and this is why I don't actually read comics anymore.

I didn't know they're still making comic books. :ph34r:

A quote from that article:

To ask the blunt question, is this a gimmick?

Every single month whether it’s a run of the mill month for Captain America or an extraordinary month, our job is to put him in situations that place that character under some degree of pressure and see how he reacts to that. And hopefully our readers are surprised, shocked, elated, see something of themselves, learn something about themselves. To say it’s a gimmick implies that it’s done heedlessly just to shock. The proof is always going to be in the execution. So you’ll have to read the rest of the story to see.

But I certainly believe it’s not a gimmick. It’s a story that we spent a long time on, that’s compelling and captures the zeitgeist of the world. It will make readers wonder how the heck we’ll get out of this.

Yeah. Read between the lines... it is STILL a gimmick for me. ;)

Hahaha! Kidding aside, yeah, it's been awhile since I stopped reading comic books too. I stopped reading when Bendis left Daredevil in early 2000's. And I tried to read some first few issues of The New 52. After that, I lost interest. Probably because I just got so busy with some other stuff and got busy being a dad. But yeah. It is a gimmick for me. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3ljm

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

The Avengers and X-Men's 60 Year Legacies Come Alive in New Variant Covers by Alex Ross  

Alex Ross celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Avengers and the X-Men with new connecting variant covers that will run on various titles, starting with August’s 'Uncanny Avengers' #1!

This year, Marvel Comics is proud to honor 60 awe-inspiring years of the Avengers and the X-Men! New comic titles, collections, and much more are in store for fans all year long, and starting in August, Alex Ross will grace the celebration with his acclaimed artwork!

For this milestone of two of the comic book industry’s most groundbreaking super hero teams, the incomparable artist has turned out two stunning art pieces that will serve as connecting variant covers on various Avengers and X-Men titles throughout 2023. Retailers got a sneak peek at the artwork last month at ComicsPro, and now it’s time to see them in all their painted glory!    

There’s no better artist to capture the magnificent spirit of both teams, and Ross’ new covers are destined to become classic images in the years ahead. The first part of both covers can be collected this August 2023 with UNCANNY AVENGERS #1, the upcoming title that sees Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and mutantkind protecting the Marvel Universe side by side!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-avengers-alex-ross-variant-covers-60-year-legacy

image.jpeg.d0812cf432789b9791894d82edf1ebaf.jpeg

image.jpeg.d518585bc2aee79417ee3c403d828846.jpeg

I sometimes wish I was still excited about comics, but the big name’s really got weird in the 90’s and 2000’s and I kinda only like oddball stuff nowadays. But I haven’t been keeping up with anything lately. I really loved X-men comics before they got too expensive to keep up with during those awkward crossovers in the late 80’s and early 90’s that happened way too often 

60 years of X-men, what ?

I'm glad the comic universe is thriving. No doubt many titles i now look over. With the exception of works by Paul Pope and  Tsutomu Nihei , to name a few. I'm not collecting much these days. The only comic I'm actually kinda following now is BRZKR by Keanu. It's ok. It's funny this thread popped up, my son and i are going into town tomorrow, he mentioned the comic shop..

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I sometimes wish I was still excited about comics, but the big name’s really got weird in the 90’s and 2000’s and I kinda only like oddball stuff nowadays. But I haven’t been keeping up with anything lately. I really loved X-men comics before they got too expensive to keep up with during those awkward crossovers in the late 80’s and early 90’s that happened way too often 

26 minutes ago, Bolt said:

60 years of X-men, what ?

I'm glad the comic universe is thriving. No doubt many titles i now look over. With the exception of works by Paul Pope and  Tsutomu Nihei , to name a few. I'm not collecting much these days. The only comic I'm actually kinda following now is BRZKR by Keanu. It's ok. It's funny this thread popped up, my son and i are going into town tomorrow, he mentioned the comic shop..

Same here. I'm really not that updated with what's going on with comic books these days. But seeing this article and the X-Men image that Alex Ross did kind of excite me. Though not planning on buying comics again but the possibility of that images getting printed as posters would be nice to have. ;) 

Also, 60 years, right? I remember buying the X-Men Turn Thirty Wizard Magazine Special when it came out and I can't believe another 30 years has already been passed. How time flies.

image.jpeg.2deb9c49909bcf405ed3f13a1d543d1f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Action Comics #1 premiered on American newsstands on April 18, 1938 (cover dated June). The iconic cover marks the first appearance of Superman, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Marks the beginning of the superhero genre. The event which began the Golden Age of Comic Books.

image.jpeg.cfa46d2b2dc923af9d15317e0dc78fbd.jpeg

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Action Comics #1 premiered on American newsstands on April 18, 1938 (cover dated June). The iconic cover marks the first appearance of Superman, created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Marks the beginning of the superhero genre. The event which began the Golden Age of Comic Books.

image.jpeg.cfa46d2b2dc923af9d15317e0dc78fbd.jpeg

That cover always made him look like a super villain. The comic itself is pretty hilarious in the way he deals with bad guys that have no chance