Okay fellas. It turns out a bunch of us MW'ers are comic book readers. Some of us are even comic artists in the industry. For what its worth I can say a good majority of us are comic fans. From Justice League, to Batman, V for Vendetta, to Akira. So I thought it was a good time to make a comic thread, so post all your comic book stuff here!

What are you all into right now? Any particular artists tickle your fancy? Writers?

I LOVE Garth Ennis' writing on the Punisher comic. Very vulgar and violent, but in some way I find it kind of funny at the same time. "Born", "Welcome back frank", and "in the beginning", are awesome reads.

And I'm not sure if you guys heard but ultimate avengers (the one recently out on dvd)is set to show on cartoon network. Ultimate avengers 2 will be out in spring of next year I think, and Iron man is set for fall this year.

Marvel got back a lot of licenses for movies and tv. They are planning a 26 episode Wolverine animated series. Iron Man's 26 episode series is in the works too. A live action Captain America movie is planned as well.

And did you guys see spiderman's new costume? Ick! Too garish. For an iron man made armor costume, it should've been more armored and mechanized looking...right now its like a garish halloween costume. Hopefully the old costume comes back right after the upcoming "civil war" arc. I think if your gonna do an iron man based costume, you mineswell go all out, not half ass it.

I had no idea Joe Ng had joined Udon but his stuff from gijoe vs tf vol. 3 looks pretty crisp and refreshingly clean!

I also did hear that there will be another Spawn and Batman crossover...w/Greg Capullo on pencils. I am excited about this.

But yes what are you all reading now? What do you think of House of M, and infinite crisis?(OMG they killed off so many people!).

And in comparison I thought infinite/identity crisis really outdid marvel's house of M by a long shot.

And...Bendis did say that Hawkeye is coming back...again. Geez dude shouldn't have killed him off in the first place! And i thought the "winter soldier" storyline in cap america was a rip off of Batman's "return of jason todd storyline". Not to mention the ending sucked for winter soldier. But the batman annual coming up will say how exactly Jason came back.

hehe.. got the first reply.

I am an Ennis completist. Except for some of the old 2000AD stuff I have everything he's ever written. Well almost. The bad thing about that is you realise over time how repeditive he is. WW2, Irish culture, vampires.. some of his favourite themes. Still love his writing though. It was a dream come true when he exhumed the Punisher franchise. I read it religiously as a teenager (started at issue 7).

At the moment all I'm reading is Fables (Love this series), 100 Bullets, Punisher, Hellblazer (been reading this for 13 years now! ). I tried Y the Last Man but hated his writing. Neat concept, cringe-worthy dialogue and cliche characters.

I'm also a massive Moore and Miller and Grendel fan. Don't mind Warren Ellis either.

Does anyone here read The Walking Dead? I'm looking for a new series to follow and this gets some good reports.

Oh, and mentioning Akira, I finally finished my collection. I was missing one issue for years. Damn those last 5 or so issues were freaking expensive.

I've been contiously turned off by 90% of the US comics out there and am done to a trickel.

DC's JUSTICE is turning out to be a beauty of a read and is visually awsome! They are finally asking some hard questions and really manipulating humanity! It's like reading truely good SF! Ross's work in this has got to be his most advanced yet and really brings home the reality and hardness of the writing.

Infinite Crisis, by itself, though is turning out to be very odd and more then poorly written. The art is suffering due to all of the artists and inkers involved and that makes the entire LS scattershot at best. I do have to say I'm glad how they dealt with the Superboy in issue 4. They finally answered a question that's been on my mind for years. "How does he handle the pressure of foreknowing that he will become Superman?"

Green Latern Corps, was kinda of a nice pick up because I'm something of a GL junkie from the 70's. The art sucks as does the plot. Thank god it's short and hopefully it won't spawn a lame continuing series. Or at least I hope so! ;)

Marvel's Ghost Rider LS started out somewhat meh for me and near the end of book 1 started to piss me off art-wise. But it quickly turned into one of the best written or drawn GH series since his beginning! Ennis did a hellva job!!

Ultimate Extinction has turned into a guide of how not to use 3D in a comic book. The art is beyond horrible, not even morbidly fasinating, and the writing is incredibly cliched!!! I'm totally sorry that I spent the money I did on the 2 books. Avoid at all costs!

The Incredible Hulk I've seen and heard about the new 'Planet Hulk' arc for awhile and picked it up on a whim because I've been a fan of IH since the early days. Anyways, even though the beginning is somewhat cliched and the art somewhat so-so blah, I find it pretty interesting since the Hulk is now in situation that he's never been in and his personality it's his normal one. I'll definatly be following up on this title and seriously hope that Greg Pak takes the green one in a direction that's new. It's a damned shame that Marvel didn't get Ladronn for the interior art, because it would outright R0CKED!

Speaking of Akira I really need to set aside the money and get that series... B))

I don't get ou to the comic book shops much these days, so the comics I do read are usually the trades or graphic novels. The last few that I read (and loved):

V for Vendetta (I know, REALLY late to the party on that, but great nonetheless),

Batman:Hush, and

Batman: Child of Dreams.

Both great Batman books.

Been out of comics for a long time, but every once in a while, I stick my head into a comic shop and get interested in one title. Just one, usually nothing else interests me. Last time I was in a comic book shop was just after the release of Batman Begins. The mini comic included in the Two-Disk special edition convinced me to try Batman: The Long Halloween. It was a pretty good read, but not the best Batman story I've read.

So, that's it since October last year. I'm pretty much out of the loop and have only a vague idea what's going on in the comics world. Most of that which I do know involves old favorites whose careers I still read about on occassion (Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Jim Lee, Joe Michael Straczynski, etc). If it involves a film, I typically know more.

The best comics I read were Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman The Killing Joke, Watchmen, and Rising Stars. Guilty pleasures were early Jim Lee era X-Men, Ron Lim/Ron Marz era Silver Surfer, Jim Lee era Wild C.A.T.S., Jim Lee era Punisher War Journal, all the early Dark Horse Aliens/Predator/Aliens vs. Predator, and Walt Simonson era (way back) Thor.

To date, the only Manga I've read was the complete Nausicaa Of The Valley of Wind series and Volume One of Lone Wolf and Cub.

A comics tread! Good idea. I wonder why no one did it before.

I'm not much a comics reader anymore (I think comics are a bad place to draw inspiration from if you work in comics), but this is a great place to get some quality feedback from my upcoming Star Wars miniseries, since this a community I have lots of respect for.

So here's a teaser from "Star Wars, The Return of Tag & Bink Special Edition" (vol. 1 of 2). The book is due this March 22. I hope you guys find the time to take a look at it and tell me what do you think ;)

post-1636-1141360954_thumb.jpg

The best comics I read were Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman The Killing Joke, Watchmen, and Rising Stars. Thor[/b].

Ya ever take a look at Batman:Year One? It's more Miller. I'd just finished it and think I might have enjoyed it more than Dark Knight Returns. It's pretty much Batman Begins, and a few of the jokes and moments from Begins are straight out of Year One. I have to say that I really dug Year One's art, maybe even more than Miller's own evocative but rough artwork.

Fables & The Walking Dead are what I like to catch up on, Fables being the funnest to read. I also just started reading Supreme Power VOl 1 & 3 and dig those books on alt. JLA architype books.

has anyone read Frank Miller's sequel to Dark Knight returns, I think its called "dark knight strikes back"?. At first glance I could not really stand the art its such a departure from not only his first bats story BUT even Sin City(I love the art in sin city btw but the dark knight strikes back was very very lacking in comparison to that and "dark knight returns" from the mid 80s.)

I wanted to read more of the new Jim Lee/Frank Miller batman and robin mini series but could not even find issues 2-4. Seems to be a Miller retelling of their origins.

I LOVE Marvel's "Secret war" from 2004. The painted one by Gabrielle del'Otto. Very cool/.

I like Enemy Ace from George Pratt a lot, (I really got a thing for painted comics). Pratt is also one of my teachers, GREAT man to learn from. I am looking for his Wolverine:Netsuke mini series. Any of you read it?

Always liked Alex Ross' stuff.

And I must admit, most of the batman stuff from recent years was pretty good. I realy liked "under the hood" and "war games:". I'm also a fan of Alex Maleev's dark and gritty work on Daredevil. And of course, Frank Miller's takes on Bats and Daredevil.

I usually don't buy the indiuvidual comics I just wait for the trade paperbacks so I don't catch up till later. I'm currently reading Identity Crisis (I know I'm way too late for the party=P) trade and the 1964 trade of Magnus Robot Fighter, volume six of Akira and GITS2 Man Machine Interface from Dark Horse.

I usually don't buy the indiuvidual comics I just wait for the trade paperbacks so I don't catch up till later. I'm currently reading Identity Crisis (I know I'm way too late for the party=P) trade and the 1964 trade of Magnus Robot Fighter, volume six of Akira and GITS2 Man Machine Interface from Dark Horse.

375968[/snapback]

I;m the same way man, and usually when I do pick up single issues, their actually back issues. I finished identity crisis a few weeks back on my weekly trip to the campus bookstore. Now infinite crisis...I might wait for that to be collected in a trade like marvel did with house of M. Inifinite crisis is just so long...so theres no way I can catch up at this point. I haven

't even read the old crisis on infinite earths! :lol:

has anyone read Frank Miller's sequel to Dark Knight returns, I think its called "dark knight strikes back"?.  At first glance I could not really stand the art its such a departure from not only his first bats story BUT even Sin City(I love the art in sin city btw but the dark knight strikes back was very very lacking in comparison to that and "dark knight returns" from the mid 80s.)

375966[/snapback]

I bought it... hated it. Mostly for the artwork but the story was boring too. To me it looked like Miller didn't care about his artwork, or his skills got worse over time.

For another great bats read get Moore's The Killing Joke. Brian Bolland's art thanks to Moore is some of the best ever produced. the use of match framing from past to present is incredible.

Lonely Soldier Boy - I love it! And I ususally don't bother Star Wars comics. I love the sardonic writing style. Sorry to be ignorant but are you a writer or illustrator?

has anyone read Frank Miller's sequel to Dark Knight returns, I think its called "dark knight strikes back"?. At first glance I could not really stand the art its such a departure from not only his first bats story BUT even Sin City(I love the art in sin city btw but the dark knight strikes back was very very lacking in comparison to that and "dark knight returns" from the mid 80s.)

Dark Knight strikes again is a terrible read. Don't waste your time or money on it.

Millers new Batman and Robin is bad as well. Its only saving grace in Jim Lee's pencils. I swear the first three issues has Batman rescue Robin from Corrupt Cops and then spend the rest of their time and ours in the Batmobile. :angry: Will they ever get out of that car and will Miller ever write a interesting story again?

Books I currently collect:

As you can see I spend way too much on comics, But thats what overtime is for.

X-men the End-- Chris Claremont tells the X-men's last tale

Uncanny X-men-- Chris Claremont-- one of my alltime fav writers on my favorite Book

X-Factor-- Peter David

Astonishing X-men-- Joss Whedon

Supergirl-- Ian Churchill, Jep Loeb-- Need I say more

Losers-- Just got into this Series so I haven't made up my mind on it yet.

Infinite Crisis-- Great Read

All Star Superman-- Grant Morrison :D

All Star Batman--See above :angry:

Seven Soldiers-- Grant Morrison

New Excalibur

Justice -- Alex Ross :D

Captain America-- Ed Brubaker's Cap is a must read

X-men Deadly Genesis-- Ed Brubaker

Titles I've recently started reading:

Young Avengers

Teen Titans

New Avengers

Ms Marvel #1

Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine--- Jae Lee nuff said

I'm in the category of "pick up a few series semi-often for nostalgia, whenever they seem decent again" (like UXM) but generally wait for the TPB for anything good/famous/popular. Waste of time and money to hunt down and buy the first 3 issues, then find out the final 5 suck as you go on. I bought the entire No Man's Land arc a year after it was finished and liked it quite a bit. Not all of it, but a lot easier than buying dozens of comics and trying to figure out what happens when. Also saves the trouble of hunting down specific issues--I want to read JUSTICE, but only found issue 2. Passed on it because I didn't want to miss the beginning. Then they got in issue 1 and 3! But were sold out of issue 2. Now, you guessed it, they got in more copies of issue 2, but sold out of 1 and 3 again. I'm just going to wait and get the trade. Unless of course, it all falls apart at the end and people are disgusted. (Though I doubt that for this series)

Edited by David Hingtgen

I used to visit my local comic shop regularly but now work gets in the way as well as all the new 1/48s.

Now I just buy the TPB its easier and i dont have to wait a month for the next issue.

I like Alex Ross's work. He brings the charactes to life. Saw his work fir the 1st time in Kingdom Come and Marvels and Astro City. I wasn't too enamored with his work in Earth X and such. But his art work is top notch.

Garth Ennis work on the Preacher that was great.

Frank Miller Rules, Sin City an excellent series, The Dark Knight excellent.

Edited by Macross73

When I was in high school, I was into comic books big time, although I was mainly into Image (Wildstorm specifically) and Marvel. Like Mr. March, I enjoyed WildC.A.T.s... until the end of Wildstorm Rising. I also liked Stormwatch and Gen-13, though by far my favorite was Backlash. Brett Booth's pencils were simply amazing (although in his earlier stuff, it looked like he sometimes had issues drawing women's hips). I hear he's drawing dinosaurs for magazines and science stuff now?

Outside of Wildstorm, I read X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Factor from I can't remember when until just after the Age of Apocalypse, and I was a huge fan of the various Spider-Man books until they ruined everything with the way they botched the whole clone thing (ironically, I liked the Scarlett Spider, and if they would have just left him as a player in the Spidey books instead of trying to replace Parker with him, things could have turned out much better). I also collected the various Venom series, from Lethal Protector to Along Came a Spider.

In modern times, I'd all but quit reading comic books. Occasionaly, I'd buy a TPB (mainly due to Venom appearances) but usually wind up regretting it. I mean, I get that comic book sales are flagging, and I get that the writers are desperate to shake things up and try to bring something fresh to the table. But Marvel's been putting out mostly crap (and with horrible art, too... Humberto Ramos could never draw). They've totally ruined Venom, and they're well on their way to ruining Spidey himself.

That said, I've been picking up the Ultimate Spider-Man TPB's as they've been coming out. USM ranges from great to mediocre, in my book. Bendis can definately write, and he captures the human side of young Peter Parker well (something that drew me to the character in the first place). Problem is, the last few story arcs have been pretty bland.

I've been reading British weekly anthology comic '2000AD' on and off since 1978 and currently have a subscription to it, as well as the spin-off monthly 'Judge Dredd Megazine'.

I used to read several US superhero comics as a kid (X-Men, Legion of Super Heros, Firestorm, Micronauts plus a few others) back in the mid '70s to early '80s, but gave up on them when I turned 12 years old.

Graham

Green Lantern Rebirth which brought back Hal Jordan as a GL was awesome. Ethan Van Schiver's artwork is amazing and the story works very well (though I have to admit I'm a Hal Jordan fan). This story is what got me into buying comic books instead of the random trade here and there

If you guys haven't read it yet, I highly recommend 1602 from Marvel by Neil Gaiman. The writing is excellent; the way Gaiman combines classic Marvel characters with 17th century Europe is brilliant. Avoid the follow up story 1602 New World though, no where near as good as the original. Highly recommend those who haven't to check out the graphic novel.

Justice is very excellent. Like Superfriends w/o the cheese. Issue 4 just pushed the series into overdrive for me. Superman fighting Bizarro, Solomon Grundy, Parasite, AND Metallo, WOW :) . Also, I read that Alex Ross will be throwing in the Teen Titans into this series. I can't wait to see who's gonna be on his Teen Titans lineup. Another series I highly recommend.

Identity Crisis was excellent, Infinite Crisis is good, but I think the story of Infinite Crisis is too big and hard to pick up unless you read the tie-in series (Day of Vengeance, OMAC Project, Villians United, Rann-Thanagar War). Also, reading one of DCs Big Three (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) helps clarify things too.

House of M was very good too, I just wished it would've been a little longer, but it sets up Marvel's big event this Spring, Civil War, which I highly anticipate.

I'm gonna have to check out Secret War by Bendis, just came out in hardcover.

Overall, I just think Marvel's writing for their big events is tighter and can stand on its own better than DC's.

Fables is a very well done comic, especially if you like folklore and mythology. Bill Willingham is an excellent writer as well. His use of all the different characters from Mother Goose, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc is very well done. Highly recommend this series

What I read regularly:

DC

All-Star Batman

All-Star Superman

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Recharge

JLA Classified

Justice

Infinite Crisis

Teen Titans

Marvel

New Avengers

Young Avengers

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk

Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine

Ultimate Extinction

Ultimates

Wolverine

Astonishing X-Men

X-Men Deadly Genesis

dang it, I stopped reading comics as it just kept piling up and I had no more room. It was either comics or toys. Right now I sometimes jump back into it if something catches my eye. Right now I'm actually looking for the HC of Crisis on infinite earths. I've always wondered about that story. Now it's collected in one huge and heavy HC book! And for some reason I want to go look for the original TMNT were the story is more dark and the art just kicks @$$! Other than that, I just buy the comics that jim lee, and michael turner draws. Oh and now I'm probably gonna start buying TPB and HC so that I don't have to wait next month to continue the story. :D:p:lol:

*snip*

Ya ever take a look at Batman:Year One?  It's more Miller.  I'd just finished it and think I might have enjoyed it more than Dark Knight Returns.  It's pretty much Batman Begins, and a few of the jokes and moments from Begins are straight out of Year One.  I have to say that I really dug Year One's art, maybe even more than Miller's own evocative but rough artwork.

375948[/snapback]

I've read Year One, Two, and Three. Indeed, Year One is some fantastic Batman, but I don't own it, so I'm embarrased to say I've forgotten to post about it. I too noticed the elements of Year One in Batman Begins, probably helps explain why I love the Nolan film so much :)

Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine--- Jae Lee nuff said

Its actually Leinil Francis Yu(same dude who was on the wolverine main title for a while during the late 90's...he also did issue 145 when Wolverine finally got the adamantium back, and then some issues of Xmen, then Superman:Birthwright).

I read Dark Knight Strikes Back a few years back, its not very good. I believe the same artist from DKR ( Lynn Varley I think) does the art for DKSB and its a bit rough on the eyes.

I'm pretty sure it was Frank Miller still doing the pencils and inks. Lyn(his wife), did the colors digitally. She was also the watercolor painter who did the colors on dark knight returns in the mid 80s.

For those of you who were into Wildcats, Jim Lee is set to do a new Wildcats series with GRANT MORRISON! He said they were going with a pop art feel as well, influenced by Jim Steranko. Read this over@newsarama

I like Lone wolf and cub, and Samurai and executioner. I know decapitator Asaemon dies fighting Ogami Itto in Lone wolf, did he turn bad in lone wolf? Or merely in Ogami's way? Anything drawn by Goseki Kojima I will probably take a look at. LOVE his ink work.

'm gonna have to check out Secret War by Bendis, just came out in hardcover.

It did? DAMN it!!! Ah man I just picked up issues 3 and 5. Ah well. Does the HC come with any good extras like Gabrielle del'Otto's sketches? If its got good background filler material extras, then I'll pick it up. whats the msrp?

And this justice comic....is it painted by Ross or is he just consulting it? I was kind of dissapointed when I learned he was just writing or planning marvel's Earth X rather than painting it like he did with Kingdom Come for DC.

Cerbus that was good at the beginng but towards the end the lack of wit and leaping 10 or 20 years at time left me asking what happened?

The Watchmen is one of my favorites. You dont see it coming at the end and Rorshach is the only one who wont waiver regardless of the consequences.

V for Vendetta if you haven't read it do so.

Miracle man by Gaiman it never finished and is almost impossible to find but absolutely a must (too bad theres a fight over who owns it)

the Sandman by Gaiman is another favorite.

Any one read the original Cry for Dawn (the black & white short stories)?

A comics tread! Good idea. I wonder why no one did it before.

I'm not much a comics reader anymore (I think comics are a bad place to draw inspiration from if you work in comics), but this is a great place to get some quality feedback from my upcoming Star Wars miniseries, since this a community I have lots of respect for.

So here's a teaser from "Star Wars, The Return of Tag & Bink Special Edition" (vol. 1 of 2). The book is due this March 22. I hope you guys find the time to take a look at it and tell me what do you think ;)

375934[/snapback]

That page is from one of the older Tag&Bink comics, dunno if you can really call it a 'teaser'. So, like, is this book just going to be a collection of the old comics, or will it include some new stuff as well? I love Kevin Rubio's writing, absolutely hilarious.

Lonely Soldier Boy - I love it! And I ususally don't bother Star Wars comics. I love the sardonic writing style. Sorry to be ignorant but are you a writer or illustrator?

I try to do both whenever possible, but as Radd said, Tag & Bink are Kevin's characters. I love working with him, when you read a script written by Kevin Rubio, the images just begin to pop up in your brain :D

The image is the 4th page of the first issue. What happens is that Kevin decided on re-write an old T&B short story he did for the late SW Tales magazine, a story Kevin wasn't quite satisfied with. Hence the "Special Edition" tag on issue 1 :) I don't remember who was the artist back then, but I had to draw the same scene and maybe that's the reason why Radd thought it was from an older comic. I tried not to look at the original art when I was doing my version but they turned out very similar (great minds think alike ;) )

Anyway, I owe you a teaser, so here's another page from the same book. Enjoy.

I try to do both whenever possible, but as Radd said, Tag & Bink are Kevin's characters. I love working with him, when you read a script written by Kevin Rubio, the images just begin to pop up in your brain :D

The image is the 4th page of the first issue. What happens is that Kevin decided on re-write an old T&B short story he did for the late SW Tales magazine, a story Kevin wasn't quite satisfied with. Hence the "Special Edition" tag on issue 1 :) I don't remember who was the artist back then, but I had to draw the same scene and maybe that's the reason why Radd thought it was from an older comic. I tried not to look at the original art when I was doing my version but they turned out very similar (great minds think alike ;) )

Anyway, I owe you guys a teaser, so here's another page from the same book. Enjoy.

Edit: Double post, sorry.

post-1636-1141411824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Anyway, I owe you guys a teaser, so here's another page from the same book. Enjoy.

Edit: Double post, sorry.

376189[/snapback]

Sweet!! I like your style man, very clean and crisp. Btw I gotta write a paper on businesses or how companies work in the illustration world, you mind if I send you interview questions through PM?

Sweet!! I like your style man, very clean and crisp. Btw I gotta write a paper on businesses or how companies work in the illustration world, you mind if I send you interview questions through PM?

Not at all! Go ahead :)

376226[/snapback]

THANK YOU!! I'll message you this weekend.

I just picked up Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk. VERY cool. Hulk rips wolverine in 1/2 and wolverine has to find his legs 3 miles away while crawling on a snow filled mountain. PLus its Leinil Yu on art....love the guys work!

The batman annual explains how Jason Todd came back.. ehhh.....nothing unexpected...basically however you think he came back? Yup thats probably how he came back......nothing over the top, and nothing unexpected if your a bats fan. Lets just say pit....I think you'll get the point.

I also got Beast wars#1. I LOVE the artwork. Even characters like polar claw look badass. Lio convoy looks awesome in here. THe colors were done good, I especially like the flashback scene. And Don Figueroa's work is always getting better, so I do like it a lot.

I have not picked up IDW's mainline TF book. I think Ej Su is okay but I'm not a big fan of his work. His robots are a bit too simple in some areas, his vehicles are not very accurate in regards to proportions and they are a bit boring to look at as well as the way he draws people. The transformers themselves look okay but for what its worth, I like Joe Ng/james Raiz/Don Figueroa's work a lot better. It doesn't help that Su's got big shoes to fill in. If his work gets better or if one of thee above artists gets a stab at the pencils I'll definitely pick up the mainline book.

So Jason Todd is OFFICIALLY back now (no impersonations or anything)? He should've stayed dead and be playing 'Go Fish' with Bucky up in sidekick heaven.... oh, wait a minute.....  :unsure:

Marvel and DC need to do a crossover where the two kill each other....

376251[/snapback]

Yep officially back. Reading more into it now, has something to do with another superboy, Jason was DEAD for sure, but lets just say he had some help from Talia.

And he's real pissed Bruce didn't off the Joker after he died, "exact vengeance".

forgot about marvel zombies, best marvel comic in years.

376232[/snapback]

I'd have liked to agree but it's not really good at all. It's slightly below average and the interior art flat out sucks. I would've loved it if they would've had the same interior art as the cover and didn't jump right past the reduction of humanity like they did do.