Hasegawa 1:4000 SDF-1 (DYRL)

CF18

Another thing that has helped me from time to time is Google's translation app. Just snap a photo of the text and you can translate it to English.

Sure, it still suffers from being a Google translation; but it's usually enough to give you the gist of the little notations, when you can't figure it out from the picture.

+1

Killer

Is this your first kit from this Japanese company? If you're new to models I'd suggest trying a cheaper kit of the same brand to get your feet wet. I messed up my first kit cuz I thought it wad like the bandai kits.

Sorry I'm new here.

Someone just gave me this as a present and will like to know if that are any manuals for it in English.

See my reply above Edited by beatsing

• 2 weeks later...

You don't actually have to *buy* a different kit to get a translation guide for the instructions - pretty much all Hasegawa kits except for anime ones come with English instructions, and they're available online from sites like Hobby Search (1999.co.jp/eng/). All the symbols are common between all kit instructions, it's just that with the Anime kits, they don't generally bother with printing out the English explanation or info boxes.

Most of the time, the instructions are fairly self-explanatory, as well.

Also, the most common problem people have is not knowing what the colors mean. Hasegawa kits *always* use Gunze Sangyo Mr Color in the instructions, and there are paint conversion tables available online from a few different places and to pretty much every other brand. The only irritating parts about that is that Macross kits in particular often need mixed colors - the blue gray used on VF-25 super parts for example does not exist as a bottled paint, it's a mix of something like four parts blue and one part gray if I remember correctly.

You don't actually have to *buy* a different kit to get a translation guide for the instructions - pretty much all Hasegawa kits except for anime ones come with English instructions, and they're available online from sites like Hobby Search (1999.co.jp/eng/).

Which sadly rules out Macross :(

If you have a scanner for your pc and some OCR software you can scan the text and then bung it into google for a yoda style translation.

That said as Sebastian says most Hasegawa stuff is universal with its symbols, and paint conversions to Tamiya or Humbrol etc are easily done.

The only irritating parts about that is that Macross kits in particular often need mixed colors - the blue gray used on VF-25 super parts for example does not exist as a bottled paint, it's a mix of something like four parts blue and one part gray if I remember correctly.

I actually really appreciate that they went to the trouble to (presumably) develop and test these color combinations to match the animation / line art / whatever research material they used. I will happily follow these formulas to save me the trouble of figuring them out myself!

Which sadly rules out Macross :(

If you have a scanner for your pc and some OCR software you can scan the text and then bung it into google for a yoda style translation.

That said as Sebastian says most Hasegawa stuff is universal with its symbols, and paint conversions to Tamiya or Humbrol etc are easily done.

Meh, the only text in the instructions for a typical Hasegawa VF kit that isn't completely obvious what it means from context is the background blurb with the stat block on the front, and the stuff about where to order replacement parts, which doesn't apply outside Japan anyway. The rest of it is basically just writing out what symbols like "cut this part off", "drill hole here", "apply decal number XX in this spot" and "repeat on the other side" mean, and they're all really really obvious if you've ever built any plastic model from Japan before, or if you just look at the freely available instructions for any other Hasegawa kit online.

And as I said earlier, the names for the colors used in the paint guide, but the important part of the color guide is the numbers and those you can basically google with something like "Mr Color 33".

I actually really appreciate that they went to the trouble to (presumably) develop and test these color combinations to match the animation / line art / whatever research material they used. I will happily follow these formulas to save me the trouble of figuring them out myself!

I wish they'd just give up and bottle the finished mixes instead of forcing me to buy two bottles I'll never use for anything else, and which don't mix 50/50 so I can't just dump one in the other and have done with it... Or prevail on Kawamori to stick to colors that exist in their color range. :)

Edited by SebastianP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are those for the cruiser or the attacker?

^ What he asked.

Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm just guessing that this is probably for the Cruiser Mode based on the katakana/kanji captions found on the TagHobby link that I've posted above which is:

SDF-1 マクロス要塞艦 ディテールアップ エッチングパーツ (SDF-1 Macross Fortress Ship Detail Up Etching Parts)

I have both modes of the Hasegawa's 1/4000 SDF-1 kits. And on the side panel of the boxes, the Attack Mode has this 'マクロス艦'. Whereas the Cruiser Mode has this 'マクロス要塞艦'.

I could be wrong though. But I think even if this is for the Cruiser Mode, most of them can still be used on the Attack Mode since both of them share the same parts, right? Or just wait until they make an announcement for the Attack Mode down the line.

I'm just guessing that this is probably for the Cruiser Mode based on the katakana/kanji captions found on the TagHobby link that I've posted above which is:

I have both modes of the Hasegawa's 1/4000 SDF-1 kits. And on the side panel of the boxes, the Attack Mode has this 'マクロス艦'. Whereas the Cruiser Mode has this 'マクロス要塞艦'.

I could be wrong though. But I think even if this is for the Cruiser Mode, most of them can still be used on the Attack Mode since both of them share the same parts, right? Or just wait until they make an announcement for the Attack Mode down the line.

Partially correct:

マクロス要塞艦 = ship form (Macross Fortress Ship)

マクロス強攻型 = humanoid form (Macross Storming Attack Form)*

* Sometimes lazy typers who can't be bothered to check their typing write it as 強行型 (Forced Form :lol: ).

They're probably going to make the TV Attack Mode first before producing the Etching Parts for both Attack Modes.

Well fine then, if you're going to be LOGICAL about it... :D

Well fine then, if you're going to be LOGICAL about it... :D

Well, I'm just basing it off from Hasegawa's product info on their website. It says it's for the Fortress both Movie and TV version. So like you said I think it's just LOGICAL for them to release the other Attack mode before making an etching part for it. Don't you think so? :lol:

Well, I'm just basing it off from Hasegawa's product info on their website. It says it's for the Fortress both Movie and TV version. So like you said I think it's just LOGICAL for them to release the other Attack mode before making an etching part for it. Don't you think so? :lol:

So what you're really saying is: I'm going to have to buy another Hase SDF-1... :D

Edited by slide

So what you're really saying is: I'm going to have to buy another Hase SDF-1... :D

Uhm, no. That's up to you. But why would you buy another kit when all I just said is they might release the other Attack mode which is the TV version kit first before producing those etching parts. Just like killing two birds with one stone.

I'm gonna have to buy it because I already have the other three ;) ... I'm a Sci-fi model addict. Can't not have the fourth! lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is that going to be a limited run or something like that? Or will the PE set be easily available? (HLJ etc)

Well, what d'ya know! It's already up at HLJ for Y1760. Though it's still says October release. ;)

Anyone, care to enlighten me again. We just need one for both Fortress kits, right? No need to buy two?

Edited by no3Ljm

Looks like there's parts for the TV & Movie styles, but not enough to apply to two separate models. You'll have to pick one.

Honestly, I'd just want it for the radar array, but I might try to print something on the Form2 when the time comes.

Ok. So basically, we need to buy two if you want to utilize every PE parts on the two Fortress kits. Thanks. :)

• 2 months later...