• 1 month later...

Ah, so you're one of those people.

Yes, I'm one of those conservatives who's opinion rests for a good part on not liking old classics being ..... 'rebooted' <_<

(the trailer only helps proving my judgment being correct, your opinion may vary)

Regardless of who they put in the cast. bar the original characters, I would have dismissed it as another creatively bankrupt Hollywood turning a classic into cash cow anyway

(and I would have taken it as a creative bankrupt Hollywood "last chance for a big paycheck" for the old cast)

Now, I don't mind receiving some flak for that, I AM getting stubborn at my 'old age' :lol:

But I draw the line of civility when somebody decides for me that a movie is good/I hate a movie "because it has women in it"

If I slowly got tired of reboots long ago, I got tired a lot faster from the recent wave of 'progressives'

Edited by Nightbat

Yes, I'm one of those conservatives

(snip)

If I slowly got tired of reboots long ago, I got tired a lot faster from the recent wave of 'progressives'

So, a movie with all men in it is ok, but a movie with all women is not? "Conservative" is not the word I would use to describe that stance.

So, a movie with all men in it is ok, but a movie with all women is not? "Conservative" is not the word I would use to describe that stance.

No, wrong assumption

If you think I would accept a reboot of Aliens, but now with a man cast in Ripley's role, my stance would be the same

Don't fix what ain't broken

the only difference in that example would be the progressives being the ones changing their stance

That I should hate this movie for it's replacing a woman with a man

Edited by Nightbat

• 2 weeks later...

Better trailer, but I feel like it's showing too much. You could cut 20 seconds and have a much better trailer. Marketing department continues to crap the bed on this one.

It still had to pull the "female" and "racist" joke bit, in one badly done "joke" too. I do agree it is a much better trailer. Still a Netflix rental for me.

One more thing is sort of better. Melissa McCarthy's line after whats-her-face gets slimed is reminiscent of something Ray might have said in the original movie, though it's delivered completely wrong. The rest was the same sort of dumb humor that isn't funny and doesn't fit in Ghostbusters IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly this movie is just looking better and better with each trailer. I think the people who said this movie is going to be crap now have to to hate it even if it's good to save face.

I think the hate is intended to ruin the experience. Like "we can't stop you from putting women in movies but we'll do everything we can to ruin it for you." It's ridiculous.

Honestly this movie is just looking better and better with each trailer. I think the people who said this movie is going to be crap now have to to hate it even if it's good to save face.

I think the hate is intended to ruin the experience. Like "we can't stop you from putting women in movies but we'll do everything we can to ruin it for you." It's ridiculous.

I have to admit they trailers have gotten better, my chance of seeing it in theaters has gone from "Oh Hell No" to "Heck No" but it has the potential to be a Netflix rental.

Judd Apatow is losing his mind and perhaps money over this movie. Seriously, if the film has poor reviews then I hope it fails so hard that Hollywood learns another lesson on how not to reboot/remake classic films.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/03/judd-apatow-ghostbusters-reboot-donald-trump

Man who makes stupid movies spouts stupid nonsense. News at 11. If it's good, I'll see it; if it's mediocre or bad, I won't. That's pretty much how I approach every movie.

Translation:

"I decided for everyone that this movie is the best ever and if you still disagree: you hate women!"

I would like to post the Untergang spoof of the new Ghostbusters, but even though it's right on the money, it contains too much profanity

I dont get the absolute hatred for this movie. Ghostbusters 1 and 2 still exists along with it's related cartoons and games. Its not erased, it's still there frozen in time because no one is touching them.

Look Bayformers sh!t all over transformers, but G1 and BW (the ones i liked) are still there for me to look at whenever I want. These things can never be changed....unless you're George Lucas and try to make you forget original versions, but no one else is George.

/rant not to anyone in general

Having hatred or anger over a movie you haven't seen IS ignorant because you factually do not know anything more about it other than it's appearance. Not interested? Don't like the actors? You think their ugly, unfunny, or for whatever reason is fair enough, fine move on. Put your time in something less poisonous and negative. Don't watch it, smile when you hear it does poorly at the box office or hear of bad reviews. You can pat yourself on the shoulder and say "I told you all so"...but that's all you can say if you never bothered to watch it.

Alice: through the looking glass, looks dumb and not interested, but not on a crusade to post how dumb it is because how the hell should i know? didn't watch it.

No one asked for this version of Ghostbusters, but the original group and co could not get their sh!t together when they could have and now it's too late. Egon is dead and Bill Murray does whatever Bill Murray do.

/end rant

Edited by Negotiator

> Having hatred or anger over a movie you haven't seen IS ignorant because you factually do not know anything more about it other than it's appearance.

Sorry there, they advertised it with one insultingly bad promo, one just bad, and a third one that was passable. I don't hate it - but I have no intention of wasting money on it in a theater.

As for the original cast - after the second move I didn't care if they ever did another and I would NOT see it at the theater unless it had very positive reviews.

I don't get the hate/hatred/hater accusations either; refusal to spend hard-earned money on something that someone has decided, from all available information, to be crap is not hatred, it's prudence and discretion. Mass market movies, specially summer flicks, are absolutely sold on appearance, and name recognition if available (check and check for this Ghostbusters attempt), in order to generate interest... that's what the trailers are for, after all. The fact is that, to a great many, the trailers for this particular movie have failed to inspire positive anticipation and to cash in on nostalgia over the originals. If it looks good to one person: great, go see it; if it does not: wait for the home release if so inclined or ignore it until it hits cable. Voicing a positive opinion does not make one a Pollyanna, and sharing a negative one does not make one a hater, either... different people have different tastes.

Translation:

"I decided for everyone that this movie is the best ever and if you still disagree: you hate women!"

I would like to post the Untergang spoof of the new Ghostbusters, but even though it's right on the money, it contains too much profanity

Movie starring some of the funniest people in Hollywood isn't out yet:

"I KNOW this movie will be bad!"

Thousands of nasty comments using the words c*nt and b*tch posted to the youtube trailer.

"You don't KNOW that these people hate women!"

Okay.

I don't get the hate/hatred/hater accusations either; refusal to spend hard-earned money on something that someone has decided, from all available information, to be crap is not hatred, it's prudence and discretion. Mass market movies, specially summer flicks, are absolutely sold on appearance, and name recognition if available (check and check for this Ghostbusters attempt), in order to generate interest... that's what the trailers are for, after all. The fact is that, to a great many, the trailers for this particular movie have failed to inspire positive anticipation and to cash in on nostalgia over the originals. If it looks good to one person: great, go see it; if it does not: wait for the home release if so inclined or ignore it until it hits cable. Voicing a positive opinion does not make one a Pollyanna, and sharing a negative one does not make one a hater, either... different people have different tastes.

if you can be healthy and do that, great. the promos/ marketing suck, ok, don't waste your money on it. I'm giving it a shot because the other movies the director has done were surprisingly really funny to me and these actors can be funny too imo, not because of the marketing. but as danth has said, look around, the hate and anger is undeniable.

Gotta say I'm a little envious you can watch the trailers and be excited for the movie. I wish I could be excited for it but every trailer just looks like garbage to me. Ah well at least we will always have the original, all we have to do is brave the marketing shitstorm that is heading our way.

Movie starring some of the funniest people in Hollywood isn't out yet:

"I KNOW this movie will be bad!"

Thousands of nasty comments using the words c*nt and b*tch posted to the youtube trailer.

"You don't KNOW that these people hate women!"

Okay.

-Funniest according to who? They sure don't come across as funny to me (and apparently a lot of other people) , or am I violating some kind of law now?

-isn't out yet: "I KNOW this movie will be bad!" ...said a million times before with every remake we've come across, but because now it has women in the lead roles,... it's a problem?

-You seem to lack the basic understanding behind insults, you are also strangely under the assumption that if somebody insults 1 woman (or 4 in this case), it must mean they hate all women

-You also make it appear as if male actors are never insulted, it happens just as much, only nobody is shouting "Misandry"

Why was nobody calling me a sexist for giving crude criticism on Miami Vice or Starsky and Hutch?

When I was flinging insults at the trailer of those 2 movies... not a word!

The 'National Organisation of Men' didn't start a campaign about sexism for calling Colin Farrell a "Talentless Pr*ck", or Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson "2 stupid w*nkers that couldn't carry a movie if it was the DVD in their bag"

Really Danth,.. what do you think will happen if we remake Aliens and cast a man as Ripley, you think everyone is gonna see it like the 2nd coming of Christ, or will it be a Sh*tstorm the likes of which the internet has never seen?

Edited by Nightbat

• 3 weeks later...