Macross Loves Lost!/Past Regrets

macster1971

SM Megamall? Then that toy shop would probably have been on the basement floor. Either Filbar's or the toy shop next to it (Comic Alley?). I don't know if Lil's Hobby Shop carried valks, They focus primarily on Tamiya models, RC's and mini 4wds. They did have some Gundams last time I was there. But no valks. I did get my Gundam markers and some modeling tools from there.

Best place to go in the Philippines for exotic high-end Japanese toys have always been Virra Mall and Shoppesville in Greenhills, in San Juan, Manila. The toy shops there are guaranteed to make your eyes pop. :-)

Even I get lost whenever I visit the malls here. And I'm sober most of the time I go there.

Anyway, as for my part, my only regret is missing out on the heyday of Yamato Toys. I've always wanted toys back when I first saw SDFM back in the 80s, but for some reason or another I never got around to buying any.

Thanks Brouken for the tips on where to go. Thanks Abbadon I don't feel so bad for getting lost lol. It has been about 24 years since I last visited. I need to go there and do some Valkyrie hunting.

The only regret I have was not buying Macross when the V2's were just rolling out. I still remember that I could have gotten the 1S Max or the 1S Low Vis when it just came out and that was about $100 a piece. I decided to not buy and save my money even though I could afford it as I was only a junior college student then. Also at that time, the VF-1s weren't so important to me to collect. No income. Still wished I had jumped and gotten at least the low vis.. :(

But now, starting late last year, I've started collecting after deciding to rewatch Macross sometime last year. At least I came in at a good time where all the reissues are coming.. Happy to say I have most of the valks that I wished to have before. Just missing a 0S!

No problem Valkyrie Magnus. I'll give you a tour of Manila's finest toy shops (and bars and pubs too) if you decide to come back. As for Valkyrie hunting, I think you'll have better luck in Hong Kong, much cheaper too!

Edited by abbadon

No problem Valkyrie Magnus. I'll give you a tour of Manila's finest toy shops (and bars and pubs too) if you decide to come back. As for Valkyrie hunting, I think you'll have better luck in Hong Kong, much cheaper too!

That sounds awesome! Thanks Abbadon! I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Brouken for the tips on where to go. Thanks Abbadon I don't feel so bad for getting lost lol. It has been about 24 years since I last visited. I need to go there and do some Valkyrie hunting.

You're welcome too VM! I'd like to join you and Abaddon if ever you guys go to Hong Kong for toy shopping. :-)

my regret was probably listening to an officemate several years ago when he told me we had to check out this vf-1 reissue on sale at a store. Have never left the collecting hobby ever since. its been fun but expensive. lol

Edited by arrow

Years ago my favorite comics store (Al's in Stockton, CA) had some 1/55 Valks for sale. I was able to buy a 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru (still have it :)) but not the VE-1 or the VT-1. By the time I finally had enough for one, they had sold :(. And I'm still looking for them today. Gotten close a few time but still can't find a complete one, lol.

That sinking feeling when you open the shipping box and realize you received V1 armor parts, not renewal!

At least thats the regretful feeling I've got right now...

I had that feeling once...... told myself it will never happen again. It was approximately a US$110 lesson to learn.

I regret selling my v2 1/60 VF-1S Low Vis for $80 on this board. Funny thing is it took a really long time to sell it, no one wanted it for at least a few months. Now if I was selling it for $80 it'd be gone in no time.

wow! $80 and you still struggled to sell it! It was only fairly recently I paid a small fortune for a low vis but it was worth every penny! No regrets!

Edited by spanner76

• 2 weeks later...

Lol exactly. Great times!!! And lots of good eye candy :D

Hahaha! I kinda miss Manila, even the traffic... Wasn't there also a cool toy store at the fourth floor of Megamall, near the movie theaters and video game arcade?

SM Megamall? Then that toy shop would probably have been on the basement floor. Either Filbar's or the toy shop next to it (Comic Alley?). I don't know if Lil's Hobby Shop carried valks, They focus primarily on Tamiya models, RC's and mini 4wds. They did have some Gundams last time I was there. But no valks. I did get my Gundam markers and some modeling tools from there.

Best place to go in the Philippines for exotic high-end Japanese toys have always been Virra Mall and Shoppesville in Greenhills, in San Juan, Manila. The toy shops there are guaranteed to make your eyes pop. :-)

Great spots to shop for sure! Also goldcrest in makati?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the 80's I used to have a fair few of the ARII model kits which I built, never painted and eventually snapped all the head lasers etc off and then threw out.

Also in 93 or so (?) K-Mart here in Australia had what I can only assume was reissued Matchbox "YouKnowWhat" toys for an absolute pittance and I picked up what worthwhile stuff they had- Battle Pod and pilot figure, an "Officer's Pod", the Tomohawk Destroid, the two Nousjadeul-Gers, and the small SDF in the humanoid configuration...anyways, it all got thrown out a few years later, along with the Matchbox Shock Trooper and large Zentreadi figures I had.

Crumbly V1 VF-25's, I got the G with Supers and S with armor parts. I don't own any renewals because the preorder madness is impossible for me, and the secondary market would gouge me. It almost made me swear off Bandai entirely, but the improvements with the 29 brought me back.

To this day, I regret selling my 1/48 low vis VF-1A, and my 1/48 Hikaru S with strike armor. Being married with the potential to start having a family soon, it's hard to justify dropping $300+ to recover each of them.

(I did finally get my MIB 1/55 bandai strike valkyrie though, so at least I still have that.

Buying a version 2 Hikaru 1A on Amazon and receiving a version 1. Too many sellers post pics of the version 2 not knowing the difference, or worse...knowing the difference.

My response was swift and educational and included the collection dx link to the video comparison of the v2 and v1 and anymoon's threads. I also popped a picture of what I received vs what was pictured.

Edited by sreichma

Buying a version 2 Hikaru 1A on Amazon and receiving a version 1. Too many sellers post pics of the version 2 not knowing the difference, or worse...knowing the difference.

My response was swift and educational and included the collection dx link to the video comparison of the v2 and v1 and anymoon's threads. I also popped a picture of what I received vs what was pictured.

yikes! I couldn't imagine anything more horrifying! :o:(

I have seen a few ebay listings very similar with v2 pose pics and a v1 box shot of the actual item! :wacko: scary stuff!

In the 80's I used to have a fair few of the ARII model kits which I built, never painted and eventually snapped all the head lasers etc off and then threw out.

Also in 93 or so (?) K-Mart here in Australia had what I can only assume was reissued Matchbox "YouKnowWhat" toys for an absolute pittance and I picked up what worthwhile stuff they had- Battle Pod and pilot figure, an "Officer's Pod", the Tomohawk Destroid, the two Nousjadeul-Gers, and the small SDF in the humanoid configuration...anyways, it all got thrown out a few years later, along with the Matchbox Shock Trooper and large Zentreadi figures I had.

Hey, Another Aussie :) Welcome, sir!

I regret the lack of space that made me give up my 1/48's. Ah well, they went to a good home (Exo I think?).

Things I regret not getting cheap at the time:

17D

25S Armour

1/60 v2 M&M's

1/60 v2 Elintseeker

29 Alto Super packs

Now that i finally have one i couldn't imagine letting it go! Its a really nice thing! There are a few still available on Mandarake from 20,000Â¥ which is fairly reasonable..

I've never ordered from Mandarake before and with the holiday in Japan- Im hesitant to order right away.. I did check some of what I wanted out and the prices are amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

I've never ordered from Mandarake before and with the holiday in Japan- Im hesitant to order right away.. I did check some of what I wanted out and the prices are amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey no worries! Ordering from Mandarake is pretty easy and relatively hassle free. The only issue you might have is ordering something that may have already been sold in store and they have not updated or removed the listing for that particular item. This can kinda be like a lottery on more popular/high demand items but most of the time you'll be ok. Ive ordered pretty much year round from Mandarake but it can slow down around this time of the year. Still you shouldn't have any issues placing an order. You might have to wait a few days longer for the order confirmation to come through thats all. And what ever you do dont make too many cancelations! One only at most and only if you really have to.. They might ban you from ordering if you do. When you place an order you can select the option to cancel the order if the item is out of stock, so then if they cancel the order its ok. :)

Edited by spanner76

Hey no worries! Ordering from Mandarake is pretty easy and relatively hassle free. The only issue you might have is ordering something that may have already been sold in store and they have not updated or removed the listing for that particular item. This can kinda be like a lottery on more popular/high demand items but most of the time you'll be ok. Ive ordered pretty much year round from Mandarake but it can slow down around this time of the year. Still you shouldn't have any issues placing an order. You might have to wait a few days longer for the order confirmation to come through thats all. And what ever you do dont make too many cancelations! One only at most and only if you really have to.. They might ban you from ordering if you do. When you place an order you can select the option to cancel the order if the item is out of stock, so then if they cancel the order its ok. :)

Thanks for the info.