forgot about marvel zombies, best marvel comic in years.

376232[/snapback]

Amen! You gotta love a comic that has Spidey angsting over how he ate Mary Jane and Aunty May AND a leg popping out of the Hulk's stomach when he goes back to Banner.... Great comic

I only like Marvel stuff..... and I am working on becomming the hardest of harcore IronMan fans. I'm working on collecting everything IronMan... I've got just about all of the current run (maybe actually the whole thing, I forget,) I've got a big dent out of the original series (Including ToS99, IM + the Sub Mariner, and IM#1) and I've got just about all the one shots and standalones.... and some of the toys (not enough of the animated series fgures tho.) I think I mumble IronMan trivia in my sleep....

For those of you who were into Wildcats, Jim Lee is set to do a new Wildcats series with GRANT MORRISON!  He said they were going with a pop art feel as well, influenced by Jim Steranko.  Read this over@newsarama

And this justice comic....is it painted by Ross or is he just consulting it?  I was kind of dissapointed when I learned he was just writing or planning marvel's Earth X rather than painting it like he did with Kingdom Come for DC.

376022[/snapback]

I heard about Grant Morrison and Jim Lee doing WildCATS together, I'm stoked about that one B)) .

Justice is written and drawn by Alex Ross, though there is a catch. The covers are all done by Ross himself, but the inside pages and done by both him and Doug Braithwaith (spelling may be off). Basically Braithwaith draws and Alex Ross does the coloring. I'll admit, on closer inspection these shoes are loafers (had to put the quote there :lol: ). It's done in the Alex Ross style and I can't really tell the difference unless I look closely.

Screw WILDCats. I don't know how they expect people to follow that crap. How long before Jim Lee skips out his own title again?

Honestly all those Image books are just rip off books that they wished they were still working on but can rake in all the money themselves. All the books they started are just carbon copies of the books they left when they were working for Marvel, with the exception of Erik Larson's Savage Dragon.

But I'm glad there's people here reading Justice and the Ultimates. My favorite books aside from Blade Of the Immortal.

The Japanese manga Hellsing is wicked. Kohta Hirano's unique & creepy gothic style is second to none. It is one big blender of Vampires, Ghouls, insane Vatican butchers, and swag of Neo-Nazi maniacs with attitudes and violence.

IMO, nothing sexier than a police girl (turned vampire) in her mini uniform with guns; big guns, and goes around decapitating very nasty ghouls. Ver much looking forward to the last volumes.

I'm re-reading one of my favourite comics by one of the best writers out there: Alan Moore's TOP 10. This thing is just soooo good. It's like a primetime character driven cop show but the difference is that the city where it takes place is full of super beings, robots, aliens, and everything in between.

Gene Ha's art is perfect for the book. You have tons of gags all around the background and cameos of about every superhero of fantasy character you can think of. The side story with a Galactus like cat (Galactapuss :lol: ) and how he was fighting a bunch of superpowered mices is just hilarious.

Too bad Moore got pissed with DC and we never got season two. The 49ers is a prequel that tells the beginnings of Neopolis and is also quite good.

The only comic I grab on a montly basis is The Ultimates. Regular Marvel is just too cooky for me nowadays.

I'm still waiting for the final TPB of Garth Enis Preacher (been six months since I ordered...). After that I'll continue collecting Sandman TPB's.

I really like Frank Miller's older stuff like Daredevil, Sin City, Batman: Year One and of course, his DKR. The Dark Knight Strike Again was a huge let down, it was fun (and I bet Miller's wallet also had fun) but not worthy of being called "a sequel".

So Jason Todd is alive? Does this mean comic's old maxim of "only Bucky stays dead" is in danger?

I'm re-reading one of my favourite comics by one of the best writers out there: Alan Moore's TOP 10. This thing is just soooo good. It's like a primetime character driven cop show but the difference is that the city where it takes place is full of super beings, robots, aliens, and everything in between.

Gene Ha's art is perfect for the book. You have tons of gags all around the background and cameos of about every superhero of fantasy character you can think of. The side story with a Galactus like cat  (Galactapuss :lol: ) and how he was fighting a bunch of superpowered mices is just hilarious.

Too bad Moore got pissed with DC and we never got season two. The 49ers is a prequel that tells the beginnings of Neopolis and is also quite good.

The only comic I grab on a montly basis is The Ultimates. Regular Marvel is just too cooky for me nowadays.

I'm still waiting for the final TPB of Garth Enis Preacher (been six months since I ordered...). After that I'll continue collecting Sandman TPB's.

I really like Frank Miller's older stuff like Daredevil, Sin City, Batman: Year One and of course, his DKR. The Dark Knight Strike Again was a huge let down, it was fun (and I bet Miller's wallet also had fun) but not worthy of being called "a sequel".

So Jason Todd is alive? Does this mean comic's old maxim of "only Bucky stays dead" is in danger?

376799[/snapback]

Yup jason Todd is alive. HAs something to do with one of the other earth's superboys punching stuff, Jason not knowing he was going to come back, Talia, and other spoilerish stuff.(I ddin't spoil the entire main thing so don't worry). Basically the reason he''s pissed at Bruce?

Because Bruce didn't kill Joker, aka avenge Jason

And....Bucky is back as Winter Soldier(which I feel was really trying to rip off the Jason Todd returns(under the hood) storyline that DC was doing beforehand).

For what its worth, the art was good, but the winter soldier ending SUCKED.

And with Jason Todd, the original vote to kill him off back in the late 80s was only won by I believe 8-12 votes. IT was VERY close. Theres a rumor that one fan had his computer wired to his phone programmed to call every 8 minutes in favor of killing Jason Todd.

Theres a rumor that one fan had his computer wired to his phone programmed to call every 8 minutes in favor of killing Jason Todd.

376805[/snapback]

Geekiest geek. ever.

376806[/snapback]

Definitely. LOL who knew 15 years later he'd get PWND since they brought Jason Todd back. I bet that dude's pissed his contribution to comic history just got erased.

376799[/snapback]

Not even the Buckster is immune to the resurrection Virus. Captain America has been relauched. In this new title Bucky is revealed to be alive and going by the name of the Winter Soldier. This Storyline was rated as the Best by Wizard magazine. I highly recommend it.

Jason Todd now goes by the alias of the Red Hood. He's out for a little revenge.

I heard that it was a landslide in favor of offing Jason Todd.

Edited by Golden Arms

376799[/snapback]

Not even the Buckster is immune to the resurrection Virus. Captain America has been relauched. In this new title Bucky is revealed to be alive and going by the name of the Winter Soldier. This Storyline was rated as the Best by Wizard magazine. I highly recommend it.

Jason Todd now goes by the alias of the Red Hood. He's out for a little revenge.

I heard that it was a landslide in favor of offing Jason Todd.

376808[/snapback]

I read that it was pretty close in the "a death in the family" tpb where he dies. It was 640 something to 640 something in favor. I think, I'm pretty sure it was in the 600's for each.

And Jason Todd is pissed that Bruce did not off Joker after he died. He sees clippings of newspapers documenting the numerous times Joker escaped from jail and murdered people repeatedly and yet still, always escapes justice. Jason goes on a killing spree, killing drug dealers and mob bosses during the the issues as Red Hood when he first shows up. Black Mask is starting to catch onto the fact that Batman knows who the Red Hood really is.

What I do like about Todd's return is that he came back radically different and pissed for a reason. ANd not pissed where he goes emo and blames his parents or something, but pissed and takes out a good portion of criminals AND doesn't hesitate to kill in the book. This is what makes him radically different than any of Bruce's former sidekicks, and its nice to see one actually do something bad rather than beat around the bush so to speak. And I never liked him too much as Robin but I DO like him a lot as Red Hood. I'm perfectly content with him being a vigilante pissed as hell yet still serving justice in a hardcore way, while still against bats.

With Winter Soldier its the case of "ARGG im gonna kill you cap'n america, oh wait...wow I was yoour friend thats why I keep remembering you...*runs away then shows up in wolverine somehow*).

Also the OYL(One Year Later) storyline from DC has already started, and Catwoman(Selina) is pregnant, then delivers kid, and theres a new catwoman in her place.

Has Red Hood confronted Nightwing yet? I bought one of the Teen titan books were he beat the crap out of Tim Drake.

Right now DC has me hooked with alot of their big events. I think marvel dropped the ball with House of M, and I'm not too optimistic with what I'm hearing about Civil War. I can't stand the direction that Joey Q has decided to take with a number of Marvels Books. IMO DC seems intent on telling good Stories while Marvel seems intent on trying to Boost sales by Hiring famous Authors outside of the comic universe to draw in readers. I also am not a fan of all the story decompression (New Avengers) that is running rampant in the Marvel Universe.

Has Red Hood confronted Nightwing yet?  I bought one of the Teen titan books were he beat the crap out of Tim Drake.

Right now DC has me hooked with alot of their big events.  I think marvel dropped the ball with House of M,  and I'm not too optimistic with what I'm hearing about Civil War.  I can't stand the direction that Joey Q has decided to take with a number of Marvels Books.  IMO DC seems intent on telling good Stories while Marvel seems intent on trying to Boost sales by Hiring famous Authors outside of the comic universe to draw in readers.  I also am not a fan of all the story decompression (New Avengers) that is running rampant in the Marvel Universe.

376819[/snapback]

I think he has, just not sure exactly what went down. Last I read, Nightwing was stuck in Bludhaven, and Jason Todd took Joker hostage after torturing him. So he's trying to lure Batman, into making a choice, either save Dick or Joker....in the latest Nightwing batman shows up at the end when Dick is about to pass out. So I'm not sure what else is supposed to happen, I take it he's going to try to go to Gotham and take out jason as well and aprehend Joker, but not sure. Jason's just really pressing his buttons.

Cool, thanks for the info. Have you been reading infinite Crisis? What are your thoughts on it? What about all of the OYL books? I'm wondering if Jason Todd is going to become the new Nightwing as a result of OYL. I think I'm going to pick up the titles that Simone Bianchi is doing the covers for. I love this guys art.

Lonely Soldier Boy - I love it! And I ususally don't bother Star Wars comics. I love the sardonic writing style. Sorry to be ignorant but are you a writer or illustrator?

I try to do both whenever possible, but as Radd said, Tag & Bink are Kevin's characters. I love working with him, when you read a script written by Kevin Rubio, the images just begin to pop up in your brain :D

The image is the 4th page of the first issue. What happens is that Kevin decided on re-write an old T&B short story he did for the late SW Tales magazine, a story Kevin wasn't quite satisfied with. Hence the "Special Edition" tag on issue 1 :) I don't remember who was the artist back then, but I had to draw the same scene and maybe that's the reason why Radd thought it was from an older comic. I tried not to look at the original art when I was doing my version but they turned out very similar (great minds think alike ;) )

Anyway, I owe you a teaser, so here's another page from the same book. Enjoy.

376188[/snapback]

Oh, wow, huh. I'm going to need to dig that issue out and compare side by side. I didn't realize this was a redrawn version. Your work? Very tight. I'll definitely be picking up a copy. I love the body language on Fett. Just looks so quirky on such a broody character.

Cool, thanks for the info.  Have you been reading infinite Crisis?  What are your thoughts on it?  What about all of the OYL books?  I'm wondering if Jason Todd is going to become the new Nightwing as a result of OYL.  I think I'm going to pick up the titles that Simone Bianchi is doing the covers for.  I love this guys art.

376841[/snapback]

I've read some of it. I did read identity crisis and some of infinite. Infinite is so big that I'm waiting till it all hits TPB to read it all. I doubt Jason Todd would replace Nightwing, Nightwing doesn't seem to be gravely injured or dead at the end of Crisis.

I have read part of the OYL Batman. Theres a new vigilante in town but I didn't read enough into it to find out who.

Realizing that I'm rapidly running out of time before the V For Vendetta film adaptation is released, I've purchased a copy of the graphic novel and I've read half already. I can only hope the book sustains quality because the first half is fantastic!

Edited by Mr March

Other than Sandman TPB's, I haven't collected anything since the end of Pitt (Full Bleed Studios).

I USED to be into X-Men, Green Hornet, Dragonlance, Venom, some Spawn (although it got old really fast), Lobo, Bone, and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

I did (and still do) own the once expensive gold foil issues of Venom and Wildcats (signed by J. Lee, not that I was a fan or anything). Stopped collecting X-Men 2nd series after issue 42 since the artists made everyone look like they were taking a huge dump.

I'd like to read the Lucifer comics but haven't been able to pick any up. Can anyone hook me up with a few scans?

Realizing that I'm rapidly running out of time before the V For Vendetta film adaptation is released, I've purchased a copy of the graphic novel and I've read half already.  I can only hope the book sustains quality because the first half is fantastic!

377556[/snapback]

I've still got the original series I bought at age 13 in 1988 or whenever it came out! I am understandably a tad nervous about the movie. If they dont' glorify the fight scenes I reckon it might not be too bad. My main worry is if they make it all cool and matrixy and construct big set piece action sequences when the voilence in the book is not dwelled on at all. I saw some shots on the official site from the film sets and they did look great.

PS - thanks to this thread I bought 9 TPBs from Amazon yesterday.. 4 vols of Walking Dead, Batman Dark Victory and The Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, Kingdom Come and Fables Book 6. :blink:

Spent the weekend re-reading the entire series of Preacher for the (at least) 10th time.

Kingdom Come is probably one of the top ten books of the last 20 years and #1 from the last 10.

Anyways.... I picked up Infinite Crisis #5 & The Ultimates 2 #10. Simple OWNAGE from both books. Also got coupla manga MONSTER #1(finally), I don't know why they had to change the cover....., Chikyu Misaki #2, and my lolita side serving of Negima #9. ;)

Realizing that I'm rapidly running out of time before the V For Vendetta film adaptation is released, I've purchased a copy of the graphic novel and I've read half already.  I can only hope the book sustains quality because the first half is fantastic!

377556[/snapback]

I've still got the original series I bought at age 13 in 1988 or whenever it came out! I am understandably a tad nervous about the movie. If they dont' glorify the fight scenes I reckon it might not be too bad. My main worry is if they make it all cool and matrixy and construct big set piece action sequences when the voilence in the book is not dwelled on at all. I saw some shots on the official site from the film sets and they did look great.

PS - thanks to this thread I bought 9 TPBs from Amazon yesterday.. 4 vols of Walking Dead, Batman Dark Victory and The Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, Kingdom Come and Fables Book 6. :blink:

Spent the weekend re-reading the entire series of Preacher for the (at least) 10th time.

377591[/snapback]

I heard one of the last fight scenes is glorified but all the other previous ones are done well and in a believable matter very similar to how V is in the book. My beef with the film is that I screeners who saw it at nycc said that the story was altered to reflect current political conditions(bush administration)_...which to me wasn't needed since I REALLY REALLY wanted to see the original story preserved and intact(which was basically slamming parliament in the early 80s and margaret thatcher). Aside that screeners still said it was good and one of Moore's/Lloyd's former students from the london cartoon college way back when thought it was good.

One thing to remember is that Alan Moore requested his name REMOVED from the film.

My buddy did point out however that Alan Moore has done this a lot with other movies.

And Golden Arms, you were right, Jason Todd is another Nightwing. There will be 2 in the upcoming books, Dick and Jason. Not sure how this will pan out but I'm glad Joker did not off him in the recent issue otherwise it would have been a waste to have brought Jason back in the first place.

I still have to get Kingdom Come.  Side note: One of the best things about Barnes & Noble is their large selection of TPB/Graphic Novels.  And they often have their own edition of popular ones, which are very cheap.

377841[/snapback]

Aside from the marvel milestone exclusives, I actually found out that waldenbooks slightly beats them in having better selection. Or maybe its just the one by my house. But I do agree the marvel milestone grey books are cheap and have gloss paper...very cool.

Well, finished the V For Vendetta graphic novel last night. I have to say I am impressed. Once again Alan Moore delivers the goods, presenting a quasi-Guy Fawkes inspired story about a post-Cold War Britian deep under facist control and the insurgent "Codename V" who attempts to supplant it. Like many of Moore's comic books I have read and enjoyed (Watchmen, The Killing Joke), Moore tells a tale deep in revelations about the true nature of human existence and the natural tendancy to fight against oneself in the cause of change.

Not only is V For Vendetta a quality treatise on the nature of mankind's struggle for fair self-government, but it's also a personal tale about looking past much of the propaganda that fills our lives, both external and those within ourselves. The action is actually very light, mostly consisting of brief fights that move the plot into place. While V is certainly an accomplished anti-hero, he appears far more human than most comic book super humans. The plot is wonderful, always surprising and retaining theme consistently throughout.

Anyone who saw The Matrix will instantly identify aspects of V For Vendetta which inspired the plot for the Wachowski's film. V For Vendetta is obviously a less magical work however and enjoys a good grounding which adds credibility to the tale. In a way, V For Vendetta is like 1984 as a comic book.

Definitely a worthwhile read. Any fan of Moore should not pass this up and it's probably a good idea to read this graphic novel before you see the film; you may appreciate both much more if you do.

Edited by Mr March

Well, finished the V For Vendetta graphic novel last night.  I have to say I am impressed.  Once again Alan Moore delivers the goods, presenting a quasi-Guy Fawkes inspired story about a post-Cold War Britian deep under facist control and the insurgent "Codename V" who attempts to supplant it.  Like many of Moore's comic books I have read and enjoyed (Watchmen, The Killing Joke), Moore tells a tale deep in revelations about the true nature of human existence and the natural tendancy to fight against oneself in the cause of change.

Not only is V For Vendetta a quality treatise on the nature of mankind's struggle for fair self-government, but it's also a personal tale about looking past much of the propaganda that fills our lives, both external and those within ourselves.  The action is actually very light, mostly consisting of brief fights that move the plot into place.  While V is certainly an accomplished anti-hero, he appears far more human than most comic book super humans.  The plot is wonderful, always surprising and retaining theme consistently throughout.

Anyone who saw The Matrix will instantly identify aspects of V For Vendetta which inspired the plot for the Wachowski's film.  V For Vendetta is obviously a less magical work however and enjoys a good grounding which adds credibility to the tale.  In a way, V For Vendetta is like 1984 as a comic book.

Definitely a worthwhile read.  Any fan of Moore should not pass this up and it's probably a good idea to read this graphic novel before you see the film; you may appreciate both much more if you do.

378167[/snapback]

I hope the changes made to the story in the movie don't turn me off. I did hear that Natalie Portman's breaking down scene is the most important in the film much like how it is in the graphic novel. I just HATE how the story was changed to make it reflect current times.

Nonetheless I do agree I love the story, art was kind of hard to follow but this may have been due to compromises made for the scripts Moore was writing at the time.

I really want to know who V was, I know about prisoner in room 5 but Moore did hint who it could be a couple times without ever revealing who it was, just who it wasn't. It wasn't Evey's parents or this other person I think a cop. For all I know perhaps it was someone masquerading as a cop who knew were to strike and all the vulnerable places. Who knows. Any guesses?

I did think his way of building a weird pattern in his room all the time and revealing it to be mustard gas in an attack was BRILLIANT. Not only was this guy a freedom fighter, but a true skilled and patient tactician. Thats what I loved about the story, the pacing.

Viking Funeral..just bliss!

I hope the changes made to the story in the movie don't turn me off. I did hear that Natalie Portman's breaking down scene is the most important in the film much like how it is in the graphic novel. I just HATE how the story was changed to make it reflect current times. 

Nonetheless I do agree I love the story, art was kind of hard to follow but this may have been due to compromises made for the scripts Moore was writing at the time. 

I really want to know who V was, I know about prisoner in room 5 but Moore did hint who it could be a couple times without ever revealing who it was, just who it wasn't. It wasn't Evey's parents or this other person I think a cop. For all I know perhaps it was someone masquerading as a cop who knew were to strike and all the vulnerable places.  Who knows. Any guesses? 

I did think his way of building a weird pattern in his room all the time and revealing it to be mustard gas in an attack was BRILLIANT.  Not only was this guy a freedom fighter, but a true skilled and patient tactician. Thats what I loved about the story, the pacing. 

Viking Funeral..just bliss!

378229[/snapback]

The film is being made by Americans, so I don't find it surprising that the film version suffered some modifications to make it more relevant to American audiences. After all, isn't this why American remakes like Vanilla Sky (a remake of the spanish film "Open Your Eyes") and Scorsese's upcoming The Departed (a remake of the chinese film "Infernal Affairs") are created anyway, if not to make them more relevant to an American audience?

Artwork in Alan Moore comics has never been a strong selling point, although V For Vendetta - like his other projects - relies on very visual storytelling, often times going on for pages without a word of text. I personally find it amazing that I'll remember the panels of artwork in Alan Moore books more than some of the work done by my favorite comic artist Jim Lee; a testament to the visual impact and composition of those great panels.

Evey's "grin" in V For Vendetta or the now famous "clock" in Watchmen are panels of art that are now etched into my mind :)

Personally, the story of V For Vendetta is very much about the ideals of "V" rather than the character. In the context of the graphic novel, his identity is totally irrelevant. To be sure, his true identity would be a guilty pleasure, but it would also diminish the message of the book. Being new to the graphic novel, I've yet to dwell on a possible scenario and given my interpretation of the book, I'm doubtful I'll consider this particular matter in any depth. I prefer to explore the more interesting aspects of the book.

I don't beleive even Moore knows the true identity of V, despite the carrots he has used to string along interviewers/fans to the contrary. He merely states he knows to add more mystery and power to the tale of V For Vendetta, and thus more interest and continued debate. All good writers do this in an attempt to promote the timelessness of their own work and because they are storytellers...even when being interviewed :)

Edited by Mr March

I recently read V for Vendetta and loved it.

I think the whole point about V was that as a man, he would be just a man, but as a symbol he would be invincible. If you knew who he was, it would ruin it.

My dad saw me reading V for Vendetta and said that I needed to read The Watchmen after I finished. My god that was a good comic book. Apparently there's still some hope for it to be translated into a movie too. I have to say that I think The Watchmen would be a far greater movie than V for Vendetta if it was done correctly. The only problem is that there's so much stuff going on in the comic. It would be next to impossible to keep a movie completely faithful to the source, but I can always hope can't I?

Rocketpunch that chick in your avatar is hot.

I have read Watchmen but its been years since I have done so. One of those run of the mill visit the campus bookstore and read comics instead of studying for exam type o days. Good times!

Is anyone reading the transformers comics? I think infiltration...is just decent. The art is rather bland and doesn't grab my attention, I think EJ Su needs work even though IDW Chris Ryall makes MANY attempts to stand up for him and promises upcoming issues will solidify him as one of THEE TF artists. Nonetheless Su's people drawings look uninspired and the vehicle alt modes of the tfs look very very unproportionate. Robot modes are....okay.

BEAST WARS however by Don Figueroa kicks mighty ass. Very cool. I'm surprised Fuhrman decided to bring some obscure and japanese characters into the fray...such as Magmatron. I thought it was awesome Polar Claw got some love as well. Not to mention its DRAWN very well and the colors are good. Story is something Im feelin, its nice to see japanese exclusive characters such as Lio Convoy and magmatron gettin some love here, and man Don made lio convoy look WAY better than the toy incarnations. Now if the toys were like THAT....wow. (lio convoy toys from what I hear were not that good but the robotmaster version i hear is better than the original).

I also took a glimpse@ Lone Wolf n Cub 2100..which supposedly was written with supervision by Kazuo Koike. Nonetheless.....did the legend of the Lone wolf REALLY have to go into the future with an android Ogami? Ugh...I dunno.

Rocketpunch that chick in your avatar is hot. 

I also took a glimpse@ Lone Wolf n Cub 2100..which supposedly was written with supervision by Kazuo Koike.  Nonetheless.....did the legend of the Lone wolf REALLY have to go into the future with an android Ogami? Ugh...I dunno.

378389[/snapback]

Her name would be Song Hye Kyo. Yummy.

qy9wf7.jpg

I had read in an interview that Koike-san was planning on doing a sequel called Lone Wolf, in which Daigoro grows up. 2100 isn't that I hope. Sounds dumb.

Edited by Rocket Punch