After reading some of the comments in the Southern Cross topic and thinking for a while. For the first time I came to the conclusion or perhaps realization that a lot of the anime I like might be past its selling point for most. I grew up with this stuff and it’s still cool to me. Sometimes it feels like yesterday even though it was back in the 80s or early 90s. I still want items from these shows but the majority either don’t or grew out of it. Which is sad because current technology allows many anime toys, models, and figures to be produced at high quality. I even came up with a new project idea while thinking about one of these older anime shows.

To me Southern Cross is great. I still want a hovertank, hovercycle, and Dana figure. I was listening to the music from Zillion and remembered that we never got the full series over here. I only have some of the VHS tapes. Something happened to my SEGA Master System games. I need to get them again.

I still want well done Dangaio team ships that are transformable with fairly detailed figures. Accurate Voltron lions ever since it was mentioned in a topic here. So much should be coming out but it's almost like we get a tease and then a cancellation. I’m still upset about Rook’s cyclone / ride armor. There was a good Noriko kit from Gunbuster that never came out or is so rare I can’t find it. And of course figures of Minmay and others from Macross since the days of unpainted kits being the best you can get are long gone. Do you guys still want this stuff? Or are you satisfied with what we are getting?

Edited by JetJockey

I think I'm past my "Must have wants!" stage, though the odd item will still catch my attention. But I got into anime in the relatively early "Akira" days, and almost all of the information available at the time was through magazines like "Anime UK" or "Animerica". I read about some series for years before I actually got to see them, and the 80s/early 90s is still sort of "my" era of anime. I don't generally keep up with what all the kids are watching these days, though I recently subscribed to Crunchyroll which allows me to at least keep an eye on stuff.

People of my age are, essentially, the "Star Wars" generation of anime and we still see the odd "for us" release (for example, the recent Bandai "Gunbuster"), but lets face it, anime has always been trend driven (I sometimes joke with fellow fans that I recall the days when anime wasn't about mobile phones... :) ) and its a different world now than when a nth-generation VHS copy of "Gundam: 0080" was the only way to get your heart broken by Zaku.

Even so, though... Turn-A Gundam on Blu-Ray. Damn it Bandai, you promised!.

If I have not yet seen a TV show from before 1990 or so I most likely will not find it watchable any longer. This depends on the budget of course. I find it hard to get past the lack of fluidity or detail that such shows had to have in order to be made for a reasonable amount.

Movies from the era and a good bit of the OVA work I occasionally see are still good however.

I have the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray set from the Kickstarter campaign. Volume 4 of the original OVA was my first anime VHS tape and it is barely watchable after all this years.

So I really would like to have a group of nice 1/6 scale Knight Sabers. Die cast metal, highly poseable with effect parts, additional heads, etc.

The other think I would die for would be a nice toy line for the Bismarck tv-series (aka Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs). the Bismark, the protagonists, the vehicles. All as nice high end collectible toys. Oh one can dream. Bismarck was my introduction to anime because Roboteck never run on tv in my country. So you can probably imagine what this show means to me. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

So I really would like to have a group of nice 1/6 scale Knight Sabers. Die cast metal, highly poseable with effect parts, additional heads, etc.

THIS.

THIS.

THIS.

I'd pay good money for a set of 1/6th Knight Sabers.

Do you guys still want this stuff? Or are you satisfied with what we are getting?

There is so much good stuff that CAN be made from so many awesome titles, I can never have enough. It's just that making the stuff is probably considered too risky a venture for an already niche market.

On a related note, it's too bad CM's went belly up as they had plans to make a new TriCharger toy from Akai Koudan Zillion. And I too still shed tears over the ill-fated Beagle Houquet ride armor.

The other think I would die for would be a nice toy line for the Bismarck tv-series (aka Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs). the Bismark, the protagonists, the vehicles. All as nice high end collectible toys. Oh one can dream. Bismarck was my introduction to anime because Roboteck never run on tv in my country. So you can probably imagine what this show means to me. ^_^

I want the Knight Sabers too. I only have Priss from the larger scale release some years ago. I can't remember the company's name. I didn't get the Motoslave set. It just wasn't detailed enough. I thought about the metallic version but as someone here said it was still the same toy in different paint.

I like Saber Rider too. I think the original toys go for a lot now. At least the Bismarck toy. I would go for figures and a good model / toy of Bismarck or Ramrod as they called him here. There is supposed to be a game coming out and there is a new Blu-ray. So maybe we could at least get a figure of April.

They still promised! :)

Who promised?

There is so much good stuff that CAN be made from so many awesome titles, I can never have enough. It's just that making the stuff is probably considered too risky a venture for an already niche market.

On a related note, it's too bad CM's went belly up as they had plans to make a new TriCharger toy from Akai Koudan Zillion. And I too still shed tears over the ill-fated Beagle Houquet ride armor.

I didn't know about a new Zillion toy. I remember you found those old toys. Do you have any of the older, I think Animedia magazines or books? Are they worth picking up?

I picked up volume 1 at the San Diego Comic-Con and then found the other two on sale for 10 bucks each at Books Nippan during the mid-90's. We used to make pilgrimages to Los Angeles a few times a month to cruise the anime and comic shops.

Good times, good times...

tumblr_ncgl72mZpP1rb08tdo1_500.jpg

Yeah same group. I grew up watching Battle of the Planets,Voltron,Robotech,Etc and then went on to buy the $50 VHS tapes for sub 60 minutes of an OVA. I still remember renting Orguss one tape at a time and then I hit that last US Reditions volume and the Comic Book store guy said he can't get anymore. Years later I would learn why. Glad its finally getting a wider US release thanks to Discotek in 2015.

Yeah same group. I grew up watching Battle of the Planets,Voltron,Robotech,Etc and then went on to buy the $50 VHS tapes for sub 60 minutes of an OVA. I still remember renting Orguss one tape at a time and then I hit that last US Reditions volume and the Comic Book store guy said he can't get anymore. Years later I would learn why. Glad its finally getting a wider US release thanks to Discotek in 2015.

I still have my Orgus OVA VHS tapes! I need to find them on DVD/Blu-ray. Discotek huh?

Not a anime topic per se but I would love to have the original cast from Street Fighter 2 as S.H.Figuarts or Figma toys. I know Playarts Kai is doing some but they don't appeal to me.

Right now the line from Prototypez is the best Street Fighter 2 stuff I've seen. They are unpainted statues though. I have Ryu. Waiting for Chun Li. Ken looks awesome too. They are all really well done. Sagat and Blanka too if you like them. The sculptor is the same guy who sculpted a Jim Lee Psylocke for Kotobukiya years ago. She goes for a lot now.

If they made a Riding Bean Road Buster/figure set *HELLO FIGMA* I would make it rain on whatever vendor carried it. Percy and the Shelby Cobra would be a great bonus. Along with the Gunsmith Cats.

I've never seen or read Gunsmith Cats. But when I read the title my mind recalled an old anime with cat girls dancing in front of police officers. I think they were robbing a bank? The cat girls I think were like Felicia from Darkstalkers but this is before Darkstalkers time. Anyone remember this anime? I know the trailer was on one of those old VHS tapes.

Bandai - they announced a western Turn-A Gundam Blu-Ray release, but it disappeared into the void when they wrapped up their US operation. As a bit of a convert to the series, I was... annoyed. :)

Regarding Lum figures, there was a pretty good Figma release a couple years back.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Bubblegum Crisis motoslaves.

I picked up volume 1 at the San Diego Comic-Con and then found the other two on sale for 10 bucks each at Books Nippan during the mid-90's. We used to make pilgrimages to Los Angeles a few times a month to cruise the anime and comic shops.

Good times, good times...

tumblr_ncgl72mZpP1rb08tdo1_500.jpg

I still have these. All three in the hard cases. I read that they changed the music on one of the releases. I hope that's not the case with the new Blu-ray. I intend to get that one day.

$50 for 60 minutes sounds crazy these days. I remember those expensive anime VHS tapes though. Movies were expensive too back then. I've still yet to see Orguss and a few others.

The cat girl anime you're thinking of is Dominion, by Shirow-great manga.

I really dug how quirky the manga and anime were, and Shirow's art and character designs were always great. I bought that VHS for 40 bucks from the now defunct Suncoast Video at my local mall. That strip tease scene with the cops was pretty funny.

Its worth doing so to find out a little bit about where artists can take inspiration from. I was doing the British equivalent of high-school biology then so it was really striking at the time. For the really curious, spoiler alert:

Theres an experimental walking tank in the "Dominion" manga, not the anime, that is in fact based on the shape of a virus called a T-4 Bacteriophage, a virus that preys on bacteria.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Its worth doing so to find out a little bit about where artists can take inspiration from. I was doing the British equivalent of high-school biology then so it was really striking at the time. For the really curious, spoiler alert:

Theres an experimental walking tank in the "Dominion" manga, not the anime, that is in fact based on the shape of a virus called a T-4 Bacteriophage, a virus that preys on bacteria.

Oh cool! I'm gonna have to break out the manga again. :D

Studio Nue had some great anime

Dominion Tank Police

New Dominion Tank Police

Patlabor

Orguss 2

Dirty Pair

I could never get into Patlabor...

I think I found out about Dirty Pair through an issue of Animerica, or maybe it was Protoculture Addicts. Anywho, I never got my hands on a fansub or bootleg. I collected the comics by Adam Warren but those are long gone...

I still have my VHS copies of Orguss 2 but I vaguely remember even watching them.

I even had the first volume of Zillion! I saved up 30 bucks to buy it at my local comic shop. That was my first legit anime purchase and I had to tell my mom I'd borrowed it from a friend so she wouldn't be pissed that I spent all that money on a "cartoon" video.

I watched the 3 episodes of Gunsmith Cats. Pretty fun anime. I'm going to get the manga too. Can't go wrong with Kenichi Sonoda artwork.

The Manga is much better. I did not care for the anime version after reading the Manga.

• 5 months later...

I had a hit of nostalgia again recently with the talk of the Macross diecast figure in the Collectors section. I've been trying to find out which mall I purchased my old toys. If that toy store is still around and what was it called.

Also, this Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray video gave me a hit as well. I'm still not fond of how Animeigo went about this release. But I like this guy's channel and he likes all the classic stuff like Macross and other anime.

I'm glad that the one thing that doesn't seem to have changed over the years is that AnimEigo still stands for quality. I don't have an opinion on how they released the set, but I have one and the "middle episodes" "Moonlight Rambler" and "Red Eyes" almost look like they could have been made ten years ago (it obviously helps that these had a bit of an animation bump compared to previous episodes, but still... ) rather than nearly thirty. I'd sum it up by saying that what they did with this set isn't remastering, its remastery.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I'm glad that the one thing that doesn't seem to have changed over the years is that AnimEigo still stands for quality. I don't have an opinion on how they released the set, but I have one and the "middle episodes" "Moonlight Rambler" and "Red Eyes" almost look like they could have been made ten years ago (it obviously helps that these had a bit of an animation bump compared to previous episodes, but still... ) rather than nearly thirty. I'd sum it up by saying that what they did with this set isn't remastering, its remastery.

Actually, that was a Japanese remaster they used.