Macross maintenance.

ChaoticYeti

High everyone! In anticipation of the Tornado parts release I decided to tighten up my VF-25f's hip joints. I am using future polish for the first time, but have used clear nail polish in the past.

I am sure this sort of thing has been mentioned here before, but thought I'd start a thread. Would others like to share their tips and tricks for keeping their macross figures crisp and tight? Or perhaps share some harrowing stories of fixes gone wrong?

Thanks to technoblue for formating this:

Arcadia YF-19

Arcadia VF-0*

Bandai VF-171

Bandai VF-25* Renewal

Yamato VF-1*

Yamato VF-0*

Yamato SV-51*

Edited by ChaoticYeti

personally, I've had the best luck with super glue. it wears the longest of anything I've tried and it dries quickly. I also work with the method of completely disassembling the joint, coating the contact surfaces, then letting everything dry 100% before putting it back together. though on the bandai VF-25 hips specifically, they've got a removable plastic insert that provides all of the friction. you can stick something like little bits of card stock or rubber behind that piece to ad more pressure to the joint without doing any permanent modifications. that can make any fallow up work easier if more drastic solutions are needed down the line.

Edited by anime52k8

personally, I've had the best luck with super glue. it wears the longest of anything I've tried and it dries quickly. I also work with the method of completely disassembling the joint, coating the contact surfaces, then letting everything dry 100% before putting it back together. though on the bandai VF-25 hips specifically, they've got a removable plastic insert that provides all of the friction. you can stick something like little bits of card stock or rubber behind that piece to ad more pressure to the joint without doing any permanent modifications. that can make any fallow up work easier if more drastic solutions are needed down the line.

what he said! I also used the superglue trick on my VF-25G as the shoulders were just too loose and floppy to hold up his enormous obnoxious gun.. worked a treat!

I did cut up pieces of silicone rubber and put them behind the gray socket. It still didn't seem to hold with enough force. I am coating with future to increase friction. Hopefully the use of both methods will help.

I have used super glue for loose joints on some older toys. The one downside is that the dried glue can produce a lot of white, flaky residue. If the toy is not also white, it will look messy.

That is why I don't use glue for joints.

Be careful with putting on too much. Also, only coat one surface, ie don't coat both the ball and the socket. Make sure you use something that is able to self-level.

If you go the future route make sure to slowly add on the layers an let each layer cure 100% before going to the next. It'll take a while but with the self leveling properties of future it'll turn out very well imho. if possible, I would just dip the ball joints into future, then let cure, then repeat.

So, are there any posts that might show how the applications of stated products (glue and future, etc.) should be done to prevent issues? Or, perhaps, we could put those posts in this thread? I don't know if others would like that, but I think keeping them all posted in this thread would be great!

So, are there any posts that might show how the applications of stated products (glue and future, etc.) should be done to prevent issues? Or, perhaps, we could put those posts in this thread? I don't know if others would like that, but I think keeping them all posted in this thread would be great!

That was my hope. I think people took it as me asking for advice.

Hi everyone! Here's my first contribution on tightening the joints. I've included the texts on the images itself. I know it's not that in-depth but just the basic stuff so that everyone can get an idea on how to start tightening theirs. And hope that's ok. I remember asking questions on how to tighten the shoulder joints on the Messiah on the VF-25 Renewal thread. And so far members answered to use superglue and if I'm not mistaken Saburo replied with a video post of the YF-29 Durandal. (I will repost that video here next time in case members have problems with the YF-29 joints.) Which when I tried to check both shoulders, they're not the same. And the joint that was fixed on the YF-29 is not the joints that I want to repair. So I dared myself to try and pry open the shoulder armor on my VF-25F. And here it goes...

post-5552-0-04530500-1406450894_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-67395900-1406450901_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-01910400-1406450910_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-27805700-1406450918_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-30790800-1406450928_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-94648900-1406450934_thumb.jpg

The reason why I didn't use the SuperGlue is because it can get messy and if that dries it leaves some white marks and white flaky stuff. That's why I look for an alternative first. And so far it works great. I will contribute more since I'm in the process on tightening other joints on my VF-25F Alto and YF-29 Isamu. ^_^

Hope that helps.

Excellent write up no3ljm! I give you credit, I don't think I have fit guts to attempt the pull off that shoulder cover. Knowing my luck it would have ended in disaster. Haha

Thanks Saburo. Just don't try to separate the armors like I did. I thought at first that it can be separated when I saw the pegs underneath it. Only to scratch it with my knife. Oh well. Lessons learned. ^_^

I need to fix my 27 and alto's 29 hip joints. Thanks for this thread

You're welcome close313. Hope that helps. I didn't post my YF-29 thigh photos since it's the same that I did on my 25F. :)

Thanks very much for that pioneering work.

You're welcome Sildani. ^_^

By the way, did anyone already repaired their crotch/leg locks? Hope someone would share it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My 2nd contribution on maintaining our Macross Collections. ;)

Just had a 'nerve' this evening on fixing the loose ankle joints on my Arcadia YF-19. Remember that this is just a guide on what method I did. So basically, it's the first time I did it so even how careful I am, I still left some blemishes, minor scratches, etc on my figure. I felt bad but that's how it happened. But the best part is, it made my YF-19's ankle joints tighter than the average OOTB ones. :rolleyes:

If ever you decided to follow what I did, please don't blame me if ever yours will have minor or major damages. Fix it at your own risk. But if you have a different safe method of doing it, please feel free to share. I might follow it on my other YF-19. ^_^

post-5552-0-08920300-1408175205_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-61858800-1408175214_thumb.jpg

post-5552-0-29490100-1408175221_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-48087000-1408175231_thumb.jpg

post-5552-0-42435700-1408175679_thumb.jpgpost-5552-0-16398900-1408175242_thumb.jpg

Just in case you're curious why I use silicon rubber and not your trusted superglue or nail polish? It's because I tried it before and I don't want the 'mess' it leaves on the plastic. :)

Edited by no3ljm

I used a little superglue as well to add thickness to the ball joints in Ozma head lasers. Now they are tight. Btw I got my VF-25S used.

Now my VF-25F re-issue starts having that lazy shoulders problem.

Edited by KH355hamdi

• 10 months later...

Rise, zombie thread!

I thought it would be nice to link to some additional fixes directly, in support of an all-in-one reference. Feel free to add any links that I missed.

Arcadia YF-19

Bandai VF-171

Bandai VF-25 Renewal

Yamato VF-1*

Yamato VF-0*

Edit: layout

Edited by technoblue

• 2 months later...

Rise, zombie thread!

I thought it would be nice to link to some additional fixes directly, in support of an all-in-one reference. Feel free to add any links that I missed.

Arcadia YF-19

Bandai VF-171

Bandai VF-25 Renewal

Yamato VF-1*

Yamato VF-0*

Edit: layout

Hey thanks for bringing these up, you've save me some time. Now I'm going to go back fixing my v2 vf-1a hikaru with super parts

I'd hesitate to label that thread as "fixing" a 171 knee, but that's probably the original title. It never actually got fixed, that 171 is still scattered across my office in pieces. :lol:

I also don't know if this is meant to be focused on just repairs, maintenance, or anything under the sun including mods, but I have a few other sets of disassembly pictures of the old VF-0 and Sv-51, and other things, plus a couple of mods for the v.2 VF-1 and old YF-19 I can dig up later.

When doing repairs / taking apart Arcadia and Bandai stuff, should one use JIS screwdrivers like these http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-Driver-Pollicis-58-0405/dp/B0001X0SK8/ref=pd_sim_469_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MFRE7PGCJW0K4W2MKHG or will standard Phillips heads work? (I read on another forum where people were repairing some 3rd party transformers that not using JIS type screwdrivers could lead to stripped screws)

When doing repairs / taking apart Arcadia and Bandai stuff, should one use JIS screwdrivers like these http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-Driver-Pollicis-58-0405/dp/B0001X0SK8/ref=pd_sim_469_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MFRE7PGCJW0K4W2MKHG or will standard Phillips heads work? (I read on another forum where people were repairing some 3rd party transformers that not using JIS type screwdrivers could lead to stripped screws)

The one you posted is a precision screwdrivers. I also have a precision screwdriver set as well. For me, as long that the screwdriver you have is the right size for the screws, I think it's fine. What happens to the stripped screws is that they were using the wrong size of screwdrivers to use. Besides most of the toys have smaller screws so I guess the precision sized screwdrivers is enough. Hope that helps. ;)