Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Subject Header:

What's the best thing that came of RT Academy kickstarter?

the best thing that came out of it was i got new writing material for work. "Expert advice on how to make an excuse for everything you don't do."

I do not know them personally so I can't speak as to what kind of people they are but from a business point of view, HG should consider a staff shake up. As the "point man" or GM of a franchise (similar to sports) I think Tommy Yune (sp?) Has failed to continue to grow the franchise. Any momentum was abandoned. I believe that Tommy's tenure has more than run it's course. The franchise needs new blood and new eyes even if only to look at the current slate of potential projects from a different angle.

Truth is that early on in the 2000's there was forward movement. The series release on DVD, 3 to 4 comic book minis, Macross released on DVD with sub and dub, 2 video games on major consoles, and an animated feature. Not to mention toys. Opinions on quality aside, there was momentum but in the past 7 or so years that has come to a crawl. Re releases don't count as progress as the license holder can just use those to milk their catalog. LLA was a release but with minimal new content. The new crossover comics, not sure how those are selling, are just small fries.

Edited by Atharun

I don't wanna give ideas to them but.... Why don't they just make a f*cking Visual Novel? It's a Videogame so they can use all the designs from Macross they want and even made animations...

I don't wanna stop eating Popcorn :(

It is kinda disappointing... while I know Battlecry wasn't exactly a -great- game, it was at least enjoyable enough to play a few of the better missions every so often for some translated valk combat. Not like it had much competition, but it might be the best thing HG actually managed to produce since the original series. :p

I don't know how successful that was as a game, but I wonder how it compares with everything else they've tried to sell in the past 15 years.

Edited by Chronocidal

Guest davidwhangchoi

so did the hg panel happen? please share. i love entertainment.

btw, that guy duke mentioned made me laugh with one comment:

robotechisbetter

spacer.gif
spacer.gifSubject: What if????
Posted on: August 3, 2014 - 6:15:20 AM
spacer.gif
bluegradient_left.gifbluegradient_light.gif spacer.gif
What if Harmony Gold did another KickStarter, but this time asking less. Something like $180,000 for a 11 minute webisode? Could work huh?
Edited by davidwhangchoi

so did the hg panel happen? please share. i love entertainment.

btw, that guy duke mentioned made me laugh with one comment:

Not sure if serious. But it doesn't make the rest of them look good with posters like that. It just strengthens our view of how they'll follow HG blindly.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Not sure if serious. But it doesn't make the rest of them look good with posters like that. It just strengthens our view of how they'll follow HG blindly.

RT4evrr. lol

99% sure he's mocking them. He takes the most extreme views to the extreme. They don't seem to be catching on to him, though.

Whoah, the recrimination from Robotech.com is messed up. These guys are more delusional than Transformers Gee Wunners. Good thing it's not all the fanbase...

's par for the course, I'm afraid. If there's one thing Robotech fans have proven they're VERY good at since the bad old days of Usenet is ostracizing each other over differences of opinion. Harmony Gold's simply invested a fair amount of time into focusing that pent-up binary thinking into an "us and them" hostile mentality toward Macross fans. In the eyes of the fanatics, in order to be considered a "true Robotech fan" you basically have to adopt a mentality where Harmony Gold and Robotech are perfect, so everything that goes wrong is the fault of some outside agency... and lately, since there's nobody to rationally blame except HG's staff, that outside agency is all the people who used the Kickstarter as a soapbox to air grievances against Harmony Gold.

99% sure he's mocking them. He takes the most extreme views to the extreme. They don't seem to be catching on to him, though.

That's the problem with satire... at a certain level, and to a certain audience, it becomes hard to tell whether the person is making fun of a group with extreme views or he's as frothingly nuts as they are. If this is satire, he's reached a level where even I have a little trouble separating ironic mockery from frothing insanity like this:

SDF-1 Macross and The Macross Saga are almost the same. I saw the SDF-1 Macross dubbed, so I will treat them as being the same thing overall. I will overlook the bad dub and Minmei sounding like an old grandma.

While it was OK when I was a Kid way back then, Rick/Hikaru love triangle is too silly and naive for nowadays. When he got trapped with Minmei/Minmay for a few days, what he did would be inexcusable. Any kid from this days smart enough to watch now would think how unrealistic would be for a guy and a girl to be alone and nothing really happened. He could have scored both Lisa/Misa and Minmei/Minmay at the same time if he was a smart character.

That's why Rick/Hikaru is too overrated.

Also there is all this Imperial Japanese propaganda. If you get the VF-1 colors, they are the same as the A6M5 airplane from the World War 2, even the Spacy logo is the WW2 japanese symbol with some stuff on top. I find this too disrespectful to all the Chinese who were massacred on WW2.

That's why The New Generation/Mospeada is my favorite. Scott/Stick is more mature, his actions don't make me embarrassed. I enjoy this part a lot more.

If anything is to come of all this, HG's executives, might only be one, should reconsider the direction robotech has gone. The shameful "do it for Carl" shows hoe much they respected the guy. Come up with something on their own, and "make Carl proud"

(snip)

That's the problem with satire... at a certain level, and to a certain audience, it becomes hard to tell whether the person is making fun of a group with extreme views or he's as frothingly nuts as they are. If this is satire, he's reached a level where even I have a little trouble separating ironic mockery from frothing insanity like this:

(snip)

Actually, I can't even call that insanity... To be fair, the opinion of the bad dub, and old Minmay isn't far off. The rest is just a shining example of your stereotypical idiot teenager (heaven forbid he's much older than that) with no concept of history, no knowledge of aircraft, no respect for women in the slightest, and no clue as to how to control his own hormones.

Actually, I can't even call that insanity... To be fair, the opinion of the bad dub, and old Minmay isn't far off. The rest is just a shining example of your stereotypical idiot teenager (heaven forbid he's much older than that) with no concept of history, no knowledge of aircraft, no respect for women in the slightest, and no clue as to how to control his own hormones.

That's why I can't tell if it's either masterfully executed satire aimed at what is essentially an audience that has failed to exist, or an idiot venting his anger at an audience that has failed to exist... it has all the hallmarks of the kind of shortsighted, juvenile, utterly ignorant malarkey that the worst Robotech die-hards often indulge in, but since his posts elsewhere are him taking the piss, I'm torn between saying he's an idiot or he's someone who doesn't realize his parody is going over the heads of most of the people he's mocking.

Well, don't make a KS for animation of Voltron X Robotech...

Don't give HG any ideas, I can just see Tommy Yune saying to his crew... "Hey guys, I have a great new vision that I came up with ALL by myself!"

Don't give HG any ideas, I can just see Tommy Yune saying to his crew... "Hey guys, I have a great new vision that I came up with ALL by myself!"

Oh c'mon, that's the best crossover ever since Spiderman and the Clone Saga XD