dies here only to come back later; it doesn't inherently "cheapen" their death. What matters is how the storytelling affects you, and if you're willing to come along for the emotional ride. I knew going in that these weren't going to (all) be permadeaths, but I didn't really care because it served the story being told.

Oh, and if you want to check out the full interview: https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/avengers-infinity-war-ending-explained-spoilers

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

If I know watching a movie would result in my nephew or niece or any relative/friend getting emotionally devastated... I’d gladly bring them to watch it! :)

Bring on The Shining. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Hide contents

"X character's death means nothing because we know they have sequel movies in the works" argument, I agree with this statement given by the directors to (of all places) Buzzfeed:

It doesn't matter so much that so-and-so dies here only to come back later; it doesn't inherently "cheapen" their death. What matters is how the storytelling affects you, and if you're willing to come along for the emotional ride. I knew going in that these weren't going to (all) be permadeaths, but I didn't really care because it served the story being told.

Oh, and if you want to check out the full interview: https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/avengers-infinity-war-ending-explained-spoilers

Don't necessarily disagree with the overall concept presented in that article, but Marvel is and has been so methodical with the interwoven stories through the MCU, the planning, scripting, casting, etc. of these movies that I don't buy the commentary in that article at all. But ONLY, because it's Marvel and how much effort they put into, and how they're lauded for having a road-map for their films.

Anyway, hopefully I can get to a second viewing this weekend, the more I think about Infinity War the more I like it. Far more often than not the more thought I put into a film the less I enjoy it so when that's not the case I can't wait to view it again.

-b.

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I agree to an extent.  While I knew Spidey and Black Panther were getting sequels, I still thought it was an emotional gut-punch to seem them among the victims -- esp. Peter's death, whose suffering it seemed like was prolonged (perhaps due to his Spidey sense kicking in and telling him he was about to be toast long before he was toast).  That said, if Marvel really wanted to mess with people, they could have left Spidey and T'Challa among the living, and killed off the other characters whose absence would not necessarily impact whether a movie gets made or not.  Of course, we wouldn't have as much of a gut-punch, but still... seing a character like Groot or Sam Wilson bite the dust is not nothing either.

14 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

You know, we all have to grow up sometimes... AND YEAH, Optimus Prime is DEAD, alright. You know at least Thanos is a better bad guy than Megatron.  Even if his chin does look like a giant scrotum.

9 hours ago, Mommar said:

My brother refused to watch The Transformers Movie because he heard about what happened to Optimus Prime.

Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.   OPTIMUS PRIME IS STILL DEAD.

11 hours ago, SuperSenpai said:

I think I had the same reaction watching the ending of Infinity War as I did when I saw Prowl bite the dust in Transformers the movie.  

tm023.jpeg.cebf90a06784f5e90a761c764dc9bf8e.jpeg

Transformer movie was traumatic for me. To see my favorite characters get offed that way in quick succession.

19 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

He loves Spider-Man. A lot of his shoes from his younger years were Spider-Man branded. But he already watches The Walking Dead so I dunno, maybe he can take it?

Spoiler

And I was also thinking if it was time for him to see Alien the movie...I'll be by his side to explain anyway :lol:

I mean, on my 2nd viewing I really laughed while Mantis was chasing Spider-Man around...Those Alien references were really funny. Only now I realized the funniest scenes are whenever there are GOTG crew. I thank whoever gave us the GOTG film.

14 hours ago, Mommar said:

My brother refused to watch The Transformers Movie because he heard about what happened to Optimus Prime.

I didn't get to see that movie. I used to like Transformers, but after the 3rd live-action movie I was done with the franchise. I have stopped caring about them.

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

Hmm, seriously didn't get any emotional impact during IW's end scenes.

Maybe cos everything happened so fast...There was more emotion in the beginning with thor, loki and thanos...

I think the impact would be more felt among casual moviegoers-- the ones who have no idea about the comics and the kids.

Spoiler

But I think that last part where Thanos his thing to Vision was a real heart-breaking moment, especially for Wanda. That didn't have emotional impact for you?

28 minutes ago, hachi said:

I didn't get to see that movie. I used to like Transformers, but after the 3rd live-action movie I was done with the franchise. I have stopped caring about them.

I think the impact would be more felt among casual moviegoers-- the ones who have no idea about the comics and the kids.

Hide contents

But I think that last part where Thanos his thing to Vision was a real heart-breaking moment, especially for Wanda. That didn't have emotional impact for you?

Spoiler

Not really. In fact i was thinking,  somehow vision/JARVIS is in the mind stone and can somehow control back Thanos! hahaha....

Also i dont identify with the MCU version of vision/wanda. She seems too young for him and I still see him as Jarvis....So...yeah....maybe am just getting too old...i identify with Iron Man/Pepper more! Now that i talked abt it, i did feel a lil when stark had to tell her he was on the ship...

Edited by seti88

4 minutes ago, seti88 said:
  Hide contents

Not really. In fact i was thinking,  somehow vision/JARVIS is in the mind stone and can somehow control back Thanos! hahaha....

Also i dont identify with the MCU version of vision/wanda. She seems too young for him and I still see him as Jarvis....So...yeah....maybe am just getting too old...i identify with Iron Man/Pepper more! Now that i talked abt it, i did feel a lil when stark had to tell her he was on the ship...

Spoiler

I see Paul Bettany when I see Vision haha. But I am also more worried about Iron Man/Pepper couple too. I hope they have a happy ending in A4.