Biggest and probably the most asked question, open or keep in box.

Novareign

I open them all.

Makes no sense to keep them MIB.

I never understood that. I mean, if you want to make some money, there are probably tons of easier ways.

Macross toys just dont gain enough value over time to make a good profit.

And if your not planning to sell it, why even buy it?

I buy my toys to be enjoyed! I love the feeling of waiting for something to have it finally arrive and opening it for the first time. Then thinking of the ways to panel line them, decal and clear coat them with some weathering to improve them to my taste (totally destroying their value - but increasing their value to me!). Personalizing them so they truly are one of a kind!

I just can't be hassled with trying to sell anything and shipping it to some stranger. Toys are for my inner child, not investment.

I rarely buy doubles and try to stick to singles as a general rule. I broke that rule twice: Once with the Yamato/Arcadia 1S releases and more recently with the 25s release.

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!

Same. That's another rule. If I can't display it, I don't keep it haha.

This is my take on keeping it in the box, or trying to see it from another frame of mind/perspective that doesn't work for me.

1. You collect perfect mint items, and the action of hunting it down and keeping it "perfect" from the factory is what gets your rocks off. I can see where this frame of mind comes from, and maybe if I had more money and unlimited space I'd buy backups to keep a "perfect" copy just to know I have one. I think collecting for some people is the feeling of having it stored and owned, so this makes sense, but it's not for me.

2. You want to sell it later and make money. This one is a little shaky. I sell a ton of stuff as most of you know, and while I've made money by the adage of "buy low, sell high." It's really hard to turn a profit on anything after shipping, fees, and competing with other sales and business. You have to be willing to sit on your money for at least a year when everything is sold out, or have the time to speculate and hit windows of opportunity. Even then you're not going to be making a ton of money unless... it's scarce. At that point it becomes a guessing game of trying to triangulate.... "what valk will be rare in 2 years?"

Who sat back and bought 10 VF-X's or 10 VF-11's when they were on sale just to sit on them? Not many people.

Today, if you asked me what Valk would be rare in 5 years? I'd say the 30th anniversary Arcadia, though they made a fairly high number of them, a lot of people didn't buy them, and it's a little on the funky side. But who knows. Again, that's a long term investment.

Edited by Gakken85

I buy my toys to be enjoyed! I love the feeling of waiting for something to have it finally arrive and opening it for the first time. Then thinking of the ways to panel line them, decal and clear coat them with some weathering to improve them to my taste (totally destroying their value - but increasing their value to me!). Personalizing them so they truly are one of a kind!

I just can't be hassled with trying to sell anything and shipping it to some stranger. Toys are for my inner child, not investment.

This is the hassle of buying something you are just hyped because of the internet.

(currently trying to sell one valk that I dont like upon opening the box)

anyway, I totally destroyed my 25A value and I am happy :p

DSC_6656_zpsa430fa5a.jpg

Edited by chyll2

I open them all.

Makes no sense to keep them MIB.

I never understood that. I mean, if you want to make some money, there are probably tons of easier ways.

Macross toys just dont gain enough value over time to make a good profit.

And if your not planning to sell it, why even buy it?

So answering this question again since I think it's like me and 1 other person that has openly admitted to keeping a lot of items MISB or MIB, I buy them and keep them sealed because I want to. It's a personal preference and my "style" of collecting.

I don't think anyone, other than those that say they open everything and play with toys in their rooms, said anything about collecting for profit.

I buy what I buy because I want to. Period.

This is my take on keeping it in the box, or trying to see it from another frame of mind/perspective that doesn't work for me.

1. You collect perfect mint items, and the action of hunting it down and keeping it "perfect" from the factory is what gets your rocks off. I can see where this frame of mind comes from, and maybe if I had more money and unlimited space I'd buy backups to keep a "perfect" copy just to know I have one. I think collecting for some people is the feeling of having it stored and owned, so this makes sense, but it's not for me.

2. You want to sell it later and make money. This one is a little shaky. I sell a ton of stuff as most of you know, and while I've made money by the adage of "buy low, sell high." It's really hard to turn a profit on anything after shipping, fees, and competing with other sales and business. You have to be willing to sit on your money for at least a year when everything is sold out, or have the time to speculate and hit windows of opportunity. Even then you're not going to be making a ton of money unless... it's scarce. At that point it becomes a guessing game of trying to triangulate.... "what valk will be rare in 2 years?"

Who sat back and bought 10 VF-X's or 10 VF-11's when they were on sale just to sit on them? Not many people.

Today, if you asked me what Valk would be rare in 5 years? I'd say the 30th anniversary Arcadia, though they made a fairly high number of them, a lot of people didn't buy them, and it's a little on the funky side. But who knows. Again, that's a long term investment.

Thanks for your 1st point and understanding that just because it's not for you doesn't make it at best "something that doesn't make sense" or at worst "a horrible way to save for retirement".

To each his or her own people, no need to say anything other than what you like and why, and there is certainly no need to lob back-handed comments because you don't agree or understand why someone does something differently than you.

-b.

spoken like a true scholar!

This is the hassle of buying something you are just hyped because of the internet.

(currently trying to sell one valk that I dont like upon opening the box)

anyway, I totally destroyed my 25A value and I am happy :p

DSC_6656_zpsa430fa5a.jpg

Are there more pics of this thing posted here???

-snip-

To each his or her own people -snip-

-b.

this

and this,

We're all here to enjoy collecting macross, in whatever form we choose.

:)

That 25A looks great chyll2. Needs more pics. :D

Edited by Falcon18

Chyll2

That looks awesome!

One of these years I'm going to learn how to paint like that.

Thanks. In some parts, It looks kinda bad at close up though :wacko:

Are there more pics of this thing posted here???

this is the only pic so far, it is a slow-in-progress custom. I plan to add the black stripe and use the left over 1/72 hasegawa markings (no step, hot air, etc)

That 25A looks great chyll2. Needs more pics. :D

Thanks! I will once this is completed. Currently satisfied swooshing this thing around in my room

In the past I would keep all my Valks and Macross items nicely tucked away until one day when my son (then 8) asked why he couldn't play with my toys. lol, that same day we began to open the Macross Plus 1/72s and CMs. Now, as soon as I get one, I open it. Like most, if I can't/don't have a display for them, I'll still opened and zoom around the room then put it away until I get another display case. Now I will get another YF-30, YF-19 and a (re-issued) VF-1J and tuck those away for when my sons have kids. Maybe I can keep Macross going for another generation.

There was a collector who never opened any of his toys. Then he left the hobby and sold of his collection for great prices. I ended up with a lot of good stuff from him never opened. So either way works with me because I open mine, but others will benefit from those who never open their stuff and get pristine rare Valkyries

Guest davidwhangchoi

There was a collector who never opened any of his toys. Then he left the hobby and sold of his collection for great prices. I ended up with a lot of good stuff from him never opened. So either way works with me because I open mine, but others will benefit from those who never open their stuff and get pristine rare Valkyries

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I look at it like this, These things are usually Very Expensive,Particually The New Bandai & Yamato/Arcadia Mechs, When times are good I'll buy 2 or 3 of each or if I'm feeling a bit Greedy or insecure which is Most of the Time! (Lol) Also these things tend to be Extremely Fragile and Delicate especially for those of us Big Kids with Sausage Fingers, Also another added bonus of buying multiples of each item is the "Trade or Swap" Potential.

Peeks in.

Note to self, be careful who I buy from on this site.

-b.

Hey B! Just so you know, already been transformed. Just in case you want to purchase back the VF-4G. Hahaha! :lol: Btw, having blast on that figure last night. Only complain is the loose missles which is common issues as mentioned on reviews, and the not-so-big-hands that came with it. Hehehe. ^_^

Its a blend with me. A buy some for display and handling and when I like one of those a lot, I grab 1 or 2 to keep MIB. I like knowing "when this things gets loose or if this thing chips or breaks" I have another perfect copy as a backup. I can really enjoy them a lot more without that background anxiety of it getting loose, damaged, chipped, etc.

...if there is no window then you assume it's in perfect condition. You don't know for a fact it is or isn't. You could be sitting years and years on something with a serious defect or missing pieces. Them low paid factory workers ain't infallible, you know. That's how I see it anyway. Schrodinger's cat maybe? :D

I'm in the open and display camp myself. I keep my boxes as pristine as I can in between military postings but I only keep them for moving purposes. I couldn't care less about collector value as I'm a strong believer of the 'you only go around once' principle of life and keeping my valks locked up in boxes just flies too much in the face of that.

That said, if money were no object, I would certainly love to have a backup copy of some of the rarer valks in case one of them fell off the display shelf and thundered in on the rec room floor - I'm looking at you VF-4G. Unfortunately, money is a concern so I just say screw it and display my single copy valks.

Like many of you have already said, to each their own.

• 1 month later...