A7 can you put up kevin's smith review too, and others that can articulate fair reasoning for and against? ....but not Grace,,can't stand her.

The amount of retarded comments in anything about this movie is brain cell melting.

I think the worst part of the failure of this film is that it's fed ammunition to the really hateful and vocal misogynsts who hated the film because of the female cast rather than because it's a bad movie.

I think the worst part of the failure of this movie is that the "Pro's" went out to demonize any detractors as misogynists

They didn't promote it on merit (which it hadn't, just another reboot riding on the tails of it's classic original), but on gender, which by definition is sexist

1zpjgw1.png

Another major flaw is that to prove female empowerment in entertainment, they should stop injecting women in established classics

make more original stories, because currently, the only thing they are perpetuating is that women can't make it on their own without help

To add:

all the entitled male hate that this film attracted online (beyond any hate most male-cast films would ever recieve) continues to be disgusting

I'm more inclined to believe we take 'offenses' against women more serious

Why else is there a Violence Against Women Act while men are Twice more the victim of violence?

Edited by Nightbat

A7 can you put up kevin's smith review too, and others that can articulate fair reasoning for and against? ....but not Grace,,can't stand her.

The amount of retarded comments in anything about this movie is brain cell melting.

"D+"

Edited by areaseven

That's the guy that did the Aliens: Colonial Marines review, right? He really needs to take it down a notch, for his blood pressure and all that...

That's the guy that did the Aliens: Colonial Marines review, right? He really needs to take it down a notch, for his blood pressure and all that...

Then he wouldn't be 'angry'. Besides, his Aliens: Colonial Marines review pales in comparison to his Ride to Hell: Retribution (1%) video.

Edited by areaseven

Just got back and my $.02 is that I liked it. While it can never replace the original, it had plenty of good moments. It was definitely the most family friendly of the Bridesmaids crew movies.

The trailers really didn't do it justice, which in retrospect almost seem like a bizarrely great marketing strategy to build low expectations.

I looked forward to #2. And #3. I think they've launched the franchise.

Things are not looking good for this film. According to the latest Box Office Mojo estimates, not-Ghostbusters landed at #2 on opening weekend with US$46 million. This is considering that The Secret Life of Pets is on its second week at #1 with a 51.5% drop in weekly earnings.

I think the projected take on this movie was only set at $55 million. I guess they were aiming low due to the multiple kids films out recently. I do think it's a low take especially since the Chinese can't help out like with Warcraft, but I don't know if they will count it as a failure with all the predislike for the film.

I'm simply astonished by just how polarizing this film is, based on the reviews. I was expecting Jeremy Jahns to dogshit it, but he ended up just calling it a good time if you're drunk. Chris Stuckmann wound up giving it a C. MovieBob, who usually hates these kinds of reboots, actually gave it 3 out of 4 stars. Even Kevin Smith enjoyed the film. Is there something they see in the film that we don't?

On the other hand, Angry Joe stuck to his guns and gave the film 2/10. Sure, he's a bit psycho, but I feel he gave the most honest review among the bunch - especially on the spoiler discussion.

my son went and saw this today and he said it was rubbish and couldn't wait for it to finish and get out of the cinema.. And that's without him ever seeing either of the original movies. So I can only conclude that it was indeed a total bag of crap.

MovieBob, who usually hates these kinds of reboots, actually gave it 3 out of 4 stars.

Moviebob is an Anita Sarkeesian fan

So that's not surprising for him to support this movie

And I'm surprised (/apalled) of Comicgirl19's mentioning of "The wagegap"

Edited by Nightbat

Yeah, I was just referring to her thoughts on this issue, i.e. how anyone who doesn't like the movie or didn't think it looked good from the trailers was also labeled as mysoginistic and how people can't even give honest reviews without the pitch forks coming out.

Chris

I'm simply astonished by just how polarizing this film is, based on the reviews. I was expecting Jeremy Jahns to dogshit it, but he ended up just calling it a good time if you're drunk. Chris Stuckmann wound up giving it a C. MovieBob, who usually hates these kinds of reboots, actually gave it 3 out of 4 stars. Even Kevin Smith enjoyed the film. Is there something they see in the film that we don't?

On the other hand, Angry Joe stuck to his guns and gave the film 2/10. Sure, he's a bit psycho, but I feel he gave the most honest review among the bunch - especially on the spoiler discussion.

Even Kevin Smith? He likes EVERYTHING. Kevin Smith's opinion on a film means nothing, he likes it all no matter what.

I remember Kevin Smith telling everyone to go out and see that last Punisher movie. That film was a just ok see it for free movie, but he loves everything. Even his own movies are mostly crap, with a couple gems hiding in a giant turd.

Not sure what people went in expecting. I enjoyed it. Overall, it was funny and had what it needed for a cheesy ghost hunting movie. The originals aren't 10s and far too many people keep judging reboots or remakes with nostalgia goggles.

That said,

an obvious weakness for me was Kristin Wiig's character. While I generally like Kristen Wiig, I dislike awkward to the point of being stupid and cringy characters. Her interaction with Chris Hemsworth's character and when she lets the ghost out and it kills Bill Murray were ruining it for me. Those types of characters always feel forced. That "cat out of the bag" conversation was a perfect example of pushing a joke that isn't funny to begin with too far.

The whole interaction with the mayor and his aide was pushing me over the edge. It was so blatantly over the top and ridiculous.

The siren on the car needed to be the original.

The final boss ghost was ultra cheese and distracting.

The building rebuilding itself was dumb.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable movie that didn't take itself too serious at all.

I watched this over the weekend with some friends and we all liked it. I wouldn't rate it as highly as Bridesmaids (I really liked Bridesmaids) but it was definitely enjoyable.

I thought Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones had the best characters which was surprising since the other two are much bigger stars.

• 2 weeks later...