Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Oh come on! They had 6 days left. They could have had a surge in donations at the end. You know, a whole extra $1 a day surge. I wanted to see that clock hit zero as they missed their mark. Now I'll never see that whimper. Now I can't be Cartman to HG's Scott Tenorman.

Hey, they put some background music in the Robotech.com website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLoNOYcVQU

lol, I got in trouble for posting that exact song as the Robotech Academy theme song on the Palladium Books forums back when the Kickstarter was first started.

Guess it's safe to call it...

Time of death... exactly 10am, Aug. 2, 2014

And so the list of failed animated Robotech projects grows by one.

Robotech the Movie: The Untold Story

Robotech II: The Sentinels

Robotech 3000

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

and now...

Robotech Academy

I have to admit, when this Kickstarter was first announced, I thought that it would meet its goal. While I have no faith in Team Robotech to produce any worthwhile stories, I thought that nostalgia and fan ignorance would be enough to move this project forward. Thankfully, I was proven wrong. Even though die-hard Robotech fans may not realize it, the failure of this project means that Team Robotech won't be able to misuse fan money on a disastrous project. If Team Robotech wants to produce any more half-baked projects, it'll have to be on their own dime, as it should be.

If Kevin McKeever truly has any marketing acumen, he'll use this episode as a potentially valuable tool for data mining. He should find out why this Kickstarter performed so poorly, whereas Palladium's Robotech Kickstarter was a resounding success. As we all know, the truth won't be pretty, but if Team Robotech truly loves the franchise as much as they profess, they'll use the data gathered to rectify the numerous weaknesses that caused Robotech Academy to fail. Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

If Kevin McKeever truly has any marketing acumen, he'll use this episode as a potentially valuable tool for data mining. He should find out why this Kickstarter performed so poorly, whereas Palladium's Robotech Kickstarter was a resounding success. As we all know, the truth won't be pretty, but if Team Robotech truly loves the franchise as much as they profess, they'll use the data gathered to rectify the numerous weaknesses that caused Robotech Academy to fail. Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quite apart from the fact that he has never demonstrated any marketing acumen, McKeever would never present a realistic failure analysis of the Kickstarter because if he did so he would be forced to identify himself as one of the principal "weak links" that were responsible for the project's failure.

His failure to get news on the Kickstarter page in a timely fashion, the insulting treatment of backers over on the project's comments page, the lies, and everything else had a measurable detrimental effect on the backer pledge rate.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

True, this is probably the most important feasibility study they ever got within the last decade no matter the cost.

True, this is probably the most important feasibility study they ever got within the last decade no matter the cost.

what study is needed? any moron would realize quickly it's because they made Robotech vehicles, and not mugs and mouse pads.

Fans want toys, models, replicas, GAME PIECES, Anything! Anything besides failed animations and crappy comic cross overs. Like I said

if Mckeever is in charge of marketing, he's the worst marketing person, ever to graduate from school.

Look at the prices for the old Matchbox action figures and toys on eBay. Even if they just re-issued a few key pieces of those products

They would be a decent draw. It doesn't take much to bridge the gap between the Robotech Fans and the Macross Fans.

Here's a free marketing tip ( even though if you're ever good at something, never do it for free).

Dear Mckeever, or guy who doesn't know how to market..

This is a action figure..

rickh.jpg

It can be both Rick Hunter, and Hikaru Ichijo.

You can sell one to a Robotech Fan, and you will sell one to a Macross fan.

Both sets of fans, this is called a double dip. The likeness is the same

only the name has changed. This is a double saturation.

here, I'll do one more...

Battlepod%20small%2014%20PS.jpg

* thanks to Jenius

This is known as a "Battle pod" to Robotech fans, and a "Regult" to Macross fans.

It's the same damn thing, only the name has changed. Again both groups buy one.

On top of that, HG already own's these.

If anyone else has a hard time figuring this out, I'll be around.

Edited by skullmilitia

I have to admit, when this Kickstarter was first announced, I thought that it would meet its goal. While I have no faith in Team Robotech to produce any worthwhile stories, I thought that nostalgia and fan ignorance would be enough to move this project forward. Thankfully, I was proven wrong. Even though die-hard Robotech fans may not realize it, the failure of this project means that Team Robotech won't be able to misuse fan money on a disastrous project. If Team Robotech wants to produce any more half-baked projects, it'll have to be on their own dime, as it should be.

I honestly didn't know which way it would go, I've been so out of touch with the RT fandom and the amount of backlash against it that it's actually eye opening. The whole thing has been interesting on 2 accounts. How a company has garnered hatred around it beyond it's own fandom to what I would call "casual" pop culture fans and the whole Kickstarter strategy. I've never really looked into it before and it's really a quite fascinating avenue for people to take. I've seen KS projects before, but I've never watched one from start to finish... I'd like to find one I was interested that would eventually be successful.

Well that was not surprising. I guess they were afraid of people pulling their support on the last day thereby lowering the total and making this even more of a marketing debacle.

From their last update: "We've also been asked if some of the merchandise offered in this Kickstarter campaign could still be made available. We are currently working to bring these and other new Robotech products to market for Robotech's 30th Anniversary in 2015 and beyond."

Am I understanding this correctly? They're considering selling merchandise from a show that never got off the ground in any form?

Any fan of an 80's show that still cares about it, will look into the history of its creation. Finding Macross, then realizing that the original work is/was actually better than the 80's show they liked, they will do one of two things:

1. Lose interest

or

2. Buy products affiliated with the original

Robotech was never going to survive long term. This saga of poor business choices should have concluded 15 years ago. HG is just pounding on a dead horse. Maybe they will finally pack it in after this.

Am I understanding this correctly? They're considering selling merchandise from a show that never got off the ground in any form?

Same observation I made also... strange right?

I've never seen a franchise build an extended universe just on unreleased and unrealized materials.

Same observation I made also... strange right?

Sorry, missed your post. Strange, doesn't even begin to describe this. It would be a slap in the face to Robotech fans IMO. Selling them merchandise for a project they didn't back? I mean come on...

If this failed kickstarter doesn't have consequences for the personnel composition or the way HG runs it's Robotech property, then Frank Argama is asleep at the wheel.

I wasn't criticizing your post, I was just stating how it's now more obvious and sad the truth is. HG is now (or has been for some time) marketing Robotech more on concepts rather than a fully realized franchise and actually have a few people still eating it up.

They'll fund this themselves, I'm sure. It'll be a one-off like SC and nothing further will likely come from it. Ho-hum, who cares? This time next year we'll be knee deep in designs for the new Macross series.

I love Macross and Robotech [much like I love Super Sentai and Power rangers] so I would have checked out Robotech Academy if it had made it to air. I didn't like the fact that they kept name dropping Carl's name [nobody like being emotionally manipulated. I lost count of all the " Our goal is to finish Carl's work" stuff. So what's been stopping them all these years? The fact that they keep that douche McKeever on payroll doesn't help either.

They'll fund this themselves, I'm sure. It'll be a one-off like SC and nothing further will likely come from it. Ho-hum, who cares? This time next year we'll be knee deep in designs for the new Macross series.

McKeever was already talking about the post Kickstarter era of Robotech Academy on the Robotech forum so I'm sure you're right.

When will robotech fans learn that harmony gold has no skills and no talent to do anything original?

HG should go with plan Z already buy AstroPlan and adapt it to fit the robotech universe. That's the best they can do.

When you think about it, cancelling at this stage is a MASSIVE case of sour grapes! What were they thinking, that they could somehow salvage some sort of lost pride by pulling out at this stage? Pathetic. But we wouldn't expect any better from these guys.......

Cancelling the KS just truly shows how much confidence HG really had with this project. The below quote is from their website.

"What's next? Throughout San Diego Comic-Con, many of you asked us what our “plan B” would be if the Kickstarter campaign did not reach its goal. We will continue to explore our options regarding Robotech Academy, so stay tuned in the coming months."

post-6180-0-96286800-1407023612.jpg

It's easier to walk into a panel (which I believe someone said they had this weekend) and explain "This is why we cancelled it." Than to have to say, "The kickstarter project is obviously going to fail." They can't try to rally the troops at this point so rather than looking stupid... they can just make statements of how they're not stupid. Hopefully there's video...