ChaoticYeti

Macross maintenance.

When using nail polish, do I apply it to the ball joint or the socket?

Either or, I might say. But what I do is on the socket so it's not all messy on the ball joint.

I know this is a late reply. So I hope it still helps for future use. ^_^

Posted (edited)

Transformed my VF-11b from a year long stint in fighter mode. The thigh swivels were very loose. Looser than I recall. So loose, in fact, that it could not stand in gerwalk on my desk.

B9HCGssh.jpg

The fix ended up being simpler than I would have thought.

ROGlVEoh.jpg

There is only one screw on each leg that needs to be removed in order to access the hip swivel.

sDi4fDZh.jpg

The 2 halves of the thigh come off after removing the one screw. There are some plastic pegs for alignment, but they were not glued on mine. YMMV. There is also a small ratchet component, and a metal pin to keep track of.

sg0YqgPh.jpg

The mushroom peg has a black cap made out of soft plastic. To tighten the swivel, I packed the cap with a small square of cut paper towel. All told, while jamming it into the cap, it is probably folded onto itself making it 2 layers of paper towel.

moCBROeh.jpg

Same procedure on both sides, and now my VF-11b can hold a pose without drooping to the ground.

tYUTnaAh.jpg

Hopefully this helps at least one other person. Happy New Year!

Edited by ChaoticYeti
  • Like 1

I think my VF-11C suffers from the same problem. I'll try to fix it some day. Thanks!

So I read that acetone works on abs plastic and polystyrene, melting and bonding it. I wanted to fix the broken flaps from the 31J's weapon container and had zero luck and 5 attempts trying to glue them together with super glue. There's just almost no adhesion. So I bought some acetone (not nail polish remover) and brushed some on to the broken halves. Put them together and waited. Came back and checked and the result was the same as if I had just brushed them with tap water. Nothing at all.

Am I mistaken about the acetone working as a solvent on ABS and styrene or that these are made of ABS? The flaps feel like cheap styrene to be honest.

Acetone don't work on ABS. I tried to do it on a plastic FAN I broke. Switching to Tamiya thin cement worked though

Plastruct makes a cement just for ABS.  But in my experience it only sorta works on Yamato plastic.   But most cements don't work at all, so...

On 1/19/2017 at 9:40 PM, David Hingtgen said:

Plastruct makes a cement just for ABS.  But in my experience it only sorta works on Yamato plastic.   But most cements don't work at all, so...

Thanks for the suggestion! I had looked up Plastruct and saw they had two types. Bondene amd Weld. It sounded like Weld was for gluing two different materials together while Bondene was for gluing like materials together, so I ordered the Bondene. Got it today and tried it out and it works fabulously and doesn't make a mess or crust like superglue does. I was able to glue the pieces together and put them back on without the pieces immediately breaking apart again.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to tighten up the shoulders and hips of my VF-171, VF-25, and YF-29 toys?

38 minutes ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to tighten up the shoulders and hips of my VF-171, VF-25, and YF-29 toys?

Did you check the first page? I did have a post there regarding joint fixes on a VF-25. So basically, it's also the same as the YF-29.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Did you check the first page? I did have a post there regarding joint fixes on a VF-25. So basically, it's also the same as the YF-29.

I apparently missed it. Now I just need the silicone rubber that you used. I wonder if I could use RTV silicone gasket maker in a similar fashion to superglue or floor polish? 

Great thread. Nothing much from me as i have yet to experience any serious issues to warrant a fix.

But nevertheless, here are some tips which i acquired during g1 transformers days

1) for both new and old toys, give the plastic surface a wipe with 70% diluted isoprophyl alcohol as it helps to remove the mold grease or foreign deposits like oil, dirt which might discolor and oxidise

2) put a small dish of water in your cabinet if the display lights are on often it serves to regulate the temperature and acts as a dust magnet

3) for minor discoloration or scratches on white plastics, use novus polisher 1, 2 or 3 to remove the defects. Do not use on painted surface

Edited by recon

On 28/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, Valkyrie Driver said:

I apparently missed it. Now I just need the silicone rubber that you used. I wonder if I could use RTV silicone gasket maker in a similar fashion to superglue or floor polish? 

I tackled my VF-25G recently and tightened up the joints in both hips and shoulders. Also did the feet too. In all three cases, tightening the screws helps. I went one step further though and used a toothpick to apply gel type superglue in a random, scratched on pattern. I basically let it set before putting everything back together and it made it nice and tight while still keeping the motion of the joint.