Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

I read "Natural progression of Valkyries" meaning more thrust generated from the leg engines thus removing the need for two more engines on the wings ala the yf-19 and vf-27, thus reversion back to the YF-24 design.And the micronisation and armaments (moar micro missiles and beam weapons!). But we know this thing's gonna get another fastpack and get EVEN MORE THRUST. You can't have too much thrust unless it turns you into Guld paste, amiright?

Edited by wolfx

Yeah, it was the details of the 30's development I was interested in. It would be interesting to see if Aisha returns, if even as a cameo. She was the one who made the Chronos in the first place. Or other 30 characters for that matter. Just talking out loud.

That would certain be cool, wouldn't it?

Even if there was just a throwaway reference to her :-)

I vote flight school, or another Plus style competition, with the pilots / instructors in the triangle.

Flight school with bleeding edge Valkyrie designs doesn't make a ton of sense. Now if these were veteran pilots in for advanced training (a la FWS)...

I read "Natural progression of Valkyries" meaning more thrust generated from the leg engines thus removing the need for two more engines on the wings ala the yf-19 and vf-27, thus reversion back to the YF-24 design.And the micronisation and armaments (moar micro missiles and beam weapons!). But we know this thing's gonna get another fastpack and get EVEN MORE THRUST. You can't have too much thrust unless it turns you into Guld paste, amiright?

Well you can read into it what you like, but you would be wrong.

He was talking in terms of the way it will transform and how this will be an evolution based on the 25 - 29 - 30 (ie, modern Frontier Valkyries). Just that and nothing more.

Remember, Kawamori designs from an aesthetic base first (from the silhouette - this is a design principle he has followed since his earliest days as a volunteer intern at Stufio Nue), mechanical second, and then engineering considerations are often hammered out afterwards.

The man is far more artistically oriented in his design process than engineering oriented, especially at these early stages.

So feel free to think what you like but let's avoid putting words into the man's mouth or presuming intent when there is none, eh?

Edited by Tochiro

I do agree w you on his design process starts aesthetically but I don't think I'll rule out that he didn't consider the technological advancement consideration as part of his design. Based on his talk/panel and interviews it's clear he considers his mecha designs in entirety which means he considers the "world" in which his designs exist. Does this mecha require more weapons? Does it require more boosters/rockets? Why? Are the enemy they are fighting fast and agile? He takes all this into consideration and implements it into his design. And this is something he asks everyone on how to design-think and create new IP and new mechanical designs.

That said I was just stating how I interpret it and basically fan-wanking a possible reason why the 4 thruster approach prevalent in frontier era valks was reduced back to two. Kawamori might have an entirely different reason (example the setting requires the valk to be used mostly in atmospheric flight only) or any other reason. Hardly putting anything in the man's mouth. As a fan I'm just having fun guessing the reasons. Maybe there might not be any at all but that doesn't mean I can't have my fun thoughts. Besides I give kawamori enough credit especially after listening to his lecture that the man has reasons on why and how he designs his mecha.

And after having been to his lectures and spent a bunch of time recently getting a personal tour of his exhibit with the man himself, after which we discussed stealth in Valkyrie design, I think I have as much of a grasp on his design philosophy as anyone else.

And I give the man the respect he is due by sticking the the facts and what he says without resorting to 'fan-wank.'

I take the time and effort I do to report these facts so that fan-wank isn't necessary.

At least ask the man before resorting to such.

As I said, there was absolutely NOTHING in his language, nuance or context that would lead one to speculate like that.

If you insist on doing so regarding news I translate and report then what's the use in me doing it at all?

I might as well just stop providing information for the fans here altogether.

Edited by Tochiro

I do agree w you on his design process starts aesthetically but I don't think I'll rule out that he didn't consider the technological advancement consideration as part of his design. Based on his talk/panel and interviews it's clear he considers his mecha designs in entirety which means he considers the "world" in which his designs exist. Does this mecha require more weapons? Does it require more boosters/rockets? Why? Are the enemy they are fighting fast and agile? He takes all this into consideration and implements it into his design. And this is something he asks everyone on how to design-think and create new IP and new mechanical designs.

That said I was just stating how I interpret it and basically fan-wanking a possible reason why the 4 thruster approach prevalent in frontier era valks was reduced back to two. Kawamori might have an entirely different reason (example the setting requires the valk to be used mostly in atmospheric flight only) or any other reason. Hardly putting anything in the man's mouth. As a fan I'm just having fun guessing the reasons. Maybe there might not be any at all but that doesn't mean I can't have my fun thoughts. Besides I give kawamori enough credit especially after listening to his lecture that the man has reasons on why and how he designs his mecha.

You can fan-wank all you want, but if Tochiro says that Kawamori was talking about the transformation ability, then he was. Which should end any speculation that he was actually talking about engines.

The thing to keep in mind is that quote is from Tochiro explaining what he heard from a panel that he personally attended. It is putting words in his mouth. Tochiro is right here, and he is the only person who can explain what he meant by it.

If you told someone something face to face, and they started to go off and explain what you what you really meant (instead of really listening to you or asking for clarification), you'd get pretty annoyed, right?

And if it kept happening over and over, wouldn't you end up wanting to avoid talking to that person at all?

Edited by HannouHeiki

That would certain be cool, wouldn't it?

Even if there was just a throwaway reference to her :-)

Yeah, anything acknowledged is always great from a fan point of view. Just knowing Isamu is alive and well, flying for the S.M.S., was awesome. In reality it was a microscopic cameo that had zero effect on the events of the movie. It is just fun to know he is alive and doing what he loves.

And after having been to his lectures and spent a bunch of time recently getting a personal tour of his exhibit with the man himself, after which we discussed stealth in Valkyrie design, I think I have as much of a grasp on his design philosophy as anyone else.

And I give the man the respect he is due by sticking the the facts and what he says without resorting to 'fan-wank.'

I take the time and effort I do to report these facts so that fan-wank isn't necessary.

At least ask the man before resorting to such.

As I said, there was absolutely NOTHING in his language, nuance or context that would lead one to speculate like that.

If you insist on doing so regarding news I translate and report then what's the use in me doing it at all?

I might as well just stop providing information for the fans here altogether.

I misread your sentence "He was talking in terms of the way it will transform and how this will be an evolution based on the 25 - 29 - 30 " to mean the evolution in general. Not just the transformation. Anyway, my bad. Carry on with your reports. :)

The thing to keep in mind is that quote is from Tochiro explaining what he heard from a panel that he personally attended. It is putting words in his mouth. Tochiro is right here, and he is the only person who can explain what he meant by it.

If you told someone something face to face, and they started to go off and explain what you what you really meant (instead of really listening to you or asking for clarification), you'd get pretty annoyed, right?

And if it kept happening over and over, wouldn't you end up wanting to avoid talking to that person at all?

I understand how I might have come across as guessing what Kawamori meant despite first hand news. That wasn't my intent. Anwyay now that I understand Tochiro meant he was talking evolution purely on the transformation then, ok. Let's just leave it at that. ;) My bad.

You can fan-wank all you want, but if Tochiro says that Kawamori was talking about the transformation ability, then he was. Which should end any speculation that he was actually talking about engines.

I misread his report. That wasn't my intention and it is not my place to doubt Tochiro's report/confirmation if he said it was as such. Carry on. :)

Edited by wolfx

He was talking in terms of the way it will transform and how this will be an evolution based on the 25 - 29 - 30 (ie, modern Frontier Valkyries). Just that and nothing more.

Remember, Kawamori designs from an aesthetic base first (from the silhouette - this is a design principle he has followed since his earliest days as a volunteer intern at Stufio Nue), mechanical second, and then engineering considerations are often hammered out afterwards.

The man is far more artistically oriented in his design process than engineering oriented, especially at these early stages.

So feel free to think what you like but let's avoid putting words into the man's mouth or presuming intent when there is none, eh?

Well that comment regarding aesthetics first followed by mechanical transformations confirms what I've believed when I consider the VF-4 and VF-9 valk designs. Thanks for the insight.

The notion of VF vs VF combat has been a trend in Macross since M+ really. M7 featured it, M0, MF to a lesser extent. It is far more visually exciting than fighting battle pods, alien entities and even the Q-Rau (though the Q-Rau has to be one of the most exciting Zentradi mecha shown). The VF combat sequences in M0 were amazing and it allowed Kawamori to really explore the full capabilities of the fighters with all those moving parts. So I am expecting some truly epic dogfights in this series. However if this series is going to be primarily set planetside, I am not so sure we'll see as many bolt on misson packs like we saw with Frontier, but I may be corrected when the show actually airs.

Edited by Zinjo

Anime News Network 24 hours behind Tochiro. :) We get the best service hear.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-27/macross-creator-kawamori-offers-details-on-macross-delta-anime-thunderbirds/.93436

I'm stoked about the hinted Valk vs. Valk emphasis. Could this mean no aliens this time around?

Edited by Marzan

I was under the impression that he placed more emphasis on the mechanical aspect for the YF-30 (and by extension, the Frontier valks) and had someone else complete the aircraft's aesthetics/styling. Is this a translation error? He did mention something about designing using 3d prototyping nowadays; his Legos.

Edited by neoexcaliber

I misread your sentence "He was talking in terms of the way it will transform and how this will be an evolution based on the 25 - 29 - 30 " to mean the evolution in general. Not just the transformation. Anyway, my bad. Carry on with your reports. :)

I understand how I might have come across as guessing what Kawamori meant despite first hand news. That wasn't my intent. Anwyay now that I understand Tochiro meant he was talking evolution purely on the transformation then, ok. Let's just leave it at that. ;) My bad.

I misread his report. That wasn't my intention and it is not my place to doubt Tochiro's report/confirmation if he said it was as such. Carry on. :)

It's all good, I think you were just high on excitement. We all are!

Since the series is called Delta and the setting is a planet it is probably the same world Isamu got assigned to twice.

According to his record in Macross Plus.
http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2035
http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2039

July 28, 2035

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in the Delta War.

June 18, 2039

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in the Delta War II.

Other wars Isamu participated in.

February 13, 2036

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in the Planet Avemaria Dispute.

August 9, 2036

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in the Planet Hydra Civil War.

June 7, 2037

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in UN Revolution War.

May 25, 2038

Isamu Alva Dyson participates in Planet Salvation War.

Isamu is a trouble magnet isn't he? No wonder he gets punted one assignment to another.

So we may be seeing Delta War III in Macross Delta.

Edited by RedWolf

Do we really know if it's pronounced "Delta" yet?

No it's pronounced deru-ta, I kid you.

But back to probable storyline, I'm thinking of New UN Spacy vs anti UN (supposedly still active) mainly due to the design of the draken valk, that bears no resemblence to known UN design (please correct me if I'm wrong) while the blue and white valk is "the natural progression" of current valks would likely mean that it's a follow on valks of current ones, seeing how continuity in design in macross verse is maintained (vf-0 to vf-1, yf-19 to vf-19, vf-17 to vf-171) at least that's what I imagine.

Regardless, the prospect of vf vs vf and the possibility of planet bound dogfight brings back fun memories of those dogfight scenes from macross zero, so bring it on.

Keep up the good work tochiro, I personally find your report refreshing.

Well if it is multiple faction VF competition or conflict, then they are trying to go with nation specific fighters like real life fighter planes and Muv Luv.

But then the numbering system would be stuffed up.

Previously we've had VF-0 vs SV-51(F-15 vs Su-27), YF-19 vs YF-22 (RL YF-22 vs YF-23), and then a brief rivalry between VF-25/29 and VF-27, and VF-25 vs VF-171EX.

Theory: Valks are now the idols and are smart enough to sing by themselves. CALLING IT!!

Are you talking AI harem kinda like Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio (of Blue Steel)? Cause I would be ok with that.

Takao is best boat, BTW. Jury still out on best valk.

I think there is a fourth pillar of Macross that isn't talked about like the main three that might play a big part in Delta; subversion, or a theme of going against expectations.

I don't think subversion can be a theme in and of itself. Besides, Macross Plus did that with the reverse love triangle.

Are you talking AI harem kinda like Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio (of Blue Steel)? Cause I would be ok with that.

Takao is best boat, BTW. Jury still out on best valk.

Kirishima is best boat bear.

(brings a whole new definition to "shipping", though)