a shoutout from an old guy

Skull Leader

Hey Everyone!

I dropped back to "lurker" status somewhere around 2006 after being a charter, hardcore-everyday visiting member since 2000. I'd check in every so often to see how things were going and to keep up with the latest news about my most beloved anime franchise. OCCASIONALLY I'd chime in on something, but largely Ive stayed up in the nosebleed section.

I was thinking earlier about everything that I loved so much about this place, and now as an old man (I say old... all of 35) I thought I'd give a shoutout and see who all was still around from the original crew.

Some of my fondest MacrossWorld memories:

1. The original java-coded message board, it didn't even keep track of membership and you had to write your name in every time you posted... alt.fan.macross refugees unite!

2.The golden age of 1/55 valkyrie modding... Erick Mabrich's custom cockpit/nose sections, Chris Baretta's excellent custom heads (I'm proud to say I got the first VF-1S head), my company's (Alphateam11) Max/Milia marriage sets, Renato's Super Ostritch conversions... and the list goes on

3.Even owning a 3rd edition joons put you on a lucky level of macross collectors... owning the genuine articles made you a mover and a shaker here

4. VF5SS and his "Adventures of Little Valk" comic series

5. Keith and his undying love for Macross 7 (and the membership that always teased him for it.... I was always a silent supporter, Keith!)

6. AgentONE. 'nuff said. (I want to subscribe to your newsletter!)

7. Graham's visits with Yamato when the first MacPlus valks dropped

8. The unending war against the machines (robotech.com)

9. Discussing military aviation with Richard Burney (Apollo Leader), and Dave Hingtgen

10. John Moscato's perfect-detail 1/35 Legioss project, (and the ensuing cease and desist letter from harmony gold, insuring that none of us could buy one from him)

11. If you wanted anything Macross-related, Jerry Tsai and Kevin Lam were the guys to see

12. Watching WM Cheng turn models into masterpieces

13. Long discussions into the night on the relevance of Macross Zero to Macross 7 (support your arguments, show your work, etc)

14. When someone decided to re-pop the Club M 1/48 VF-1 Strike Valkyrie... and the eye-watering price that went with all that resin and white metal (still kicking myself for not getting one)

I could probably think of more, but off the top of my head, these are what I remember the most.... how many other old guys are out there? When I stepped back, Roby's joke machine recasts were just coming out.

Edited by Skull Leader

Hi Jeremy!

By the way, you haven't lived until you've stayed up all night attempting to pre order a Bandai DX renewal Valk, only to fail and still have to show up at work the next day!

Good to see you here.

;)

Edited by mickyg

Renato, it is entirely possible I've got you confused for someone else! I'm sorry! (That was a long time ago lol)

And stuff is still as expensive as it once was, lol. Except for some of these master file books, I don't have or want much macross merchandise these days (I finally got my bandai 1/55 boxed strike valkyrie and I still have a 1/72 HCM in the box but that's it)

*cry, sniff, wail*

No love for the M3? I'm so rornry :)

Welcome back "old man". Seems like quite a few of the old school have decided to revisit the old stomping grounds. Be careful, the temptation to buy stuff is as great as ever :)

Hey Everyone!

I dropped back to "lurker" status somewhere around 2006 after being a charter, hardcore-everyday visiting member since 2000. I'd check in every so often to see how things were going and to keep up with the latest news about my most beloved anime franchise. OCCASIONALLY I'd chime in on something, but largely Ive stayed up in the nosebleed section.

I was thinking earlier about everything that I loved so much about this place, and now as an old man (I say old... all of 35) I thought I'd give a shoutout and see who all was still around from the original crew.

I'm 40 now so I guess that means I should be getting the senior citizen discount! ^_^

In a way things have kind of come full circle for me having taken a similar break about 5 or 6 years back. I originally signed up to be part of the forums when they launched in early December 2000. During the early 2000's I lived in a small rural town without much to do so it was a means to socialize with those with similar interests and to keep up on everything Macross, especially all the cool toys that were coming out back then. Now in 2014 I am moving to a smaller rural town once again, DYRL turned 30, and it was entertaining to see what happened with the Robotech Kickstarter.

By the way, you haven't lived until you've stayed up all night attempting to pre order a Bandai DX renewal Valk, only to fail and still have to show up at work the next day!

THAT. It's pretty much the defining "shared experience" of a valk-fan nowadays.

I had a bizarre Macross World flashback the other day when I had to buy a money order for the first time in nearly a decade, which somehow triggered memories of reading about a huge MW group buy from a Japanese kit manufacturer (involving some big postal money orders, if I recall correctly) that went bad and ended up turning into a multi-year ordeal.

I was! It went on display in pieces as I recall, lol. It never recovered from that. I wish I had another Yellow Sub kit to build in it's place.

Man, it fell apart during con, shoulda brought that bottle of glue with me. I was wondering what happened to you. There was a thread about your max and Millia 1/55 wedding pack. Stick around. Something better coming soon.

I had a bizarre Macross World flashback the other day when I had to buy a money order for the first time in nearly a decade, which somehow triggered memories of reading about a huge MW group buy from a Japanese kit manufacturer (involving some big postal money orders, if I recall correctly) that went bad and ended up turning into a multi-year ordeal.

haha. I remember that. Ended up selling mine. Lol.

My gawd, I actually remember that and I wasn't even a part of it. What a disaster.

Was this the Tanmen Fiasco? For the ES-11D and Dragon? That happened before I came here, but I'm the one who bought Exo's Cat's Eye.

Edited by Jefuemon

Hi Jeremy!

Good to see you here.

;)

I've never been so happy to know I haven't really lived in all my life.

Here's a selection of Tanmen's models that he was selling at that time.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/uncm/uncm_main.htm

And here's the old Valkyrie Hangar website from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

Back in the old days, when 1/55 Valkyries were $300+ US!

I think Jung still does 1/55 customs.

A lot has happened on Macross World since 1999.

Hi Jeremy!

Good to see you here.

;)

I've never been so happy to know I haven't really lived in all my life.

LOL - well I have, a couple of times actually.

Oh wow, talk about a trip back!

Welcome back, didn't want to quote your original post but I certainly remember items;

4,5,6,7*,8,10,11&12

*Heck it was the hunt for Toycom Macross Plus Valkyries that brought me to Macross World in 2000 to begin with.

-b.

Welcome back! I think a whole lot of members here went MIA around 2006-2007 period, including myself (was here only for 4 years, between 03-06).

For me I tot I was done with Macross, after watching a few episodes of "gundam-ish, teens-saving-the-world" MacF. I was expecting a more realistic storyline, after being spoiled by the first few episodes of Zero. (But after going thru the series earlier this year, I tot it wasnt as bad as I tot it would be). Coupled with the impending, better v2 1/60s, releases that would "nullify" my 1/48 collections, I gave the hobby up.

When I came back to MW, around this time last year, I saw a bunch of toys that I missed to purchase during the Macross hiatus, and it was a couple of months after Yamato declared bankruptcy. And so my own version of panic buy started (a bit late than the actual panic buy). The need to catch up with Arcadia's, ol Yamato and Bandai releases from ground up was hard. There was a period of buying and selling; buying what made me drool, and selling unneeded multiples or ones that I decided not to keep since the transformation mechanisms are the same (Bandai's 25, 29) etc.

Now Im pretty much content with my small colection..so the panic has cooled down a bit.

Welcome back and hope youll enjoy recollecting as I did!

Renato, it is entirely possible I've got you confused for someone else! I'm sorry! (That was a long time ago lol)

And stuff is still as expensive as it once was, lol. Except for some of these master file books, I don't have or want much macross merchandise these days (I finally got my bandai 1/55 boxed strike valkyrie and I still have a 1/72 HCM in the box but that's it)

I guess you were thinking about Rosario Love's 1/55 Super Ostrich customs.

Welcome back.

5. vs. 6. continues to this day, like you never left...

Wow, we have been here a while...

Time to come clean though.

Keith is actually a girl, and she is my girlfriend. I get her all hot&fussy on the board so when I come home I can smash the V hard.

Wow, we have been here a while...

Time to come clean though.

Keith is actually a girl, and she is my girlfriend. I get her all hot&fussy on the board so when I come home I can smash the V hard.

post-278-0-84511500-1409010426_thumb.jpg