is it just me or the voice of choppy sound like the guy who was in dis. 9 and Elysium? ugh I can't remember his name right now! character name in 9 I think was Vickus?

I don't know but Sharlto Copley according with imdb the guy is listed as " Chappie (motion capture performer) "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/?ref_=rvi_tt

yeah Dynaman, my thoughts exactly

Edited by Lobizon

I don't know but Sharlto Copley according with imdb the guy is listed as " Chappie (motion capture performer) "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/?ref_=rvi_tt

yeah Dynaman, my thoughts exactly

Yep, that's the guy I was right! Go Fing figure, what IS IT about this guy that gets used in all of Blomkamp's films?! I don't remember seeing him in the ALIEN 5 concept sketchs!

10632029_1538912796367720_1176534651_n.j

Some Aussie Hardware

Wow, that is a very cool design. I have to admit, while Elysium wasn't all that great upon reflection, I adore the mecahnical design for the film. Chappie again seems to really nail that same aesthetic. I hope this turns out better as a film.

Yes, it would be. The marketing strategy for all these types of films is release advertising that caters to every type of consumer. Release one trailer that will entice sci-fi fans, release another trailer that will entice actions fans, release yet another trailer that will entice drama fans, another for older consumers, for women, blah, blah, blah. Even if the it means selling the film as something it isn't, get as many of those asses in the seats as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also in the camp that liked District 9, but felt Elysium was too heavy-handed. Chappie really piques my interest for some reason, I'm curious what kind of social message might be in it - or if it will keep the commentary low and just tell a compelling story.

Robots good, white people bad!

Huh? I'm sorry, but that's disingenuous. The point isn't that "insert perceived victim" is bad or good. The point is to reflect on the state of our culture. To go off topic somewhat, Elysium wasn't about 'white people' ... ugh ... it was about class structure. Might the story have been better? Sure! Everything could use improvement, and I think Elysium's ending could have been fleshed out some. That doesn't mean I think it was poor by any stretch, though. The main themes may not have had much complexity amid the special effects, but they were still timely.

Suffice it to say, I think Blomkamp has a unique voice that is worth listening to. I also really enjoy how he uses science fiction to get his point across. There aren't many writers or directors who who brave the utility of SF as a social forum today.

On some side news Neill Blomkamp's next film after Chappie is an ALIEN movie. I think FOX is making another mistake like they did with the sequels after Aliens and Prometheus. Neill Blomkamp's art suggests he wants to re-visit Aliens which would of been cool almost thirty years ago but in reality they should use ALIEN: Isolation for inspiration instead.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/new-alien-movie-confirmed-at-fox-with-director-neill-blomkamp-1201436551/

Can't wait for Blomkamp's Power Loader update...

Seriously why is it in 25 plus years of lore since the film came out that nobody has ever made a fully armed military version of it? Yeah its essentially a bulldozer/forklift, but remember the tank started out as a tractor, and this technology is too inviting not to convert to military use.

Edited by renegadeleader1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, though I'm not surprised Chappie is getting hammered with weak reviews on RottenTomatoes. Blomkamp needs to stop doing his own thing so I'm hoping the ALIENS sequel will be a good film for him. But I could be wrong. Honestly I think he should do a film based on Half-Life or Halo but when will that ever happen?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chappie/

So, when is Blomkamp going to come out and say "my bad, I frakked this one up," like he did with Elysium? And who is still excited for his Alien movie? Anyone?

Dude is starting to look like a one-hit wonder.