Finally saw it over the weekend, and was a little disappointed. Overall it was good, but there was too much shaky-cam so the action scenes didn't measure up to Winter Soldier for me. Also, given my limited experience with comics, I went into the movie just knowing what the Wikipedia site said about the Civil War comic run... I know the movies follow a different track, but this version didn't seem to grasp the issues as seriously as I hoped it would.

Please forgive the euphemism, but going in, I was firmly prepared to be "Team Cap" with a possibility of changing my mind ("Team Iron Man") depending on how the story went. Instead, it felt like watching a messy breakup, and I think I have to say I'm "Team Spidey" coming out of it.

I just caught this on a long flight so that means on a small screen which I think made all the flaws in the story a lot more obvious. It was fun. I never saw Age of Ultron and without it this movie has sort of a DYRL vibe where you need to make some safe assumptions off the bat. The Ant Man stuff was cheesy fun, so was the spidey stuff. The villainous plot was a bit odd. Why was there security footage in the middle of no where? Wasn't the Winter Soldier specifically told to make sure there was no witnesses? Why did the Winter Soldier face a camera to shoot it? Was this before anyone knew how cameras worked? How did Helmut know that Cap'n was in love with the Winter Soldier? How did Helmut know that the Winter Soldier originally performed the hit? How did Helmut know that Tony Stark didn't know? Why didn't Helmut just send Stark an email with the video footage once he had it? I'm sure there were lots of other little things that were head scratch worthy but probably fewer than the Winter Soldier movie had.

As far as the cameras go you would be surprised how many people don't realize that ther are cameras on streets and buildings both public and private. At the office I work at we always get some great shows of public stupidity and even the local p.d. get caught on cameras they asked to have installed. It's like they sometimes know they're there, but forget at crucial moments.

I'm not sure on the exact location of that wooded road, but similar roads near parks and schools do have cameras. Sometimes they are monitored and other times they are for speed traps and are triggered by motion. There are even some set up by nature lovers and conservationists with permission from the government for watching animal crossings and other odd things. Some of those cameras have been around for decades, but most have been more recent like from the 90's.

I just caught this on a long flight so that means on a small screen which I think made all the flaws in the story a lot more obvious. It was fun. I never saw Age of Ultron and without it this movie has sort of a DYRL vibe where you need to make some safe assumptions off the bat. The Ant Man stuff was cheesy fun, so was the spidey stuff. The villainous plot was a bit odd. Why was there security footage in the middle of no where? Wasn't the Winter Soldier specifically told to make sure there was no witnesses? Why did the Winter Soldier face a camera to shoot it? Was this before anyone knew how cameras worked? How did Helmut know that Cap'n was in love with the Winter Soldier? How did Helmut know that the Winter Soldier originally performed the hit? How did Helmut know that Tony Stark didn't know? Why didn't Helmut just send Stark an email with the video footage once he had it? I'm sure there were lots of other little things that were head scratch worthy but probably fewer than the Winter Soldier movie had.

If you start critically looking at this movie it won't hold up. Just shut as much of your body down as possible and enjoy the pointless comic-book style violence...

Haven't seen the film, but that's the exact same problem every shrinking technology on screen has had, from Honey I Shrunk the Kids to Ant-Man. They're seemingly only reducing the empty space between particles. Fine, but empty space has no mass, so Ant-Man is going around being half an inch tall but still weighing 175. The only surface he should be able to walk on without falling through is, um, something really really strong and dense.

Unless the Pym particle does something I'm not aware of.

How did Helmut know that Cap'n was in love with the Winter Soldier?

Cap's childhood friendship with Bucky Barnes is no secret. There's an exhibit at the smithsonian about it after all. The info on Bucky actually being the Winter Soldier is something he would have found out from decrypting the SHIELD/Hydra files Widow released

Why didn't Helmut just send Stark an email with the video footage once he had it?

The footage was at the base in Siberia. So the answer is, by the time he had it, Stark and Cap had already shown up

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...