Captain Marvel, in theaters Mar. 8, 2019

azrael

I liked the trailer. I expect the second trailer will be even better, since Marvel tends to work that way—building momentum to opening day. 

Larson’s Captain Marvel suit looks pretty cool too IMO. I think it’s pretty fashionable, given how Marvel has been dressing up its cinematic heroes. Larson herself looks athletic, which is par for the course when creating a hero fantasy.

The Legends figure though...yeah, that could use some work. I’ve seen better face sculpts. This one looks like a step back.

Do you guys remember that 'argument scene' back in the Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie? I'm curious though if this movie will explain Nick Fury's preparation for any oncoming 'invasion' knowing that he's already been exposed in this 'alien' concepts back in the 90's. Why only prepare after Thor/The Destroyer showed up in the 00's?

23 hours ago, Mommar said:

There’s no gravitas without presence.  She’s flat as can be in this trailer.

Definitely agree.  The trailer as pretty as it appears is boring when focused on Brie.  She has the resting bitch face down much like Emma Watson. Wish casting went with Yvonne Strahovski instead or someone with greater emotional range. Have a feeling this movie will directly pander to the Social Justice Warriors and Feminists since Disney is making her the strongest in the MCU (which she is not).

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Do you guys remember that 'argument scene' back in the Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie? I'm curious though if this movie will explain Nick Fury's preparation for any oncoming 'invasion' knowing that he's already been exposed in this 'alien' concepts back in the 90's. Why only prepare after Thor/The Destroyer showed up in the 00's?

You could no-prize it as Fury was summarizing / lying to several people who were mostly new to the concept of alien invasions, but yeah, I would call it a coordination error. Like Coulson claiming “SHIELD” was a new acronym or Gamora claiming to be the last of her species. 

I still don't get why some people think she's flat...^_^

I read in a Youtube comment, and I agree with it, that we do see emotion on her face but it is in the flashbacks. Walking with Maria Ramboux, reaching up to run her fingertips along her airplane, when she's reaching out to 'touch the stars...'  From the sounds of it, she's been 'brain-washed' by the Kree and she's trying to find out about her past, not knowing where to start or who to trust. If that was me, I would be walking around behind a 'brick wall' too.

That being said, this is a minute and a half from a two or two/half hour movie, focusing on more of the intense Welcome to Earth moments. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Brie Larson, but I thought she was great in Kong, Skull Island and I'm thinking we'll see a different tone in the second trailer - or is it the first trailer and this was just a teaser..?

Anyway, as of now I am all in!

Edited by Thom

• 2 months later...

So, I saw that poster, higher, further, faster.

And I couldn't help but think of a similar poster I saw at a trade show when I was sitting across from this other booth, it said, deeper, faster, and clearer..  my colleagues and I made fun of those lines for hours, substituting clearer for a bunch of other words.  

That's what that poster above reminds me of.  

Hey Marvel, what’s with all the CGI helmets forming over people’s heads? Star Lord, Iron Man, Ant Man & Wasp, Black Panther, Whiplash, Iron Spider, etc. Does no one just put on a helmet anymore? 

12 hours ago, azrael said:

Hey Marvel, what’s with all the CGI helmets forming over people’s heads? Star Lord, Iron Man, Ant Man & Wasp, Black Panther, Whiplash, Iron Spider, etc. Does no one just put on a helmet anymore? 

I think part of it is that real one-piece helmets are too big/bulky to easily get on/off.  The only way to have a "well-fitting" one is to have it be multiple pieces, that is "assembled around the head" when needed for filming.  But never actually shown being taken off or put-on.  I noticed it a lot in Ep 7, how it always cuts away for Kylo.  

Short version: neck-opening too small for head to fit through.  Must be disassembled, or CGI'd.   Or go with a much bigger helmet overall.  

57 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I think part of it is that real one-piece helmets are too big/bulky to easily get on/off.  The only way to have a "well-fitting" one is to have it be multiple pieces, that is "assembled around the head" when needed for filming.  But never actually shown being taken off or put-on.  I noticed it a lot in Ep 7, how it always cuts away for Kylo.  

Short version: neck-opening too small for head to fit through.  Must be disassembled, or CGI'd.   Or go with a much bigger helmet overall.  

I'm not talking about the production-side of it but the story-aspect. It's becoming a cliché as it seems like everyone has a head piece that manifests itself around the wearer.   

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Pretty much this, with a side of "Hold on, I have to put my hair in bun so it doesn't get caught." :p 

This is older than CGI helmets though, since I remember noticing the same thing about the Power Rangers, and how they never put on or took off their helmets on-camera (that I remember, anyway).  CGI just lets you bypass the physical limitations of getting the helmet on and fastened while filming.

Film-wise though, the CGI helmets have a few helpful uses.  The quick on/off option makes them usable as an extension of the actors' expressions, like a way to express surprise, or end a conversation quickly.  I imagine they can also be useful in post production and editing, allowing for tweaking in how much of an actor's facial expressions are visible.

Far as it becoming a cliché, I think it's just the natural progression of super-advanced (possibly alien) technology.  Everyone has a head and face (for the most part), and giving them a slick button-press helmet is a quick shortcut to say "yeah, this person's important in some way."  From a practicality side of things though, yeah, if that technology existed and was easily accessible, I think everyone who rides a motorcycle would love to be able to press a button and have their sunglasses turn into a full crash helmet.  It's just convenient.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 minute ago, azrael said:

I'm not talking about the production-side of it but the story-aspect. It's becoming a cliché as it seems like everyone has a head piece that manifests itself around the wearer.   

Part of it's just that it's an easy way to demonstrate someone's gear is "high-tech" (see: Starlord, Iron Man, Black Panther). 

My only fault with the 'whizz-tech' helmet is that we'll never see her with it tucked under her arm, unless it's an action figure.:(

And actually, in the comics I was not a fan of the mohawk helmet. I much preferred her without, but now... Oh Lordy! It looks awesome!! I am so glad they kept it and have worked it in so much.

As to acting chomps or charisma, I didn't see the Room but she was given an Oscar for her performance in that and I did see her in Kong, Skull Island, where I thought she did great - but did not get an Oscar...:ohmy: We have to keep in mind that trailers are only quick glimpses of the film, with entire scenes cut and chopped and dialog sometimes mangled out of context. So far, I'm not having any major problems with her line delivery. And she even smiled after one!:yahoo:

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

This is older than CGI helmets though, since I remember noticing the same thing about the Power Rangers, and how they never put on or took off their helmets on-camera (that I remember, anyway).  CGI just lets you bypass the physical limitations of getting the helmet on and fastened while filming.

Only once I believe, when Tommy first revealed himself as the white ranger to the rest

7 hours ago, Thom said:

My only fault with the 'whizz-tech' helmet is that we'll never see her with it tucked under her arm, unless it's an action figure.:(

*cough* Way ahead of you there.

CAPTAIN-MARVEL-MOVIE-CAPTAIN-MARVEL-STAR

15 hours ago, Thom said:

And actually, in the comics I was not a fan of the mohawk helmet. I much preferred her without, but now... Oh Lordy! It looks awesome!! I am so glad they kept it and have worked it in so much.

As to acting chomps or charisma, I didn't see the Room but she was given an Oscar for her performance in that and I did see her in Kong, Skull Island, where I thought she did great - but did not get an Oscar...:ohmy: We have to keep in mind that trailers are only quick glimpses of the film, with entire scenes cut and chopped and dialog sometimes mangled out of context. So far, I'm not having any major problems with her line delivery. And she even smiled after one!:yahoo:

Jennifer Lawrence won an Oscar too, she sucks as Mystique.  Oscar performances don't prove you'll have the Charisma to pull off being a lead in a Comic Book film.