YetiStand Alpha.

ChaoticYeti

The Sv-51 seems to use a very different type of stand connector, despite the basic stand itself being the same as the YF-21's. The "main" post is a 12-sided connector. (not a circular post, not a hexagon or octagon--I counted twice, it's twelve-sided). So it's almost a circular post, but not, and "locks in" due to that and won't pivot.

And to attach to the YetiStand, you would actually need to create a male connector, as the Sv-51 fighter/gerwalk/battroid bits are all female.

Do you have an Arcadia VF-1S? Is it like these little guys?

spOhpAUl.jpg

I don't have an Arcadia VF-1, but that looks similar. Let me go measure as best I can. (no calipers, sorry!)

::edit:: OK, I'd say the Sv-51's peg-post is about 8.5mm tall, and "a hair under" 6mm across. (measuring flat-to-flat, not edge-point to edge-point----point to point probably would hit 6mm)

The piece on the left (female) is very similar to the fighter and GERWALK mode adapters for the Sv-51. (a "hollow structure" surrounding the hole, with reinforcing ribs inside)

I don't have an Arcadia VF-1, but that looks similar. Let me go measure as best I can. (no calipers, sorry!)

I bet they are the same thing. So, the stand is male, and the valk adapter is female? Unless someone wants to send me a SV-51 so I can make a custom piece for the valk, I can try and make an adapter for the adapter based on the Arcadia stand. David, are you actually in Iowa? I could ship one to you so you can test fit on the actual SV-51 piece.

Edit: I just modeled this. I will print it shortly and see if it fits. I used a 12 faceted cylinder, but I am not sure if it will carry through the print.

j9iUMJSl.jpg

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Yup, I'm in Iowa, mail would be quick/easy. Or, if you don't need the entire valk etc, I could probably mail you up an Sv-51 stand piece adapter or two, so you could measure and test-fit for sure.

And yes---the "final" piece that attaches to the Sv-51 itself is always female, while the stand's pivoting piece that the adapters go on, is the male part.

I apologize for butting in, but I was able to snap a quick camera photo of the SV-51's adapter.

It does look the same as the clear 1S adapter above. If you need photos of the other parts, let me know. I'll dig out my Arcadia 1S stand and add some comparison shots in a moment.

post-5492-0-67585900-1407981466_thumb.png

Edited by technoblue

I apologize for butting in, but I was able to snap a quick camera photo of the SV-51's adapter.

It does looks the same as the clear one above.

attachicon.gifsv51_adapter.png

That looks identical. Is there a nub on the end of the male tab, or is that flashing from the mold?

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Good eye. It is flashing from the mold. There's no nub on the male end.

Here are some quick and dirty photos of both pieces together. FYI, that is clear plastic and not mauve/pink plastic. :p My cell phone is catching a funky tint from something (maybe the halogen bulb in the room). The upside is that it highlights the piece on the white background.

Edit: To compliment David's measurements, there does seem to be a slight variation in the size of the peg adapters. At least with my sample, the Arcadia peg adapter is closer to 6.0mm exactly when measuring from flat to flat. My Yamato peg adapter has the same measurements as David's (just under 6.0mm from flat to flat). When trying to fit the Arcadia adapter with the three SV-51 slot-in pieces, only one fit without difficulty. The other two pieces were too tight.

Edit2: Correcting the color cast from the warm light in the original pictures.

A shot from above

post-5492-0-52677500-1408296085_thumb.png

Another shot at an angle

post-5492-0-79459100-1408296100_thumb.png

Edited by technoblue

Good eye. It is flashing from the mold. There's no nub on the male end.

Here is another quick and dirty photo of both pieces together. FYI, that is clear plastic and not mauve/pink plastic. :p My cell phone is adding a funky tint from the halogen bulb in the room. The upside is that it highlights the piece on the white background.

attachicon.gifsv51_vf1s_adapter.png

Yep. Printing now.

At this point it is just me in my home office. If you would have asked me a month ago if YetiStand would be were it is now, I would have laughed. Once it becomes more established I will hopefully have better avenues for distribution.

By the way, YetiStand is now patent pending!

Design or utility patent? Are you working with an attorney or will this be pro se?

Design or utility patent? Are you working with an attorney or will this be pro se?

Provisional patent for now. I would have to wait for official findings to see if I can get a utility patent, but definitely a design patent. That would at least protect the molds if I go that route. An initial patent search has looked promising for utility. Filed pro se for now. I have a patent lawyer I have met with, but I am going to hold off on the $27,000 until I know this is going somewhere.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I am very tempted to just green light it, but I should hear back in the morning about what the vendor thinks the possibility of stress cracks on the base is. I want to ship the best possible product. Hopefully they agree there shouldn't be an issue and I will start taking orders.

Nice. I notice that you have changed the design of the peg slightly. How is the fit?

I always end up having to iterate here and there. I had to rotate the peg 15 degrees to match the stock piece. It was hard to tell which way it should go until I had the first one printed. The printed piece fits just as snug as the stock stand piece.

Cool. I'm curious to see how this custom piece will work with the SV-51 slot-in pieces. There are three. Although the peg adapter is the same, the slot in pieces are different from the one packaged with the VF-1S stand. I also noticed when trying to exchange parts between the stands that the Yamato peg was a little loose with the Arcadia bits and the Arcadia peg was a little tight on two of the Yamato pieces.

Edited by technoblue

Cool. I'm curious to see how this custom piece will work with the SV-51 slot-in pieces. There are three. Although the peg adapter is the same, the slot in pieces are different from the one packaged with the VF-1S stand. I also noticed when trying to exchange parts between the stands that the Yamato peg was a little loose with the Arcadia bits and the Arcadia peg was a little tight on two of the Yamato pieces.

I modeled mine using the Arcadia pieces as reference. I would rather have it be a little tight versus a little loose.

I will be posting in "For Sale" at 6:30pm CST this evening.

Edit: Changed time to give the Australians a chance, since they should be sleeping now.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

First I want to say that I think these stands are amazing! I sincerely appreciate all the attention to detail, time and effort you put into them. It's an incredible achievement!

With that said ( and please don't take this as criticism) I am bummed that you got away from the simple stagnate arm for both Yamato and Bandai valks that you showed off at the beginning of your design process. That was what I was really looking forward to buying. And I realize you can create a simpler stand with the parts provided, but obviously I'd still have to pay for those parts. Which would inevitably sit in a bag and never be used.

I also realize I am the minority here, but is there a chance you will ever make something simpler (and hopefully a bit cheaper) that's more along the lines of what you started out with so long ago? (I can't seem to find the pic or I'd post it)

Again, I'm not criticizing in any way. I do thank you for providing a quality product for the Macross community! :)

First I want to say that I think these stands are amazing! I sincerely appreciate all the attention to detail, time and effort you put into them. It's an incredible achievement!

With that said ( and please don't take this as criticism) I am bummed that you got away from the simple stagnate arm for both Yamato and Bandai valks that you showed off at the beginning of your design process. That was what I was really looking forward to buying. And I realize you can create a simpler stand with the parts provided, but obviously I'd still have to pay for those parts. Which would inevitably sit in a bag and never be used.

I also realize I am the minority here, but is there a chance you will ever make something simpler (and hopefully a bit cheaper) that's more along the lines of what you started out with so long ago? (I can't seem to find the pic or I'd post it)

Again, I'm not criticizing in any way. I do thank you for providing a quality product for the Macross community! :)

I could print you some. They are surprising expensive to produce, though.

Edit: Just got back from supper. These are moving faster than I thought. I updated the list.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Might have to give these stands a miss this run.. spent too much money lately.. gonna get in trouble if I keep going! :(

I hope you pine for them when everyone starts posting pictures.