BANDAI 1/100 VF-19 Variable Model Kit

modelglue

Hey guys, I am wondering who has experience with this kit:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=BANDAI+1/100+VF-19+Variable+Model+Kit&hl=en-GB&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5tI9VN7nOtCuyATjgYLIAQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ

I am wondering if it is on par with their YF-29 snap fit kit as far as details go. This is a transformable kit, as far as I can see, and so it would be a huge bonus if it was detailed nicely to go along with the gimmicks.

I would like to do a conversion for the 1/72 Hasegawa YF-19 model kit, and I want to use a VF-19Kai kit as the basis.

Thanks for any comments.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I bought a 1/72 Yamato VF-19 ver. 3 for the same purposes I stated, but next to a hasegawa model of the like, it looks much too chunky and the design has been crushed to allow for a utilitarian transformation. I expect that the departure from the original anime aesthetics is necessary, if only to aid in durability.

Hey guys, I am wondering who has experience with this kit:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=BANDAI+1/100+VF-19+Variable+Model+Kit&hl=en-GB&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5tI9VN7nOtCuyATjgYLIAQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ

I am wondering if it is on par with their YF-29 snap fit kit as far as details go. This is a transformable kit, as far as I can see, and so it would be a huge bonus if it was detailed nicely to go along with the gimmicks.

Those kits are in two completely different classes. I've built Bandai's 1/100 VF-19 Kai and its fighter mode is very poor. While its details are average, there are lots of noticable gaps and the leg attachment is an eyesore. Battroid mode is what this kit does best. If you sand down the battroid's torso and apply a nice paint job, it could actually look decent. Something else to note is that the stock stickers are awful. They're made of foil, and pretty thick too.

Here are some good pics of this kit. Though, it's a straight build; no paint or detailing was applied (aside from the stickers).

http://www.geocities.jp/lifezoids/VF-19.htm

I would like to do a conversion for the 1/72 Hasegawa YF-19 model kit, and I want to use a VF-19Kai kit as the basis.

While I don't have Hasegawa's 1/72 YF-19 kit, I doubt any of Bandai's 1/100 parts would fit, even with a good amount of kitbashing.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Thanks very much for sharing that. I can see the gulf in difference between the two.

I dont plan on kit bashing the two, i just wanted to use the 1/100 as a reference point to design a battroid. Even with the pics you supplied I highly doubt I would have much success with trying to use it as a basis.

Thank LW!

I dont plan on kit bashing the two, i just wanted to use the 1/100 as a reference point to design a battroid.

Ah, I see what you're trying to do now, my mistake. :)

Actually, there's already a battroid conversion kit for Hasegawa's YF-19. Check it out below.

http://gokigenn.exblog.jp/i8/

Regrettably, its proportions look a little wonky to me. And if you keep scrolling down, it looks like very little was recycled from the stock YF-19; most of the parts look like they were scratch built for the conversion. I don't know if that was purely an aesthetic choice, or if the sculptor felt there was no other way to pull it off.

Awesome link, thanks for sharing. I have tried to get my hands on that kit before now, but with no luck.

It's nice to see the process behind what was done to create that version, the engines are very nice. The feet I think are what is wrong, since they are off the plastic kit it looks like, and I knew I would have to address that issue too, should I make a kit.