6 hours ago, Kelsain said:

You can skip Iron Man 3 & Thor 2 if you’re pressed for time. My wife skipped those & even Avengers 2.

I’m down to Ragnarok, after really enjoying Spider-Man!

Wife and I are also doing an abbreviated re-watch of the MCU films.  We basically stuck with the films that are most important (IMO) to the meta-narrative.  That gave us:

Captain America: The First Avenger (introduces the Tesseract)

The Avengers

Thor: The Dark World (introduced the Aether)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (introduced the Bucky story, setting up Civil War, which sets up Infinity War)

Guardians of the Galaxy (introduces the Orb)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (reveals Loki's staff as the Mind Stone)

Captain America: Civil War (sets up Black Panther and Infinity War)

Doctor Strange (introduces the Eye of Agamotto)

Thor: Ragnorok

We've already seen Black Panther in the theaters, and Rangorok will actually be a first viewing for us since we missed it in the theaters.  We've made out way through most of the films, and only have Doctor Strange and Ragnorok left.  Re-watching the films has actually been helpful as a refresher.  And it's really impressed upon me how important Captain America is to the meta-narrative.

1 hour ago, SuperSenpai said:

Wife and I are also doing an abbreviated re-watch of the MCU films.  We basically stuck with the films that are most important (IMO) to the meta-narrative.  That gave us:

Captain America: The First Avenger (introduces the Tesseract)

The Avengers

Thor: The Dark World (introduced the Aether)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (introduced the Bucky story, setting up Civil War, which sets up Infinity War)

Guardians of the Galaxy (introduces the Orb)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (reveals Loki's staff as the Mind Stone)

Captain America: Civil War (sets up Black Panther and Infinity War)

Doctor Strange (introduces the Eye of Agamotto)

Thor: Ragnorok

We've already seen Black Panther in the theaters, and Rangorok will actually be a first viewing for us since we missed it in the theaters.  We've made out way through most of the films, and only have Doctor Strange and Ragnorok left.  Re-watching the films has actually been helpful as a refresher.  And it's really impressed upon me how important Captain America is to the meta-narrative.

Pretty much all of these.  My wife and I watched Thor Ragnarok again recently.  I’ll watch Iron Man and Iron Man 2 again too just because I liked both of those movies.

Yeah, and after having not seen the First Avenger in a really long time, seeing it again made me appreciate it a lot more now after all the other subsequent films.  Plus, Cap is my favorite so that helps. :p

Only thing I skipped so far was that Ed Norton Hulk movie.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The Marvel films are known for their humor but that was kinda weak, almost contrived.

They claim James Gunn wrote all of the portions of the script with the Guardians to keep their tone yet that felt NOTHING like Peter Quill.

Unless there’s some latent follow-on from that earlier trailer scene with both Drax and Gamora being impressed with Thors physique that informs this “joke” it seems inexplicable why they would include this.  And even with that possible explanation this attitude doesn’t feel like Quill’s style.

Edited by Mommar

All caught up and ready for IW! 

Personally, I was pretty disappointed by Ragnarok. I was expecting more, from what I’d read online. Maybe I just watched it too soon after Spider-Man, bc I thought that one knocked it outta the park.

It cements in my mind that the Thor franchise is the weakest of the MCU, though I really liked the first one. That might have been work, honestly.

At this point, the only ones I haven’t seen are Hulk & IM3, which I’m ok with.

Edited by Kelsain

1 hour ago, Kelsain said:

All caught up and ready for IW! 

Personally, I was pretty disappointed by Ragnarok. I was expecting more, from what I’d read online. Maybe I just watched it too soon after Spider-Man, bc I thought that one knocked it outta the park.

It cements in my mind that the Thor franchise is the weakest of the MCU, though I really liked the first one. That might have been work, honestly.

At this point, the only ones I haven’t seen are Hulk & IM3, which I’m ok with.

I haven’t seen Ragnarok but I really disliked everything about Spider-Man except for Michael Keaton.  The only remarkable thing about IM3 is th ballsy opening music.

I'm one of those weirdos who preferred IM2 to IM3.  The whole pacing of IM3 felt off, and the Mandarin reveal just didn't work.  I would have loved if the closing scene was the Ben Kingsley in jail, putting on his Mandarin voice and saying something to the effect of, "thank you, now I can build my real army."

^ Movie posters?  Oddly has a seam between Thanos and Cap.  Otherwise really neat.

I finished watching Civil War last night, and that's the first time seeing it since it was in theaters I think... I couldn't remember how it was that Cap knew of the details of Stark's parents death.  Was that in there somewhere or in a different film?  Was it in the file Nat gave him on Barnes?

1 hour ago, ZorClone said:

^ Movie posters?  Oddly has a seam between Thanos and Cap.  Otherwise really neat.

I finished watching Civil War last night, and that's the first time seeing it since it was in theaters I think... I couldn't remember how it was that Cap knew of the details of Stark's parents death.  Was that in there somewhere or in a different film?  Was it in the file Nat gave him on Barnes?

It wasn't clearly indicated in the movie how he knew.  This was an oversight on Marvel's part, I think -- though you could argue that for the sake of moving the story forward, it doesn't matter *how* Cap knew about the Starks being killed, just that he knew and didn't tell Tony.

1 hour ago, ZorClone said:

It isn't said outright, but I suspect that file Natasha gave Cap at the end of Winter Soldier had info about the assassination/hit.

Hence, her warning about "You might not want to pull on that thread."

On 4/20/2018 at 11:07 AM, ZorClone said:

On 4/20/2018 at 12:12 PM, SuperSenpai said:

It wasn't clearly indicated in the movie how he knew.  This was an oversight on Marvel's part, I think -- though you could argue that for the sake of moving the story forward, it doesn't matter *how* Cap knew about the Starks being killed, just that he knew and didn't tell Tony.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:04 PM, Mog said:

It isn't said outright, but I suspect that file Natasha gave Cap at the end of Winter Soldier had info about the assassination/hit.

Hence, her warning about "You might not want to pull on that thread."

Mog is probably right. Don't forget that earlier in The Winter Soldier, one of the historical news headlines disembodied Zola shows is the death of the Starks, just before Zola highlights the death of Fury. Rogers must have obviously deduced that a S.H.I.E.L.D. leader's suspicious death had to have been HYDRA's handiwork.

Edited by SMS007

1 hour ago, SMS007 said:

Mog is probably right. Don't forget that earlier in The Winter Soldier, one of the historical news headlines disembodied Zola shows is the death of the Starks, just before Zola highlights the death of Fury. Rogers must have obviously deduced that a S.H.I.E.L.D. leader's suspicious death had to have been HYDRA's handiwork.

Upon further reflection, I think what happened was that Cap learned that Bucky murdered the Starks during this scene:

I think we're meant to infer that Bucky told Steve that he killed Stark's parents while carrying out the mission to retrieve the Super Soldier Serum 2.0.  At this point in the movie, we haven't yet been told that Stark's parents were in the car.  The footage of Bucky causing the car crash is shown several times in the movie, but it's not until the very end that it's shown to the audience in its entirety, and that's when we (and Tony) learn that his parents were in that car.  I think the inclusion of the car crash footage during Bucky's flashback and the scene where Tony finds out is meant to be a visual clue to the audience that what Tony is seeing was explained to Steve while we were watching the flashback.

I think this also makes sense of Steve's answer when Tony asked him "Did you know?".  Steve answers "I didn't know it was him."  Which was true -- Steve knew that the Starks were killed by HYDRA from Zola's little slideshow, but it wasn't established in The Winter Soldier that Bucky was responsible.  Steve didn't learn that Bucky killed them until the flashback scene in Civil War, which happened no more than a day or two before the scene where Tony finds out.  So Steve was being truthful -- he didn't know it was Bucky for most of the time they were chasing him, and only found out recently.