I saw it last night and it was pretty damn good! Great cast, crazy effects, Wakanda was nuts. Killmonger was pretty awesome, my main complaint was as we'd already seen in the trailers, he's basically just in an evil Black Panther suit at the end, so hard to tell apart from the real Black Panther they had to do a little MK style palette swap action so you could tell them apart. It will be interesting to see how the MCU plays out now with what happened at the end, lots of neat set ups for the future too, Shuri is frakking awesome! Really disliked the sound track though, not a fan of rap or hip hop, new or modern. Feel fine posting that here, got called a racist for posting the same thing on other sites, people are having a hard time handling any kind of criticism towards this film. Loved the movie itself though, All Hail The King!

I thought the film was beautiful. Not only an overall solid outing but one that touches upon so many real worldĀ aspects like creating our monsters, or how we view and interact with a worldĀ outside of our own. Also as a person of color just the representation of an entire people who were all exceptional was truly heart warming. I know itā€™s hard to convey how much that last statement means to me. Yes Iā€™ve had great representation before in Blade, Green Lantern and other heroes but it was always just one or two people.Ā Marvel did very well with this one. The soundtrack is odd as there are some great tracks but for such an uplifting film to go release an explicit album that doesnā€™t quite fit the film is wrong. All the Stars is a great track though.Ā 

Edited by kanedaestes

1 hour ago, kanedaestes said:

Yes Iā€™ve had great representation before in Blade, Green Lantern and other heroes but it was always just one or two people.Ā 

Those films were few and far between, Blade, Spawn, Steel with Shaq I guess. Also, they were old, and they weren't in this modern day of super budget super hero movies, Black Panther is a massive film, and, expectedly, a massive success. I've really not gotten the concept of "People won't watch black or any POC lead films", I mean, black people exist, they are a thing, why wouldn't they want to see themselves represented on film instead of another glorious white hero? From a business stand point, the film WILL make absurd amounts of money, and it WILL receive numerous accolades, Marvel was stupid not to make this years ago. From a PR perspective, Marvel has had the rights to Black Panther as long as Cap, Iron Man, Thor, etc., they were stupid not to make this years ago. Clearly people want more diverse films, and more diverse casts in films, but the LEADS are the most important part, there have been plenty of side kicks and background characters, but people want to see themselves as the hero, more then white folks exist so the market has ALWAYS been there. Once again, it looks kind of bad that it took Marvel this long, they could've introduced Wakanda and everyone in it years ago and extended or completely changed storylines for several different MCU projects, Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, and with that, possibly brought in more fans and in turn, more money. Clearly they are getting the message now, I'm confident Black Panther WILL lead the Avengers whenever Chris Evans bows out as Cap, it's just always baffled me as to why it took this long.

Just saw it earlier. There are times I feel it doesn't flow well (the editing), but I think the movie has one of the best story in the MCU. Chadwick Boseman was awesome, Michael B Jordan was ok (I get distracted by his hair I dunno why). I enjoyed it but won't be watching it twice like I did with Thor:Ragnarok. And yeah I agree I think Boseman/BP can be a good leader when Chris Evans/Cap bows out.

I saw it last night. Personally, I thought it was mediocre at best. Actually found it pretty boring, especially during the first 2/3rds of the film. Almost fell asleep a few times.Ā Iā€™m also not sure exactly where it fits in the storyline. It seems like itā€™s after Civil War, but somehow it felt like the first part of the movie happened during Civil War, while the latter parts weeks later or longer. But that doesnā€™t make much sense because the events in the Black Panther movie donā€™t seem to takeĀ more than 3-4Ā days or so.

They also nerfed Tā€™Challa so much. Heā€™s supposed to be at least as good as Captain America in hand to hand combat, but this movie makes him look like heā€™s just a little better than average.

Oh, and it also felt like there was so much SJW pandering in the movie as well.

Overall, Iā€™d say this movie is comparable to Thor 1 for me. And that means itā€™s on the lower end of my Marvel movie rankings.

Edited by ArchieNov

Saw it earlier today, easily in my top 3 -Ā 5 Marvel movies.Ā 

Ā 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (and I'm not even that big of a Cap fan)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 1 and/or 2 (despite the forced humor, Volume 2 had a LOT of heart)

Black Panther

Thor: Ragnarok

*Logan - don't care that it's not in the MCU, taken as a whole this could easily be my # 1

Ā 

My only slight nitpicks are;

1) Some of the more urban/Black humor was a little too forced (before anyone has a stroke, I'mĀ Black), but extra laughs seems to be par for the course for movies these days. It's like Hollywood is going thru a "LMAO"Ā phase.

2) While very early on the movie touched on very real and very prevalent issues impacting my community by the end the message got "comic-booked". That said I appreciate that the message was delivered at all, and I appreciate the intent of T'Challa establishing outreach programs to the world at large.

Can't wait to see it again in theaters and then get a copy once it gets a home release.

-b.

...so which one of you is Yellow Panther, then? :D

Watching the credits as I write this. I keep waiting for one of these Marvel movies to be just straight up bad... Seems I'll have to keep waiting.

Dug the music. For all the complaints about hip hop/rap, there wasn't actually all that much in there.

17 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Watching the credits as I write this. I keep waiting for one of these Marvel movies to be just straight up bad... Seems I'll have to keep waiting.

Dug the music. For all the complaints about hip hop/rap, there wasn't actually all that much in there.

Thats what I thought, the rap music was very subtle. Used some traditional African music too that wasn't overbearing either.

As for bad Marvel films I wouldn't say any is bad but Iron Man 2 is the weakest IMHO.

55 minutes ago, kanedaestes said:

Ok ok ok. Hold up. The two people on this site with the name Kaneda canā€™t both be black. Iā€™m sorry but we must duel sir, to surrender or death. Have at thee

Ā 

One, two, three, four - I declare THUMB WAR!

Ā 

32 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Ā 

Killmonger, nope, not I.Ā There was too much about his motivations AND actionsĀ that got on my nerves and or I flat out despised.Ā 

Yeah, the music wasn't a huge distraction or anything that made me say "great soundtrack". To be honest I usually notice a strong score before a strong soundtrack anyway.

-b.

Saw it yesterday, and thought it yet another strong entry in the MCU. I gained a strong admiration for Panther's character as he was portrayed in the 2011 cartoon The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, a thoughtful, rational, morally straight guy of few but poignant words who was prone to look before he leapt. He was a great counter to most of the team, esp Thor and Hulk, who are habitually rash. Anyway, I hoped some of that characterization would come through, and while Boseman's take isn't as generally philosophical or reticent, two movies in, I think he's a great choice for the character. Above all, I think the plot served the character well- he ran the gauntlet of human experiences in this film, and came out the other side victorious, doubtless with a few scars inside and out. It was a great character-building film, and I'm looking forward to his next outing in the Infinity War.

Enjoyed the traditional African Tribal music in the score- good stuff. Always reminds me a bit of the Lion King opening, which never fails to give me goosebumps.Ā 

Whoever said they were distracted by Killmonger's hair- me too!:lol:Ā  As bad guys go, he was ultimately a pathological thug, but at least his pathway to that point was explained in a way that makes sense, to me anyway. I try to empathize with his circumstances and wonder how they would have affected me at a young age. Anyway, I think he had one of the better backstories for how he became a bad guy, even if he came across as an arrogant punk to me every time he was onscreen.:D He was over the top sometimes, but not like Andy Serkis, who chewed every bit of scenery he was in like it was taffee. Guy enjoys his job.

I thought the scenery and settings were gorgeous. It's one of the prettiest Marvel films. Loved the integration of traditional thatching on some of the modern buildings in Wakanda- just some lovely scenery there, as well as much of the styling.Ā 

I'm curious to see how they follow up on the ending sentiments of the film. If only Wakanda really existed.

28 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Know what I find funny? The fact that the 2 FOX movie Human Torches (Chris Evans, Michael B Jordan) ended up redeeming themselves in the Marvel superhero films.

Actually, Michael B Jordan redeemed himself in Creed...

11 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Thats what I thought, the rap music was very subtle. Used some traditional African music too that wasn't overbearing either.

It's the first instance of Korean rap that didn't instantly make my ears bleed. So... top marks for that alone.

4 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Killmonger, nope, not I.Ā There was too much about his motivations AND actionsĀ that got on my nerves and or I flat out despised.Ā 

Like what? I thought he was a compelling villain, in that a lot of the ideas he embodied were strong counters to those of the protagonist...

Ā or at least the protagonist's forebears.

28 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Know what I find funny? The fact that the 2 FOX movie Human Torches (Chris Evans, Michael B Jordan) ended up redeeming themselves in the Marvel superhero films.

Ā 

I dunno, I think Michael B Jordan had already sufficiently cushioned himself off from those train wrecks with Creed. Or did that come out before Fant-4-stic?

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

Ā 

35 minutes ago, azrael said:

Actually, Michael B Jordan redeemed himself in Creed...

The point is two actors who played the same Marvel comic character in a Fox film redeemed themselves by way of playing different Marvel comic characters in Disney films.

Not so much that they were poor actors to begin with, but speaking strictly in the realm of comic book properties.

37 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

*snip*

Like what? I thought he was a compelling villain, in that a lot of the ideas he embodied were strong counters to those of the protagonist...

*snip*

He was compelling in that he had an actual backstory, was well acted and as you've said was a really good foil for T'Challa, I just thought they played up the 'Angry Black Man' too much - power to the people through violent revolution. I would have been more 'okay' if his rationale was all about destroying the legacy of Wakanda because he was pissed off (for good reason), instead he was just a power-hungry murderer, who through his actions didn't really care about 'the' struggle but more his own since of personal vengeance and gratification.Ā 

Not trying to be dismissive in any way shape or form, we can chat via PM if you'd like, but if I delve into why much further then it's going to get super political in this thread and I don't want to sully the thread or a REALLY good movie.

That said I agree that it's yet another really solid entry into the MCU with a good script (despite one or two cringe-y inside jokes), great acting with an overall thoughtful and satisfyingĀ story.

-b.

34 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

instead he was just a power-hungry murderer, who through his actions didn't really care about 'the' struggle but more his own since of personal vengeance and gratification.

Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. I felt that, too.

He uses a legitimate struggle to mask his real, far pettier, motives. It was one of theĀ unfortunate subtexts of the movie. If his intentions had been pure, the movie would have had a much more satisfyingly gray ending. His final line rang really, really hollow to me, because by that point he was just a tyrant, tragic backstory be damned. Imagine if he had taken the throne and done a surprisingly good job ruling. Imagine if he had been the one to open up the outreach center.

I kept hoping for him to be redeemed, for T'Challa to show him mercy and he takes the chance to make good on the ideas he espoused.

That part of the movie I do really dislike, but as a whole, he ends up asking the protagonists and the audience a lot of good questions.

No worries, you aren't being unduly dismissive. PM me if you want to discuss this more.

55 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

That said I agree that it's yet another really solid entry into the MCU with a good script (despite one or two cringe-y inside jokes)

"WHAT ARE THOSE!?" made me literally cringe, and yet I was amused despite myself...

^See - it felt like I was literally the only person in the theater, a heavily mixed crowd, to chuckle a bit to "WHAT ARE THOSE" - not because it was funny, but because I recognized it from like 2 years ago. That and the Kevin Hart moment that just made say "goddammit" in my Kyle from South Park voice.

*and from my earlier post sense of personal vengeance, not sinceĀ :lol:

-b.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, Kanedas Bike said:

Ā 

The point is two actors who played the same Marvel comic character in a Fox film redeemed themselves by way of playing different Marvel comic characters in Disney films.

Not so much that they were poor actors to begin with, but speaking strictly in the realm of comic book properties.

This guy gets it :)

40 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

One particular note is how good Andy Serkis was good as a villain. Would have liked to see more of him in it.

Very much agreed.

I hope to get a chance to see Black Panther in theaters again this weekend, otherwise it's going to be a long wait (for me) until it comes out on Blu ray.Ā 

8 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

This guy gets it :)

B))

-b.

I think Klau and Ross made for better villains then Killmonger :(. Killmonger was fine until I'd say roughly the half way point, when it becomes clear he's using his people and their suffering to further his agenda, and achieve his vengeance/revenge. Also, while he claimed he wanted to end all of the dictators and monsters, let's be real, he actually just wanted his turn at the wheel. Klau and Ross were pretty awesome, and Andy is ALWAYS a delight in every role he is in, that guy seems to have the most fun playing parts.

Saw this last night. Ā It was fun enjoyable movie. Ā  Like the world building they did.

Couple of parts pulled me out of the movie. The music rnb at the beginning and the end but imo they may have been trying too hard to say ā€œweā€™re a tribal peopleā€ with the amount of drum prescience in the middle section. Ā  Granted I donā€™t know a lot of African tribal music but it reminded me a lot like Maori music. Ā It could just be me. Ā Wasnā€™t really that big of a deal. Ā 

The part where the General and her lover were staring each other down. Ā Really? Ā  They were so passionate about their positions and thatā€™s the conclusion ? Ā  Ā 

BP sister shouldā€™ve taken out Killmonger easily. Ā I know I know itā€™s the Black Panther movie and that wouldā€™ve been anticlimactic but she built their transportation system, she maintains the ships, she made the BP suit(s). Ā It wouldā€™ve been a different movie ifĀ she became the BP. Ā Sheā€™s basically the new Tony Stark except sheā€™s not wearing the suit. Ā  Just saying. :DĀ  Ā My friend who went to see it with me, sheā€™s black im Asian, agreed. Ā 

Ā 

I like the two end credit scenes.Ā 

Saw it. Loved it. The Dora Milaje were amazing, and I LOVED the car chase in Korea, when Okoye just said ā€œF itā€, got out of the car, and went to work. In a stunning evening gown.Ā 

Edited by Sildani

• 1 month later...