Macross maintenance.

ChaoticYeti

Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips on tightening the joints on the VF-25 renewal valk. Mine literally had drooping hips that were so loose, it wasn’t able to stand on its feet in battroid mode. After a quick fix to the hips they are now super tight again and ready for some dynamic poses, LOL:

278D2EFF-B868-474E-A7A4-36DDC8F4F284.jpeg

This is probably my favorite thread here within the last 10 years. I have a question, @Xigfrid, can your DX VF171 replacement triangles stand up to repeated transformation?

Also I think I got a new one for you guys. I don't recall seeing this crack before. It's the hinge for the radome/nose on the DX VF-25G Renewal. This part might be ABS(I didn't look close). Crazy thing is the crotch hinges look like POM to me yet they're cracked on mine! I saw those cracks a while back. For the radome cracks I think I could fix it by seeping some Krazy glue or epoxy and moving the nose gear back and forth while drying. I was able to save some cracked V2 1/60 VF-1 shoulder hinges doing that back in the day.

Hopefully Bandai makes a DX VF-25 3.0 for the 10th anniversary of Macross F with diecast for main hinges instead of POM and solid pins instead of spring pins.

IMG_5199.JPG

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Foblander said:

Are the Yamato (v2) and Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 toys prone to loose hips over time? 

It’s rare on the VF-0’s since it has tight joints. Though some members have experienced broken hip joints on the first Arcadia VF-0A release after the joints are being pulled for extended articulation. On the VF-1 (v2), there’s less report on the joint looseness. However, the VF-1 hip joints can be repaired easily than the VF-0.

Edited by no3Ljm

On 9/10/2018 at 11:45 PM, no3Ljm said:

It’s rare on the VF-0’s since it has tight joints. Though some members have experienced broken hip joints on the first Arcadia VF-0A release after the joints are being pulled for extended articulation. On the VF-1 (v2), there’s less report on the joint looseness. However, the VF-1 hip joints can be repaired easily than the VF-0.

That is comforting to know. Thanks man :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sildani said:

In the name of Onnasake, He Who Faced the Calamity, I offer this (kinda) tutorial. 

Good news, the hips are only screwed together, no glue. The hip ball joint is like other Bandai DX Valkyries in that there’s a metal bit expanding out into a plastic ball. The leg itself is secured to the ball joint by a half-piece and two screws. Unscrew them and the leg comes off. 

Now you’ll see the metal hip joint, which also comes in two metal halves secured with two screws, a plastic cap on the bottom which helps clip the halves together, and another plastic bit on the upper part. No need to completely unscrew these as these provide the tension to make the hip joint stiff. I removed mine completely because I was curious and it was a bit of a faff to get it all together again. I recommend you almost completely unscrew them, move the leg gently to help break up the tension, then gradually re-tighten them until the hip is stiff enough for your liking. Then re-attach the leg. 

A5B85679-E3B0-4787-8CD5-267FFD23DE8E.jpeg

BF05C6BA-7C66-4472-BFDD-23767BF7C9F0.jpeg

66F9FDF7-437C-418B-87B1-82A885B9A152.jpeg

1F6BCAC7-ACBC-41B1-A812-EC4FE2E7BF4F.jpeg

8EFD40CC-C1D4-4467-A060-BA761E2A32C5.jpeg

Reposted here by request!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cross posting here with regards to the DX VF-1J:

Got mine in, largely satisfied. However, has anyone taken apart the intake? On 1 leg, the section of the leg that plugs into the intake(the part with the drawer joint; the hinge itself is not loose), is looser than the other. For example it has a bit of wiggle room whereas the other is solid/tight.

I've unscrewed the top plate above the intake(3 screws) and that only gives you access to the ball joint and it's housing. There is another layer of parts and beneath that is where the drawer joint is secured. I'm not sure if there's a screw missing, misaligned peg or what. I don't know how to take this bottom layer apart. It's the lower half of the housing for the hip ball joint.

I do recall reading about this before but I forgot where and I don't think it's widespread. It's not a huge bother but I'm curious as to what caused this and how to fix this. The drawer joint itself, the actual hinge is not loose, just the section where it plugs into the intake. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:17 AM, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

Cross posting here with regards to the DX VF-1J:

Got mine in, largely satisfied. However, has anyone taken apart the intake? On 1 leg, the section of the leg that plugs into the intake(the part with the drawer joint; the hinge itself is not loose), is looser than the other. For example it has a bit of wiggle room whereas the other is solid/tight.

I've unscrewed the top plate above the intake(3 screws) and that only gives you access to the ball joint and it's housing. There is another layer of parts and beneath that is where the drawer joint is secured. I'm not sure if there's a screw missing, misaligned peg or what. I don't know how to take this bottom layer apart. It's the lower half of the housing for the hip ball joint.

I do recall reading about this before but I forgot where and I don't think it's widespread. It's not a huge bother but I'm curious as to what caused this and how to fix this. The drawer joint itself, the actual hinge is not loose, just the section where it plugs into the intake. 

23 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks for sharing Shin Densetsu Kai. :good:

If you have time, and if it's possible, is it ok if you post some pics of you procedure so everyone can use it for reference?

Thanks!

that mental case is still grudge downvoting from years past... smh

yeah Shin! i'd love to see pics too. 

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Pay no attention to them my dear good sir. :good:

I’m actually starting to like it. It adds colors to the page — Stop and Go. We just need to ask the admins for Yellow for Caution. ^_^ 

9 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

yeah Shin! i'd love to see pics too. 

With multiple accounts too. That's one sad little troll. 

With regards to actually opening up Bandai valks... It's a gigantic pain. Bandai loves to add glue to their screws because I guess just in case the screw fails? 

"Screw 'n Glue" should be Bandai's new slogan. :D

Lookee lookee. We’re a league now — Me, David, Shin, and Lolicon. We are The Red Arrows! 8)

I’ll update the name list the moment I see more red arrows. Keep them coming. ^_^ 

Edited by no3Ljm

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Lookee lookee. We’re a league now — Me, David, Shin, and Lolicon. We are The Red Arrows! 8)

I’ll update the name list the moment I see more red arrows. Keep them coming. ^_^ 

I can give you all a downvote on every post I come across if you want to.

The more I think about it maybe I should give every post I read a downvote just so spread them out evenly. :)

That said I need to start my repair on the broken YF-19 head laser

13 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Uh what? Wow this place has changed in the years since I used to frequently post here. All those downvotes just more attention to our posts. I didn't know someone was habitually using them. Anyone able to fill me in via PM?

I'll take pics of the intake opened up. The good thing is, no rubber washers to enclose the joint! The balljoint housing uses diecast metal and a hard grey plastic. Eventually that plastic may wear down so that silicone joint tightening fix you came up with for the DX VF-25 might come into play here in the future.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

I can give you all a downvote on every post I come across if you want to.

The more I think about it maybe I should give every post I read a downvote just so spread them out evenly. :)

Thanks, sir! You really don’t need to do that. I should’ve done that if I could downvote myself. I still find it weird that we’re being downvoted all the time with no reasons at all. It made me scratch my head. But, I already accepted that. And from what I’ve said before, it just added a little bit of flair on the page for adding those green and red dots on every posts. So keep them coming my loyal downvoters. :good: 

18 minutes ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

Uh what? Wow this place has changed in the years since I used to frequently post here. All those downvotes just more attention to our posts. I didn’t know someone was habitually using them. Anyone able to fill me in via PM?

Hey Shin. I would love to PM you but even I don’t know why I’m getting the downvotes. All I remember is that I started getting them since December. And I don’t know what their goals are. :unknw:

Edited by no3Ljm

28 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Shin. I would love to PM you but even I don’t know why I’m getting the downvotes. All I remember is that I started getting them since December. And I don’t know what their goals are. :unknw:

I can't help but think that this correlates highly with the recent flurry of activity regarding controversial posts on the hoarding/scalping of valks.

Edited by Mazinger

4 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

I can't help but think that this correlates highly with the recent flurry of activity regarding controversial posts on the hoarding/scalping of valks.

Hmmm. I see. If that’s the case, I don’t remember being getting too much involved in that discussion nor say bad things on how one’s person spend their money for anyone to concentrate on downvoting all my posts.

I’ve been here long enough and I’ve been nice to everyone here ever since. I’m civil and I really don’t want to step on other people’s shoes. I respect people here since we share the same interests. I might react negatively on some posts that I don’t agree with like everyone does but I’m not gonna pick on certain members and started downvoting all of their good and bad posts. If they don’t like my posts, all they need to do is go to their Profile >> Settings >> Ignored Users and add my username there. Just to help out my downvoting follower/s, here’s the direct link to ignore ME: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/ignore/

Now, if that person is not going to add me nor the other members they’re downvoting on its Ignore User list then I’m pretty sure that its goal is to piss us off while at the same time still takes advantage from all the things that we share and posts esp the upcoming toy news releases and all the PO links. Period.

But, enough of that. I will still be here enjoying the forum and respect everyone’s interests.

Peace! 8)

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Doesn't really matter where it correlates or whatever.

This Invision-forum feature is just a FAIL feature.

It should be either disabled already, or make it like TFW-forum where you can identify the voter.

Otherwise, just try to keep ignoring it and stop commenting about it.

Quoted for truth.

The downvoting feature was a morbid curiosity when it first came online here on the forum, but now it is patently useless (as others have stated and restated). I mean, at best it doesn't offer anything to the larger forum discussion (for instance, it doesn't hide posts like reddit downvotes); at worst it just confuses context and meaning by getting in the way and creating an obstacle that no one asked for. Personally, I've been less inclined to post here in the Toy forum because all the downvoting has made it difficult to discern honest posts from sarcastic posts, and the sad thing there is that before the downvoting craze I thought MW was one of the better places to hang out online and just talk about our shared hobbies. I didn't need to worry about misunderstanding people too often, and when I did it was easy to get things resolved.

Now everything seems muddled.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

But, enough of that. I will still be here enjoying the forum and respect everyone’s interests.

Peace! 8)

Quoted this for truth too.

I think that's great no3Ljm--that you can find a good space and block it all out. Speaking for myself, sometimes the noise is just too constant, though, and that's when I drop off and take a break. I don't say that to point fingers. I just say that to say I have a different immunity to that sort of thing, I guess. I have other things that make me happy, so when the forum gets me down I turn to things away from MW and online social stuff. That's just how I roll, ;)

Just now, DewPoint said:

Maybe they really miss no3Ljm's Makina avatar. I know I do. :cray:

+1

*duplicate post made in VF-1J thread*

Well, I managed to get my wings lined up in battroid. My wing flaps are a bit wonky by the looks of it because by using them to apply small pressure with each other, I got them aligned. This is after I took the entire wing apart, shaved off what looked like excess glue on one side the rear rudder assembly is attached to and ended up stripping a screw hole in the whole process. So be extra careful if you decide to take it apart and reassemble it. But this wing misalignment seems to be more of a YMMV issue. Since I had no excess flash even after taken the time to shave off somethings here and there, I still had the issue. Only messing with the wing flaps seem to have fixed it (but adds to the list of things easily bumped and need to fiddle with after posing).

32931769508_5b45549d08_h.jpgWing Aligned by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The wings are held together by 5 screws. Once you get those screws out, it's easy to dismantle. Here's a blow up of the assembly.

39841957853_0e5b4eb4bc_k.jpgWing Assembly 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

45892070905_a5e3949d39_k.jpgWing Assembly 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

31865673227_3f0e74a480_k.jpgWing Assembly 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The rubber pieces attached to the wing can be poked out and removed if needed

46754791332_39e20cfedc_k.jpgWing Assembly 4 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr