Speaking about other changes at Marvel.

Wasn't hard to guess who would be taking over the role of Captain America.

At least this make's a lot more sense than Thor getting a sex change. And it looks like he's keeping his Falcon wings, which I like. But what's with all the "let's take established characters and replace them with different ones!" going on at Marvel? Are they running out of ideas or something? I mean, we already replaced Steve Rogers as Captain America once.

Captain%20America%20(Bucky%20Barnes).jpg

Meh, just Marvel's way of keeping their comics line "fresh", driving sales and doing their own slow-roll version of DC's New 52.

The new Thor I can get behind (ha ha) but not at all on board with Falcon America. The good news is it won't be long before the originals are back, just as it has happened time and time before.

-b.

Also announced was the new Avengers lineup and the "let's turn Tony Start into an evil bastard again"-Superior Iron Man.

avengers-now_1000x791.jpg

I honestly don't understand Marvel's need to match comics with their TV/movie properties. I'm not a fan of Deathlok's new look.

Superhero comics have been criticized for years for not being diverse enough -- basically, straight white male heroes, with the occasional black or female hero. The standard solution these days seems to be to take established characters and change their sexuality/ethnicity/gender. Now I think greater diversity itself is not the issue, but this just seems symptomatic of a greater trend at boosting sales in the short-term using gimmicks. DC and Marvel seem to have given up on the idea of trying for steady and sustainable growth, and instead have opted to be profitable by a few sales spikes (followed by the standard attrition) per year based on reboots, character deaths and/or resurrections, gender swaps, crossovers, etc. typically followed by the usual attrition.

Comic book sales have been dead for a very long time. Their movie/tv audience is substantially larger.

Movie/TV definitely dwarfs comics, but sales data from Diamond indicates that comic sales have actually grown in the last few years. Some of that was from DCs reboot bringing back lapsed readers who stuck around and checked out other books (the whole "rising tide lifts all boats" theory). I think a lot of it also attributed to growth outside of the standard direct market DC/Marvel sales -- basically, The Walking Dead (and Image Comics more generally), graphic novels and bookstore sales.

Superhero comics have been criticized for years for not being diverse enough -- basically, straight white male heroes, with the occasional black or female hero. The standard solution these days seems to be to take established characters and change their sexuality/ethnicity/gender. Now I think greater diversity itself is not the issue, but this just seems symptomatic of a greater trend at boosting sales in the short-term using gimmicks. DC and Marvel seem to have given up on the idea of trying for steady and sustainable growth, and instead have opted to be profitable by a few sales spikes (followed by the standard attrition) per year based on reboots, character deaths and/or resurrections, gender swaps, crossovers, etc. typically followed by the usual attrition.

Exactly.

Re: these character and Avengers line-up changes, ugh (I was wrong about Angela being the new Thor) but why oh why do they need to make characters evil or a-holes.

And there's also the currently running death of Wolverine story.

Make mine not-Marvel (comics only, the TV and Movie-verse aka Earth-199999 still rocks)

-b.

• 4 weeks later...

i read a garfield comic strip and saw that garfield had a laptop. boy times have changed...

Odie!

My Mom used to buy me collected editions of Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes when I was a kid. Good times, good times.

-b.

I used to be a fan of Ken Pender's work. Now I wonder what the happened for things to end up like this for him. Granted, he brought some of this on himself by almost destroying the comic book he worked for most of his career for money. But holy crap.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/04/28/vertical-slice-penders-vs-the-world/

As a long time SonicSatAM and Archie Sonic fan (saw SatAM before ever playing a Sonic game), Penders is just...IDK. I get where he is coming from with wanting the rights to his characters BUT what he is doing with those characters looks so bad.

As a long time SonicSatAM and Archie Sonic fan (saw SatAM before ever playing a Sonic game), Penders is just...IDK. I get where he is coming from with wanting the rights to his characters BUT what he is doing with those characters looks so bad.

I think it's about time to just accept SatAM is dead, especially with the new Sonic Boom multimedia thing taking over.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/archie-to-release-sonic-boom-comic-book-series

I used to be a fan of Ken Pender's work. Now I wonder what the happened for things to end up like this for him. Granted, he brought some of this on himself by almost destroying the comic book he worked for most of his career for money. But holy crap.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/04/28/vertical-slice-penders-vs-the-world/

I don't understand how something like this even happens without SEGA just showing up, bitch-slapping everyone and saying we own EVERYTHING Sonic, end of story. This just adds to the case that Sega is completely incompetent as a company and have no idea how to manage licensing whatsoever.

I don't understand how something like this even happens without SEGA just showing up, bitch-slapping everyone and saying we own EVERYTHING Sonic, end of story. This just adds to the case that Sega is completely incompetent as a company and have no idea how to manage licensing whatsoever.

Having kept track of this situation on and off for a while, most of the blame is on Archie Comics' legal department not doing their job while Penders undermined their position and then dragging Sega into it. Also, it all started when Bioware did Sonic Chronicles and there were some strange coincidences in a new character's design compared to Pender's work.

So as I've said before, I don't fallow marvel comic books any more so when I saw this it got me wondering; when did Albert Wesker start playing Hawkeye in the Marvel Comic books?

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-KAI-6685

attachicon.gifFIG-KAI-6685.jpg

That's Ultimate Hawkeye, that's how he's looked since the Ultimate Marvel comics started releasing, they dropped the purple tights and full head covering, he's looked like that for years now.

That's Ultimate Hawkeye, that's how he's looked since the Ultimate Marvel comics started releasing, they dropped the purple tights and full head covering, he's looked like that for years now.

Actually, that's regular Hawkeye (when Marvel launched their Marvel NOW relaunch of their main titles). Also, the AmiAmi listing clearly states it as being part of the "Marvel NOW"-line.

That costume was splashed on Hawkeye #2 (2012)

Hawkeye_2012_2.jpg

Actually, that's regular Hawkeye (when Marvel launched their Marvel NOW relaunch of their main titles). Also, the AmiAmi listing clearly states it as being part of the "Marvel NOW"-line.

Hawkeye_2012_2.jpg

I never read any Marvel NOW stuff, but that's also the look they adopted for Ultimate Hawkeye when Ultimate Marvel comics started launching, and it's also obviously the influence for Hawkeye in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe.

• 1 month later...

In related Fantastic Four news from NYCC'14

NYCC: Robinson Discusses the End of "Fantastic Four"

There's been an underlying rumor that Marvel/Disney is making this move to spite Fox's license of the series. I've heard the comic hasn't done too well in recent months so who knows. Rumor has it that Marvel hasn't been introducing new X-Men characters due to the Fox license as well.

Hawkeye_2012_2.jpg

Finished reading this which collects issues 1 thru 11 of the current (and soon to be ending) Hawkeye series written by Matt Fraction and it was really, really good.

-b.

anyone pick up thor girl #1

Si.

I feel like though I've missed a TON of back-story by not having read any recent Thor books though. I've slowly gotten back into collecting comics despite my better judgement. As a compromise I'm trying to stick to 1st issues, limited series and collected editions (that way I can just read the stories I want all at once).

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Si.

I feel like though I've missed a TON of back-story by not having read any recent Thor books though. I've slowly gotten back into collecting comics despite my better judgement. As a compromise I'm trying to stick to 1st issues, limited series and collected editions (that way I can just read the stories I want all at once).

-b.

cool, how much was the newstand price. it's going for $8.99 on amazon

cool, how much was the newstand price. it's going for $8.99 on amazon

IIRC it was like $ 3.99 or something along those lines. I did have to go to a 2nd store to find a copy, they were sold out of the regular and variant covers at my "main" book store.

-b.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...