Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

For the record I thought Macross Frontier was lame prior to seeing it and still hold that opinion after seeing it. Loved the mecha designs and music was good but everything else was trash that pandered to the lowest level. Design wise (excluding mecha) this looks worse.

Hmmmmm. I'm not really liking the character & Valk designs. I'll still give it a shot, but i'm a little worried about the direction I THINK this is heading. Then again, the trailer was only a minute or so. I could be completely wrong. We shall see!

Hmmmmm. I'm not really liking the character & Valk designs. I'll still give it a shot, but i'm a little worried about the direction I THINK this is heading. Then again, the trailer was only a minute or so. I could be completely wrong. We shall see!

really!? to each their own of course but personally im liking all of it! The Valks in particular! I guess im excited we are getting some all new content rather than re-watching old stuff over and over or buying repaints of stuff we already have.. :rolleyes: *cough* YF-29 *cough* oh pardon me.. :p:D

really!? to each their own of course but personally im liking all of it! The Valks in particular! I guess im excited we are getting some all new content rather than re-watching old stuff over and over or buying repaints of stuff we already have.. :rolleyes: *cough* YF-29 *cough* oh pardon me.. :p:D

You know what spanner, that might actually explain some of the hostility that has been going on in this thread. Everybody is Macross starved! They just want to see a good Macross show after years without new contents. Some felt disappointed because it's not the Macross they grew up with, others defend it to the death because...well, let's face it..this is all they're gonna get for the next X amount of years. Being Macross fan is suffering. :p

As for me, shows like this are usually nothing but toy commercials anyway. So, I'm just here for the toys. :rolleyes:

Edited by Reaction Warhead

Whether I like it or not (and I'm pretty sure I will... I like pretty much everything Macross, except FB7... And even that was almost saved by the final concert scene and the blu-ray extras), I hope it's a massive hit.

At the very least, with Thomas Romain doing the "world design," it should be interesting to look at.

It is rather difficult to foresee a Stand Alone Complex or 2ndGig or even Arise levels of awesome from what was shown in the Delta trailer with regards to the characters and their designs...

I thought the forward-swept wings was only for the VF with a 9 at the end. Like VF-9, VF-19 and VF-29.

Yep he's broken tradition. If only he would break from the forward swept wings for a time, it would be nice.

Trailer averaging about 1000 views an hour. That's good.

But you just know HG would like to get their slimy hands on it. That's bad.

LOL, they've been trying since Mac Zero and have seen epic failures due to smart tactics from BW. Subbing the Frontier BD's in English was a very good idea that I truly hope they continue. Westerners can import Japanese videos without any interference from HG. It's the law! :D

Edited by Zinjo

You've spoken to Flying Dog about this? Somebody might want to let them know that they aren't making money on music anymore, and should stick to advertising. The truth is, they (assuming you're talking about Satelight, the subsidiary of Sankyo) do make money off of the toys, music, and whatnot. They license the toys out to Bandai, who gives them money as a sponsor of the show, which funds production. The music is given to Flying Dog (the anime music label of Victor), in which they make CDs. I don't know through which venue, or how much money there is, but through all of it, there is money being made. This is how Frontier was done, and while it may not be every person's favorite series, it did extremely well. So well, in fact that even two months before the first episode airs on New Years Eve, there is still Macross Frontier merchandise being made and sold.

Speaking of Macross Frontier, is it just me, or does this seem like a repeat of the same comments we heard before that came out? It is a business, and people don't go into business to lose money. If this sells, the mission is accomplished. I'm hoping for a great story, and if it is, that will be the biggest hurdle for me to get over. The mecha designs seem to hold up well, the characters, love them or hate them, seem like most of the other stuff, but that's what's selling. Give or take, if anyone is hinging on that alone, you may need to start looking now for another hobby, or buy up all the classic anime titles. Not trying to sound harsh, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular in this paragraph, it's just the classic MW.com panic button going off well premature.

There is an article with the President of Satellite about their business model floating around. They are one of the few Anime houses who do not license existing manga properties and create original works so they can maximize their revenue streams. If a studio does license a manga or book property a fair portion of that studio's revenue goes to the "author" of the original work. Their business plan is very smart.

Edited by Zinjo

Whether I like it or not (and I'm pretty sure I will... I like pretty much everything Macross, except FB7... And even that was almost saved by the final concert scene and the blu-ray extras), I hope it's a massive hit.

At the very least, with Thomas Romain doing the "world design," it should be interesting to look at.

Romain's involvement explains the unique castle and urban environments we saw. Maybe the world population is actually indigenous. A "found" culture seeded by the PC's in ages past who have little interest in associating with humanity. They are apparently located in a remote area of the galaxy, very much like the location of Earth when compared to the galactic core.

The mystery deepens...

Edited by Zinjo

You know what spanner, that might actually explain some of the hostility that has been going on in this thread. Everybody is Macross starved! They just want to see a good Macross show after years without new contents. Some felt disappointed because it's not the Macross they grew up with, others defend it to the death because...well, let's face it..this is all they're gonna get for the next X amount of years. Being Macross fan is suffering. :p

As for me, shows like this are usually nothing but toy commercials anyway. So, I'm just here for the toys. :rolleyes:

I'm only here for the mecha, cool VF combat scenes and the toys.

I have to whole hardheartedly agree! on a percentage scale, for me generally following Macross is 75% for the Valkyrie toys and 25% for the actually anime series.. Sometimes it feels as high as 95% - 5% as im not always watching the anime but having my Valkyrie on display in my actual living space I do get to enjoy them on a daily basis.

So yeah im here for the Valks!

There is an article with the President of Satellite about their business model floating around. They are one of the few Anime houses who do not license existing manga properties and create original works so they can maximize their revenue streams. If a studio does license a manga or book property a fair portion of that studio's revenue goes to the "author" of the original work. Their business plan is very smart.

Just to clarify, that was in reference to their original IP though. Macross is not, so that article has actually little bearing on JaconC's points.

It was certainly a good article though!

After watching the trailer I thought the general tone of it was very bleak. Especially with the background music. Since this is all the information I've got at the moment (didn't read the trailer summary yet) I would assume that this is a dark and mature show that deals with serious topics. I honestly don't get a happy-go-lucky vibe from it.

Of course the character designs are what is popular these days but I think the makers of the show aiming for a broad audience (which is good for the Macross brand). I think the character design looks ok. I could do with a more grown-up approach but this is no Lucky Star so it could be way worse in that regard.

I looking forward to the show and hope someone will fan-sub it (fast). I also hope this is going to be a big hit so we can get a second season out of it. If it sells well enough we might even get a grimdark OVA. ^_^

"WALKURIE! Walkurie! Just gimme your kiiiiissss!"

*cough*

So, is the new Macros about pretty cosplay girls versus smelly, disgusting boys?

Suddenly a cross-dressing emo with a pony-tail seems like a step up.

Nice :)

But I'm definitely let down by the trailer. Which is ironic as I can forgive mac7 its excesses. But it looks like Macross has now become as generic an anime as they come.

I really hope the puny, atrophic arms of the Siegfried isn't because it's being piloted by girls.

Sigh...how many times do I need to point out that the idol girls ARENT the VF-31 pilots?

Not to mention the fact that most people are making judgements on a 90 second teaser with explicitly stated unfinished animation in it? There was 43 minutes of context and discussion leading up to that teaser. But apparently no one watched the actual live stream. (p_-)

Sigh...how many times do I need to point out that the idol girls ARENT the VF-31 pilots?

Not to mention the fact that most people are making judgements on a 90 second teaser with explicitly stated unfinished animation in it? There was 43 minutes of context and discussion leading up to that teaser. But apparently no one watched the actual live stream. (p_-)

The real question here is why aren't the girls singing Valkyrie pilots? I had my bets on Jamming Birds 2.0 with less annoying U.N.SPACY pilots focusing exclusively on the idols.

Ok, a few points explicitly stated in the Delta presentation that people seem to misunderstand.

1)The girls are NOT pilots. The do not sing while they fly. They support the pilots with their singing. We do not yet know WHO the pilots of the VF-31 squad are or HOW the girls support them (the talks do not appear to be dual cockpit either).
2)The males are NOT a band or idols. They are a group of pilots. Nowhere has it been stated that they sing.
3)The director stated that the main characters may not even (all) be in the two images released today. There's a lot more to be revealed yet.
4)Kawamori noted that there's no scenes in the teaser where the girls are actually doing their thing and that there's a lot regarding this that has yet to be revealed.

Thank you. I feel like making this my signature.

Wild guess: the NUNS show up on the planet as a defensive force against... something... and come into conflict with the local colonial government (monarchy?) that doesn't want them there. Seems topical and could fit what we've seen so far.

The Knights of Wind have a monarchy kind of vibe, and Sketchleys translation of the details around the fighters imply they are the aggressors from off world. i think its a colonial dispute, and being handled between worlds. Not to say we won't see NUNS at some stage, but I'll be surprised if they have much screen time.

What's with Macross and Thursdays?!?

@ all those cursing not being in Japan: despite being here, work like totally prevented me from catching any of the live streaming stuff. >.<;;;

Anywho... translations of the blurbs that were thrown up on the official website:

VF-31 Siegfried: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VF-31/VF-31.php

Sv-262 Draken III: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Sv262/Sv-262.php

Not much, but they do add a few more tantalizing clues about the series.

neat details on the armaments there. Thanks! :)

Agreed, just saw a better pic and I thought dragon as well.

I kinda thought it was a Unicorn with dragon wings, but i could be way off. The horse is running forward, the wings spread on either side.

This is what bums me out so much about how terrible the Frontier movies are. They could have been like "Yay, we get to make some OVAs where we can take things seriously and do what WE want." Instead they made extravagant music videos and didn't clean up the story particularly well. I hope this new series is super popular as that's good for all Macross and if they get another chance at doing some OVAs, I hope we get a better effort.

I actually prefer the Frontier films. With the exception of Michaels immortality i prefer them to the series in almost every way.

You've spoken to Flying Dog about this? Somebody might want to let them know that they aren't making money on music anymore, and should stick to advertising. The truth is, they (assuming you're talking about Satelight, the subsidiary of Sankyo) do make money off of the toys, music, and whatnot. They license the toys out to Bandai, who gives them money as a sponsor of the show, which funds production. The music is given to Flying Dog (the anime music label of Victor), in which they make CDs. I don't know through which venue, or how much money there is, but through all of it, there is money being made. This is how Frontier was done, and while it may not be every person's favorite series, it did extremely well. So well, in fact that even two months before the first episode airs on New Years Eve, there is still Macross Frontier merchandise being made and sold.

Speaking of Macross Frontier, is it just me, or does this seem like a repeat of the same comments we heard before that came out? It is a business, and people don't go into business to lose money. If this sells, the mission is accomplished. I'm hoping for a great story, and if it is, that will be the biggest hurdle for me to get over. The mecha designs seem to hold up well, the characters, love them or hate them, seem like most of the other stuff, but that's what's selling. Give or take, if anyone is hinging on that alone, you may need to start looking now for another hobby, or buy up all the classic anime titles. Not trying to sound harsh, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular in this paragraph, it's just the classic MW.com panic button going off well premature.

Yep.

I'm only here for the mecha, cool VF combat scenes and the toys.

That surprises me. You don't like the non-mecha side of the show? That's... a lot of the shows.

ame="Karaoke Ninja" post="1232820" timestamp="1446175010"]You'll always have Robotech.[/quote

I wish I had a real Macross sequel, instead of a Sakura Card Captors one...thats all.

I don't even know what that means.

Edited by Scream Man

Romain's involvement explains the unique castle and urban environments we saw. Maybe the world population is actually indigenous. A "found" culture seeded by the PC's in ages past who have little interest in associating with humanity. They are apparently located in a remote area of the galaxy, very much like the location of Earth when compared to the galactic core.

The mystery deepens...

Not so little that they get Overtech. It would be interesting to see UNG/NUNG policies of uplifting other humanoid races. With Zola they get military surplus and monkey models they can develop themselves. Zolans prefer to be retro with their tech as to be in harmony with nature.

We do know there are Earth centrist groups like Lactence who would like an Earth hegemony. Their Zentradi chapter FASCES for example under Naresuan holds charismatic influence not only on fellow Zentradi but Humans and Zolans as well.

Such a group would not go well with an independently minded planet with a monarchy or nobility.

These Aerial Knights are using the SV designation for the SV-262 Draken III which isn't seen outside of Vanquish Races with the SV-52 and the old Anti-UN SV-51. While the old UNG did have SV-51 and SV-52 the VF series became the standard designation for the UN Forces and NUNS after Space War 1.

Which makes me think instead of something they got from Earth as a monkey model the SV-262 Draken III is a independently developed by the Kingdom of Wind. Perhaps influenced by Anti-UN ideology of keeping independence.

Also on the PV we see a Macross Quarter class. It doesn't have the logos indicating it is SMS which is a first.

I don't think I said thank you before. As to your statement - it's a very apt point. I, for one, have buggy speakers on my laptop - so I watched it on mute. I wouldn't have understood a damn word anyway. So far, your post has been the only translation of the spoken information that I've seen.

I enjoy being around older people because their tastes are often more refined and matured.

Especially when they swear up and down about how "The Love Boat" is the best sitcom of the 20th century.

And how old Battlestar Galactica is way better than new Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by VF5SS