Macross Fan Documentary

Neoka

Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively new Macross Fan, only having jumped on board after seeing Frontier back in 2011. My fascination of Macross history started not soon after I asked a very innocent question I ask often after watching anime I like.

"When is the English dub going to be made?"

After that unknowingly heavy and loaded question, I began to delve into the history of Macross. I've learned more and more and I really wanted to share everything I've discovered over my short 3+ years with this community!

The purpose of this documentary would be to educate New Western Macross fans who have little to no knowledge of the colorful history of Macross.

Like any legitimate documentary I would, of course, need reliable sources! So I thought Macross World Con would be a wonderful start to get some great interviews with guests, staff and attendees alike!

This will probably require me to get my hands on a live translator since my Japanese Vocabulary is that of a 3 year old. But I am quite determined to make this happen!

I'm not saying this project will be easy. In fact I think it will be a long while for me to gather up enough sources and references to make a decent fan documentary.

Any suggestion or opinions of such a project would be greatly appreciated!

Now...one of my concerns with this sort of documentary is the very question that got me interested in the history in the first place.

Why isn't Macross very popular outside of Japan?

This is a topic I feel lots of new fans would love to be covered, but I know this will bring up the topic of Harmony Gold and the dreaded "R" word.

I know this is a very sensitive subject with many Macross fans and I am concerned about mentioning it in the documentary or interviews.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestion about how to approach such a subject?

Thanks in advanced!

Edited by Neoka

Hi Neoka! I'm already looking forward to this. PM me if you're really planning on attending on MWCon so we can set you up a special pass and would love to offer cooperation from the staff. Have you done a documentary before? It doesn't really matter because if this is your first then we'd still love to support the project.

Haha. Um. If you count college HW projects ...I suppose you could say I've made a documentary before!

In all seriousness, no, I've never made something like this before, but I'm an avid video and sound editor, so I have all the technical skills required to make this happen.

My Macross World Con plans are very much SET!

Sure! I'll shoot you a PM!

Now...one of my concerns with this sort of documentary is the very question that got me interested in the history in the first place.

Why isn't Macross very popular available outside of Japan?

Sounds like an interesting project, however, something cannot become very popular if it is not readily available or widely known by the consuming public.

You definitely will not get to the bottom of your questions without learning more about the history of Robotech/Harmony Gold as well.

Good Luck!

This is probably the very best place to start if you are not fluent in Japanese. You will find the resources here as well as the archives of previous discussions on this franchise to be rather remarkable.

This truly is the best Macross fan forum for English speaking fans.

From here you can find links to many many Macross related resources available on the web. Many of the owners of those very same resources frequent these boards.

Edited by Zinjo

I was hoping somebody would a project like this!

You can also listen to the last three Macross Speaker Podcast episodes for the

tale of Macross' tempestuous history in North America. All the Macross Speaker

Podcasts are good to listen to if you're a Macross fan!

Thanks to Shawn, admin. of the MW forum, the Macross World legacy forum is over here

and you can look over the recently closed HG and Robotech debates in the Hall of the Super Topics

thread here.

You can also find some of the older MW convention reports on the old MW homepage over here.

A lot of the convention reports have gone missing, so you would need to contact the MW

members directly to get your information and share some MW stories.

VF5SS has done two very informative Macross panels at the Boston comic convention.

Plus, he has done many historical overview podcasts of Macross as well!

The Veef Show selection

I think he's a good guy to talk to about the North American Macross perspective.

Wishing you much success!

Yep, you are vouch-ed, Hikuro!

And Gubaba is also very knowledgeable about Macross!

I think he's back in the USA from Japan, but I'm not sure if he would

be attending the MW convention in October. You would have to ask him.

Edited by boinger

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like an interesting project, however, something cannot become very popular if it is not readily available or widely known by the consuming public.

You definitely will not get to the bottom of your questions without learning more about the history of Robotech/Harmony Gold as well.

Good Luck!

I was thinking about saying "availible" but chose to say "popular" since companies like AnimEigo, Manga Entertainment, and ADV Films technically make it availible in the US, but yes. I agree. They aren't very widley known. I would love to go into that in the documentary!

This is probably the very best place to start if you are not fluent in Japanese. You will find the resources here as well as the archives of previous discussions on this franchise to be rather remarkable.

This truly is the best Macross fan forum for English speaking fans.

From here you can find links to many many Macross related resources available on the web. Many of the owners of those very same resources frequent these boards.

Thanks so much! <3

I'm not fluent, but my Japanese can get me by. I studied for 5 years worth of Japanese, but I barely retained any of it since it was so long ago. If I start this project. I'll probably pick it up again! But thanks for being so supportive! That really encourages me!

I was hoping somebody would a project like this!

You can also listen to the last three Macross Speaker Podcast episodes for the

tale of Macross' tempestuous history in North America. All the Macross Speaker

Podcasts are good to listen to if you're a Macross fan!

Thanks to Shawn, admin. of the MW forum, the Macross World legacy forum is over here

and you can look over the recently closed HG and Robotech debates in the Hall of the Super Topics

thread here.

You can also find some of the older MW convention reports on the old MW homepage over here.

A lot of the convention reports have gone missing, so you would need to contact the MW

members directly to get your information and share some MW stories.

VF5SS has done two very informative Macross panels at the Boston comic convention.

Plus, he has done many historical overview podcasts of Macross as well!

The Veef Show selection

I think he's a good guy to talk to about the North American Macross perspective.

Wishing you much success!

WOW! You can bet I'm saving ALL of those links! I've been listening to quite a few Macreoss podcasts, which I think are great information sorces! For a documentary I would like more more reliable sorces instead of saying "In a Macross podcast, a fan said that a forum said that Kawamori said....etc". But I know a lot of Macross Podcasts have awesome guest speakers, right? Would be great to get information from people directly related with Big West and The Macross Team!

Though I would love to throw in fans reactions and general attitude which I'm sure this forum will help imensely with! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For helping me further this project and give me inspiration to continue!

I'd love to somehow be apart of this documentary as someone who's help english-ify (haha I made up a new word! ENGLISH!!!) Macross films in the past. Boinger can vouch for me.

Cool! I'll Shoot you a PM with my skype!

If you need some help directly, I've got a lot of material on Macross that I used for my podcasts and panels.

HECK YEAH! I'll also send you my skype!

Thanks so much everyone! You're a huge inspiration to this! Thanks for helping out and hope to see some of you at the con!